Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac, and Nimrod are all great albums that have held up. After that they fell into the music industry trap of "let's make an album that rides on one hit and one or two other good songs. Everything else is filler." Minority and American Idiot are good songs but basically everything else around those songs is forgettable.

American Idiot sucks but it’s not a bunch of filler. Isn’t the whole thing supposed to be a rock opera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
also the offspring were better than greenday ever was as far as that genre/era goes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When I think of Green Day, I think of the worst era of music. Specifically, the whiny assholes who sing through their nose, whose songs were as bad as the people they were getting mad about (See: Every song on American Idiot)

And on the other hand Gorillaz's Demon Days had very good commentaries on the same kind of stuff nerds like Green Day were getting mad about (see: Fire Coming Out of The Monkey's Head, Kids with Guns, Feel Good Inc, pretty much every song on that album)

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also the offspring were better than greenday ever was as far as that genre/era goes.

:yeah:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

offspring have a good number of brilliant songs

bad religion have two

blink 182 were unironically my favourite band for a time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The singer of The Offspring has a Biology PhD and it's like what the gently caress, you can't be successful in science and art you greedy rear end in a top hat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Offspring is legit good and was the first tape I ever bought as a kid. Still holds up today

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The singer of The Offspring has a Biology PhD and it's like what the gently caress, you can't be successful in science and art you greedy rear end in a top hat.

I just found that out after i posted and looked at their wiki and i was also like what the gently caress. It's not even an honorary one in some fluff subject, it's a real one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All you all idiot bitches ain't heard of Choking Victim in this thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah he's like the opposite of Dave Grohl since not only does he believe HIV causes AIDS, but he also wrote a scientific paper about HIV.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

they were not played on the radio station the bus driver played for us in the mornings so they didn't exist to me back then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was like ten lay off me

Caufman
May 7, 2007
BtMI! never sold out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unpopular opinion: "selling out" is not a negative thing, it is a synonym for "was successful".

Caufman
May 7, 2007
'Success' in this era is fleeting and suicidal narcissism.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I sold out long before you ever even heard my name

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Unpopular opinion: "selling out" is not a negative thing, it is a synonym for "was successful".

It can be a negative thing. Smash mouth for example sold out hard. Rammstein did not. Though yeah I'll agree with you that a lot of people accusing a band of selling out are wrong. Bands change and evolve over time. Making dramatic changes to make a label happy, sell more records, and appeal to the least common denominator is selling out for sure. Just becoming popular and successful while maintaining your roots is not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is the extreme opposite of selling out. Bands like Radiohead that progressively make weirder and more boring music. Should be a term for that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Caufman posted:

BtMI! never sold out.

Debatable
https://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/jeff-rosenstock-sold-now-found-ten-dollar-bill-ground/

Caufman
May 7, 2007
:monocle:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but what about the cure

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the extreme opposite of selling out. Bands like Radiohead that progressively make weirder and more boring music. Should be a term for that.

Being shite? For the record i love everything up to kid a, even pablo honey. Everything since has not been good music.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all are some basic bitches

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Literally dying for the cause, like the musicians on the Titanic or MLK Jr for a non-musical example.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Dave Grohl
so dave grohl doesn't believe in HIV? because uh :psyduck:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"I only listen to rap, country, and Top 40."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Country in general is actually good, the reason it's bad now is the hegemonic nature of the country music industry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

purple death ray posted:

"when I come around" is the best song green day ever did. Also green day kinda sucks but Dookie is still a really listenable album

It’s funny I had the exact same thought just yesterday.

Personally I think Green Day’s output since the late 90s is some of the worst poo poo I’ve ever heard but Dookie and even insomniac are pretty hard to dislike. Both them and Weezer started out good and went down the toilet in a pretty spectacular fashion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

It’s funny I had the exact same thought just yesterday.

Personally I think Green Day’s output since the late 90s is some of the worst poo poo I’ve ever heard but Dookie and even insomniac are pretty hard to dislike. Both them and Weezer started out good and went down the toilet in a pretty spectacular fashion.

I talked to a guy who was a roadie off and on over the years. He went on tours that involved both Green Day and Weezer. Apparently the guys in Green Day are swell dudes that are nice if a bit rough around the edges. The guys from Weezer he described as "impossible assholes that nobody liked."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Will Smiths and DJ Jazzy Jeff's Summertime is the perfect summer anthem. There was no point in making anymore after it was released.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The only reason I think Green Day is noteworthy is that they created the song that 90% of highschool senior classes throughout all of history and the future will use for their graduation song.

Green Day is Vitamin C?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The only reason I think Green Day is noteworthy is that they created the song that 90% of highschool senior classes throughout all of history and the future will use for their graduation song. It's not even a good song but if you go to a relative's graduation you better believe you're going to be listening to that song.

It's funny because that song is a break-up song from the perspective of the person cheated on. The name of the song is good riddance, as it's about him saying goodbye to a cheating girlfriend. The lyric "I hope you had the time of your life" is him basically saying, "hey, I hope you had a great time and that it was worth destroying our relationship over."

Makes me want to just sit back and just listen to some happy patriotic songs about how great America is. Like Born in the USA or Keep on Rockin in the Free world.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8BRWNaOdlc

Ah that classic Reagan

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

Will Smiths and DJ Jazzy Jeff's Summertime is the perfect summer anthem. There was no point in making anymore after it was released.

loving word

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

Country in general is actually good, the reason it's bad now is the hegemonic nature of the country music industry.

yea once I heard like outlaw country that bitched out at the rich that wasn't on the radio and was hella mad that pop country rules the radio market

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

MizPiz posted:

No. The authoritarian side took over too much of country. If Woody Guthrie showed up nowadays with a guitar that said "This machine kills facsists" he would be shot straight away. If a modern country musician were to cover a John Prine song, they'd rephrase the whole thing as a pro-coal anthem and denounce any complainers as lazy and wanting a hand out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know what country you're listening to. The new stuff I listen to is mostly about getting drunk, hot women, trucks and/or tractors and occasionally dip. Maybe I glossed over the goosestepping and submitting to authority subtext.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Johnny Cash is the best country band.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Neko Case is saving country

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know what country you're listening to. The new stuff I listen to is mostly about getting drunk, hot women, trucks and/or tractors and occasionally dip. Maybe I glossed over the goosestepping and submitting to authority subtext.

lol its because you already believe that poo poo you dont notice it anywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just point me to a few of these so-called authoritarian country songs that are supposedly taking over the radio. I am saying there is no subtext to notice unless you're using an exceptionally twisted logic that hears something like "god bless the USA" as "destroy the atmosphere with coal, kill the poor".