Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This used to be a good thread, why is it now the zaurg thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

This used to be a good thread, why is it now the zaurg thread?

:wellpiss:

I paid for that, so I'm gonna keep using it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zaurg posted:

What if the 16 year old car has 53k miles on it and I bought it from the original owner (my grandma) @ 28k miles. She kept it in her garage / drove to church on Sundays. I left that part out when posting quickly earlier.

FAUXTON I hear you and that's what I worry about... let's say I fix this now and then a bunch of other things start deteriorating.

- water intrusion is already an issue in the trunk.
- I had water pump replaced about 6 months ago for ~$300.
- I have reoccurring electrical problems that get "fixed" for a few months and then return. The last time, last year, was that my door locks were broken and draining the battery. Now door locks work fine but battery was dead twice today and battery is only 1 year old.

$300 isn't an entirely unreasonable expense even if your car is that old. The low mileage for that age isn't a huge factor in the aging of a lot of components that aren't made of metal, though. Hoses/belts/gaskets sure, but wiring not so much. One thing that happens with more modern cars as they age is how the PCV valve will quietly go bad. A bad PCV valve will usually not immediately cause a check engine light or any noticeable performance issues, but because it deals with venting stuff like oil vapors and blown-out combustion products out of the crankcase, the lack of that function means that poo poo can build up in the guts of your engine, robbing you of engine power over time and thus increasing gas consumption.

PCV valve is a stupid cheap and easy fix though, if you catch it. EGR poo poo? Hoo boy. Oxygen sensors going bad means your engine computer will get bad (low-voltage) signals saying the exhaust is super lean, and that it needs to run rich to compensate. So you're going to burn extra gas from those. Combine that with a bad PCV valve and you've got a faster buildup of gunk in the crankcase being compounded with a lack of ventilation. That extra poo poo going around your piston rings will wear on the gaskets, causing them to rob your engine of power (using more gas to go from A to B) and to raise the likelihood of failure. Sludge buildup will increase mechanical stresses on the function of your engine - every part that bears some kind of force between the piston head and the transmission will deal with the greater friction, making bigtime replace-your-engine problems like a thrown rod more and more likely over time. That rich exhaust will start clogging your catalytic converter too - this might light your car on fire but more likely it'll just reduce engine power more. More frequent oil changes can slow this whole process down but it won't stop it and those sensors/valves (excluding the PCV valve which is almost always less than $10 and something you can fix without tools while parked in front of autozone or what have you) can get expensive to buy, let alone have a mechanic do the work for you.

EGR failure will gently caress with the ECU to a point where it causes misfires in the cylinders. This is something that you'll notice when it happens, especially if it kicks your car into limp/failsafe mode because your car's system notices the misfire and limits the engine's function so that it doesn't break something like a piston rod or the crankshaft. EGR is usually wedged behind the engine and a mechanic is probably going to spend a few hours in labor on it. Oxygen sensors are definitely something they'll probably keep overnight because they're in your exhaust system and they aren't going to work on that while it's hot unless they're real dumb. Catalytic? Well given your history you may well have sawn that off your car and tried melting it down for a few atoms of platinum but if that needs replacement many mechanics are legally obligated to replace it so they don't risk completing work on a car that later fails an emissions test.

Mass air sensors are just finicky things that go bad in older cars because of their design - they often have fine bits of metal or resistance-heated wires that will corrode or flat out break over time. You'll know when this goes because it'll throw a check engine light at you but they are a couple hundo to buy, so probably a $400-500 repair at the shop.

I'm not a mechanic (If you've ever gotten asked invasive questions by the bank about your bitcoins, I'm the guy telling the branch staff to harass you about your bitcoins and/or close your account) but as someone who has owned many an aging fuel-injected car growing up, your car ages like a snowball rolling downhill. At 16 years you're beating the odds something fierce but that poo poo will catch the gently caress right up to you like the feds catching ross ulbricht.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You just effortposted to Azrgu. Are you new here?

Thread the 4th, 9 years later: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motronic posted:

You just effortposted to Azrgu. Are you new here?

Thread the 4th, 9 years later: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

lol if I ever find out what bank he uses to get money out of bitcoin

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

What if the 16 year old car has 53k miles on it and I bought it from the original owner (my grandma) @ 28k miles. She kept it in her garage / drove to church on Sundays. I left that part out when posting quickly earlier.

lmao even when you shut your thread down you still pull this poo poo. Find more reasons to spend money, you do you bud.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm doing okay these days, at least for my region, but I'm still driving a 30yo Corolla. I've stopped putting money into it and I could afford to go get a newer car, but I'm half too frugal and half too attached to a lame family heirloom (similar religious grandmother origin). It still drives great though, the only downside is being killed if anything ever goes wrong because it's 30 years behind on safety features. If the rain leak comes back when winter hits that might finally force my hand.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

zaurg posted:

I've sold 11 of them! Progress! Fingers crossed the withdrawal from Coinbase goes well and quick.

I actually yelled "WOOHOO!" IRL when I read this post. A rope has been grabbed onto!

(And before anyone jumps all over me for the post timestamp, I work overnight shifts.)

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

uvar posted:

I'm doing okay these days, at least for my region, but I'm still driving a 30yo Corolla. I've stopped putting money into it and I could afford to go get a newer car, but I'm half too frugal and half too attached to a lame family heirloom (similar religious grandmother origin). It still drives great though, the only downside is being killed if anything ever goes wrong because it's 30 years behind on safety features. If the rain leak comes back when winter hits that might finally force my hand.

Good stuff, thanks. That's what I wanted from my car, to drive it for years without a car payment. Going to do what I can to keep it running.

zaurg fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 26, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If you do rolling budgeting of the depreciation of any car for which you make payments at the same time you're making payments, you can buy the second car in cash and you'll never have to make payments again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Did you say what kind of car it is? People are probably going to give me poo poo for giving an actual answer, but I have something similar going on with my wife’s car. Nothing expensive has broken, but despite the low miles it’s got a lot of trouble just due to age.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did you say what kind of car it is? People are probably going to give me poo poo for giving an actual answer, but I have something similar going on with my wife’s car. Nothing expensive has broken, but despite the low miles it’s got a lot of trouble just due to age.

2002 Saturn SC2 and just hit 53k miles

Car wouldn't start again this morning despite driving it for 30 mins last night after getting a jump. Got a jump this morning, drove to the shop, and won't start again for the mechanic. So Trying to get a new battery today, should still be under warranty, current Delco battery is less than 1 year old.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zaurg posted:

2002 Saturn SC2 and just hit 53k miles

Car wouldn't start again this morning despite driving it for 30 mins last night after getting a jump. Got a jump this morning, drove to the shop, and won't start again for the mechanic. So Trying to get a new battery today, should still be under warranty, current Delco battery is less than 1 year old.

KBB says this car is maybe worth $2500 if it's in very good condition (sounds like it's not), and you sell to a private party for cash. Otherwise, dealer trade-in value is closer to $1500 (again, assuming very good condition). Sell it, take the money from that and what were going to spend on the new transmission, and go buy a used car that isn't made by GM.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

What does this mean?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Fauxton works in fraud and money laundering prevention.

He spends his days catching criminals, and when he’s tired of that he dunks on bitcoiners for doing poo poo like “4 payments of about 10k”.

Edit: Mueller’s team was gonna recruit him but then they were like “uh are everybody in this room’s finances in squeaky clean order?” And they took a pass. This guy’s reading your posts now zaurg.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you do rolling budgeting of the depreciation of any car for which you make payments at the same time you're making payments, you can buy the second car in cash and you'll never have to make payments again.

This seems to me like a bad with money sort of thing to do. Yeah you avoid a loan, but my last car loan was like 1.5% interest so opting to pay cash instead of investing the money would have been foolish. In this scenario you miss out on returns on that money for the whole life of the car as well.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

tuyop posted:

This seems to me like a bad with money sort of thing to do. Yeah you avoid a loan, but my last car loan was like 1.5% interest so opting to pay cash instead of investing the money would have been foolish. In this scenario you miss out on returns on that money for the whole life of the car as well.

This always assumes that the buyer is disciplined enough to put that capital to work elsewhere and not blow it on candles.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Most BWM: making payments you can't afford on a car you can't afford in cash
Less BWM: making payments you can afford on a car you can't afford in cash
GWM: choosing whether to make payments or not based on your specific financial opportunities on a reasonable car you could afford in cash if you wanted
Most GWM: riding a bicycle around everywhere like Mr. Money Mustache

comedy tier: buy two luxury cars and roll around in it like a dog in deer poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

Fauxton works in fraud and money laundering prevention.

He spends his days catching criminals, and when he’s tired of that he dunks on bitcoiners for doing poo poo like “4 payments of about 10k”.

Edit: Mueller’s team was gonna recruit him but then they were like “uh are everybody in this room’s finances in squeaky clean order?” And they took a pass. This guy’s reading your posts now zaurg.

hey

hey

it was me who turned mueller down because I wanted to be able to keep catching bitcoiners

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sirotan posted:

KBB says this car is maybe worth $2500 if it's in very good condition (sounds like it's not), and you sell to a private party for cash. Otherwise, dealer trade-in value is closer to $1500 (again, assuming very good condition). Sell it, take the money from that and what were going to spend on the new transmission, and go buy a used car that isn't made by GM.

If he got $1500 private I would be shocked. Sold mine 4 years ago (a 2001) in good condition and was glad to get $1800. I always liked my Saturn though.

To continue car chat. I got a call from the dealer I bought my Subaru from. I didn't answer but the voicemail was great. I probably have a bit of equity now is the time to trade in my car! They have great deals!

My car is paid off, 60K miles and I ride my bike to work. Driving it into the ground and then hopefully a sweet electric car in 10 ish years.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
500AUD+ down the drain over the past fortnight because of my poor flossing habits - half for the filling, half for the check up and clean and X-rays last week. Out of pocket but private health plans here are 90% scam so whatever.

On the other hand, an unexpected raise thanks to the union to match the one the government teachers got. Small but appreciated.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Come on, man. Don't punish him for finally taking the advice of selling his shitcoins. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt that he's going to actually do the taxes right. If you scare him with the idea of getting AML-hosed he'll never be able to buy his kids pizza.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Amazon has raised the annual price of Prime to $119. My wife and I had already discussed cancelling it prior to the price increase, so this seals the deal. We're moving a good portion of our online shopping over to Target, where we get two day shipping and 5% off with the Target credit card. We don't use Prime Video or music, so an annual fee of $119 is pretty steep just to get two day shipping via shoddy independent shipping contractors.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

laxbro posted:

Amazon has raised the annual price of Prime to $119. My wife and I had already discussed cancelling it prior to the price increase, so this seals the deal. We're moving a good portion of our online shopping over to Target, where we get two day shipping and 5% off with the Target credit card. We don't use Prime Video or music, so an annual fee of $119 is pretty steep just to get two day shipping via shoddy independent shipping contractors.
Thanks for reminding me to do this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think prime is still worth it if you like the shows they put on which have been good. My GF also makes a lot of business purchases with it. I would guess between the 3 users we have we are around 75-100 purchases yearly so I think it just depends on the use case. Plus I like their shows.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I've been eating out less and eating pussy more

spwrozek posted:

I think prime is still worth it if you like the shows they put on which have been good. My GF also makes a lot of business purchases with it. I would guess between the 3 users we have we are around 75-100 purchases yearly so I think it just depends on the use case. Plus I like their shows.

I think it does comedown effectively the shows at this point. Other online vendors are powerful and Costco beats amazon on a lot of prices, even including the shoeleather tax.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have the prime visa card and I only get the 5% cash back if I’m a prime member and that’s pretty good marketing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

boop the snoot posted:

I have the prime visa card and I only get the 5% cash back if I’m a prime member and that’s pretty good marketing.

lol is that really part of the deal? That sucks. Is there any annual fee for the card, other than arguably your Prime membership?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol is that really part of the deal? That sucks. Is there any annual fee for the card, other than arguably your Prime membership?

no annual fee. you get 3% cash back if you don't have prime.

i just like prime, is what i'm saying. i order a lot from amazon.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I read a great article one the psychology of money. Most of the stuff isn’t really new, but I still found it to be a really interesting perspective on things.

http://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/the-psychology-of-money/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DuckConference posted:

I read a great article one the psychology of money. Most of the stuff isn’t really new, but I still found it to be a really interesting perspective on things.

http://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/the-psychology-of-money/

What a poo poo and pretentious article that takes many pages to communicate what could be said in 2.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey where did the bitcoin thread go? I could use some schadenfreude today.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Hey where did the bitcoin thread go? I could use some schadenfreude today.

Check the gas chamber.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I'm working on a case study and need to calculate the cost of equity for a company. I have beta, current stock price, earnings per share, and select financials. No historic stock prices are given and neither is stock information for other companies. No dividend is mentioned. There are two years worth of balance sheets and income statements.

My best guess was to take the stock price / earnings per share but I'm afraid that won't work since there is no dividend. What am I missing?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Hoodwinker posted:

Check the gas chamber.

Aaaah yes that's the stuff

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anybody using personal capital to manage there net worth and investments? the free features are pretty awesome.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Anybody using personal capital to manage there net worth and investments? the free features are pretty awesome.

I’ve used it for a little over a year. It’s been a great progress marker for me.

They call and ask if you want financial advising services every 4-6 months, but they are polite and take no pretty easily.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
What's personal capital all about? I looked at it a little but don't know if it's something I would find beneficial, and I currently use YNAB4 to keep track of net worth. I don't really have investments other than 401k/roth IRA stuff.

What are the free features that are so great?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I use Albert and it automatically puts money into savings at seemingly random times. Every time I check the balance I’ve got a few hundred more than I thought I did. It transfers based on goals you set and amounts. I put my emergency savings goal pretty high and then transfer it to my HYSA when I hit the goal, and I’m approaching my overall goal a lot faster than I was when it wasn’t so automated. My only gripe is that it puts it into an Albert savings account and I have to manually put it into my HYSA. A pretty painless process (1-2 days for it to go through) but I wish it would do that automatically as well.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Banks have reoccurring scheduled transfers too. Just skip the app and use your bank (unless it does something else I’m not getting).

My story is that I automatically contribute to Roth IRA, 401k, HSA; automatically pay rent, utilities, mobile, internet, loans, and credit cards; and have weekly scheduled transfers into my savings account. I’m happy if there’s anything left (which then gets tossed into either debt overpayment or brokerage acct).

It’s very hands off. The only time I need to touch anything is when the checking account gets a bit above the target float range.