Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Ghostlight posted:

a con's dildo

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

watching this ATV (:barf:) I have to ask, has CIG sold gun .jpgs yet or just ships (and space) ?

I guess the guns wouldn't be worth enough to bother

Guns were up front. My personal favourite was a shoulder-mounted railgun that was fimed taking down a ship in a single shot in the same bullshot reel that had the killer ramp taking the wheels off the rover thing.

Literally the point where it became apparent they didn’t really have a hope in hell.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why do they have such stupid names for things?

"Evocatti" really bugs me, and "Arena Commander" is dumb for the FPS module. The name of the game itself is even bland and cumbersome: "Star Citizen".

None of it rolls off the tongue and all of it is irritating.

The name 'Star Citizen' was one of the big red flags from me right from the start of the project. Seriously, when you think about it, it's an extremely weird name.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why do they have such stupid names for things?

"Evocatti" really bugs me, and "Arena Commander" is dumb for the FPS module. The name of the game itself is even bland and cumbersome: "Star Citizen".

None of it rolls off the tongue and all of it is irritating.

The multiplayer world is called the "PU".

Evocatti sounds like it would be the ruling council of some vampire fanfic.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

You know, one of the magical things about Youtube's suggestion algorithm is that every Star Citizen video linked to in this thread suggests Hareraiser (The Worst Game Ever) as a related link. Maybe Star Citizen will hive Hareraiser a run for it's money sometime in the future.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Golli posted:

What'd they do to the Naglfar?

Took it to the Mansions of the Silence and trashed it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Dropping in with a random question & observation: how much does Crobbler, or the random sleep-deprived dev minions that get more airtime these days, talk about procedural generation in recent videos?

Because I've been listening to the bombcast's E3 @ Nite shows and noticed that a couple times the devs being interviewed have either shied away from or added a lot of extra qualifiers to the word procedural. Almost as if it has become a negative thing that they don't want to emphasize when talking about their game now. Warren Spector actually said something like "procedural from hand-crafted options" which really made me snort. It definitely gave the impression that everyone in gamedev knows the procedural hype-train has crashed again and this is not a Selling Point for their PR.

And that made me suddenly laugh at the idea that Star Citizen has been in development for so long that procedural generation has come in as the Hot New Thing, and then gone out of fashion again while they're still clowning around trying to hack procedural planets into cryengine.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

watching this ATV (:barf:) I have to ask, has CIG sold gun .jpgs yet or just ships (and space) ?

Oh yeah. Guns and consumable ammo are for sale.

Something like 10bux for guns, and 20-40 for missiles and poo poo.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

iospace posted:

Like seriously, how dumb do they think people are? Wait don't answer that.

I'm gonna answer because I work retail.

I once had a customer who missed me by less than a few inches with a bow and arrow because nobody had come to help him.

He had decided that while he was waiting he would set up a target at the end of an isle past a main walkway.

We had no loss prevention in store to see this. We found more than a few arrows littered past the target In the clothing area.

My manager kicked him out and he had the gall to come in the next day to complain about being removed from the store and not getting the help he deserved.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Klyith posted:

Dropping in with a random question & observation: how much does Crobbler, or the random sleep-deprived dev minions that get more airtime these days, talk about procedural generation in recent videos?

Because I've been listening to the bombcast's E3 @ Nite shows and noticed that a couple times the devs being interviewed have either shied away from or added a lot of extra qualifiers to the word procedural. Almost as if it has become a negative thing that they don't want to emphasize when talking about their game now. Warren Spector actually said something like "procedural from hand-crafted options" which really made me snort. It definitely gave the impression that everyone in gamedev knows the procedural hype-train has crashed again and this is not a Selling Point for their PR.

And that made me suddenly laugh at the idea that Star Citizen has been in development for so long that procedural generation has come in as the Hot New Thing, and then gone out of fashion again while they're still clowning around trying to hack procedural planets into cryengine.

On no, pocedural is still a thing at CIG. They are doing procedural fried eggs. (not a joke)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

grimcreaper posted:

My manager kicked him out and he had the gall to come in the next day to complain about being removed from the store and not getting the help he deserved.
Man that's a lot better than my manager in retail getting 'reported' for laughing at a customer when he bent down to get butter and slammed his dome right into the rack.

Granted he also complained chicken breasts were sold in the incorrect multiplier and that plums should never be sold in bags, so the letter became a joke instead of a complaint of any merit.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

Come on down to Voyager direct for all your nonexistant consumable items for your nonexistant game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/weapons

You'll notice all these prices are in UEC. Right now, you only earn alpha UEC by playing the game. But thankfully you can buy UEC from Robert's Space Industries for real money here. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41 So go ahead, buy some of the real powerful missiles, a steal at only 70,000 UEC. ($70 if you are broken enough in the head to buy a consumable weapon that does not exist in a game for a ship that does not exist in a game that does not exist)

Actually, that's a point, can players actually get these things in the alpha? And if so are they overpowered as hell?

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 15, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Viscous Soda posted:

You know, one of the magical things about Youtube's suggestion algorithm is that every Star Citizen video linked to in this thread suggests Hareraiser (The Worst Game Ever) as a related link. Maybe Star Citizen will hive Hareraiser a run for it's money sometime in the future.
I watched that earlier this week. It was really good.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Klyith posted:

The truly amazing thing about Chris Roberts’ embrace of Procedural Generation, Klyith, is just how improbably it came about and how recklessly it was committed to. You may already know it, but if not, here are a couple of writeups about it:

The secret skunkworks project that changed everything... (if it doesn’t link to the post directly, just search for “Levski’s awkward”)

Calling All Devs (to fix this PG travel problem!)

It’s really incredible. Not that the chose PG so much as how randomly it came about and how impulsively it was committed to.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 15, 2018

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

The truly amazing thing about Chris Roberts’ embrace of Procedural Generation, Klyith, is just how improbably it came about and how recklessly it was committed to. You may already know it, but if not, here are a couple of writeups about it:

The secret skunkworks project that changed everything... (if it doesn’t link to the post directly, just search for “Levski’s awkward”)

It’s really incredible. Not that the chose PG so much as how randomly it came about and how impulsively it wasncommitted to.

Chris Roberts also needed to one-up David Braben.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

It’s really incredible. Not that the chose PG so much as how randomly it came about and how impulsively it wasncommitted to.

Well, seeing PG for the first time must have been quite an experience for Chris. A truly mindblowing paradigm shift of the likes he had never seen before. Same thing must have happened with other never-seen-before tech they have created from zero like bind culling or object container streaming.

So I don't blame him. After hibernating for a decade it must have been a shock to him how much video games had advanced.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Ponzi posted:

Word

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

evocatti sounds like what an italian supercar would be called in GTA

it's really amazing how bad CIG are at everything though. Megaton Rainfall does a great job of procedural generation, and that's a one man project. You'd think seven different studios of professionals could do it even better.

They probably could, if they didn't have the management weighing them down, and a rotten foundation to work on. They chose the absolute worst tool for the job (chris roberts haw haw) in cryengine. There are so many better alternatives. There are so many small dev teams out there making really cool space games, and it sucks rear end that the people who were literally given hundreds of millions to make a decent space game have just hosed it up so badly.

it is funny though.

I first heard about star citizen a little while after the kickstarter when a friend wanted to get me involved. I looked at the RSI website and was like, holy poo poo, all these guns and ships look awesome, and they've gotta be pretty far along in development if they have all this detail about the equipment up on the site. I think this was before they started outright selling the ships too, I think just post-kickstarter. Then I looked for actual game footage, found out there was literally nothing out there, and decided I'd hold off until an actual game emerged.

Really shady, looking back, that they had so much detail and lore on the site. Usually the detailed lore pages and item pages appear on game websites pretty late in development, half the time that stuff isn't added in till a while after launch, if it's added in at all. It's not so much an overt scam as it's taking advantage of people's subconscious understanding of how things go in game development. The development of a game's website tends to mirror the development of the game itself. They hold off on putting too much concrete data up there until that data is actually confirmed to be in the game.

There should never have been a page for the RSI Gatling Gun X-19 or whatever, cause at that point in development there shouldnt have been an RSI Gatling Gun X-19 in the game, it should've been a grey box shooting abstract damage beams at things with maybe some concept art for what the model would look like once game dev was far along enough to add that poo poo in.

CIG never made the game, they just made a model viewer for concept art.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Whos that assface?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

evocatti
gonns
-moons

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Agony Aunt posted:

Took it to the Mansions of the Silence and trashed it

Ooh, that takes me back.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Ponzi posted:

Unpossible

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

evocatti sounds like what an italian supercar would be called in GTA

it's really amazing how bad CIG are at everything though. Megaton Rainfall does a great job of procedural generation, and that's a one man project. You'd think seven different studios of professionals could do it even better.

They probably could, if they didn't have the management weighing them down, and a rotten foundation to work on. They chose the absolute worst tool for the job (chris roberts haw haw) in cryengine. There are so many better alternatives. There are so many small dev teams out there making really cool space games, and it sucks rear end that the people who were literally given hundreds of millions to make a decent space game have just hosed it up so badly.

it is funny though.

I first heard about star citizen a little while after the kickstarter when a friend wanted to get me involved. I looked at the RSI website and was like, holy poo poo, all these guns and ships look awesome, and they've gotta be pretty far along in development if they have all this detail about the equipment up on the site. I think this was before they started outright selling the ships too, I think just post-kickstarter. Then I looked for actual game footage, found out there was literally nothing out there, and decided I'd hold off until an actual game emerged.

Really shady, looking back, that they had so much detail and lore on the site. Usually the detailed lore pages and item pages appear on game websites pretty late in development, half the time that stuff isn't added in till a while after launch, if it's added in at all. It's not so much an overt scam as it's taking advantage of people's subconscious understanding of how things go in game development. The development of a game's website tends to mirror the development of the game itself. They hold off on putting too much concrete data up there until that data is actually confirmed to be in the game.

There should never have been a page for the RSI Gatling Gun X-19 or whatever, cause at that point in development there shouldnt have been an RSI Gatling Gun X-19 in the game, it should've been a grey box shooting abstract damage beams at things with maybe some concept art for what the model would look like once game dev was far along enough to add that poo poo in.

CIG never made the game, they just made a model viewer for concept art.

That ties in with the idea that the actual game takes place between the store pages and forums. Like a CCG, citizens can collect and compare their purchases and roleplay all the different scenarios to their heart's content. For all those daddies in their thirties and fourties that is just the way they like it: it keeps nostalgia intact, they can write their posts when they're bored at work, and they don't have to get their hands dirty in a game were they're forced to interact with players that could be their kids. It's like a roleplaying club, except that the experience is magnified intensely due to the money that you've poured in your account. It's high a stakes CCG and D&D crossover.

And that again relates to another fundamental problem the project has as a whole. If this is what keeps a good portion of their playerbase happy and their income rolling, what would happen if they ever released a game? It can't ever match the fantasies that players keep in their head. Not even a good game could do that. There'd be no more point for players to buy stuff also. The entire premise of the funding scheme is to draw out development as long as possible, and keep it vague all the time so that players can project their fantasies onto it.

The Crobbler gang really struck gold on this one.

It may be that documentaries and books will be written on this phenomenon. But that won't help people against the next project that does the same: when in ten or twenty years the next generation of aged gamers is lured into a money sink, it'll be done with nostalgic themes that are specific to that generation and therefore won't raise suspicion. I bet if we dig around on Wikipedia we'd also find scams from the nauthies and 1990s that worked in the same way, maybe related to movies and cars. Or time shares.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hello everybody. I hope you're all doing well.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Milky Moor posted:

The name 'Star Citizen' was one of the big red flags from me right from the start of the project. Seriously, when you think about it, it's an extremely weird name.

I've wondered about that. I'm not a native speaker so I though maybe I'm missing the proper connotations and can't properly contextualize the names. But to me 'Squadron 42' and 'Star Citizen' are both names that are so utterly generic that it can't be an accident. On the other hand, it sounds almost like something that was badly translated from Chinese on Aliexpress or so - something that had meaning in another language.

Play a game with me: draw random words from your memory or a lexicon. I bet you most of the time it'll be something that sounds better. Maybe it sounds weird but at least it'll be something interesting. Let me try: Stellar forge. Cinderella Starfighter. The Stellar Legion. Brink of The Empire. Pax Galactica. Forge of The Empire. Last Legionnaire. Acta Galacticae.

There, all space-themed names that make sense with the SC lore and don't sound generic. I don't get the real names at all.

Edit: Admittedly, Cinderella Starfighter or Stella Starfighter don't fit at all but I bet if you read that title you'd be mighty curious who that is about.

Edit 2: Chris Roberts' Series of Unfortunate Events

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 15, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

pokie posted:

Sure, you can learn what not to do.

Learning what not to do is just as, if not more important than, knowing what to do, because if you only mimic the success of others you end up cargo culting the bad stuff that's "bad, but not bad enough to make it a failure outright", which inevitably gets cast into sharp relief when the good stuff gets played out and overdone :eng101:

chris really was saving pc gaming all along, by funding a $180,000 "what not to do" youtube series

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Stimperor posted:

I've wondered about that. I'm not a native speaker so I though maybe I'm missing the proper connotations and can't properly contextualize the names. But to me 'Squadron 42' and 'Star Citizen' are both names that are so utterly generic that it can't be an accident. On the other hand, it sounds almost like something that was badly translated from Chinese on Aliexpress or so - something that had meaning in another language.

Play a game with me: draw random words from your memory or a lexicon. I bet you most of the time it'll be something that sounds better. Maybe it sounds weird but at least it'll be something interesting. Let me try: Stellar forge. Cinderella Starfighter. The Stellar Legion. Brink of The Empire. Pax Galactica. Forge of The Empire. Last Legionnaire. Acta Galacticae.

There, all space-themed names that make sense with the SC lore and don't sound generic. I don't get the real names at all.

Edit: Admittedly, Cinderella Starfighter or Stella Starfighter don't fit at all but I bet if you read that title you'd be mighty curious who that is about.

I mean it's all a spiritual successor to "Wing Commander" which is even more generic, it's like having a game named "Flight Lieutenant" or "Squadron Leader"; devoid of context, it could be literally anything at all with an indication of military involvement. At least Star Citizen, like Starship Troopers, indicates some sort of sci-fi flavor, but a genius namer of things Chris Roberts is not.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meridian posted:

Sup, my dude

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean it's all a spiritual successor to "Wing Commander" which is even more generic, it's like having a game named "Flight Lieutenant" or "Squadron Leader"; devoid of context, it could be literally anything at all with an indication of military involvement. At least Star Citizen, like Starship Troopers, indicates some sort of sci-fi flavor, but a genius namer of things Chris Roberts is not.

I dunno after a certain point you can reduce any name a really lame devolution. Oh, its "Star Wars" so theres wars in the stars; or "Star Trek"... going on a trek to the stars. Fallout or Rampart can be equally as dull, although a little better than Star Citizen. Without any context or knowledge, you too could be forgiven for thing Mass Effect was a fancy BMI tool.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Meridian posted:

Let's rub

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I dunno after a certain point you can reduce any name a really lame devolution. Oh, its "Star Wars" so theres wars in the stars; or "Star Trek"... going on a trek to the stars. Fallout or Rampart can be equally as dull, although a little better than Star Citizen. Without any context or knowledge, you too could be forgiven for thing Mass Effect was a fancy BMI tool.

At least "Wars" or "Trek" implies some kind of action or activity. I can see there being a game or a film about fighting a war or going on a trek, but a game about being a citizen? What?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Enchanted Hat posted:

At least "Wars" or "Trek" implies some kind of action or activity. I can see there being a game or a film about fighting a war or going on a trek, but a game about being a citizen? What?

Star Taxes

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I would definitely play Cinderella Starfighter, though, that sounds awesome

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Star Payment

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

This really nails it. Somehow in their raving lunacy, CIG manipulating pattern recognition and community communication worked out well for them.

They put the ship page up, so we imagine there's a ship, because why would there be a page? You're right. That's how things go.

Except instead they advance to the finishing touches and suddenly you end up with people who have likely bought a ship, gotten nothing for a year, bought another ship and repeated the process multiple times. At which point I guess its other phenomena the thread has gone over pulling them forward.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Enchanted Hat posted:

I would definitely play Cinderella Starfighter, though, that sounds awesome

What about Star Fighter: A Cinderella Story?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm still trying to figure out Sata Ball.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

So is CIG

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sata Ball is dead.

Prepare yourself for NVMe Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Ponzi posted:

Variety Magazine: Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dev on State of Gaming

"David Braben is the rare example of a video gaming luminary who has managed to continue to contribute to the medium over the course of three decades."

"And the fact that Universal came to us, and offered us the license for “Jurassic World” — 10 years ago we would have had to bid on that. So hats off to them for that. Hopefully looking at this game, they’ll be glad they did that, and I’m very proud of what the team has done with this game. I think it’s one of the richest uses of the license that there’s been, and we’re day and date with the film. We went to the premiere yesterday, and Steven Spielberg came over and saw it. It’s all gone really well."

Universal clearly don't understand game development and Crobbear's genius, visionary leadership.