Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Asphyxious posted:

What year is it where Nefud is? Jesus Christ.

It’s 2018 in Seattle. You know, the place that’s proudly ahead of the curve on most social justice issues in the US and kept net neutrality as an encore.

Fans have been fixing lovely problematic stories using mental gymnastics for decades now and IDW Arcee isn’t any different. I’m not saying it isn’t offensive, I’m not saying it should be dredged up again or god forbid repeated. I’m sharing my own mental short circuit to find something enjoyable about it. Heavens to murgatroyd what a nazi I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The problem isn't that you found a way to enjoy it, what has rankled people is how you've accused people of "getting their rocks off" by being offended. That's bullroar and always has been.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I guess I forgot those people actually exist instead of just being a fun idea to laugh about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You mean trans people?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Christ you’ve always been a useless little twat. Good to see you’ve learned nothing over the years.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
hey guys check out my TRANSFORMERS!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheDK posted:

Those are some sweet Transformers.

Here is what I lovingly call the "Wrong Color Squad:"

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Those are some sweet Transformers.

Here is what I lovingly call the "Wrong Color Squad:"

drat that G2 Bumblebee head is a lot cooler than I had realized. I would like a black repaint with either a red or purple visor. Then I could stick him in my evil-squad with the black MMC Cliffjumper I also want.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheDK posted:

noice, i need to invest more in pocket scale. iron factory dudicus is rad, look into that!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

noice, i need to invest more in pocket scale. iron factory dudicus is rad, look into that!

It's definitely on my want-list. Might try to get a deal at TFCon Chicago if I can wait that long.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trying to retroactively justify 1980s sexism is always going to be really awkward, but making being a woman some kind of hideous body horror fate is definitely towards the bottom of the list.

Caminus was a lot more graceful, even if all women being from an alien planet is still a little weird. Windblade's a great addition to canon, even if I have a couple small issues with her design.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheDK posted:

drat that G2 Bumblebee head is a lot cooler than I had realized. I would like a black repaint with either a red or purple visor. Then I could stick him in my evil-squad with the black MMC Cliffjumper I also want.
Green with purple visor and black and yellow accents. Wasp is the best evil bumblebee repaint.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SlothfulCobra posted:

Caminus was a lot more graceful, even if all women being from an alien planet is still a little weird.

Caminus seems more like it was just a colony that just happened to be mostly women, there are still men on it. Like the other colonies have female bots, so it comes across as a lot less weird and creepy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Caminus was a lot more graceful, even if all women being from an alien planet is still a little weird. Windblade's a great addition to canon, even if I have a couple small issues with her design.

Did they ever get around to saying why Cybertron stopped having gender?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Trying to retroactively justify 1980s sexism is always going to be really awkward, but making being a woman some kind of hideous body horror fate is definitely towards the bottom of the list.

See the weird thing is, the cartoon has NEVER had a problem with lady Transformers existing. They were just a thing in the the G1 cartoon and in Beast Wars, no one blinked an eye.

But for some reason in the comics they're this huge loving problem and of course the toyline

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Burkion posted:

See the weird thing is, the cartoon has NEVER had a problem with lady Transformers existing. They were just a thing in the the G1 cartoon and in Beast Wars, no one blinked an eye.

But for some reason in the comics they're this huge loving problem and of course the toyline
It was always Furman that wrote the dodgy issues too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Burkion posted:

That's not just a TF problem though, lots of early toy lines never featured the women characters because execs thought that boys only wanted to play with male objects, and would classify female toys as "for girls," and not buy them. How wrong they were.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anora posted:

That's not just a TF problem though, lots of early toy lines never featured the women characters because execs thought that boys only wanted to play with male objects, and would classify female toys as "for girls," and not buy them. How wrong they were.

That's still got nothing to do with the fact that the comics invented the problem of Transformers being mono gendered, which has NEVER been the case in the show or any toyline after G1.

Even if Beast Wars basically just said a bunch of male looking figures were female.

Like why did that become a thing in the comics? I was never aware that there was supposed to be a weird boys only thing on Transformers until I looked more into them

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Toyhax/Reprolabels have previewed the stickers for IF Dudicus. Aww yiss.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Hey look! More transformers!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheDK posted:

Hey look! More transformers!

I wonder if IF will make a Thunderclash out of their Tarn.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IF Legends scale are my new favourite toy line but god drat I wish they weren't so pricey for their size because they would be a ton of fun as a desk toy but also small enough to be easily stolen.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if IF will make a Thunderclash out of their Tarn.

You know I completely forgot about the IF DJD guys. Gotta add them to my want-list now, too. Thanks A LOT!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

That's still got nothing to do with the fact that the comics invented the problem of Transformers being mono gendered, which has NEVER been the case in the show or any toyline after G1.

Even if Beast Wars basically just said a bunch of male looking figures were female.

Like why did that become a thing in the comics? I was never aware that there was supposed to be a weird boys only thing on Transformers until I looked more into them

I think it would be more interesting if they didn't even have a concept of gender, why on earth does an alien robot have to have boobs? Though I would miss people melting down about gay robots.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TF Source tells me Predaking is up for pre-order. If somebody wants. Me, at this point I'd rather save for Feral Rex.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fsmhunk posted:

I think it would be more interesting if they didn't even have a concept of gender, why on earth does an alien robot have to have boobs? Though I would miss people melting down about gay robots.

The problem here is that the concept of having no gender is impossible for the Transformers characters as they are.

Megatron and Optimus Prime, to name only TWO, are extremely masculine characters.

No Gender does not default to Male. It means that they are men.

That means that there are, or should be, feminine Transformers. Like, most of the Transformers are written as male characters.

The only one who is probably male but could work for either is like, Transformers Prime Soundwave. He's pretty non gendered just due to design and character

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
IDW already had that they didn't have the concept of gender - everyone's really confused when the Camiens came in using words like "she". And early on in MTMTE typically super-male Transformers like Rodimus and Drift have both masculine and feminine aspects to their designs, not to mention Chromedome and Whirl having nonhuman builds.

I don't think more than that's needed. Anode makes it a little more unclear, too.

You have to consider that it's weird that Transformers look human or speak English at all.
If they didn't, though, people would not like them.
2007 movie was going to feature Transformers who did not talk because writers did not understand why alien robots should be humanlike and didn't realize people liked them as characters until they read message boards. Once they understand, female Transformers were fine - if they can have male voices they can have female voices.
And the cartoons only have 10-20 minutes with an audience of small children to really bring this up. It's only Furman who has been a problem with how hostile and angry he gets with the concept of a female Transformer that's caused all this poo poo to begin with.

Honestly, we can talk about how there's a possible Transformers concept and you can totally see a Transformer story where they're not gendered and the people who don't like it are totally out of it, man, but at the end of the day you're asking others to respect and understand something that only exists within your own head. If you like your ideas so much, write them and link them. Worked for James Roberts. Otherwise we're just like a tvtropes wild mass guessing page.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the 1980s were a drat avalanche of toy-marketing truisms from the market of toys for children really opening up. It's not particularly unusual for individual demographics to be targeted by advertising, but there was just such an amazing lack of subtlety that left very real societal scars. Toy marketing is even one of the reasons why women got pushed out of programming.

The original G1 material did have a few feminine robots, but there was definitely a bias in the original material against them. All the girl robots except for one were supposedly "in hiding" for millions of years.

Burkion posted:

The only one who is probably male but could work for either is like, Transformers Prime Soundwave. He's pretty non gendered just due to design and character

There were a lot of real interesting character designs with Prime. I always thought that Starscream seemed like he basically had the same sort of design as Arcee so that they were the same sort of "species" of transformer, so even though Arcee was the only female for the longest time, it wasn't like she was some kind of severe departure from the rest design-wise.

Of course, as a kid I played the hell out of transmetal Airazor without ever realizing that it was supposed to be a girl, so I'm not good at catching onto things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Beast Wars also lends itself to male and female gendered robots even more readily, though it's still there for G1 era, because the Maximals and Predacons were basically bio technological. They were a cybernetic race at that point, organic and technology mixed.

Rattrap makes references about strip clubs on Cybertron, Tigertron and Airrazor were fuckin, and Silverbolt and Blackarachnia were REALLY loving.

And well, a lot of ball jokes in Beast Wars. A lot of ball jokes. So many testicle jokes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For the "what I would do if I could be in charge of a TF series" kind of brainstorming I like to do, I've actually put a lot of thought into how gender fits into Cybertronian society, not just among the Autobots and Decepticons stuck on Earth, but back home on Cybertron among the NAILS*, and to put it lightly like everything else regarding a race of immortal robotic shapeshifters^ it's extremely complicated and diverse

*one of the core concepts for this idea is that both sides lost the war, but not in the way it usually happens(with Cybertron dying in some form), instead the civilian population just got sick of both factions and kicked them out, which is why there's a couple thousand space robots bumming around in our Solar System, they've got nowhere else to go

^another core concept is that Cybertronians are truly Immortal, sure you can blow up the rest of their body, but the Spark itself is truly indestructible, which is why the war between the Autobots and Decepticons has gone on so long, it's a problem that literally cannot be solved by violence

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

IF Legends scale are my new favourite toy line but god drat I wish they weren't so pricey for their size because they would be a ton of fun as a desk toy but also small enough to be easily stolen.

They’ve gotten a hell of a lot cheaper. Like, Warpath who’s coming very soon only cost me £22. That’s only a few quid more than a deluxe these days.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fsmhunk posted:

No, we can't have that. We can't not apply our hu-mon values to alien space robot toys.

I like the gay (by Earth standards) robots, personally. I could stand to read more of that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Fsmhunk posted:

Roboobs are the dumbest goddamn thing.
I agree that from an in-universe perspective where they're a mechanical race that don't reproduce so much as can build new friends, robots don't need gender. But I think the obvious problem is no gender very quickly becomes one gender becomes male by default because blocky robots with cannons and all the famous ones have appeared in media with obviously male voices. So then progressives are mad because all the robots are men even if they're not technically men, and the regressives are mad that all the robots are gay by default. You can't win. So whatever. Why not. Some robots are women because reasons that don't have to make any beep-boop logical sense. Of course this is still gonna make regressives mad because it acknowledges women as existing, but they're a demographic that, if you're making them happy, you're doing something wrong.
I just.. I just wish said robot women didn't have roboobs. They're not mammals, got dangit!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Predaking is up for pre-order on BBTS and Amazon if anyone is gonna bite. $160

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079VNNGM5/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529094864&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=transformers-20

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

All transformers should have a great rack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I might add that Arcee was not added because of any angry feminists. According to what I read on TFwiki, Rod Friedman wanted a Transformer for his Transformer-loving daughter to be put in the movie.

quote:

And they were absolutely resistant to Arcee. I said I had a daughter who loves this stuff. There are other girls that like it. Put in a female Autobot!

you have to remember, even with the IDW comics... we are not the target audience. Had the Transformers not been humanlike in the name of realism, I don't think we'd be talking about them today.

And again, IDW did their best with that in the modern era. I've seen people get mad at designs like Aileron anyway and see it as more of a conspiracy against them. I don't see why more feminized designs make less sense than Ravage, Laserbeak, or Sky Lynx anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the angry feminists thing was from Furman's story, and from there it seemed to become something apocryphally happened in real life in people's minds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were girl gobots first.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

^another core concept is that Cybertronians are truly Immortal, sure you can blow up the rest of their body, but the Spark itself is truly indestructible, which is why the war between the Autobots and Decepticons has gone on so long, it's a problem that literally cannot be solved by violence

You mean they can make new toys without making new characters? Hasbro will give you all the monies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Studio Series Ironhide looks quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZiMX5Yl0w