Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Re: historical myths

Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy is very enjoyable. Historical fiction telling of the King Arthur legend. Starts out slow for the first half of the first book, but gets rolling after that. The audiobook narrator (Jonathan Keeble) does a great job with the audiobooks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Groke posted:

I liked the whole series myself although most of the characters were kind of two-dimensional in the end.
:piss:

This is amazing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I finished a new novel called Blackfish City recently, and posted my thoughts about it in a few places online. A goon quoted me to the author on twitter, and...

https://twitter.com/sentencebender/status/1006545982526558211

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just started in on Revenant Gun. I missed Jedao.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The Tor free book of the month is A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab. Anyone know anything about it?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sibling of TB posted:

The Tor free book of the month is A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab. Anyone know anything about it?

I read it, it was... Okay. Somewhat interesting setting, decent prose, alright characters. It's alright, but nothing really stood out about it to me. I don't regret reading it, but I don't intend to read the sequels either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.tor.com/2018/06/12/the-wheel-of-time-tv-series-in-development-at-amazon-studios/

Wheel of Time in development at Amazon.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Sibling of TB posted:

I read it a while back. It's not terrible as a YA urban fantasy book but it's not particularly inspired either. Totally middle of the road.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Common consensus seems to be "worth it for free". I haven't read it yet, but it's always nice to get a free book.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsech posted:

I read it, it was... Okay. Somewhat interesting setting, decent prose, alright characters. It's alright, but nothing really stood out about it to me. I don't regret reading it, but I don't intend to read the sequels either.

Seconded. I liked the premise but the characters mostly left me cold and the story wasn't that interesting. Like you, I was not motivated to continue the series.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Rat posted:

Re: historical myths

Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy is very enjoyable. Historical fiction telling of the King Arthur legend. Starts out slow for the first half of the first book, but gets rolling after that. The audiobook narrator (Jonathan Keeble) does a great job with the audiobooks as well.

It has a majour issue with its treatment of Merlin and other mystical parts of the story, and how our viewpoint character treats it all. Apart from that, though, it's pretty good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

What do y'all think of Michael Shea? I got The Incompleat Nifft a few days ago and have been finding it tough to get into. Lots of rich description and genuine humor, but he throws stuff at the reader so fast that I have to reread graphs frequently. Perhaps I'm just dumb :(

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sibling of TB posted:

They were so bland that I forgot how bland they were and kept reading the sequels by mistake based on a very vague sense of recognition.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

apophenium posted:

Just started in on Revenant Gun. I missed Jedao.

I dunno, his role in Ninefox was pretty two dimensional.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I finished Revenant Gun and I think it's pretty interesting how much of SFF has taken a turn towards exploration of the consequences of trauma, how it tends to reverberate and recreate itself in society, and alternative ways to deal with it. Or maybe it's just what I'm reading now? Anyway, I like it a lot, even if I'm not a particularly traumatized person myself.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I dunno, his role in Ninefox was pretty two dimensional.

:perfect:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grimson posted:

I finished Revenant Gun and I think it's pretty interesting how much of SFF has taken a turn towards exploration of the consequences of trauma, how it tends to reverberate and recreate itself in society, and alternative ways to deal with it. Or maybe it's just what I'm reading now? Anyway, I like it a lot, even if I'm not a particularly traumatized person myself.

We're getting more diverse authors and subjects from the big publishing houses and it's awesome!

That said, this isn't an entirely new turn - Cherryh's been writing trauma since forever (Rimrunners) and there's Mary Gentle and others.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

my bony fealty posted:

What do y'all think of Michael Shea? I got The Incompleat Nifft a few days ago and have been finding it tough to get into. Lots of rich description and genuine humor, but he throws stuff at the reader so fast that I have to reread graphs frequently. Perhaps I'm just dumb :(

Shea’s fun - Nifft is basically a knockoff of Jack Vance, and he wrote an explicit sequel to Vance’s Eyes of the Overworld too; The Quest for Simbilis. (And then Vance wrote his own actual sequel....)

He also wrote sequels to Randall Garrett’s Lord Darcy series, IIRC, and he’s done some blinding short stories - I highly recommend The Autopsy as SF horror.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

Good if you like Jack Vance; he spoofs him perfectly. Haven't read anything else by him, though - are the Lord Darcy stories worth hunting down if I liked Garrett's?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

He's the original monster girl fetishist, keep a track of how often it's obvious he wants to gently caress the female monster he describes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Did the person doing a readthrough of Randall Garrett's Gandalara Cycle ever finish them?
Legitly want to discuss the Gandalara Cycle series ending in this thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Did the person doing a readthrough of Randall Garrett's Gandalara Cycle ever finish them?
Legitly want to discuss the Gandalara Cycle series ending in this thread.

I've been updating the "What did you just finish" thread - I've finished books 1 and 2 and am reading 3 now, so there's still quite a ways to go. I need to order the next omnibus, too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Angrymog posted:

It has a majour issue with its treatment of Merlin and other mystical parts of the story, and how our viewpoint character treats it all. Apart from that, though, it's pretty good.

How so? I liked how it left magic as something ambiguous, for the most part.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

Good if you like Jack Vance; he spoofs him perfectly. Haven't read anything else by him, though - are the Lord Darcy stories worth hunting down if I liked Garrett's?

Haven’t read them since my teens, but my opinion then was he does a decent job but he doesn’t do Garrett as well as he does Vance.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Peter Watts new book/novella The Freeze-Frame Revolution is out. I only looked back a couple of pages but didn't see any mention of it.

It's the same setting as three or so earlier stories of his, including The Island.

The crew of the Eriophora - a sleeper ship built out of an asteroid, powered by a black hole at its heart, is on a multi-million year mission to build FTL wormhole gates across the galaxy. But if anything ever gets to use them, they're way past any definition of humanity by that time. And with no end to the mission in sight, ever, the crew plots a mutiny against their AI overlord. Despite only a handful of them being awake for a few days every few thousand years or so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever read 1 peter watts book that I liked and that was the crysis novel.

I just don't really dig hard sci fi, or at least his.

The premise sounds cool though. Is it more on par with his earlier works or is it something that anyone can hop in and enjoy?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'd say it's more accessible than his other books. It clocks in at less than 200 pages, and it's fairly straight-forward. It's still hard sci-fi, though. If you're uncertain, I'd say read the three Sunflowers short stories for free on his homepage, and if you like the setting, give it a shot.

http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Rat posted:

How so? I liked how it left magic as something ambiguous, for the most part.

Very early on in the first book, our protagonist, discovers that a battle-turning spell of Merlin's was a illusion in the stage magician sense of the word. He never once questions any of the other magic afterwards; we, the reader, are expected to take it all at face value.

The Merlin books by Mary Stewart does the same thing with a far defter hand - partly because Merlin himself isn't 100% certain what's magic, what's trickery, and what's application of knowledge that no-one else has.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nah there's the scene later on where he realizes that the glowing sprite woman is shown to be getting due to clam juice or whatever it was.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

Peter Watts new book/novella The Freeze-Frame Revolution is out. I only looked back a couple of pages but didn't see any mention of it.

It's the same setting as three or so earlier stories of his, including The Island.

The crew of the Eriophora - a sleeper ship built out of an asteroid, powered by a black hole at its heart, is on a multi-million year mission to build FTL wormhole gates across the galaxy. But if anything ever gets to use them, they're way past any definition of humanity by that time. And with no end to the mission in sight, ever, the crew plots a mutiny against their AI overlord. Despite only a handful of them being awake for a few days every few thousand years or so.

It came out early, there is some talk about it a few pages ago.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Very early on in the first book, our protagonist, discovers that a battle-turning spell of Merlin's was a illusion in the stage magician sense of the word. He never once questions any of the other magic afterwards; we, the reader, are expected to take it all at face value.
If it were so easy to disavow faith with logic, religion wouldn't be such a loving growth industry.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Started Revenant Gun. Someone please give Jedao a holiday and a better life.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Catherynne Valente must have been so mad when that episode of Rick and Morty with the same exact premise as Space Opera came out. Especially when it was funnier than anything in the book.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Rat posted:

Nah there's the scene later on where he realizes that the glowing sprite woman is shown to be getting due to clam juice or whatever it was.

I think you left a few words out of that sentence.

Grabbed a library copy of The Traitor Baru Cormorant and will be reading it next. Encountered some Jerry Pournelle essays in the wild, and ugh. Like most grandmaster science fiction writers, Pournelle's work is severely old-fashioned. Pournelle was a pioner of the milfiction genre(both scifi + fantasy), years before the milfiction subgenre was created. The best snapshot summary of Pournelle is how Pournelle identified himself* in articles published in Avalon Hill's (defunct boardgame/wargaming company) newsletter "The General"(also defunct. RIP The General).

that would be as Prof J.E. Pournelle, Prof J.E. Pournelle, Ph D., or J.E. Pournelle P.h. D, etc depending on how insecure he felt at the time. Fun fact, Gary Gygax wrote articles for The General newsletter during that time period too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:downs: I need to phone post less in the morning.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Am about halfway through The Traitor Baru Cormorant so far. Getting a strong "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" vibe from it, with Baru being a combination of Harsh Mistress's narrator + Mike the wonder-computer.

e: 3 hrs later, Finished the Traitor Baru Cormorant. I read fast damnit.
It was a good starting novel that had to cram in tons of world setup/world building for inevitable sequels. The surplus of Dukedoms in the book made it hard to care what happened to any of them as things happened to them, maybe if there was 4 or 5 less Dukedoms they could have been fleshed out beyond The Sea King, The Fighty Man, The Lady Shakespeare, The Philospher-Poet, The Commerce Baron, etc
After finishing Traitor Baru Cormorant, want to say the main character heavily reminded me of the main character from Ninefox Gambit, only Ninefox Gambit's main character not the ghost general, the other main character came off as way more dynamic while Traitor Baru Cormorant's main character was more cerebrally detached/conflicted.
Likelyhood of reading any future sequels: Low.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 15, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Hey, is Excession a particularly bad Culture book? Asking cause I know goons like that series but I just finished that book today and I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the "vivacious and enthusiastic" rape aliens, the guy who really wanted to be a rape alien, or the girl whose character traits were that she was vain and shallow and wanted to have sex with every boy.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Rat posted:

That's what I mean. And yet he never questions any of the other magic.

Trying to remember what book the other big Merlin fake out I remember is from. Basically ties a dead warrior to a horse and send it out onto the field.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo. Just finished the new Simon Green novel Night Fall. If you have been a fan of the nightside or the drood series, I'd recommend it.

Somewhat big spoilers it's the last nightside/drood/etc novel. poo poo gets real.

Somewhat lame ending, but honestly the build up through the book would have made pretty much anything a bit lame.

Not the greatest book but one hell of an addition to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Djeser posted:

Hey, is Excession a particularly bad Culture book? Asking cause I know goons like that series but I just finished that book today and I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the "vivacious and enthusiastic" rape aliens, the guy who really wanted to be a rape alien, or the girl whose character traits were that she was vain and shallow and wanted to have sex with every boy.

Haven't actually read it, but it's generally considered one of the best.