Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Monica_Rappaccini_(Earth-616)

Here's the funniest panel I could find on Google of her:

"I have the cure right here... it's a naked woman in a tube".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Say Nothing posted:

"I have the cure right here... it's a naked woman in a tube".
I'll take four!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bruceski posted:

Just walk away, you're better not knowing.

I've been on the internet long enough to know this is true.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I like how the Phoenix Force settles on Logan.

If only there were some force out there that could bring back one of it's many more worthy vessels...

All the other beings capable of hosting the phoenix force did so, and ascended. Only poor Logan remains connected to Maya, the last mutant bodhisattva, thanks to his fixation on worldly attachments such as "heroism" and "stogies."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

All the other beings capable of hosting the phoenix force did so, and ascended. Only poor Logan remains connected to Maya, the last mutant bodhisattva, thanks to his fixation on worldly attachments such as "heroism" and "stogies."

He refuses to die until he can watch the Flames win another Cup

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone mad that Aaron is including Wolverine in a story is a crazy person.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Yea lol who's like I was with this when sixteen time traveling partially genderswapped thors used an issue of heavy metal magazine to fight Galactus but Wolverine floating at the end of all things saying snikt bub? That's a drat bridge too far.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think I prefer my theory that anyone old enough will eventually look like Old Man Logan

Elfface posted:

Except Aunt May, who is so old she's started to come full circle.

"Eat yer wheat cakes, Bub!" *SNIKT*

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
injustice 2 # 62

context: it's injustice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Phy posted:

He refuses to die until he can watch the Flames win another Cup

In fact, that isn't even the Phoenix, it's the embodied essence of Being A Calgary Fan, which is why it looks sort of disappointing and leaves its host with a craving for beer.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Hawkeye #12:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry clones of Wolverine, clones are the worst.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sorry clones of Wolverine, clones are the worst.

While that's true for most of them, Gabby is basically the best child character in any comic I've ever seen. Young Laura was cool too.
I actually can't think of many good child/early teen characters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cant cook creole bream posted:

While that's true for most of them, Gabby is basically the best child character in any comic I've ever seen. Young Laura was cool too.
I actually can't think of many good child/early teen characters.

Runaways and Teen Titan members have a strong showing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

Teen Titan members have a strong showing.

The teen titans had members that weren't 15-17?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lurdiak posted:

The teen titans had members that weren't 15-17?

Robin is actually only 10, but Batman pumped him full of growth hormones to make him a better disposable child solider.
Comic books are weird sometimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From the latest US volume of Vinland Saga

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Somberbrero posted:

injustice 2 # 62

context: it's injustice.

Why is a comic that was literally made as a tie-in/advertisement for a fighting game so drat good?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Keeshhound posted:

Why is a comic that was literally made as a tie-in/advertisement for a fighting game so drat good?

This question gets asked all the time, and the reason is beautifully simple. Nothing in the story matters, and there's basically 2 rules. 1) It's Batman and his friends vs Superman and his friends. 2) You can't kill off Batman or Superman until the end.

That's it. Everything else is open to you, regardless of how weird or stupid or just plain out of character it would be for your idea to happen. So it lets you do anything.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

From the latest US volume of Vinland Saga

I have no idea if that "As you can tell, I'm female" line is supposed to be a gag, but I'm laughing at that totally sexually ambiguous dog.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

CzarChasm posted:

This question gets asked all the time, and the reason is beautifully simple. Nothing in the story matters, and there's basically 2 rules. 1) It's Batman and his friends vs Superman and his friends. 2) You can't kill off Batman or Superman until the end.

That's it. Everything else is open to you, regardless of how weird or stupid or just plain out of character it would be for your idea to happen. So it lets you do anything.

It also helps that "Superman becomes a tyrant" is a pretty good starting point if you know what you are doing. Also it has the benefit of being an Alternate Universe tale too. Which is a much better handwave than Cosmic Cube/ Anti-Life Equation fuckery is.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 16, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Matt Lindland posted:

Yea lol who's like I was with this when sixteen time traveling partially genderswapped thors used an issue of heavy metal magazine to fight Galactus but Wolverine floating at the end of all things saying snikt bub? That's a drat bridge too far.

This, but unironically. :D

(Sorry; I lived through the "Wolverine must be in every comic" years.)

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Calling it anger is wrong. It's more like weariness.

As I see it Laura is a character than Logan. Jane is different than Thor Odinson. Miles is not Peter. Kate is not Clint.

They use the same hero name but they're different people, and, at least theoretically, put a different spin on the original's dynamic.

The difference in the situations is that this is Logan. It's clearly intended to be a big Wow! Cool! moment but for me at least it falls flat because it seems like it's happening just for the sake of being unexpected. And also because the Frank Castle appearance was pretty popular so the management is on the look out for situations where they can do stuff like that again.

Also I don't see a clear line of how Wolverine would become Phoenix. I mean aside from dying and coming back to life. But it's comics to that's not that noteworthy. The phoenix has always been shown to go for pyschics as it's avatars if it has a choice. So why wolverine? Though they do both like redheaded telepaths so I guess they could bond over that.

Who knows, maybe it'll work out well. This is just my reaction to seeing a single splash panel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think the previous bazillion issues of Jason Aaron's Thor has earned him enough good will to trust him on this one thing.

It's not like this is the first time a character has been shoved into a wildly inappropriate cosmic role for a gag.

Edit:for some reason this issue doesn't seem to be on Marvel Unlimited because ours is not the best of all possible worlds, so I don't know what happens in the actual story.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 16, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Galvanik posted:

Also I don't see a clear line of how Wolverine would become Phoenix. I mean aside from dying and coming back to life. But it's comics to that's not that noteworthy. The phoenix has always been shown to go for pyschics as it's avatars if it has a choice. So why wolverine? Though they do both like redheaded telepaths so I guess they could bond over that.

Because he's the last being in all of existence. You don't get picky when your choices are 'have a host' or 'dissipate into the vast, cosmic nothingness that is the end of all reality.'

Though honestly I think that the Hulk would out-live even Wolverine. I know they did a comic where he had just continued to loving survive for ages.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

prefect posted:

This, but unironically. :D

(Sorry; I lived through the "Wolverine must be in every comic" years.)

But if they hadn't done us the favor of putting Wolverine on every cover, I'd have never thought to buy Marvel UK's Hell's Angel and Warheads #1s. 25+ years later they're both practically worth the cover price still!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Also, if you haven't read Thor #1, it was very very good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Galvanik posted:

Calling it anger is wrong. It's more like weariness.

As I see it Laura is a character than Logan. Jane is different than Thor Odinson. Miles is not Peter. Kate is not Clint.

They use the same hero name but they're different people, and, at least theoretically, put a different spin on the original's dynamic.

The difference in the situations is that this is Logan. It's clearly intended to be a big Wow! Cool! moment but for me at least it falls flat because it seems like it's happening just for the sake of being unexpected. And also because the Frank Castle appearance was pretty popular so the management is on the look out for situations where they can do stuff like that again.

Who knows, maybe it'll work out well. This is just my reaction to seeing a single splash panel.

Yes, I'm sure 'management' is why Jason Aaron, who's been telling this Thor story in installations over several years, would suddenly decide to drop this cameo in his book. It's definitely because the Frank Castle As Cosmic Ghost Rider thing that was done by an entirely different author was so popular that someone marched into Aaron's writing space with a copy of the comic and told him to do the same kind of thing. Yep. That's gotta be it. The writer, after all, has zero agency in this sort of thing, and there's clearly no reason to believe that he's telling this story for a reason that may range anywhere from ''there's actually a really good reason for this and you will find out when I'm done" to "gently caress it I thought it would look cool."

Let me guess, you thought Jane Foster as Thor was editorially mandated too.

(psst that was sarcasm)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Or maybe comic book writers are nerds themselves and will cream their pants at the chance to make their epic childhood fanfiction canon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

I keep asking this myself. I am trying to find a good answer beyond those posted and it just seems to boil down to the creators having fun and hence being inspired to keep doing whatever they feel like to keep having fun.

It shouldn't work, in some ways, because writers doing whatever tends to draw the sometimes righteous ire of editors. But maybe, since it was "just" a tie-in comic the editors showing benign neglect towards the series is on purpose. And, since the two big staples of Supes and Batman are more or less leveled in power when they use things like those pills they used to have, they don't have to keep figuring out contrivances to keep the story going.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think the previous bazillion issues of Jason Aaron's Thor has earned him enough good will to trust him on this one thing.

It's not like this is the first time a character has been shoved into a wildly inappropriate cosmic role for a gag.

Edit:for some reason this issue doesn't seem to be on Marvel Unlimited because ours is not the best of all possible worlds, so I don't know what happens in the actual story.

please tell me that's a hostess fruit pie in franklin's hand

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think they call it something different, but yes. That's exactly what it is.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aunt May becomes the "Golden Oldie", which I will never forget.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MikeJF posted:

Isn't this them acnowledging that? "Yeah, we're never going to let wolverine loving die, are we. I know it, you know it, here he is at the end of time."

I hate what I'm about to say, but Claremont's stated idea for the End of All Things is Wolverine (as the Immortal Undying Killer) and Jean (as the Embodiment of Love, Life, and Rebirth) finally getting together in the dead universe and starting the next one.

I first heard that on J&M X-Plain while in my car, and I rolled my eyes for so long the guy behind me honked because I wasn't going at the light. Claremont is responsible for the X-Men I love, and in a very real way responsible for the kind of superhero comics I love, but his Big Ideas are universally incredibly stupid.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't even know in which comic this is stated but I always heard that Galactus drains planets so he'll provide energy for the birth of the next Universe, which will be shaped by the Phoenix

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

I don't even know in which comic this is stated but I always heard that Galactus drains planets so he'll provide energy for the birth of the next Universe, which will be shaped by the Phoenix

As Carl Sagan famously said, "we are made of Galactus poop."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Don't go for that "chaos rippling against the laws of physics for billions upon billions of years" thing, if you want a universe you have to have some kind of guiding force to make sure it ends up all right.

Do you want infinity stones? Because that's how you get infinity stones.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I love infinity stones. Amazing. Wonderful, wonderful stones. Lovely.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Test Pattern posted:

I hate what I'm about to say, but Claremont's stated idea for the End of All Things is Wolverine (as the Immortal Undying Killer) and Jean (as the Embodiment of Love, Life, and Rebirth) finally getting together in the dead universe and starting the next one.

I first heard that on J&M X-Plain while in my car, and I rolled my eyes for so long the guy behind me honked because I wasn't going at the light. Claremont is responsible for the X-Men I love, and in a very real way responsible for the kind of superhero comics I love, but his Big Ideas are universally incredibly stupid.

Is Mister Immortal curled up in a ball trying not to watch them get it on, but it's his one job in existence and nothing else exists anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That owns