Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

donut posted:

Shimano used to give out Vessel JIS drivers at Interbike because otherwise apparently no one had any idea about them. Once I got one it became my favorite screwdriver.

For what ever reason my specialized bike has some weird sized allen screw on the wheels. Tried both metric and English to no avail just way to much slop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

stgdz posted:

For what ever reason my specialized bike has some weird sized allen screw on the wheels. Tried both metric and English to no avail just way to much slop.

That's odd, because even their own tools only come with 3, 5 and 6mm. And t25.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

They are everywhere on bicycles and they are terrible.

My aforementioned Suzuki motorcycle has had all the external screws replaced with stainless steel Allen headed screws. They gave me fewer issues than the cheese grade OEM screws that were prone to seizing, but, as we're discussing, part of that may be JIS vs. Phillips cross-head drivers.
I did also make sure to use anti-seize when bolting everything back together.

Ferremit posted:

Someone better tell Toyota then, cos thats all they use!

Actually- One thing that TRULY shits me? The difference between ISO metric bolts and JIS metric bolts.

Same thread pitch but with JIS you have these bolt head sizes

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 12mm
M10 = 14mm
M12 = 17mm
M14 = 19mm

But with ISO , you get:

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 13mm
M10 = 15mm
M12 = 18mm
M14 = 21mm

So any japanese manufacturer will use JIS, and bolt suppliers here in Aus all sell poo poo in ISO, so you wind up with infuriating situations where you've got something like a bash plate held on with bolts that have the same thread pitch and diameter, but you need two different sockets to take the things off.

Every now and then I go down to the self service wrecker, pay my $2 entry and go and pull a bunch of toyotas apart and just walk out with a tool bag with about 30kg of random bolts and nuts in it to refill my stocks to avoid that poo poo.

Same poo poo in the US, compounded by the fact that US auto manufacturers will use metric fasteners, but use the ISO standard. Almost doubles the number of wrenches you have to keep on hand, as well as your issue.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
https://www.facebook.com/NomadicFanaticUnite/videos/1797139990350563/

Horrible driver failure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stgdz posted:

Some bikes have weird *,5 fasteners, which might be it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Never look back.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

Ugh, videos like this where the terrible driver keeps on terribly driving are the worst. Did he/she ever stop and right the trailer or call for help? Did the cops come and stop the show? Is that trailer still dragging along, just shreds and splinters now? Cliffhangers are the worst.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

"I hate that I get such bad gas mileage when I use a trailer"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

And then, they'll bitch and moan about how U-Haul is trying to gently caress them over for repairs on the trailer...

How do you gently caress up this badly, and then just keep going?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

And then, they'll bitch and moan about how U-Haul is trying to gently caress them over for repairs on the trailer...

How do you gently caress up this badly, and then just keep going?

Dedication, and willpower! And a total lack of awareness about anything other than what you're trying to text but the signal isn't there and gosh I wish instagram would load too I pay Verizon a lot of money for this terrible service!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I work with a guy that would probably do something like that.
Driving down the highway with a work truck and trailer, tire blows, doesn't notice it even when the tire disintegrates and the rim is riding on pavement (you can see sparks if you look in the mirror every now and then). Passenger apparently says "I can smell rubber and see sparks, maybe you should pull over". A few minutes later, a guy pull up beside them, says "your trailer tire is blown". Guy keeps driving past like 2 or 3 more exits before pulling off at one of them.

The guy quit a couple years ago, after bitching that the boss didn't pay him a "living wage" (he spent a poo poo load on weed and food) and then asked the boss for his job back about a year ago, got rehired..:suicide:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

The guy quit a couple years ago, after bitching that the boss didn't pay him a "living wage"

haha yeah gently caress that guy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The nerve

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
But guys, he wasted so much money on FOOD.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Weed happens to greatly increase your appetite. Particularly for unhealthy foods.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, like him and a couple other guys went out for lunch, and so the story goes, they had lunch, went shopping, then they stopped again, because he was hungry and had a separate full meal, while the other two guys just sat there. Its not like he just picked up an order of fries, or a donut, or whatever. It was, go to another place, order sit down lunch meal type poo poo. I've worked jobs with him, where we were on the road, and staying in hotels, eating out. We'd decide on an appetizer at dinner, and then when it came time to order, I'd say "we'll have X for an app and I'll have Y for my meal"
He'd order, and it was "I'll have X for an appetizer and Y for my meal".

I'm probably sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but this guy lived an extravagant lifestyle, while bitching about his lack of money, while guys hired after him making several dollars an hour less, never seemed to have troubles. 19 bucks an hour in this city, while it won't make you rich, is hardly poverty wages.

I started out at this place making 12.50 and managed fine, that was only a few years before he started.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 14, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

I started out at this place making 12.50 and managed fine, that was only a few years before he started.
Since you were working the same job and presumably making the same(ish) wages, I figured what you meant. I personally was just busting your balls for how it came out. I made $18k a year in my first job in Pittsburgh and managed to save a couple hundred bucks each month, and I knew people making significantly more who were living paycheck to paycheck. (Bear in mind this was a billion years ago, I can't imagine living there on $18k annually now.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Since you were working the same job and presumably making the same(ish) wages, I figured what you meant. I personally was just busting your balls for how it came out. I made $18k a year in my first job in Pittsburgh and managed to save a couple hundred bucks each month, and I knew people making significantly more who were living paycheck to paycheck. (Bear in mind this was a billion years ago, I can't imagine living there on $18k annually now.)

*Whew*.

I was missing the sarcasm in the above posts. I was expecting the internet dogpile that comes with someone mentioning living wages and evil employers or whatever. My boss doesn't pay the top of the top wages, but nobody at this place is hurting for money, unless its of their own doing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, like him and a couple other guys went out for lunch, and so the story goes, they had lunch, went shopping, then they stopped again, because he was hungry and had a separate full meal, while the other two guys just sat there. Its not like he just picked up an order of fries, or a donut, or whatever. It was, go to another place, order sit down lunch meal type poo poo. I've worked jobs with him, where we were on the road, and staying in hotels, eating out. We'd decide on an appetizer at dinner, and then when it came time to order, I'd say "we'll have X for an app and I'll have Y for my meal"
He'd order, and it was "I'll have X for an appetizer and Y for my meal".

I'm probably sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but this guy lived an extravagant lifestyle, while bitching about his lack of money, while guys hired after him making several dollars an hour less, never seemed to have troubles. 19 bucks an hour in this city, while it won't make you rich, is hardly poverty wages.

I worked with a guy back in the day whose go to complaint about wages was 'not going to be able to have Christmas for the kids again'. To be fair, the wages were extremely lovely, 5.90, but he also always bragged about smoking an ounce a week an was a two pack a day smoker.

Of course, Marlboros were only 2.35 a pack back then.

E: I forgot :corsair:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

Weed happens to greatly increase your appetite. Particularly for unhealthy foods.

Somehow one of my friends lost drat near 100 lbs by smoking weed until he wasn't hungry anymore.

During the same time period I put on 30 lbs because I'd get high and eat an entire box of Reeses Puffs.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

*Whew*.

I was missing the sarcasm in the above posts. I was expecting the internet dogpile that comes with someone mentioning living wages and evil employers or whatever. My boss doesn't pay the top of the top wages, but nobody at this place is hurting for money, unless its of their own doing.

I mean, there's a hint of truth to the responses -- I think one of the biggest issues facing our society is the exceptional wage disparity that forces some people to work themselves to death with three part-time jobs sans benefits while people doing better scoff at the notion of "a living wage" (often because when they went to college in the 70s people didn't get turbofucked by educational debt, and they refuse to accept that things loving change over decades). But I figured you weren't cartoonishly twirling a mustache while sneering, "Maybe you just shouldn't buy food, then, you poor!"

What really bothers me is that I do basically see that stance on a closed emergency doc Facebook page I follow. Tons of loving wealthy people who got where they are with tons of help from society, family, and friends plus a heap of sheer loving luck all of a sudden turn all BOOTSTRAPS, SON when people show up to the ED on public assistance and have the gall to own a four year-old smartphone.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wolrah posted:

Somehow one of my friends lost drat near 100 lbs by smoking weed until he wasn't hungry anymore.

During the same time period I put on 30 lbs because I'd get high and eat an entire box of Reeses Puffs.

I've been perma-baked for the past seven years and I've managed to lose about 50 lbs.

But it is extremely easy to gain weight from the often increased appetite.
When I'm on work travel and have to take a week off, I have hardly any appetite at all. It's me, the horrible biological failure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wolrah posted:

It depends on the weed. Not all grows produce a high with munchies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

It depends on the weed. Not all grows produce a high with munchies.

I never thought I would see botany :biotruths:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
All employers should pay enough to support a weed habit and weed doesnt make people hungry, truly a great page of the horrible mechanical failure thread.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

CarForumPoster posted:

All employers should pay enough to support a weed habit and weed doesnt make people hungry, truly a great page of the horrible mechanical failure thread.

but unironically

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Crossposting a THING I found whilst working on a vehicle I bought a couple months ago.

Javid posted:

what the gently caress

WHAT the gently caress

I don't even know what wire that is or if it even affects this issue but WHAT THE gently caress

Javid posted:

It's a gob of epoxy putty. I tore it out and did a crimp connector on the two original wire ends. I hope it doesn't contain a resistor or something.

Spoiler alert: it contained a resistor and I had to reattach it. At least it's zip tied to something so it's not slapping around in there freely anymore!

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

That looks expensive. What was it?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Maslovo posted:

Looks like a collet.

A very cheap collet, I'm sure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Maslovo posted:

Looks like a tool changer. A tool changer that got misaligned. Badly. The machinist was probably overriding and clearing faults constantly for it to do that.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Javid posted:

Crossposting a THING I found whilst working on a vehicle I bought a couple months ago.

Spoiler alert: it contained a resistor and I had to reattach it. At least it's zip tied to something so it's not slapping around in there freely anymore!

I like the wires nearby that are tied in knots for reasons.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That blue wire that's in a literal knot isn't even connected to anything, it's just like 8 inches of wire tied around something. I dunno why. The dude's twist-and-tape splices are EVERYWHERE. I'm currently tearing my hair out chasing down electrical issues that I'm sure are going to trace back to one of those boogers coming apart balls deep in a conduit somewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe he couldn't find the zip ties that day. Or tape. Or Velcro.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BloodBag posted:

Looks like a tool changer. A tool changer that got misaligned. Badly. The machinist was probably overriding and clearing faults constantly for it to do that.

Its a tool changer, yep. One which was misaligned with great force. (Not my picture, but obvious)

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Javid posted:

I did something like this my last month of grad school to finish a project before I left lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Javid posted:

Or put another way, whatever it was, it's a resistor now

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone bodging a resistor into a car's wiring is a sure sign they were attempting to make an incompatible part compatible, and instead of rethinking their decisions they press on with new bad decisions.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
But why coat it in epoxy? Resistors give off heat, they need air

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The Door Frame posted:

Contain the heat, don't want it to contaminate the rest of the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe the PO was concerned about it getting wet and/or arcing?

He's show himself to be pretty weird.