Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Barry posted:

Could have saved yourself some money and not bought the red in the first place, the AT95e on the LP120 is just as good or better.

I read a few reviews that recommended the 2M Red slightly over the 95e, especially for it's tracking ability (might be the wrong term, but its ability to ride the warps in a record without skipping). I knew it wasn't a big upgrade, but I didn't know how much I would get into collecting vinyl. I am actually looking at getting a new stylus/cartridge and was wondering if anyone had feedback on the contour design? Or if anyone has any recommendations for a cartridge/stylus that is better suited for DJing/scratching, that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have a 95P Paratrace and it sounds great. Definitely not something for DJing/scratching however.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MF DOOM from VMP showed up today, and I'm super impressed with the quality. Definitely a step above pretty much any other new release I've picked up. I was originally going to cancel right away, but now I'm not so sure.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I got an e-mail saying that the expected delivery date for my Mm..Food VMP is 6/19, which is bullshit.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Enos Cabell posted:

MF DOOM from VMP showed up today, and I'm super impressed with the quality. Definitely a step above pretty much any other new release I've picked up. I was originally going to cancel right away, but now I'm not so sure.

By jumping between tracks and using swaps I've been pretty happy with my subscription for the past several months. Sometimes I get something that I probably wouldn't get otherwise, but the sales/exclusives they've offered in the meantime make up for it to me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I actually recieved two copies of that Kanye album from Amazon and the same LP number varied in weight by up to 30 grams. poo poo is hosed. it was enough of a difference that I only weighed them to confirm my suspicions.

edit: the sound quality is notably different from lp to lp too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I actually recieved two copies of that Kanye album from Amazon and the same LP number varied in weight by up to 30 grams. poo poo is hosed. it was enough of a difference that I only weighed them to confirm my suspicions.

edit: the sound quality is notably different from lp to lp too.

That’s hosed. 30 grams is a LOT

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Get a lot of music for a little price from the good folks at PiaPtK and Folktale records:

quote:

GET 15 Items for $19.99!

Folktale Records was a kindred spirit of our based in Los Angeles. We co-released the Anni Rossi/Whitman split with them almost a decade ago.

Christopher Payne, who ran Folktale and recorded under the name Whitman, decided to shut Folktale down, get rid of everything and move to Austin. A few months ago, he loaded up my car to the ceiling with Folktale stock, because otherwise it was going to the dump. And these are quality records that deserve loving homes. Most are in hand-silkscreened sleeves.

We are throwing in Folktale releases with most purchases, but, if you want something specific, or just want to bulk up your collection in a hurry by buying the Folktale Starter Pack, we are selling them SUPER CHEAP.

Folktale Starter Pack: 5x LPs, 1x 10", 2x7"s, 1x5", 4xCDs, 2xCassettes - 15 items for $19.99!
Whitman – White Sunrise LP
Whitman – I'll be Waiting LP
Whitman – Dog Rose Gall LP
Whitman – Recovering Darkness LP
No Paws (No Lions) LP
Anni Rossi / Whitman 10”
Whitman/No Babies 5”
Whitman – I'll Be Waiting CD
Whitman – My Heart is an Anchor CD
Whitman – Dust Unsettled CD
Whitman – Dog Rose Gall CD
Foot Ox 7”
Ezra Buchla / Whitman 7”
VA – Smashed Summer Jams 2xCassette of covers by a ton of artists including Simon Joyner, R Stevie Moore, Carla Bozulich, Charlie McAlister, Amps for Christ, etc etc.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Probably a pricing error but you can get Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate for $8 on Amazon right now

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

BigFactory posted:

Do people subscribe to you?

Wrong platform, garddad.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Hot Diggity! posted:

Probably a pricing error but you can get Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate for $8 on Amazon right now
$6.99 now, but only for Prime members. My friend was boss enough to grab us both a copy though.

Thanks!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Damnit, why do I keep getting emails for records I really want. I spend enough money as it is. Just got an email for Slum Village The Lost Scrolls Vol. 2 and I’m having a hard time not pulling the trigger.

https://www.fatbeats.com/products/s..._eid=2c8db2dc6e

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Damnit, why do I keep getting emails for records I really want. I spend enough money as it is. Just got an email for Slum Village The Lost Scrolls Vol. 2 and I’m having a hard time not pulling the trigger.

https://www.fatbeats.com/products/s..._eid=2c8db2dc6e

drat that is tempting. Wasn’t volume 1 just Dilla beats? This looks a lot more robust.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some arrivals and pickups. Just traded in like 20 records for a nice chunk of trade-in credit and sold a record on discogs too (**justifying new purchases in my mind**)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Food! We need Food! This is my first record from VMP and I am really impressed with the packaging and record quality.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i love this wolf alice album but there's no reason a 46 minute album should be 2x12" 33 RPM discs. im real mad about it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

strap on revenge posted:

i love this wolf alice album but there's no reason a 46 minute album should be 2x12" 33 RPM discs. im real mad about it

I notice this happening a lot lately and it's annoying.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Worst offender in my collection is definitely Flying Lotus' "You're Dead!"

Beautiful album, great gatefold artwork... but that poo poo is literally 40 minutes long it has no damned reason to be on two records.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

We were discussing MBDTF a few pages ago and that one is a pretty bad offender. It’s an hour and fifteen minutes pressed on TRIPLE vinyl. So much dead wax.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
For some reason I've ended up with multiple 10" box sets of albums. Flipping/changing records after every song is amazing and cool.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I notice this happening a lot lately and it's annoying.

Not as annoying as albums that have side A and side C on one record and side B and side D on the other.

I don't even know in what situation that would be beneficial.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not as annoying as albums that have side A and side C on one record and side B and side D on the other.

A DJ could play them in sequence without pauses in a weird world where DJs played entire albums.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

A DJ could play them in sequence without pauses in a weird world where DJs played entire albums.

lmao this was some indie rock poo poo, the hell they thinking

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In the olden days records could be stacked on top of the player and the next one would drop down and play automatically.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I still don’t have Thundercat - Drunk because it is a 4x10”. I did the math a while back and it’s something like 7 minutes per side.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If a record is split up and cut at 45rpm it should theoretically sound better but leaving it at 33.3 is just stupid.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I still don’t have Thundercat - Drunk because it is a 4x10”. I did the math a while back and it’s something like 7 minutes per side.

Yup, this is the one I was about to post. I hardly ever play it now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Excuse me, but I have Hot Fuss on 11 7" discs. So you want to complain?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

That’s your own fault.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cemetry Gator posted:

I own AFI decemberunderground on 6 7” records. We are all in this shame spiral together (if you don’t have an attachment to that album tho, consider flipping it for a high sum)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Jesus, isn't buying a Killers album punishment enough?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Old style record changers. I had a BSR that did that back in the day.

https://youtu.be/xLGHJt106vk

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Jesus, isn't buying a Killers album punishment enough?

that first one ain't that bad, but the rest, whoof.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I have a Frampton comes alive that is "jukebox version" with a/c b/d

I'm a big fan of the 7 inch boxset for Donuts with 8 records
https://www.stonesthrow.com/store/box-set/jdilla/donuts-45-box-set

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SeXReX posted:

Now that’s a gimmick I can get behind.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Boinks posted:

In the olden days records could be stacked on top of the player and the next one would drop down and play automatically.

A/C(bottom) + B/D(top) would play A->B(flip)D->C while A/D(bottom) + B/C(top) plays A->B(flip)C->D :science:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I remember about ten years ago there was a Led Zeppelin box set that came out that was all of the albums on single sided 45 RPM 12 inch discs packaged in a road case. I don't think any other object epitomizes rich baby boomer jerk offs more than that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

SeXReX posted:

I have a Frampton comes alive that is "jukebox version" with a/c b/d

I have the Donuts LP but still want this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

that first one ain't that bad, but the rest, whoof.

They’re all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

BigFactory posted:

They’re all bad.

And I like two of them, it's almost like opinions are subjective or something.