Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Filthy Haiku posted:

God drat Golden Sun was loving awful. I gave it a shot and was just utterly repelled at how awful and bland it was, and how hideous it's main selling point, the 3D render sprites, were. The battles were like poo poo smeared on a sidewalk with a tub of vaseline poured over it and left to bake in the hot sun.

The only reason anyone remembers it is because like all Nintendo handhelds, the early life has a drought of RPGs

also because the djinns are super cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
goons hating Golden Sun? That one's new!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the summon sequences are really cool, too

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

goons hating Golden Sun? That one's new!

why fix what's not broke?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
has anyone said "this is just a port" yet

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

has anyone said "this is just a port" yet

Yes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

golden sun was the perfect game

for the GBA

for 12 year olds

in the year 2001

i fit all those qualifications so that game was my fuckin JAM

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kaubocks posted:

for the GBA

for 12 year olds

in the year 2001

:hfive:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

for the GBA

for 12 year olds

in the year 2001

finally someone with good opinions on this, the dying internet forum "Something Awful dot com"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

also the music was pretty good iirc

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

oh

well

i'll show myself out then

in reality i'm not sure why that seems to be such a widespread opinion considering the content they appear to be adding and the fact that they seem to be building the game mechanically from scratch - that'd be like calling marvel vs capcom 2 an enhanced port of marvel vs capcom 1

but it sure seems to be a topic people can remain calm and rational about on the internet so that's a relief

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If you think golden sun is good and haven’t played the game in 5-10 years I highly recommend you take a look at the excellent let’s play over on the lp archive. The game is an awful meandering mess and the first game eclipses metal gear solid 2's script by nearly 30,000 words. Broken into gba sized text boxes. It’s an ambitious game for sure but calling it anything other than “kind of okay when it came out I guess” is stretching it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

motoi sakuraba loving rules

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

Motoi Sakuraba loving rules

also did music for motherfucking Dark Souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajq6MFS_ysM

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Bleck posted:

No. Bad Bleck.
I probably already know exactly which song you're thinking of (by virtue of playing all the goddamn time) and it's not a good song. It's a discordant mess of half-baked musical ideas that don't build on each other and ultimately waste time spinning their wheels going up and down the scales before looping jarringly. Yes it shreds and that was probably enough when you were 12, but it is not by any means a good composition that adds any sort of meaningful atmosphere to the battles besides "goes fast." The boss musics were even worse for the exact same reasons and the overworld themes were generic and forgettable.

It's weird because most of his other compositions don't have this problem but the GBA golden sun soundtracks were and are a jumbled heap of notes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what a bad post

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

what a bad soundtrack

agree wholeheartedly

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Golden sun likers need to be euthanized.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

isaac is my friend

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Is it even legal to like a game despite it not being perfect? Better lock me up just in case boss

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

for the GBA

for 12 year olds

in the year 2001

I'm gonna side with this. Golden Sun did some interesting things and has some really cool visual effects, but time has been extremely unkind to it and it's probably for the best that Camelot was banished to Sports Game Hell. lest they get Ideas again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wrist Watch posted:

The game is an awful meandering mess and the first game eclipses metal gear solid 2's script by nearly 30,000 words. Broken into gba sized text boxes.

What. That’s amazing.:lol:

If Camelot wants to make another RPG, put it into a Switch Mario Golf drat it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is it even legal to like a game despite it not being perfect? Better lock me up just in case boss

It's just fine to like a game that has large and obvious flaws, as long as you don't clam up and get overly defensive about your tastes without addressing any of the flaws being discussed as valid. Taking offense to negative statements about something you like as if they were personal attacks probably isn't good or healthy.

On the OTHER hand, crawling up somebody's rear end just because they like something you don't and tearing them down by virtue of association rather than basing arguments on the objective qualities of the thing in question is extremely bad, especially when you get weirdly hyperbolic poo poo like

fa-GYO posted:

Golden sun likers need to be euthanized.

less of this, please

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash Bros!!!!!! [howl's like a wolf as I click Submit Reply]

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wolf’s new design looks cool. I always preferred playing as him over Fox and Falco.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I never understood why they gave Wolf so much to differentiate him from Fox and Falco and then just cut him from Smash 4. I'm glad to see him back, along with every other smasher.

EVERYONE IS HERE!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm stoked as all get-out to learn what the final boss is. Master Core was incredible.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm stoked as all get-out to learn what the final boss is. Master Core was incredible.

Doctor Robotnik

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
guys you didnt hear this fgrom me

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is mew two going to be good

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

ye s

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

Mewtwo is going to be evil. It is said to have the most savage heart among pokemon. Even though the scientific power of humans created its body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bongo Bill posted:

Mewtwo is going to be evil. It is said to have the most savage heart among pokemon. Even though the scientific power of humans created its body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

bruh a mon ken change

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Cicadas! posted:

I never understood why they gave Wolf so much to differentiate him from Fox and Falco and then just cut him from Smash 4. I'm glad to see him back, along with every other smasher.

EVERYONE IS HERE!

In Brawl, Wolf was one of the last characters added to the roster and as a result, most of his moveset was lifted from a lot of other characters whole-cloth. His nair was Pikachu's; his fair was Mewtwo's; his usmash was Sonic's uair; his dair was Diddy's; his dsmash was Meta Knight's. Now that it was a project goal from the start to include everyone from previous entries, they likely didn't have to make this concession - but I wouldn't be surprised if they did anyway, to keep him consistent.

The point is, they didn't exactly "give him" a different moveset in order to differentiate him from Fox and Falco as they did because deadlines were approaching and if they wanted Wolf in, they needed to Frankenstein something together in a hurry.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 15, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

bruh a mon ken change

In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Any Arms representation in Smash?
Not that I play it but it would be weird not to include it somehow.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I’m still lollin’ that the Launch Star from Mario Galaxy is an item that just fires you directly out of the fuckin’ arena lmfao

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

chiasaur11 posted:

In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gziC0Jo6I

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Avirosb posted:

Any Arms representation in Smash?
Not that I play it but it would be weird not to include it somehow.

Not yet, but stay tuned because probably!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I’m still lollin’ that the Launch Star from Mario Galaxy is an item that just fires you directly out of the fuckin’ arena lmfao

Haha what really? I haven't really seen it outside their promo. Even on a huge stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is there any sign of a Smash GC controller + adapter bundle yet? I don't own either and I'm guessing they're going to sell out a bunch