Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Blacksmith finally won a match which was surprising

Here is hoping that the catears guy goes up against tombstone or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Here is hoping that the catears guy goes up against tombstone or something

Tombstone is only going to go up against serious contender bots until the 16 tournament.

Probably the weird thing about the format, in a lot of ways they have created multiple tiers of robots, and they are all mostly fighting within their tier.

Like they aren't putting Tombstone up against the Four Horsemen because that would be a joke of a match.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's better I think, decreases the odds of matches being duds (looking at you hamburger bot).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tombstone vs Hamburgerdud would have been a lot more entertaining than what we got :v:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I don't think Icewave's graze on Yeti after the bout was intentional per say.
As I was watching the fight with my friend I said "Wait, they both aren't moving yet Yeti is getting counted out? Icewave has to show some movement."

It wasn't until after the 10 count Icewave moved and subsequently took a chunk of Yeti's wheels but I think it was to show that Icewave wasn't also incapacitated.

Or maybe I'm just a gigantic rear end in a top hat like Icewave.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One of the refs/VP (Remar) is saying he told Icewave to move or he would knock himself out. Icewave didn't need to show movement because he wasn't being counted out but at least we know it wasn't intentional, just a bad ref call.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

A big part of the goal with the new "ranking match" system was to make it easier for people to watch an individual episode whether or not they've seen the prior ones which makes it far easier for the network to do reruns/marathons/etc where people aren't always coming in with the same knowledge. The fight card system also is meant to somewhat resemble boxing/mma, where you've got the top names facing each other and undercard fights where new or underrated bots get a chance to prove themselves and climb into the main event(s).

During filming they had a general idea of what matches they wanted but would only announce the next day or two typically so they had a good bit of ability to adjust match-ups based on how the bots were performing at the time. It was a bit brutal on the teams, as there are a lot of fights, and a lot of damage to fix (and filming was only 16 days long including setup/off days) but there's a general feeling across the teams that it will make for good TV.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Complete Control was the one piloted by a Goon who participated in the original series right?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Complete Control was the one piloted by a Goon who participated in the original series right?

And said goon is a judge now!

All the fringe conspiracy theories about SA being the illuminati are true.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MikeNCR posted:

A big part of the goal with the new "ranking match" system was to make it easier for people to watch an individual episode whether or not they've seen the prior ones which makes it far easier for the network to do reruns/marathons/etc where people aren't always coming in with the same knowledge. The fight card system also is meant to somewhat resemble boxing/mma, where you've got the top names facing each other and undercard fights where new or underrated bots get a chance to prove themselves and climb into the main event(s).

During filming they had a general idea of what matches they wanted but would only announce the next day or two typically so they had a good bit of ability to adjust match-ups based on how the bots were performing at the time. It was a bit brutal on the teams, as there are a lot of fights, and a lot of damage to fix (and filming was only 16 days long including setup/off days) but there's a general feeling across the teams that it will make for good TV.

I feel like its probably the best incarnation of the show yet, especially since they seem to be getting more into how teams strategize and adjust for fights.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just having less bullshit and more robots blowing up makes this season much better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grand Fromage posted:

Just having less bullshit and more robots blowing up makes this season much better.

this is what it all comes down to

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Free Shipping suiciding into Huge over and over again was amazing.

Also lol yeti

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

logikv9 posted:

Free Shipping suiciding into Huge over and over again was amazing.

Also lol yeti

I believe they way Free Shipping is set up, all of the weapon stuff is at the top and the box the wheels are attached to are drive portions and such which might have been under Huge's weapons clearance so I could just keep running into Huge without being in danger of getting too mangled

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Free Shippings team posted a closeup of the damage they took from Huge.

https://www.facebook.com/freeshippingbot/videos/187711715220442/

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Great Beer posted:

Free Shippings team posted a closeup of the damage they took from Huge.

https://www.facebook.com/freeshippingbot/videos/187711715220442/

Which judge was it that gave that match to Free Shipping and what drugs were they on?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey when the hell did this come back

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey when the hell did this come back

Whatever you do, don't read the OP. The OP, which content is pretty literally just the answer to your question.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh sorry, let me rephrase my post so that literal minded will understand it:

I am both excited and surprised to see battlebots is back on TV! I didn't realize that had happened!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is the third new season, so you have a lot of robot fighting time to catch up on!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I actually ran a fantasy battlebots league for the last thread in 2016 that SLICK GOKU BABY participated in and came in last place, I just wasn't expecting Discovery to pick it back up after a year of it being off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do sawblade weapons do any meaningful damage? Lots of sparks but they never seem to do anything

When your bot is small enough to fit in the other' bots wedge, you're kinda screwed

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do sawblade weapons do any meaningful damage? Lots of sparks but they never seem to do anything

When your bot is small enough to fit in the other' bots wedge, you're kinda screwed

You mean besides last season when red devil cut straight into witch doctors battery?

Saws may not have that massive hit line other spinners but they pair very nicely with a well driven control type bot, as sawblaze has been showing. Plus, anything is better than more small vertical disks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

haha Monsoon wins the cripple fight

Subzero's gets bailed out of a retarded strategy because Shredator can't take a hit god drat it

e: How the gently caress is this a split decision the what are you smoking Naomi

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 16, 2018

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Haha, that jurassic world ad was great

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

god I love Bronco

knocked out of the arena

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

That Jurrassic World commercial actively pissed me off. Lets run marketing executives out of this country on a loving rail.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Working through the first few episodes of this season. So far I've laughed out loud at the one MIT guy just pasting the other one and shouting "Go back to school, your driving sucks" and also at the burger guy saying "My son! My only son! Why? "

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is the third new season, so you have a lot of robot fighting time to catch up on!

You can watch ep. 5 on Science Channel right now but that's it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel extremely bad for Bombshell. It gets stuck in the same position, again, and instead of just getting counted out, they get launched out.

Chomp is still ambitious, but rubbish. Their new self righting mechanism is cool, but agonizingly slow compared to what a human directed mechanism can do.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chomp is kinda funny when it jumps but it's a gimmick and I would love to see it torn to pieces. I don't understand the reasoning behind something like that. It will never win against serious bots so why not redesign it into something that isn't dumb.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

god I love Bronco

:same:

what better way to win a match by ejecting them from the field of play

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiMXqg5G_I

:drat:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
tbf chomp would own against some bots. "I'm not technically breaking the rules" wedgebot that had their poo poo broke after one strike might have lost against literally anyone else

wyachi clan can eat a dick

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subzero's gets bailed out of a retarded strategy because Shredator can't take a hit god drat it

Hey now, it's only a dumb strategy if it fails. They won the fight therefore rope-a-dope was a great plan. :v:

Grognan posted:

wyachi clan can eat a dick

Yeah there's just something about those guys.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno, being unable to absorb its own recoil in a sustainable manner seems to be a flaw with almost all of the full-body spinners so far.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Driving towards the opponent with a slab of high quality metal seems to be the most reliable way of dealing with spinners, there's a good chance their weapon drive will fail before the mounting for your metal slab. Subzero's didn't seem optimally attached tho, particularly against hits coming in at an angle.

e: How the gently caress is this a split decision the what are you smoking Naomi

Probably because the other bot was beginning to break down. I feel like on a long enough timeline Chomp would win against almost anyone.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because it was more of a stalemate than an actual win. Neither bot managed to hurt the other in any real way even if one was arguably in more control. It's not like the constant flipping of Chomp accomplished anything.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Haven't seen the match, but I remember a lot of people were upset about Chomp getting the decision over Disc-O in 2016, but is mega dumb because chomp had pocked the thing full of holes in the first bit and broke its disc, and then disc-O spent spent the last two minutes flipping Chomp over, which didn't matter because it could self right. Chomp would go on to one hit KO the defending champion Biteforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Chomp's axe and targeting thing are actually really effective when they connect, it's a shame the thing still flails around like it's drunk the whole fight. I would have thought they would have fixed that or at least made it not as bad between seasons.

• Locked thread