Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
No Tesla Model3 invites in a month. A lot of chatter about a potential bankruptcy filing in the near future. Meanwhile Elon continues to go off the rails on Twitter.

oops I meant that for the Doomsday Economics thread. Still good though

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
*buys another share*

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

No Tesla Model3 invites in a month. A lot of chatter about a potential bankruptcy filing in the near future. Meanwhile Elon continues to go off the rails on Twitter.

oops I meant that for the Doomsday Economics thread. Still good though

They just had a huge release convention in Toronto, no doubt because Ontario has just elected a Conservative government, so the EV subsidies are going to be gone asap. Once they are, anyone with an outstanding deposit will cancel their order.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I thought the general assumption was a massive push of 3's to Canada to both cram in everything possible before that incentive expires, and simultaneously delay hitting 200k sales in the US so the $7.5k tax break wouldn't start ticking until Q3. Are there really no invites going out since the last big batch?

Also, I plan on retrofitting a classic awoogah horn for pedestrian alerts, and a constant loop of Jean Jacques Perrey songs for continual low-speed noise on our eventual Model 3. 100% serious. :wotwot:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Alpenglow posted:

I thought the general assumption was a massive push of 3's to Canada to both cram in everything possible before that incentive expires, and simultaneously delay hitting 200k sales in the US so the $7.5k tax break wouldn't start ticking until Q3. Are there really no invites going out since the last big batch?

Yes, that's why the tax credit theory is now doubtful. Between the lack of invites, the continued production delays, the skeleton crew service network, and the unhinged tweeting that seems to be setting up personal excuses, bankruptcy is suddenly being discussed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Musk: We've worked out most of production hell, 5k per week by end of June and profitable Q3

Media: Tesla bankruptcy looms!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah but if you take Musk's projections at face value at this point you're an utter fool.

Don't believe anything he says when it comes to the business side unless it's in an SEC filing and even then be sure to parse it very carefully.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Musk: We've worked out most of production hell, 5k per week by end of June and profitable Q3

Media: Tesla bankruptcy looms!

Nothing about anything Musk says should be trusted.

What actually matters is that their production rate is still nowhere near where it needs to be. 1 week or 1 day Burst Rate is meaningless propoganda. The quarterly cash burn rate is still leading to zero in a few more quarters. The ideal time to raise more money has passed, with interest rates rising and the stock evaluation downgrading. There are whispers of ongoing SEC investigations that would prevent another stock offering and explain the lack of financial correction.

What's happening under the surface seems to dwarf what is seen above the waterline.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Agronox posted:

Yeah but if you take Musk's projections at face value at this point you're an utter fool.

Don't believe anything he says when it comes to the business side unless it's in an SEC filing and even then be sure to parse it very carefully.
There are good reasons to doubt the timeline, but not the end result. And I have other sources telling me the 5k by end of month is pretty solid. Half my neighbors work at the GF.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
EDIT: ^^^ ilkhan with insider knowledge proving my point, TSLA BUY BUY BUY!! :)

FistEnergy posted:

Nothing about anything Musk says should be trusted.

What actually matters is that their production rate is still nowhere near where it needs to be. 1 week or 1 day Burst Rate is meaningless propoganda. The quarterly cash burn rate is still leading to zero in a few more quarters. The ideal time to raise more money has passed, with interest rates rising and the stock evaluation downgrading. There are whispers of ongoing SEC investigations that would prevent another stock offering and explain the lack of financial correction.

What's happening under the surface seems to dwarf what is seen above the waterline.

Elon's timelines are way off and he will be the first one to admit that.

But this is just utter nonsense. Bloomberg (who is likely under reporting) shows 3k per week with a peak of 3.5k almost 1 month ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

It is entirely likely that Tesla is making 5k per week at the end of June, or very close to it. Does it matter that much if it's 4.2k? 4.5K? I know missing that number will likely have a impact on the stock price, but bankruptcy is a long way away.

Elon and Tesla are far from perfect and criticizing them is fine, hell "autopilot" is ripe for picking on, but impending bankruptcy, come on.

Who knows about the tax credit gaming, could be they are, could be they are not sending out invites to avoid another "Sorry, need another month or two before you get your car" email to people who payed $3500 and think a car is coming in a few weeks.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
My pedestrian warning system will be a brown robed man with a bell who will leap out of the trunk at low speeds and warn people of the approaching hell engine.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

spandexcajun posted:

Elon's timelines are way off and he will be the first one to admit that.

I'm sorry but whaaaaat.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm sorry but whaaaaat.

"When Elon Musk was a kid, he had so much trouble managing his time that his younger brother Kimbal would lie to him about the bus schedule. Elon would show up a few minutes after the supposed arrival—and have just enough time to hop aboard. A few decades on, the whole world knows about Elon’s habit of blowing deadlines. And he admits it can be a problem.

“This is something I’m trying to get better at,” he said from the stage of Silicon Valley’s Computer History Museum on Tuesday afternoon, at Tesla’s annual shareholders meeting. “I’m trying to recalibrate these estimates.”"

That is very recent, but if you go back and watch the Model 3 unveiling video Elon makes a few jokes about the timelines.

Tesla has always delivered late on it's promises. This is not news to anyone who has followed the company in any meaningful way. Hell the first roadsters were way late, the Model S was delayed multiple times and the X was something like 2 years behind schedule. I'm not making excuses, like this is lovely behavior from any company and the market will punish them if they keep it up. However any Model 3 reservation holders bitching about waiting 6 more months for a cheap base model is massively naive, or not not being honest.

Tesla has been on the verge of bankruptcy for 10 years, any money the can make they will pour back into a new car line or additional factories, they are following a Amazon model. I'm not saying they can't go out of business or run into trouble, just that the idea that it's around the corner is not based in reality. Elon is a bit if a cult leader, if he needs to raise more $$$, it won't be a problem. It's not clear that it's needed at this point anyhow.

gently caress, why am I defending a company... I guess I just want a EV manufacture to be successful and Tesla is the only one giving a real go. They seem to be pulling it off as well, so I suppose I'm cheering them on. As soon as any meaningful competitors come along, well go for them I suppose.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

spandexcajun posted:

"When Elon Musk was a kid, he had so much trouble managing his time that his younger brother Kimbal would lie to him about the bus schedule. Elon would show up a few minutes after the supposed arrival—and have just enough time to hop aboard. A few decades on, the whole world knows about Elon’s habit of blowing deadlines. And he admits it can be a problem.

“This is something I’m trying to get better at,” he said from the stage of Silicon Valley’s Computer History Museum on Tuesday afternoon, at Tesla’s annual shareholders meeting. “I’m trying to recalibrate these estimates.”"

That is very recent, but if you go back and watch the Model 3 unveiling video Elon makes a few jokes about the timelines.

Tesla has always delivered late on it's promises. This is not news to anyone who has followed the company in any meaningful way. Hell the first roadsters were way late, the Model S was delayed multiple times and the X was something like 2 years behind schedule. I'm not making excuses, like this is lovely behavior from any company and the market will punish them if they keep it up. However any Model 3 reservation holders bitching about waiting 6 more months for a cheap base model is massively naive, or not not being honest.

Tesla has been on the verge of bankruptcy for 10 years, any money the can make they will pour back into a new car line or additional factories, they are following a Amazon model. I'm not saying they can't go out of business or run into trouble, just that the idea that it's around the corner is not based in reality. Elon is a bit if a cult leader, if he needs to raise more $$$, it won't be a problem. It's not clear that it's needed at this point anyhow.

gently caress, why am I defending a company... I guess I just want a EV manufacture to be successful and Tesla is the only one giving a real go. They seem to be pulling it off as well, so I suppose I'm cheering them on. As soon as any meaningful competitors come along, well go for them I suppose.

This is neat and while I have ~opinions~ about what Tesla is doing and how most of the posting demonstrates why this thread hovers around a 2/5 ratingwise, stuff like this is why I like the EV thread.

That, homebrew EV posts and Honda/VW EV market entry posts: those are good and cool and fun to read

Edit: ugh I just looked at news posts for the Honda Urban EV and why can’t it have a NA release whyyyyyyyyy

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 10, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Spending the next two days driving the I-Pace. Woo!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Some dutchmen modified a Model S into a Shooting Brake and it looks really good!

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The gen 2 volt has a pretty pleasant sci-fi sound I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-l3VH3EZb0
but sometimes I think this would be more fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOY2eWO2qw

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jimong5 posted:

The gen 2 volt has a pretty pleasant sci-fi sound I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-l3VH3EZb0
but sometimes I think this would be more fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOY2eWO2qw

I thought that was the sound of some fan to keep something cool. Didn't realize that was white noise for pedestrians.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I thought that was the sound of some fan to keep something cool. Didn't realize that was white noise for pedestrians.

Yep... it shuts off above 18mph (why 18mph I have no idea). Its kinda worthless IMHO. You can barely hear it more than 2-3 feet away from the car. At least mine is this way. You can still pull right up behind people walking in a parking lot and they don't hear it.

It is produced by a speaker in the front bumper. The same speaker that makes the beep sound when you plug the charger in. Though you shouldn't... it can be disabled by pulling a fuse in the trunk fuse panel with no ill effects. But then you also lose the charger confirmation beeps.

Supposedly someone on the GM Volt forums modified their module so they could load whatever sounds they wanted, and even posted a video. But then never provided any details....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

18mph is what the NHSTA recommends as they say above 18mph a vehicle makes sufficient enough road noise to be noticed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

stevewm posted:

Yep... it shuts off above 18mph (why 18mph I have no idea). Its kinda worthless IMHO. You can barely hear it more than 2-3 feet away from the car. At least mine is this way. You can still pull right up behind people walking in a parking lot and they don't hear it.

It is produced by a speaker in the front bumper. The same speaker that makes the beep sound when you plug the charger in. Though you shouldn't... it can be disabled by pulling a fuse in the trunk fuse panel with no ill effects. But then you also lose the charger confirmation beeps.

Supposedly someone on the GM Volt forums modified their module so they could load whatever sounds they wanted, and even posted a video. But then never provided any details....

I think I may figure out a way for me to put the sound of me making engine noises with my lips. Or the sound of me making shifting noises complete with 'PSSSSH' of a fake turbo.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

18mph is what the NHSTA recommends as they say above 18mph a vehicle makes sufficient enough road noise to be noticed.

Well that would be why its 18mph then... Kinda strange... you think they would have went with 20mph just to be safe... and to be a nice rounded number.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Counterpoint, why bother making it a rounded number when it's a 100% computer controlled function that's transparent to the driver. Make it whatever the data says to make it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, why bother making it a rounded number when it's a 100% computer controlled function that's transparent to the driver. Make it whatever the data says to make it.

But... my OCD!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

I think this was one of the regs that the orange fascist cancelled earlier this year.

The I-Pace has the option to do active noise cancellation in the interior, or you can set it the other way and it makes this kinda odd/kinda cool growling noise when you floor it.

It’s not a perfect car by any means, but it’s a drat good EV. I’d buy one before I spent the same amount of money on a Tesla. Expect the article at Ars on Wednesday, or maybe Thursday morning.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jimong5 posted:

Ugh that hum would give me a headache.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drgitlin posted:

I think this was one of the regs that the orange fascist cancelled earlier this year.

Actually the opposite of that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Ugh that hum would give me a headache.

You'll never hear it. I just found out my spark ev does it this weekend. I'm never outside of my car when it's in drive and you can't hear it from the inside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RZA Encryption posted:

You'll never hear it. I just found out my spark ev does it this weekend. I'm never outside of my car when it's in drive and you can't hear it from the inside.

Oh, I know.

I’m just saying I don’t consider it a pleasant sound.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

TIL.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ola posted:

So in the long run, why make engine noises in order to imitate a specific section of transportation history? If the pedestrian noise could be customized, why not pick ice cream truck music or horse hooves? Very quickly, pedestrians will get used to cars not making that much noise and drivers will get used to pedestrians not necessarily hearing them.

My dad wants one that sounds like the Jetsons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drgitlin posted:

The I-Pace has the option to do active noise cancellation in the interior, or you can set it the other way and it makes this kinda odd/kinda cool growling noise when you floor it.

It’s not a perfect car by any means, but it’s a drat good EV. I’d buy one before I spent the same amount of money on a Tesla. Expect the article at Ars on Wednesday, or maybe Thursday morning.

You weren't kidding, that car looks great. I rarely drive these days but if I did and could justify it, I'd seriously consider selling my WRX hatchback for it. It looks really, really nice.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/forget-about-that-tesla-the-jaguar-i-pace-is-the-most-compelling-ev-yet

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://electrek.co/2018/06/14/tesla-vp-of-worldwide-service-leaves/

quote:

Karim Bousta, Tesla’s ‘Vice-President of Worldwide Service and Customer Experience’, left the automaker this week.

Several sources have told Electrek this week that Bousta is no longer working at Tesla.

After a 2-year stint at Symantec, Bousta was hired to lead Tesla’s service division.

He described his job on LinkedIn:

“Reinventing the Customer experience in Automotive and building Tesla’s large scale worldwide customer and vehicle service operations”

You would have thought two years creating amazing customer experience for a virus killer was more than sufficient experience, but alas. The current service condition in Norway is by far the worst I have heard about for any brand. Cars are sitting in dealer lots for 4-6 months waiting for parts.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I picture a Looney Tunes-esque dust cloud to describe the situation at Tesla at the moment...what will emerge!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

drgitlin posted:

I like the article and the I-Pace looks like a great car, IDK about a "Forget about Tesla" car but competition is great and the more EVs the better. For sure anyone shopping a Model S now has a viable alternative.

But what's up with this:

drgitlin posted:

But as any EV driver will tell you, high regen is best-suited for low-speed urban driving; at highway speeds you want to be able to coast rather than constantly keep your foot on the throttle.

I've been a one peddle driver for all of 1.5 weeks now (plenty of hwy miles) but I genuinely don't have any idea what you are talking about? No car let's you coast at highway speeds without using the accelerator*. Cruise control?

* I keep calling it a throttle or gas pedal as well ;)

EDIT: I'm dumb and can't spell.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 15, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pedal

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

peddnt.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ola posted:

peddnt.

Good, very very good.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

drgitlin posted:

This augments those normal EV sounds with a bit more oomph as you floor it. I'm hard pressed to describe the sound, which falls somewhere between a turbine and a growl. Sure, it's artificial, but it's also kind of awesome, and if anything I'd maybe want it a couple of decibels louder.

I am baffled by this. Piping in fake v8 sounds to newer smaller engine Mustangs and BMWs is dumb, but it make a little bit if sense (If I really twist my brain...). But what the hell is the appeal of just making up fake noise that never existed in the first place?

Is this one of those things that seems stupid until you try it?

It's not that I don't understand liking engine noise, hell I just put an aftermarket exhaust on my motorcycle because it sounded like a lawn mower from the factory. It now sings the song of the sausage creature like it properly should. But it's real, it's a real noise the engine makes. Whenever I get an electric bike I can't fathom putting a speaker on it to play fake noise.

And I also understand anachronisms, which car engine noise will soon be.

I have a few mechanical wrist watches. But I don't have a digital watch that has a fake, non-working mechanical part just for looks, because that would be dumb as poo poo.

I guess it's an appeal to people who need a car with "soul"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Or just an appeal to people who like vroom vroom noises. I’m not one of them, I don’t understand it myself, but as you say, it appeals to people.

• Locked thread