Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm starting to think that's we're slowly approaching the threatened "hero society collapses entirely" point. I'd even say there's an outside chance that UA's gonna be forced to close and 1A's going to have to go all Order of the Phoenix, and fast-track that "#1 Hero is the Justice League" idea.

...drat, that would be a really cool twist and now I'm sad that's probably not what's going to happen.
It's either that or a big thing happens and we skip the 2nd year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uhh Rei is not ready. She seems to understand that Endeavor is trying to atone. But is still too scared to meet with him face to face yet. But it appears he has visited her multiple times and talked to her already.

Re-reading the chapter and yeah I missed her saying she was too scared to see him, with her being the one defending him and talking about how he still cares about the family and isn't really leaving them behind, I saw it as him leaving gifts but not wanting to meet her. But I guess that's not really the case. Still she doesn't seem to think that poorly of him for being awful and she doesn't really seem to blame the dude.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Can we talk about how cool Hawks Quirk is? Because it is really loving cool.

The coolest thing about it is that it's definitely nowhere on the list of things I'd think a birdman would have for a quirk.

It's at once completely ridiculous and absolutely practical.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This manga has some fun uses for powers. Birdman? Actually it's telekineticly controllable feathers, thank you. Exploding sweat? Yeah I'm loving rocket man. Pyrokinesis? Let me just channel it through some bracers and now I can hover. Phasing powers? PHANTOM MENACE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

Endeavour being depowered sounds boring. He'd be, what, the 4th hero that can never hero again?

It would also mean he wouldn't have to deal with his actions, which is dull. Right now, we're heading toward Endeavor trying to make things right while realizing just how bad he hosed up. Have the Dabi reveal at the right point, and you have Japan's number one hero undermined as a symbol right as he's finally trying to be worthy of his title.

Depowered Endeavor is a martyr.

Undermined but active Endeavor is, no matter how he's trying to make things right, a symbol of the problems with hero society, and another crack in the dam.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm starting to think that's we're slowly approaching the threatened "hero society collapses entirely" point. I'd even say there's an outside chance that UA's gonna be forced to close and 1A's going to have to go all Order of the Phoenix, and fast-track that "#1 Hero is the Justice League" idea.

...drat, that would be a really cool twist and now I'm sad that's probably not what's going to happen.

I don't think we're going to see an instant collapse, but I think we're going to see the world slowly revert to pre-All Might crime levels and such. We're probably going to start seeing a lot of All For One's old allies come out of the shadows now that the threat of All Might isn't hanging over their heads.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I liked the handling of the abusive dad in Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer.

After Taiyo's mother died, his dad remarried and closed himself off. His dad would give him money to buy dinner, and not let him eat at home. His father's life was only his new wife and her baby, and he had no place for a desolate teen.

When he's grown, a few years after the world escaped his wrath, his poo poo dad tries to bribe him to go away. He even throws himself a pity party. But Taiyo has grown past him.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ill be happy if the "forgiveness arc" ends in rei sending a gently caress you and then the last panel is a picture of the restraining order.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Then this would play in the anime
https://youtu.be/GLHY0Pqeyzw

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Patware posted:

You're all going really buck wild given that the text hasn't at any point told us 'hey forgive Endeavor'

The text has said 'Endeavor has realized he was a huge piece of poo poo' and we can see he's trying to figure out how to atone.

I can't stress enough that this has all the hallmarks of an atonement story, not a redemption story. Those are two significantly different portrayals. Someone can atone without ever having his acts accepted as having been good, or even being forgiven by the people he's hurt.

It's strange that so many people are getting riled up for Endeavor forgiveness or whatever when we expressly see several characters saying they don't like him and haven't forgiven him and at least one character not forgiving him, but trying to move on from what had happened in the past. No one in this chapter said they want to forgive him or think he's a great guy in any way.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This manga has some fun uses for powers. Birdman? Actually it's telekineticly controllable feathers, thank you. Exploding sweat? Yeah I'm loving rocket man. Pyrokinesis? Let me just channel it through some bracers and now I can hover. Phasing powers? PHANTOM MENACE.

My favorite detail was that his wings actually shrunk down to little nubs when he sent out all those feathers to save people. It doesn't look like he has actual wings, just a mass of feathers on his back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
endeavor's moves all have such cool names

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i'm gonna wait to pass judgment on this Endeavor arc until the end. up until now I'll say so far so good

Hawks is so cool though, he used all his feathers to save those people. he's got another one of those Quirks that takes tons of time training to maximize, I think those are the coolest ones that have showed up so far

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Id like to think hawk could , instead of forming wings, make the feathers cover his entire body and still fly through the air in what looks like a chicken suit.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It's strange that so many people are getting riled up for Endeavor forgiveness or whatever when we expressly see several characters saying they don't like him and haven't forgiven him and at least one character not forgiving him, but trying to move on from what had happened in the past. No one in this chapter said they want to forgive him or think he's a great guy in any way.
It's essentially that we don't particularly trust a shonen writer to resolve this satisfactorily, given the many times we've seen situations like this before. There's no benefit of the doubt to be had for this kinda storyline, people just hate it and want it go away.

Especially when we could instead be focusing on characters who aren't garbage.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just hope this arc is short so we can get back to the kids soon. I want Kota and Eri to meet dammit! :argh:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I just want more Mandalay in a sweater.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Bikindok posted:

It's essentially that we don't particularly trust a shonen writer to resolve this satisfactorily, given the many times we've seen situations like this before. There's no benefit of the doubt to be had for this kinda storyline, people just hate it and want it go away.

Especially when we could instead be focusing on characters who aren't garbage.

so four years of hoshikori not loving this kind of thing up hasn't earned him specifically a little trust?

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
I mean, the main example of him writing abusive shitheads before this was Bakugo, and he openly admitted that he kind of hosed it up and took a do-over. So there's that.

EDIT: Also being good at writing stories about superheroes punching crime doesn't necessarily translate to being good at writing stories about the consequences of abuse on a family. The overlap is minimal!

Bikindok fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 16, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Patware posted:

so four years of hoshikori not loving this kind of thing up hasn't earned him specifically a little trust?

Matsui made Neuro and it was all too apparent that he had to cut short his parental abuse arc in Assassination Classroom by someone above his paygrade

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of the kids, the volume 19 cover is cute:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

The Sandman posted:

I just want more Mandalay in a sweater.

Same, friend.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Patware posted:

Until now, Todoroki's family has only been the focus of a single part of a single arc. Outside of that, it's just been a few isolated mentions here and there. He hasn't hosed it up, but he also hasn't really given himself many chances to gently caress it up.

Until the latest chapter, I thought he was doing fine. This chapter has given me some reservations, but for me specifically that's because it's reminded me of things I've experienced in my own life. There are things to be worried about here though outside of that, and I think those things are worth discussing. Horikoshi has certainly earned some trust, but this type of storyline can be unpleasant for some people and I don't blame them for wishing it would just not be a thing at all.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Very cute!

Regarding Endeavor, I don't mind that he's both a) a dirtbag and b) actually does a lot of good for the country (though this has so far mostly been offscreen). He can be complex and ambiguous, and I definitely trust Horikoshi with his characterization so far. If it turns into WOW AWESOME DAD ALL IS FORGIVEN instantaneously then yeah, that sucks, but I'll wait until it happens to complain.

(I think there's a decent chance he'll be dead in a few chapters anyway.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's done pretty well on the whole but the overhaul arc flubbed the landing on some stuff, so it's fair to be cautious about this imo

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sorry for wanting Endeavor to fail and to do so in the way that utterly destroys him as a character.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Let's talk about Momo's jazz hands.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:swoon:

I am so drat hype to watch this next episode with my girlfriend. She's gonna flip.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

I need a wallpaper sized version of this as soon as I can find one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy fuckin' poo poo.

Also, in the dub, when Endeavor's remembering all the poo poo he did to Todoroki and Rei, he implores All Might to be better, which yeah, points to him having already internalized that what he's done is wrong.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://streamable.com/3xkib

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What is it about characters in sweaters or suits that make them far more attractive?

And All might being All Might

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I believe in All Might

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RedMagus posted:

I believe in All Might

:hai:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Next week, All Might is going to go face to face with his greatest opponent, Deku's mom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPd9rniVJo

Can't wait to see the dorm room show off in the anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved One for All's "heh, he got me" smile when All Might reveals the third punch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sindai posted:

I loved One for All's "heh, he got me" smile when All Might reveals the third punch.
I just like that he was believably written in that he planned everything. He was hoping to kill All Might during their fight but he had no illusions he wasn't getting captured and he knew All Might could very well win- it's just that if All Might died, hey it's a bonus. If not, ah well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

I liked the handling of the abusive dad in Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer.

After Taiyo's mother died, his dad remarried and closed himself off. His dad would give him money to buy dinner, and not let him eat at home. His father's life was only his new wife and her baby, and he had no place for a desolate teen.

When he's grown, a few years after the world escaped his wrath, his poo poo dad tries to bribe him to go away. He even throws himself a pity party. But Taiyo has grown past him.

God I love Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer and it kills me that it still doesn't have an anime adaptation.

There's also the whole thing with the abusive grandfather and Yuuhi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vinylshadow posted:

What is it about characters in sweaters or suits that make them far more attractive?

And All might being All Might

Sweaters are good on animes, is the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I just like that he was believably written in that he planned everything. He was hoping to kill All Might during their fight but he had no illusions he wasn't getting captured and he knew All Might could very well win- it's just that if All Might died, hey it's a bonus. If not, ah well.

Also, AFO is later shown to believe that All Might not dying would ultimately hinder Midoriya's growth.