Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Interesting. Noncompetes are very much a thing in medicine employment contracts. People tell you when you start out that "they're not really enforceable" but I don't know the track record of success in pursuing these, so I always assume they are at least to some degree enforceable or why would they bother putting them into contracts.

yeah the thing is, it's a lot harder to enforce invalid contracts when both sides are lawyers and, presumably, good ones :v:

the thing about noncompetes is that even if they're unenforceable they can be a tremendous pain in the rear end anyway until they're declared unenforceable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That lawyers will gladly draft noncompetes for clients but will never be subject to their own is a subject of endless amusement to me.

They’re bad anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

That lawyers will gladly draft noncompetes for clients but will never be subject to their own is a subject of endless amusement to me.

They’re bad anyway.

i had a fun time explaining to a doctor friend that medical malpractice has a different standard than conventional "worker done hosed up" because they get the benefit of the standard lawyers got for themselves

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 13, 2021

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Did all the big law firms serve booze in the cafeteria in the old timey days like the doctors lounges used to?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

We’re so far removed from that we don’t even have cafeterias

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lawyers just keep booze in their desk.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We had a wine fridge in the cafeteria and break room at my two prior firms and a small number of partners had tucked away bars in their offices.

Also when I started at a white shoe firm in the 90s we had separate lawyer and staff cafeterias.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lawyers just keep booze in their desk.
Also this. I don't keep alcohol at work but I'm probably in the minority.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There's booze in like 60% of the offices here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Zwabu posted:

Interesting. Noncompetes are very much a thing in medicine employment contracts. People tell you when you start out that "they're not really enforceable" but I don't know the track record of success in pursuing these, so I always assume they are at least to some degree enforceable or why would they bother putting them into contracts.

This is itself another reason why. Statistics on how many disputes never arise about a contract because an aggrieved party just assumes the entire contract is valid would be interesting. Also, the marginal cost of challenging a noncompete changes the calculus on whether someone fights or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All of Trump’s NDAs are exactly what you described. Completely unenforceable, but you’re going to spend a lot of loving money to get to that point.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I have mouthwash in my office with 20% ethanol, does that count?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Just got out of our union picnic/meeting. So much booze. The paralegals defected from their picnic to join our boozefest.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm doing a protective order hearing in front of a Judge today. The other attorney is a baby. Like two years younger than me. And I've never heard of him.

And he's a silly young man who thinks he can win this P.O. when his client is in jail with $500,000.00 bond for assaulting my client.

And I go in expecting him and he goes, "Did you get my notice of appearance?"

I did not.

And some old dude walks in who owns the living poo poo out of the courtroom. Just complete comfort, shreds up and down and back and forth.

It's to the point where I'm impressed.

I still win but run home and google this dude.

"Chief felony prosecutor for (county) for 15 years."

Oh. That makes sense.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My last suppression hearing was supposed to be against another legal intern but instead I got depantsed and horrifically owned by the chief of violent crimes prosecution.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

All of Trump’s NDAs are exactly what you described. Completely unenforceable, but you’re going to spend a lot of loving money to get to that point.

This is the man who can't afford lawyers who make citations to things that are not fox news talk shows?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Happy Father's day, boys!

- family interaction; 0.25

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Respond to correspondence from opposing counsel. 2.00.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Respond to correspondence from opposing counsel. 2.00.

That's more like:

Draft/revise response to correspondence from N. rear end in a top hat regarding discovery dispute (1.0); Communicate (other external) with N. rear end in a top hat regarding same (0.5); Communicate (in firm) with A. Partner regarding same (0.5).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No that's how my government billing works. Actually it's:

Case name | RLT

Which is review letter. We don't have anything complicated or a spot to describe it more. And it's a 3 letter code because it must be input by operators into DOS.

And yeah I'd bill a 2h block to it because I can't get more specific.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is it time to bitch about billing? Because ProLaw sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sincx posted:

Is it time to bitch about billing? Because ProLaw sucks.

My office uses prolaw, except we don't bill, and the group I'm on is exempt from using it. gently caress prolaw forever.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Billing sucks alright. Not the getting paid part, but the extra work actually getting people to fork over the cash certainly sucks.

In cabin-related news, I just got issued my completion certificate after the final round of permit thunderdome, so I guess it's finally "built". Still, there's plenty more to do but at least I'm slowly edging away from it being a build site and towards it being a bottomless pit of money and labour.

Oh hey, I built my bedroom doors mostly, just need to get some trimmings on.

I'm pretty happy with how it looks to turn out. Sliding doors save some space, and the wood is hefty enough that noise isn't half bad either. Got some special parts done and won't be long before the interior is ready for some light staining.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wanna chill in that cabin.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Billing sucks alright. Not the getting paid part, but the extra work actually getting people to fork over the cash certainly sucks.

In cabin-related news, I just got issued my completion certificate after the final round of permit thunderdome, so I guess it's finally "built". Still, there's plenty more to do but at least I'm slowly edging away from it being a build site and towards it being a bottomless pit of money and labour.

Oh hey, I built my bedroom doors mostly, just need to get some trimmings on.

I'm pretty happy with how it looks to turn out. Sliding doors save some space, and the wood is hefty enough that noise isn't half bad either. Got some special parts done and won't be long before the interior is ready for some light staining.

The only good billing is against a retainer

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wanna chill in that cabin.

It's pretty peaceful. Here's a day and night view, and also the other side while I'm at it.

Lemme know when you're around, we'll get drunk and make taco jokes while we eat cured reindeer heart and moose burgers.

Hoshi posted:

The only good billing is against a retainer

Truth. I've finally learned this proper.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah I hit a deep depression yesterday when I was working my rear end off and was like "I'm going to have to fight these assholes for payment. All of them."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah I hit a deep depression yesterday when I was working my rear end off and was like "I'm going to have to fight these assholes for payment. All of them."

Wanna farm out your phone billing to me while I'm doing nothing? I'll get you at least 40 cents on the dollar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Need to make a startup with legal billing setup like doctor billing so a third party handles all of it and you can shift nearly all the blame/headache onto them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

Clearly what we need is the legal hours billing equivalent of EMRs and insurance codes.

We can even put a staff member in the lawyers office (partially subsidized by the lawyer) to handle all of it. We're job creators.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's pretty peaceful. Here's a day and night view, and also the other side while I'm at it.

Lemme know when you're around, we'll get drunk and make taco jokes while we eat cured reindeer heart and moose burgers.

Truth. I've finally learned this proper.

Extremely jealous. Omg. Looks fantastic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Need to make a startup with legal billing setup like doctor billing so a third party handles all of it and you can shift nearly all the blame/headache onto them.

the issue is there's no equivalent of insurance companies footing all the legal bills, so it's a client relationship issue

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Look Sir Droids posted:

Extremely jealous. Omg. Looks fantastic.

Norway is famously not a shithole.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Law goon meet at fish's cabin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

the issue is there's no equivalent of insurance companies footing all the legal bills, so it's a client relationship issue

Scraps' customers don't have insurance either. They collect the debts long term (in some cases seriously just $1-5/month) but with gentle cajoling they eventually pay out at higher than insurance reimbursement rates.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Zwabu posted:

Interesting. Noncompetes are very much a thing in medicine employment contracts.

This is heavily dependent on the state. There's three broad categories of enforcement:

In some states they're completely forbidden on "patient choice" grounds - similar reasoning to why lawyers can't have non-competes. Not only will it be pretty cheap to invalidate the non-compete, there's a good chance the complaining physician will be awarded any fees they spent on invalidating the contract.

Other states not forbidden but it's practically unenforceable because of the various factors required to demonstrate an enforceable non-compete. You'll be able to get out of the non-compete, but it's going to cost you thousands of dollars to do it.

Finally, there are other states that are ALL ABOUT physician non-competes so you should just give up and move to another state.

Regarding enforcement likelihood, generally private physician groups are much more likely to enforce than an institutional provider (i.e., health system / hospital). Private physician groups also usually have much more restrictive (and likely unenforceable) non-competes than institutions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Clearly what we need is the legal hours billing equivalent of EMRs and insurance codes.

It’s the Uniform Task-Based Management System:
https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/litigation/utbms/utbms.authcheckdam.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013