Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One day I made green eggs and ham and it looked disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really see why anyone would use ketchup when barbecue sauce exists.

I mean, I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i hate both ketchup and barbeque sauce

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Barbecue sauce can be good if it doesn't have the overwhelming sugar flavor (which is also why ketchup is terrible) that most popular ones like sweet baby rays etc have. It should have at least some spice to it if you're going to use it at all. Generally though I think barbeque that is dry-rubbed with no or very little sauce is just better. When I get a pulled pork sandwich that is half pork and half sauce it feels like i'm eating very sweet catfood.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Chili has beans in it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fruit on the bottom posted:

Chili has beans in it

How many packets of French onion soup mix, though?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Barbecue sauce can be good if it doesn't have the overwhelming sugar flavor (which is also why ketchup is terrible) that most popular ones like sweet baby rays etc have. It should have at least some spice to it if you're going to use it at all. Generally though I think barbeque that is dry-rubbed with no or very little sauce is just better. When I get a pulled pork sandwich that is half pork and half sauce it feels like i'm eating very sweet catfood.

America is the land of overwhelming sweet flavors. It's awful.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason women say cargo shorts are bad is because they see all the pockets and go insane with jealousy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America is the land of overwhelming sweet flavors. It's awful.

Yeah, the only things I feel should be sweet are candy, sodas, and fruit. Keep it out of the sauces and most food dishes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You want to remove the palm sugar from my kecap manis soy sauce? Ok, but I warn you, that was the only thing keeping me from killing folks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah, the only things I feel should be sweet are candy, sodas, and fruit. Keep it out of the sauces and most food dishes.

Even those things shouldn't be so drat sweet. Fruit can do what it wants because it grows naturally but candy should have flavors other then "every last molecule of sugar we could cram into this size."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pastry of the Year posted:

All the cooking blogs and newsletters and such are in full-on seasonal fumbling to outdo one another w/r/t grilling ideas and such, and so it only just occurred to me that I've never had a satisfying "stuffed" burger - by which I mean a burger in which there's ingredients, usually cheese and some other traditional favorites, put inside the patty before cooking.

Leave all that poo poo on the outside of the patty. Just build it normally. The patty is not a dumpster.

The real reason is for Instagram.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

How many packets of French onion soup mix, though?

I'm starting to understand the concept of safe spaces.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Roman Polanski's Chinatown is very mediocre, and it's another example where the sequel greatly outdistances the original.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Leavemywife posted:

Purple and green ketchup needs to make a return. I'm tired of boring red ketchup.

IIRC they failed because the color of a food has a way of loving with your perception of its taste.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That colored ketchup set off so many subliminal red flags I felt ill just looking at it.

Like, you could honestly probably sell green ketchup by making it a natural looking green and calling it "tangy/zesty green tomato" ketchup and putting a pic of some chopped green tomatoes next to bowls of spices on the label. But they went all out with "Our poo poo is so fake we can just dye it any color because it's just a bunch of chemicals anyway! Here's some neon!"

I should have gone into marketing imao, but I am cursed with having a soul.

E: lol you could probably even sell purple ketchup with some vague reference to heirloom tomatoes. They just hosed up by making it look like Nickelodeon Gak.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Jun 14, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A bar that opens at 9 should not turn the jukebox on at 9 because absolutely no person who wants to slam some coins into a jukebox at 9 should be allowed to choose any music ever.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The colored ketchup did taste differently, I remember, but I always figured it was because of what they used to change the color of it. I do think that with proper marketing, they could easily sell green ketchup.

I always wondered why they never did different colored mustard.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

A bar that opens at 9 should not turn the jukebox on at 9 because absolutely no person who wants to slam some coins into a jukebox at 9 should be allowed to choose any music ever.

At 9 in the morning?

No-one should be drinking alcohol before 8pm anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

At 9 in the morning?

No-one should be drinking alcohol before 8pm anyway.

Drinking after 20 messes with your sleep so it's a no-no.

E: also a lot of people go to bars for coffee.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

The colored ketchup did taste differently, I remember, but I always figured it was because of what they used to change the color of it. I do think that with proper marketing, they could easily sell green ketchup.

I always wondered why they never did different colored mustard.

I heard in the USA they sell yellow mustard.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

good point i didn't consider because I'm Scottish and people put whiskey in their coffee here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Some people also work graveyard shift so "a drink after work" might very well happen at 9 a.m.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I used to work midnights when I was a donut fryer. It was awesome hitting up bars at 9am. Just quiet and drinking with a bartender that was usually happy there was someone there to make the morning shift not a total waste of time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many donuts did you eat?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From my experience(was an unemployed drunk for six months about 7 years ago) people who hang out at bars in the middle of the day are some of the most non-judgmental people you'll ever meet. Which makes sense, you don't just end up at a bar, four drinks in by 10am for no reason, everyone there has their own poo poo going on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The most LGBT game series is Katamari Damacy

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

The most LGBT game series is Katamari Damacy

why*

*not why as in why do you think so, but just, why

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Simply in terms of flavor, satiety, and service, I've never had a bad time at the much-maligned Olive Garden.

It doesn't make my list of "discretionary calories/income," but if someone genuinely loves the place and wants my company, I know I'll have a perfectly nice time.

That said, I'm never touching another Olive Garden breadstick after discovering that just one of those squishy garlic planks is the nutritional equivalent of like 1/3 a cheese pizza.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

How many donuts did you eat?

Not many and the smell still makes my stomach clench up. Smelling them for 8 hours a night really kills wanting to eat them. Every once in a while I'll be able to eat one now, but even then I sometimes smell it and decide I don't want it.

A glazed old fashioned is the best though. That much I know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I used to work midnights when I was a donut fryer. It was awesome hitting up bars at 9am. Just quiet and drinking with a bartender that was usually happy there was someone there to make the morning shift not a total waste of time.

Que a couple drunk UB dudes with a mind to listen to some Queensryche and Peer Günt and a pocketful of euros.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"when I come around" is the best song green day ever did. Also green day kinda sucks but Dookie is still a really listenable album

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pastry of the Year posted:

Simply in terms of flavor, satiety, and service, I've never had a bad time at the much-maligned Olive Garden.

It doesn't make my list of "discretionary calories/income," but if someone genuinely loves the place and wants my company, I know I'll have a perfectly nice time.

That said, I'm never touching another Olive Garden breadstick after discovering that just one of those squishy garlic planks is the nutritional equivalent of like 1/3 a cheese pizza.

A big part of what makes chain restaurants like Olive Garden and Applebees bad though is cleanliness. Inevitably you have people in positions of responsibility who don't really care about the overall quality of the restaurant, they have no sense of ownership because it's all corporate. So the entire staff will do the absolute minimum required to keep their jobs, and it's a gradual decline where these places are usually pretty decent when they first open up and then within a few years they smell terrible because the carpet never gets cleaned and you'd never want to eat there again if you saw what goes on in the kitchen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

"when I come around" is the best song green day ever did. Also green day kinda sucks but Dookie is still a really listenable album

Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac, and Nimrod are all great albums that have held up. After that they fell into the music industry trap of "let's make an album that rides on one hit and one or two other good songs. Everything else is filler." Minority and American Idiot are good songs but basically everything else around those songs is forgettable.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I dont care much for Greenday but Redundant is their best song imo

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
People dig on pizza places and workers all the time but having actually *done* it I have total respect. It's actually not that easy guys. Take Domino's for example. Every day you're prepping products, the dough is hand formed, you're memorizing weights and measurements, and most employees care a great deal about keeping things sanitary. It's not just throwing stuff in an oven, there's LOTS of pre-planning and work involved. Take Pizza Hut for example. There's loads of different crusts and combinations and those things are all hand prepped (the stuffed crusts are a major pita btw.) Give your pizza place the benefit of the doubt. Most of us give a drat and work like dogs so you can have a good experience.
Note: except Papa John's. gently caress those guys.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Stairs posted:

People dig on pizza places and workers all the time but having actually *done* it I have total respect. It's actually not that easy guys. Take Domino's for example. Every day you're prepping products, the dough is hand formed, you're memorizing weights and measurements, and most employees care a great deal about keeping things sanitary. It's not just throwing stuff in an oven, there's LOTS of pre-planning and work involved. Take Pizza Hut for example. There's loads of different crusts and combinations and those things are all hand prepped (the stuffed crusts are a major pita btw.) Give your pizza place the benefit of the doubt. Most of us give a drat and work like dogs so you can have a good experience.
Note: except Papa John's. gently caress those guys.

Yeah don't know how unpop this op is but domino's is good now. They actually try pretty hard, at least the ones in my city

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only reason I think Green Day is noteworthy is that they created the song that 90% of highschool senior classes throughout all of history and the future will use for their graduation song. It's not even a good song but if you go to a relative's graduation you better believe you're going to be listening to that song.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

purple death ray posted:

Yeah don't know how unpop this op is but domino's is good now. They actually try pretty hard, at least the ones in my city

Exactly. It's not the most employee friendly place on Earth (don't get me started on auditor bullshit and antiquated uniform rules) but genuine effort has gone into the food lately.
I worked there before 13 years ago and also after the turnaround and the difference is night and day. The drivers don't even do coke off the bathroom toilet tank anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's also one so close to my apartment I can get delivery in like fifteen minutes sometimes. I tip those dudes a lot haha