Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

hifi posted:

and I guess while I'm "helping", you should strip the exif info from the ad cats, it's like 30kb max/page wasted to know you used a Nikon D80 and Photoshop CS2 to make a 80x80 jpeg of a cat.

Good catch, I can compress them down to just 2kb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

BlueBlazer posted:

I hope Arrow develop continues on track.

Here are some arrows I've collected for further development inspiration.

[timg]https://imgur.com/40623d66-fb36-4101-904f-545061675fa7][/timg]

edit* o wait IMGUR changed their poo poo and I dont know how it works, because I'm and old loving idiot. A direct Picture upload plugin would be super, k thx.

Lol if you think Lowtax is gonna pay to host your images

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Modding something like this is feasible tho, and not too hard. Lowtax give me administration access and all your passwords and I will do it. https://github.com/carry0987/Imgur-Upload

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m no expert, but isn’t adding these proprietary cloud flare apps and extensions going to make it difficult to move to a standardized platform? That isn’t tied to cloud flare. Much less the customization of proprietary stuff.

ah yes, the... move to xenforo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

add like heart and favorite options to each post please

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ah yes, the... move to xenforo

That already happened. It sucked, so Lowtax went back to radium's work. Sorry you missed it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Why am I getting two up arrows?

Firefox, no css/extensions that would make it happen

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

biosterous posted:

Why am I getting two up arrows?

Firefox, no css/extensions that would make it happen

The dark one was there originally and people bitched at zdr to make it smaller and autohide and lowtax can't find it so now there's the big one for bespectacled gentlemen that's probably staying.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Unironically I am at the point where I don’t care about my regdate nor my post count, I would rather make sure that the community survives and that we move to xenforo/some other option ASAP so we can stop tossing money down the drain for bandwidth costs that would most likely be significantly reduced with more modern software

Xenforo license is 140$ + 50$ for enhanced search + 60$ for the resource manager + 40$/yr for extended support. We don’t need gangtags, plat, or whatever else and xenforo comes built in with paid upgrade features so it should be easy as hell

I really really don’t want to go to forums.somethingawful.com and get a 404 then go to your twitter to see “hey yeah so rip the forums I’m living out of my GTR right now and needless to say it is very cramped” or whatever

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
All these new random UI elements are not making things better, just more cluttered.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The back to top arrow could use a more graceful acceleration arc.

Also all button clicks should have vibrations
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Vibration_API

Just sayin

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Auto refresh is very annoying especially for at work posting. Twitter stuff and back to top button are annoying but meh. Auto refresh forces me to close the tab.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mods goldmine please

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

hackbunny posted:

I'm determined to ride these dying forums hooting and hollering and yee-hawing to the very end with you, lowtax

This, plus this:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Unironically I am at the point where I don’t care about my regdate nor my post count, I would rather make sure that the community survives and that we move to xenforo/some other option ASAP so we can stop tossing money down the drain for bandwidth costs that would most likely be significantly reduced with more modern software

Xenforo license is 140$ + 50$ for enhanced search + 60$ for the resource manager + 40$/yr for extended support. We don’t need gangtags, plat, or whatever else and xenforo comes built in with paid upgrade features so it should be easy as hell

I really really don’t want to go to forums.somethingawful.com and get a 404 then go to your twitter to see “hey yeah so rip the forums I’m living out of my GTR right now and needless to say it is very cramped” or whatever

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if cloudflare is charging you more than $0.01/GB you could move "fi.somethingawful.com" to point to a digital ocean droplet. you don't even have to move the images there, just setup a cache like varnish.

assuming cloudflare is charging you $0.04, and you move ~25TB/month, and "fi" is 80% of that, it'd save you about... ~$500/month

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 15, 2018

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i like the share and the saving posts, but everything else is bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lowtax posted:

the hidden bottom left "jump to top" link

haha wait what, how long has that been there

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you Lowtax.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Agreed, what would it take to do a migration and rehost?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

rear end posted:

I think people are upset because some of them browse the forums at work.

Unfortunately I didn't even get the notification.

Maybe you lazy Americans should work while at work instead of looking at the interwebs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I hate to complain about effort put into the forums, but I'm not a fan of things that clutter up the screen and the new back-to-top button just doesn't seem useful. It's a slower and more obnoxious version of the one that's already there, which I never use anyway, because I have both a scroll wheel and a home key. The share/refresh things I'm indifferent about, and the post caching thing seems genuinely useful once you get the bugs worked out.

Lowtax posted:

Nah, rickroll has no place here. SA has a proud history of goatse and I will continue that tradition.
And this I am completely behind.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Indy posted:

Maybe you lazy Americans should work while at work instead of looking at the interwebs.

sure as soon as we have 32 hour weeks and decent health insurance

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I like the little arrow. Ok. Bye now!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Tip: At least one of the common do-not-track plugins block that whole e-mail/share button by default. I have Privacy Badger and Disconnect, one of them blocks it because it never appeared to me until I turned both off.

This does of course imply that if you don't block it, this little button tracks every forum click you make and sends the data to Facebook and the FBI.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Weener Beater posted:

No, no migration. Start anew with empty forums and subforums. A blank slate. All threads start from scratch.

I'm not joking; keep the links to the old threads working but don't bother listing them on the new platform. Now the migration challenge is gone and the only challenge is to choose a generic forum software and host and configure it to your liking.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thank you Mr Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, I would like to give you dollarydoos now so you can keep the forum lights on

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Same, it's nice to see not only effort and progress but also some reaching out for advice, considering we have entire subforums full of resident career programmers to whom this stuff is a piece of cake compared to what they normally help each other with

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Weener Beater posted:

A megafuckton of work. Even just migrating a moderately large database without breaking things isn't easy (source: I'm in the middle of a migration that should have finished nine months ago), God only knows what rehosting 17 years of glorious shitposting will take. Lowtax does not get the credit he deserves for running this place.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Same, it's nice to see not only effort and progress but also some reaching out for advice, considering we have entire subforums full of resident career programmers to whom this stuff is a piece of cake compared to what they normally help each other with

Then you’d be hosting 2 sites and you’d be paying for an exponential amount more for all that new server traffic.

What we should do is have everyone memorize their posts and be sure to remake them on Xenforo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The old posts are dead, long live the new posts

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As someone who likes to have the thread list of frequently visited subforums open all the time (Tree Style Tab makes it easy and convenient) the new automatic refresh feature kills my CPU, battery and Lowtax' bandwith. Can this be toggled off somehow?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
i enjoy clicking the ghost arrow. it's like going on a smooth elevator ride, going straight up, not too slow, not too fast. provides lots of entertainment. thank you.

e: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip and we're on top again. please enjoy the view, ladies and gents. hehehe

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 15, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Mr Lowtax, I only ever use the SA android app for super easy convenience, but I just wanna thank you for taking the time to work on the forums while you're in crippling spine-pain.

:yayclod:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think we should add a down arrow tbqh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

esperterra posted:

I think we should add a down arrow tbqh

We could use the up and down arrows to vote on posts.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I made a very quick and dirty userscript to "disable" auto-refresh (changes the timer to a week): https://gist.github.com/pollyzoid/4433cf16c00fea9c136682458d3dc985/raw/622417a7e63e22f8baf3fb0ae3d0177f57989cd1/sa_antirefresh.user.js

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Isn't this sort of polishing the brass on the rickety shitbarge

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Decius posted:

As someone who likes to have the thread list of frequently visited subforums open all the time (Tree Style Tab makes it easy and convenient) the new automatic refresh feature kills my CPU, battery and Lowtax' bandwith. Can this be toggled off somehow?

Have you tried not browsing on a commodore 64

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm still waiting for Lowtax to integrate clippy.js into the forum experience

what's taking so long?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can we make the forums work in VR with my Occulus Rift?? I expect a 21st century experience here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

That's really not at all how things work.

• Locked thread