Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just as Spawn, the comic book that is still being published in 2018, will never ever stop being extremely 90s (the most recent issue had eight variant covers!), so was Spawn: The Album (which was a fancy way of saying "the soundtrack to the movie") extremely 90s.

Like the soundtrack to Judgment Night, it also had songs that were collaborations between artists of two disparate genres:

I have no idea if it "holds up" because what minimal exposure I had to it when it was new didn't make me want to actively seek it out and spend time listening to it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That trend of "Music from and inspired by" soundtracks seems like an exclusively 90s thing.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Swingers soundtrack was so popular they released a second soundtrack with just music inspired by the movie.

Soundtracks getting sequels was very 90s

Never listened to #2 here, but I'm pretty sure if one could wear out a CD, I would have done with the original Trainspotting soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

Just as Spawn, the comic book that is still being published in 2018, will never ever stop being extremely 90s (the most recent issue had eight variant covers!), so was Spawn: The Album (which was a fancy way of saying "the soundtrack to the movie") extremely 90s.

Like the soundtrack to Judgment Night, it also had songs that were collaborations between artists of two disparate genres:

I have no idea if it "holds up" because what minimal exposure I had to it when it was new didn't make me want to actively seek it out and spend time listening to it.

Never listened to #2 here, but I'm pretty sure if one could wear out a CD, I would have done with the original Trainspotting soundtrack.

Trainspotting #2 is really good as well, itirc, it was songs that he wanted to use but couldn't originally get the release for? I still haven't watched T2 - Trainspotting, so I can't speak to that movie or its soundtrack.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Didn't reservoir dogs have 2 too?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That trend of "Music from and inspired by" soundtracks seems like an exclusively 90s thing. Thinking of the biggest soundtrack albums of the past five years or so, they're either all originals from the movies (Frozen, The Greatest Showman) or licensed songs that were played in the movie (Guardians of the Galaxy and its sequel).

I can't remember how it was for the Black Panther - it might have been more of a "from and inspired by" affair but I'm not sure.

Black Panther basically fits that mold, as far as I could tell only 2 songs from the soundtrack album appear in it (club scene and credits).

Which isn't too surprising because it's actually some pretty raw stuff for a PG-13 Disney movie.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

What you probably heard is a bunch of claptrap about A Uboat base being called the Base of Aces, and interpretations of some of their songs to be pro Nazi (All that she wants does seem to be about a welfare mother but its not 100%, but anyone saying the Sign is literally about the Swastika is really stretching it because that song is so loving generic it could be about anything). The uboat base thing is completely made up for the article as no one could find any actual records of that other than some History Channel documentary. The guy being in a neo nazi band though is suspect, but its not like he was "no i'm not like that, but you know, there are some points to be made by Hitler..".
Yeah, everybody occasionally a fronts neo-nazi band just for the heck of it, it's not like are you loving kidding me with this?

Dude's a loving nazi. Realllllly don't know why you seem intent on defending him or hand-waving it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, everybody occasionally a fronts neo-nazi band just for the heck of it, it's not like are you loving kidding me with this?

Dude's a loving nazi. Realllllly don't know why you seem intent on defending him or hand-waving it.

Ulf Ekberg quit the Neo-Nazi band while still a teenager and has publicly renounced those beliefs.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

And Boyz II Men was great, but I thought it was funny how there was apparently this huge group of musicans that were part of the East Coast Family that either went nowhere or maybe had local success?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZv2cpLReM

Fun story, the Yvette in that video went on to be Shirley in Community.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Ulf Ekberg quit the Neo-Nazi band while still a teenager and has publicly renounced those beliefs.

Sure he did. By the way, I'm starting a new cryptocurrency, want to buy in?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ryonguy posted:

Swasticoin

Edit: oh god I'm not going to google search it to find out but I legitimately don't know if it would be better for this to exist and bilk nazis or worse because, well, nazis

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mein Koin, which would make for some really confusing discussions of how to mine Mein Koins

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Do you have literally any reason to believe that he's continued to be a Neo-Nazi? Any proof that he's continued in Neo-Nazi activities?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ryonguy posted:

Meh, my parents were hippies one step away from the commune so when I was a teenager I decided to rebel and be a republican. That was pretty loving stupid so I'll sort of give him a pass but I'd be wary of actually hanging out or talking to the dude. Teenagers in general are loving stupid.

Edit: I am not a republican by any stretch of the imagination. That's disgusting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not defending the dude cause I don't know what his actually story is, but totally ^^^^^^^

Kids do lots of stupid poo poo that they wish they could forget, and "phases" that last for like a year or whatever, that aren't necessarily poo poo they're proud of later on. Chalk it up to kids are idiots.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

On the further 90s music topic, my senior class accidentally voted Good Riddance as the official class song because it was submitted for voting as The Time of Your Life and everyone thought it was the Dirty Dancing song.

I love it!

We did "Another Brick in the Wall part 2" for my graduating class in the '90s. It was that or "School's out for Summer."

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The intro to the little-seen sitcom Going Places (19 episodes, late 1990-early 1991) could not epitomize the 80s/90s cusp any better. This particular style definitely germinated in the 80s, but ended up defining a particular 90s entertainment aesthetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEXMC61b1g

How have I never heard of this show? :wtc:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you have literally any reason to believe that he's continued to be a Neo-Nazi? Any proof that he's continued in Neo-Nazi activities?

He was a loving nazi and you don't get to walk back the fact you were a loving nazi? Like dude, great, you've changed, you were still a loving nazi so gently caress off. It's not like he wet the bed in late childhood or something, he made conscious decisions to espouse nazi beliefs when he was well aware of what they stood for. Hell, now all he has to do is be "centrist" or "right-leaning" and he'll still be supporting all the same views. Absence of proof is not proof of absence in this situation by a long shot, especially when your proof is "Well, he said he isn't anymore, so let's all believe the nazi, whoops, former nazi."

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
this is the most anyone has cared about anything regarding ace of base in 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You don't get to let go of teenage mistakes because ryonguy says so.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ryonguy posted:

He was a loving nazi and you don't get to walk back the fact you were a loving nazi? Like dude, great, you've changed, you were still a loving nazi so gently caress off. It's not like he wet the bed in late childhood or something, he made conscious decisions to espouse nazi beliefs when he was well aware of what they stood for. Hell, now all he has to do is be "centrist" or "right-leaning" and he'll still be supporting all the same views. Absence of proof is not proof of absence in this situation by a long shot, especially when your proof is "Well, he said he isn't anymore, so let's all believe the nazi, whoops, former nazi."
i agree with ryonguy here. All those neo-nazi people that have left and wrote books on how the insights of how they recruit, how they twist and manipulate groups and people, how they operate in general so we can learn their tricks, IT'S JUST APART OF THEIR PLAN THERE JUST TRICKING US STILL. Wwe should just shot everyone that is or has been a Nazi or a Neonazi that would solve the nazi problem because then noone would want to be nazi then, they wouldn't double down on being a nazi at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You had chemicals boy
I've grown so close to you
Boy and you just groan boy
She said comeover comeover
She smiled at you boy.
Let your feelings slip boy
But never your mask boy
Random blonde bio high density rhythm
Blonde boy blonde country blonde high density

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

The most 90s song is Two Princes, it's impossible to deny this

This goddamn song was stuck in my head for two decades but I could never remember the lyrics so I didn't know what it was called, or if it had even existed and I hadn't just made the melody up one time.

Then one day it appeared on a random Spotify playlist, I was so happy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You want the early 90's? This was the CD you needed:

You want the late-middle 90's? This was the CD you needed:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the most ludicrous late 90s action movie? I think it's a toss-up between Con Air and Face/Off. Either way, Nicolas Cage is part of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the most ludicrous late 90s action movie? I think it's a toss-up between Con Air and Face/Off. Either way, Nicolas Cage is part of it.

Armageddon :colbert:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hackers all the way.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How about The Avengers (no not those Avengers!) with Sean Connery, Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman?

Armageddon should definitely be on the list if you're looking for something more American as mentioned

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All of those suggestions are good(except Hackers) but they all(except Hackers) have a disqualifying defect. No rave scene, you can't be a quintessential 90s movie without a rave scene. Now Blade, Blade had a rave scene. And a scene where that rave was being sprayed down with blood. And the bad guy was Stephen Dorff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All of those suggestions are good(except Hackers) but they all(except Hackers) have a disqualifying defect. No rave scene, you can't be a quintessential 90s movie without a rave scene. Now Blade, Blade had a rave scene. And a scene where that rave was being sprayed down with blood. And the bad guy was Stephen Dorff.

I'm on a soundtrack kick right now, so what was the hit song from Blade?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Did Chasing Amy ever have an Official Soundtrack CD at the time the film came out? I can't even remember, but the film itself seemed to have a lot of licensed music.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

You want the late-middle 90's? This was the CD you needed:

Ah, the Butthole Surfers, how could I forget about those guys

Lmao who was buying this clean version?? "Mom can you buy me the B***H*** Surfers album pleeeeease???"

Dixville has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Jun 15, 2018

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Dixville posted:

Ah, the Butthole Surfers, how could I forget about those guys

Lmao who was buying this clean version?? "Mom can you buy me the B***H*** Surfers album pleeeeease???"

People whose only record store was Wal-Mart, because Wal-Mart had a big hardon for being family friendly in that regard in the 90s

e: It was an actual corporate policy of theirs and record companies wanted in that market so they produced a LOT of censored CDs

fast cars loose anus has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jun 15, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

fast cars loose anus posted:

People whose only record store was Wal-Mart, because Wal-Mart had a big hardon for being family friendly in that regard in the 90s

e: It was an actual corporate policy of theirs and record companies wanted in that market so they produced a LOT of censored CDs

Oh yeah I do vaguely remember that. I did get So Much for the Afterglow at Wal-Mart though and it wasn't censored so gently caress you Walmart, I loved that album with the word gently caress in the chorus of one of the songs and you ain't censored poo poo :butt:

I just had this random recollection that that CD booklet had a strong smell that was kind of sweet and slightly walmarty and I was obsessed with it as a scent memory of when I first listened to that CD, until the smell faded. I was a weird kid

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

You’re forgetting The Rock

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ambitious Spider posted:

You’re forgetting The Rock

I thought about it but it's not quite ludicrous enough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm on a soundtrack kick right now, so what was the hit song from Blade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6UXQ_9IRo8

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My eyes passed right over the action movie part of that sentence. You are right about Blade though. We have raves, leather trench coats, Wesley Snipes, bad CGI, and some motherfuckers trying to ice skate up hill.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably. Even so, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it even if you had a background that was very different than what was described.

A lot of the people making it had a background that was very different than what was described. Dr. Dre went to a suburban high school. Ice Cube went to college in Arizona and studied architectural drafting. Chuck D was studying graphic design (which he has a B.F.A. in) at Adelphi when he met Flav. Kurtis Blow was a communications student at Nyack. Common went to a private high school and then Florida A&M to study business administration. Tupac studied jazz and ballet at a magnet school in Baltimore. The guys in De La Soul went to high school in Amityville, which is about as suburban as you can get.

The number of old-school rappers who were serious criminals might actually be lower than the number that had middle-class backgrounds and never came within a mile of crime.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I don’t think Chuck D ever claimed to be personally involved with drugs, crime or sketchy poo poo at all; he was always political/intellectual/activist to my knowlege.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I went to Sleep No More in NYC, which is ordinarily a silent production of Macbeth conducted in a giant 6-story set made up like a 1920s Scottish village and Prohibition-era hotel. Lots of creepy and dramatic orchestral music.

And then if you catch the witches' prophecy with Macbeth, it's suddenly a crazy rave with strobe lights, naked people getting fake blood poured all over them, lots of screaming, and people having seizures dancing on tables to this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pheJXJzhWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don’t think Chuck D ever claimed to be personally involved with drugs, crime or sketchy poo poo at all; he was always political/intellectual/activist to my knowlege.

Didn't say he was.

quote:

Even so, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it even if you had a background that was very different than what was described.

Just pointing out them out as another example of the people making it also had a background very different than what was described. Didn't mean to suggest that Public Enemy was gangsta rap, but that Chuck D and Flava also had a background very different than what was described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8GbDYeKVZA

Man that whole album is loving amazing.

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to Sleep No More in NYC, which is ordinarily a silent production of Macbeth conducted in a giant 6-story set made up like a 1920s Scottish village and Prohibition-era hotel. Lots of creepy and dramatic orchestral music.

And then if you catch the witches' prophecy with Macbeth, it's suddenly a crazy rave with strobe lights, naked people getting fake blood poured all over them, lots of screaming, and people having seizures dancing on tables to this music:

I loved that production, I've been twice and would go again. The art direction is gorgeous and ridiculously intricately detailed. Malcom's a private investigator and you can creep through his office and go through his files and you go into his darkroom and he's got some weird ornithomancy thing going on. You can pretty much ignore the play entirely and just explore an enormous space filled with creepy poo poo. It's also not just Macbeth, it's Macbeth mashed up with Rebecca (which I've never read, so I was kind of lost there).

I was, however, not prepared for the amount of dong being hung all around that show. The nightclub rave, I had one actor's gyrating dingus flopping about 2' away from my face.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jun 15, 2018