Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Now look at what a simple flash does :v:

Nice car :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I did to my ride today was purchase it (technically last night). I'm pretty stoked!

2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0L Turbo motor and *cups hands around mouth so other manufacturers hear* 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I really like it, it drives great, I havent thrashed the motor, since it had exactly 3 miles on it less than 24 hours ago, and the autonomous driving stuff is otherworldly weird. It drove itself most of the way home, including through a freeway interchange with minimal input from me. I just laughed out loud most of the time, its very odd at first, as your brain is telling you the car doesnt have this under control, but it turns out the car does have this under control.

How the hell does that work with the MT?

Nice car!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its pretty simple even with the MT. You get up to the speed you want to go, you set the adaptive cruise, and you turn the lane keeping on and thats about it. If the car in front of you slows down enough, you can downshift and still keep the cruise and lane keep on, it even rev matches for you when you do it. When things speed back up you can upshift without cancelling anything as well, its pretty slick. The car gives you visual feedback on whether or not it can see the lane accurately, and it lets you know visually and with a shake of the steering wheel when it needs your input either to make sure you arent doing the ol "Tesla Commute" and sleeping, or because it sees something coming that it doesn't know what to do with.

It also has a bunch of stuff like drowsiness detection that uses some manner of magic to determine if you're falling asleep, and it will alert you.

The only thing I lose with the manual trans is low speed follow, which uses the adaptive cruise equipment to creep through start and stop traffic without your input. Obviously the car cant work the clutch, so it cant do that. I feel like thats a small price to pay for the 6MT.

As far as I can tell, right now today, the Accord is the only car you can buy that has:

1) 4 Doors
2) A manual Trans
3) Autonomous Driving
4) Apple Carplay

Which coincidentally were all things that were on my list, so the choice was pretty simple when it came time to replace my old car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks, that is impressive and I'll give props to Honda given manual sales. They had to throw some bucks to provide that option and sounds like they made it easy as it can get from a driver prospective.

Am curious how it would handle grades. Not being obtuse...does it give warning signals on hey, time to downshift/upshift.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It doesnt warn you about shifts, you kind of have to watch the tach, but the engine pulls from such a low RPM with the turbo that you dont really need to worry about bogging it much unless you get down to like 1K RPM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it were my choice alone I'd have a very hard time not replacing my CR-V with one of those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I did to my ride today was purchase it (technically last night). I'm pretty stoked!

2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0L Turbo motor and *cups hands around mouth so other manufacturers hear* 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I really like it, it drives great, I havent thrashed the motor, since it had exactly 3 miles on it less than 24 hours ago, and the autonomous driving stuff is otherworldly weird. It drove itself most of the way home, including through a freeway interchange with minimal input from me. I just laughed out loud most of the time, its very odd at first, as your brain is telling you the car doesnt have this under control, but it turns out the car does have this under control.

Hell yeah that looks and sounds great. Did you have to have it built or was it on a lot somewhere?

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Larrymer posted:

Dunno if anyone has ever told you that you have a cool car, but you have a cool car.
Thanks! Most people (besides other 80s/90s Toyota owners) have no clue what it is since it doesn't have any badges, minus the screaming chicken badge on the hood. I'm the only first gen MR2 in town as far as I know.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even though I'm a Toyota guy, I really like what Honda is doing with their new cars. More cars need turbos. :hfive:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah that looks and sounds great. Did you have to have it built or was it on a lot somewhere?

So funny story. They obviously don't make a ton of manual accords. There were a handful around, but nothing like the automatics, which are everywhere. I went through the Costco discount program (which, sidebar, is really good and wound up saving me like $3000, which is significant on a car that lists for $32K), which means I had to go to a certain local Honda dealer to do it.

The dealer was confident they could get me one from another dealer nearby no problem. A week went by, they had called every dealer in southeastern Wisconsin and most of Illinois, and the dealers who had them either weren't giving them up, or had sold them by the time they got to them.

Eventually they found a dealer in California who had ordered a black one from the factory just to have on their lot and sell, not for a customer or anything. Normally it takes a few months for a factory order to go through, but this one was in the final couple weeks of the order. My dealer negotiated something with them to get them to give it up, and I got the order. A couple weeks later it shipped and arrived at the dealer here

Also in the couple weeks I was waiting for my order, every single 2018 2.0L manual accord within 200 miles on Autotrader was sold. They are definitely moving. They're positioned very uniquely right now, there isnt a lot out there that competes when most manufacturers are scrapping their sedans or heavily cutting sedan production.

MasonF posted:

Even though I'm a Toyota guy, I really like what Honda is doing with their new cars. More cars need turbos. :hfive:

Now that I have my first one, I completely agree! :hfive:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always hear stories of new manual cars being so hard to find and selling out real quick and can only imagine they're being shipped to Dubai or something because I never ever ever see them in the wild.

Nice car, though. How's the 2.0T compare vs the old V6?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I couldn’t tell you because I’ve never driven one. Every review I’ve read or watched says the turbo 4 is an upgrade over the V6, because, while it makes slightly less peak HP, it makes more torque, and it returns better fuel economy numbers while doing it.

All I can say is it’s really fun when the boost hits and the car starts pulling harder and harder.

My outgoing car was an Infiniti G35x with the high rev motor and I can corroborate the reviews. The accord has more grunt and gets way better gas mileage. The Infiniti motor sung its rear end off in the upper revs though, so sound seems like the only loss I’m taking right now.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure they make some bolt-ons for the new Honda engines, exhaust especially. :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Or you could flash it with a Hondata tune and make 290hp / 375ftlb without changing anything else

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah hondata has gotten big power out of them with just a software flash.

Since the accord uses a variant of the Civic Type R motor I’m sure there’s a lot of room for power in it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Not a car thing but I successfully removed a stripped allen bolt using a Speedout bit. I've broken lots of easyouts but this thing actually worked as intended on the first try. I'm especially appreciative since it was the last bolt on a treadmill I was selling and the buyers were standing over me as the allen stripped, the hammered-in oversized torx stripped, then first speedout attempt worked.

A+++ would use again

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
always gently caress with your car computer

what could go wrong?

:getin:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Took it to the drag strip for the first time ever last weekend.

The car is 14 years old with 202K miles on the all stock LS1 powertrain, well worn street tires, and myself as the driver is a complete novice. I wasn't expecting to do very well, but I know I need the experience if I want to get any better.
I set a somewhat optimistic goal of high 14 seconds, and I got to make a total of three passes throughout the evening to see how close I could get.

Pass 1 - Just awful. I accidentally bumped the traction control switch while turning off the line lock, and didn't notice until after the horrid launch. Inevitably losing time while fumbling with turning it back off. 16.629 @ 78.02 mph

The car I lined up with was a wicked 90's notchback Mustang.

Pass 2 - No traction control interference this time, but plenty of wheel hop and reaction time issues to sort. Getting better though. 15.319 @ 86.86 mph

I lined up with a friend of mine in his newly bought 2012 Mustang GT. If he didn't miss his 3-4 shift, he would've run considerably quicker.

Pass 3 - It was last call before closing the staging lanes for the night, and we decided to give it one more go. This time I got to line up along side a SAVAGE first gen Firebird that absolutely decimated me. I still did better than my last pass, which is the best I could've hoped for. 15.177 @ 90.72 mph

Bonus dash cam clip of my last run. Listen closely after I get blown away and you can hear the internals of my transmission vibrating up through the shifter while accelerating, one of many reasons I don't want to go full bore just yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWEg6Y2e7s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That reaction time for the Firebird is something else.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah hondata has gotten big power out of them with just a software flash.

Since the accord uses a variant of the Civic Type R motor I’m sure there’s a lot of room for power in it.

The accord has two available manual transmission motors, both turbo 4s. The 2.0 is a fine motor. You can however pick up a used v6 for way less that has 300hp and a clutch. Way harder to find.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right, but the older ones don’t have the other stuff I wanted. Fine vehicles, I was just looking for something specific.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Root Bear posted:

Pass 2 - No traction control interference this time, but plenty of wheel hop and reaction time issues to sort.

Just making sure, you do know that reaction time isn't factored into your ET, right? If you just care about how quick it goes down the track, don't focus on cutting a good light. If you want to do any actual racing (heads-up or bracket) you'll want to work on that. With where you're at, you just need to get used to starting to launch on the third yellow, not green. Remember that the clock doesn't start until your front tires clear the staging beam, so you need to move a few inches before it starts the clock.

GTOs are pretty under-tired anyway, so they're a bit tricky to launch.

Edit: also don't underestimate the impact of density altitude. If it's hot out you can lose a good bit of horsepower even with everything else being ideal.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
When I got the ugly Gangnam-style Kia, I was told the windshield-washer tank had a leak. I looked at the filler neck disappearing into the fender lining, and said "gently caress it, I'll do without."

Last weekend I did an experiment, topped up the tank with plain water, it only took like a cup/240ml before it overflowed, and was blue like the windshield fluid you buy from the store. Booped the activator for it, heard the motor whine, nothing came out. Opened the hood, the engine cover was wet. Hmmm.

Had Mom come out and press butan while I looked under the raised hood, got sprayed in the face. Turns out it was the elbow joint in the hose between hood and body had broken off.

Today I went by OReilly's on my way to the grocery store, got a bit of hose and some fittings, and it's good as new.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 17, 2018

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Good find. I had a similar thing happen on a Chevy Sonic. But nothing actually broke; the rubber hose just slipped off of the elbow. Mashed the hose back on and everything magically worked again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The forester XT got two new front sway bar links

The MINI got a new digital boost gauge

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Ordered tires for it for install next week. Hopefully get those by midweek for install plus an alignment.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The MINI got a new digital boost gauge

Does that one use a sender like this?: http://prosportgauges.com/electric-boost-sender.aspx

Curious to hear how it holds up. Not sure if you'll have the Mini long enough though. I burned through those at a rate of something like one every 6 months when I had my MS3.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Swapped my fog lights out for LEDs. Raised the headlights and then turned the switch back to parking lights so the headlights would be off while I worked on it. Removed the headlight shrouds, then reached in to pull the fog light bulb. I forgot that the fog lights stayed on when the parking lights are on, so I got a billion degree light bulb in my palm.

Got them switched out though, and started the car to test everything. The belts started squeaking. Checked the harmonic balancer because they're a problem on c5s, it looks OK. Put some belt dressing on and it went away. I think the ac belt idler pulley might be going bad/dry bearing. I'll inspect that on one of this week's rainy days.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

Does that one use a sender like this?: http://prosportgauges.com/electric-boost-sender.aspx

Curious to hear how it holds up. Not sure if you'll have the Mini long enough though. I burned through those at a rate of something like one every 6 months when I had my MS3.

Yeah that same type. I more than likely will sell this in the next 3-4 months so I likely won’t see the longevity of the sender.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Ordered tires for it for install next week. Hopefully get those by midweek for install plus an alignment.

Look like a great deal, let us know how you like the firehawks. I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW’s, will report back as well.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Look like a great deal, let us know how you like the firehawks. I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW’s, will report back as well.

Yea they are the popular ones right now that are a rebranded Bridgestone iirc - right now they also have a 60 dollar visa rebate on a purchase of four. I’ll update later.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got the Firehawks on my car. 3000 miles, a road trip and one autocross down and I love them.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I spent a few hours replacing the gears in the LS460s driver's seat lumbar drives. There's two motors with planetary gear sets that control the amount and position of the lumbar support and the planet gears tend to explode but the OEM supplier sends out metal replacements for free. It took a couple hours but if I had to do it again it'd be probably an hour to do both, tops. Now the seat is perfect and while I was doing things I fixed a balky ashtry/lighter cover door in the console so now everything I'm aware of works like new.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I scotchgarded it because I have kids who will inevitably spill stuff in it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a squeaky belt on the C5. The idler pulleys weren't bad, but you could tell they were low on grease after years of use. Changed all the idler pulleys. I forgot how much AC belts suck on a GM. Got everything back together, and now it's just as bad. The belts are fairly new (I bought it a month ago). I'm going to order some Gatorback belts. Hopefully that fixes my issue.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

An old I work with had me order one FROM THE INTERNET for his GM truck, had the same issue. He said it solved it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

An old I work with had me order one FROM THE INTERNET for his GM truck, had the same issue. He said it solved it.

Unfortunately no one around here stocks them. I had to order them from RockAuto.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Yesterday I installed a Works Bell hub and release, and Prodrive wheel, and then had 'er detailed, hopefully to head to a Cars and Coffee tomorrow... if I can wake up early enough, and find something to cover the passenger seat so my pooch doesn't scratch it up like my DD.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

Unfortunately no one around here stocks them. I had to order them from RockAuto.

Same, and same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remembered that I own a Miata so I went to Dad's house and picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Once I installed a tune on my 18 Si it became apparent that there is lots of inconsistency in the clutch engagement so I removed the clutch delay valve from the slave cylinder and installed a stainless steel clutch line while I had everything apart. Took about 2.5 hours with lots of cursing and bashed knuckles, also I learned how to gravity bleed a clutch for the first time.

This loving little C-clip took a good 30 minutes to remove from the slave cylinder using a variety of small picks and flat blade screwdrivers.

This little white piece of garbage is the delay valve, it went right into the trash. No shots of the installed SS line.

Car has a central jack point about 3-4 feet behind the front bumper, requires a low profile jack but makes getting the car up on stands a breeze. You can't actually see the jack point and just have to trust you're on it, there's a small cutout in the plastic shroud to allow the jack access.

Installed a Hasport 62A durometer rear motor mount, this was a pretty big pain in the rear end to get wedged into the same space the stock mount occupied. Crazy vibration when engaging/disengaging the clutch when taking off from a stop, I'm told that will go away after about a thousand miles. Otherwise it feels amazing to drive now, shifts are extremely crisp and the clutch actually feels like a real clutch with no delay in engagement in combination with removing the delay valve.

Up for tomorrow is taking the center dash and console apart for the 2nd time to install more Acuity Instruments goodness in the shifter assembly. I have their just released short-throw adapter to accompany the already installed shifter base bushings, centering spring, rocker arm, cable bushings, boot collar, and shift knob. MX Master 2S for scale:

Also scheduled an appointment to get tinted on July 2nd, can't wait!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 24, 2018