Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

True, but that still puts Clancy head and shoulders above a lot of modern Republicans.

Or his current equivalents. I was looking for some airport fiction and found James Rosone. It sounded like my sort of nonsense (near future war stuff) and of course the first twenty pages were just political fan fiction about owning the libs and rebuilding the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Erotic Wakes posted:

The real question is if it's going to be following the canon of the book of The Shining or the film, because a lot of people are gonna be really confused when the first act prominently features the guy who Jack Torrance axe murdered still very much alive and well.

Also with how strong anti-Boomer sentiment is as of late a horror movie about a caravan of old people who literally prey on and sacrifice the young in a desperate and increasingly futile attempt to prolong their own existence sounds perfect.

They've already made a couple of movies about RVing this is the logical conclusion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Can't wait for the Disney law commandos to undo a century of antitrust deregulation just out of spite.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Can't wait for the Disney law commandos to undo a century of antitrust deregulation just out of spite.

Undo...de-regulation...so...good?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Snowman_McK posted:

If 9/11 and all the subsequent wars, atrocities and violations of human rights hadn't occured, True Lies is just a silly action film mostly about Arnie's marriage with the cartoon villains as cardboard cutouts with no larger implications. Or, alternately, if US films hadn't spent literally decades demonising Arabs and Muslims, True Lies wouldn't be symptomatic of an ongoing, serious problem with representation that has very sinister implications in the real world. The film itself is about as political as an episode of Transformers, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it's a lot less fun now than it was in 94.
You seem to be trying really hard to divorce the movie from the context in which it was made, in which it's just one in a long line of anti-Arab movies. What's political and what's not is entirely dependent on context.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, I was about 7 when I first saw it. So maybe it's just that.
Yeah, pretty sure it's just this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You seem to be trying really hard to divorce the movie from the context in which it was made, in which it's just one in a long line of anti-Arab movies. What's political and what's not is entirely dependent on context.

Yeah, pretty sure it's just this.

I specifically mentioned that line of anti-arab movies and its length, so I wasn't trying that hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like True Lies well enough. It has a lot of funny moments.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like True Lies well enough. It has a lot of funny moments.

The truth serum scene is a fantastic mix of comedy and drama. And then Arnold explains to his interrogator in what way is he gonna kill him, before he kills him in that way. Sublime.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's weird, even as a kid I found myself sympathizing with the terrorists in True Lies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

It's weird, even as a kid I found myself sympathizing with the terrorists in True Lies.

They get many humanizing moments. Like when they record their terrorist video and the camera man shits his pants when he notices the batteries runs low.

They are mostly bumbling and baffoonish in a lovable way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Art Malik once say that True Lies was some of the most fun he'd had as an actor or something like that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Art Malik once say that True Lies was some of the most fun he'd had as an actor or something like that?

I mean, if he wasn't having fun he's the greatest actor of all time because it sure seems like he was having a blast.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Grendels Dad posted:

They get many humanizing moments. Like when they record their terrorist video and the camera man shits his pants when he notices the batteries runs low.

They are mostly bumbling and baffoonish in a lovable way.

When the big bird landed on the tipping truck. one of the golden moments of action movies.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

K. Waste posted:

you're fired!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I recall the party scene introducing Harry being weirdly similar to the one that introduced Oskar Schindler.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1007358562425851911

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Those of you who were waiting with baited breath about information from the Playmobil movie, wait no more!

quote:

Di Salvo, a Disney veteran who served as head of animation on “Frozen” and was animation supervisor on “Tangled” and “Bolt,” presented “Playmobil” via a recorded video and said the film will be character-driven, trigger emotions and imagination, while the designs will “embrace the virginity and simplicity of ‘Playmobil.'”

Unveiled during the session, the plot revolves around twenty-year old Marla who is forced to abandon her carefully structured life to embark on an epic journey to find her young brother Charlie who has disappeared into the vast and wondrous animated world of Playmobil. Blaise Hemingway, Greg Erb and Jason Oremland wrote the script. A portion of the film is in live-action.

“The film is an emotional, adventure-filled journey in the veins of ‘Finding Nemo,'” said Julien Bocabeille, the head of animation, who attended the Annecy work-in-progress session with the producer Aton Soumache.

A clip of the movie was shown at the presentation and sparked an enthusiastic reaction from attendees — some of whom applauded the designs, Disney/Pixar quality and the voices.

The well-seasoned animation producer also revealed that “Playmobil” will boast, under Di Salvo’s impulse, a strong musical component and several original songs as did “Frozen” which scored more than $1.2 billion around the world. The film will also be headlined by a high-profile English-speaking voice cast as did “The Little Prince,” ON Animation Studios’s previous feature which grossed $97.5 million at the box office worldwide.

During the presentation, Soumache also addressed the positioning of “Playmobil” compared with “Lego: The Movie.” “The movie ‘Lego’ relied a lot on comedy and wasn’t so much driven by characters, while our film will follow more the Disney tradition of storytelling and is meant to appeal to girls as much as boys,” explained Soumache, who quipped “‘Lego’ grossed almost $500 million worldwide, if we make half of that will be very happy!”

https://variety.com/2018/film/global/new-details-on-playmobil-the-movie-spilled-at-annecy-festival-1202846122/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Make it a musical like the Troll movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
"The virginity of Playmobil" is not a phrase I ever thought I wold hear.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That Playmobil movie better feature Martin Luther, dude is a motherfuckin' legend.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And the drunk hobo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The ones with moustaches like that always seemed off to me when I was little because it looked like they were sticking their tongues out.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Unveiled during the session, the plot revolves around twenty-year old Marla who is forced to abandon her carefully structured life to embark on an epic journey to find her young brother Charlie who has disappeared into the vast and wondrous animated world of Playmobil

Play this like a horror movie and I'm loving there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AceOfFlames posted:

I think the only 80s silly action movie I can enjoy despite having terrible politics is Demolition Man. It kind of helps that despite supposedly depicting a future where the SJW's took over meaning big and strong macho man Sly Stallone must save them from the evil Scary Black Man, it more closely resembles the religious right's vision of a perfect world with all the actual religious iconography and language somehow edited out.

Even fewer people remember Spy Fiction.

not to mention everything is taco bell and they hosed my friend over so I applaud Wesley Snipes blowing them all up

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

They look like vaguely sinister Legos, so that makes sense.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, they're an international coalition that pulls from the established special ops outfits and they're at least theoretically accountable for their actions. They also have to go through an official approval process to be greenlit for any particular mission.

Obviously we all know how that would go in the real world but the way it's presented by Clancy makes it seem pretty legit.

It was the Avengers of special forces. In reality putting them on a c17 everytime antifa takes over a mcdonalds is probably not the most efficient way to police the world

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

"The virginity of Playmobil" is not a phrase I ever thought I wold hear.

NO JOHN LASSETER NOOOOO

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

It'll just be a lovely knockoff of Labyrinth

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

NO JOHN LASSETER NOOOOO

Is it likely that someone else will try to snap him up once he's out of Disney then get him to poach away some other Pixar and Disney animation guys?

I'd have thought he was too tarnished now but Hollywood's Hollywood. (Isn't Kevin Spacey doing a new movie soon already, less than a year after it came out he'd assaulted a 14 year old?)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gotti has 0% on rt

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/15/gotti-john-travolta-eight-most-criminally-awful-things

I ain't gonna lie that makes me wanna moviepass it

Who greenlighted 2018: that's a moviepass

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Guardian posted:

As we also saw recently with his wobbly Robert Shapiro in The People vs OJ Simpson, biographical impression is not where Travolta’s twinkly talent lies.

Get outta here!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read that as "twinky talent" at first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Gotti has 0% on rt

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/15/gotti-john-travolta-eight-most-criminally-awful-things

I ain't gonna lie that makes me wanna moviepass it

Who greenlighted 2018: that's a moviepass

I never heard of this movie until I got an email from MoviePass advertising it. It's like they know exactly the type of poo poo their service is good for.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We should form a studio called Doomhouse and make poo poo horror movies to make that sweet moviepass money. I'll direct

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I ended up seeing Tag last night. It’s...surprisingly okay? It got a couple big laughs out of me and the action was surprisingly good stuff.

The last act of the movie gets uh, really kind of dark though. It pulled me straight out of the movie and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth afterwards.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does Jeremy Renner turn out to be a sexual predator and the police have trouble tagging him? I legit don't know

Bigger question is if it's a moviepass or a read and spoil

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

The last act of the movie gets uh, really kind of dark though. It pulled me straight out of the movie and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth afterwards.

I'm never gonna see it, spoilers please.

Also how bad are the CGI arms for Renner

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Isn't Kevin Spacey doing a new movie soon already, less than a year after it came out he'd assaulted a 14 year old?)

Billionaire Boys Club filmed like two and a half years ago...I think this is a case where the distributor is contractually obligated to release it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Taintrunner posted:

I'm never gonna see it, spoilers please.

Also how bad are the CGI arms for Renner

In the last act of the movie Renner’s fiancé fakes a miscarriage so that he can escape the group and avoid getting tagged. They find out it was faked, go to Renner’s wedding to try and tag him, and one of the guys gets knocked out and doesn’t recover.

They take him to the hospital and find out he has cancer and probably won’t survive to next year’s game. He’s been hiding it from everyone because he wanted one more big fun game with everyone before he passes.

It came literally out of nowhere and I ended up sitting there afterwards going ‘Huh. That happened I guess.’

As far as the arms go, I didn’t even notice. I wasn’t really paying much attention to them so I guess that means they were pretty good? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AceOfFlames posted:

If I was told the plot absent anything else (and without the branding), I'd have expected the film to be one of those cheaply/weirdly animated 70s cartoon specials with a folk music soundtrack