Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s sub par for nudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I installed the latest windows 10 update and now file explorer crashes, even in file picker menus lmao

where does windows store what's in the little sidebar on the left of an explorer window, the drives and special folders and stuff? maybe I need to reset that junk to the default, there's some detritus from old apps I never uninstalled properly in there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i have too many files

the file list is very long and I cannot find the file I want

I wish for a way to organize so many files

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

use a file manager op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

use fileman.exe op

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
is midnight commander good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Helianthus Annuus posted:

no

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

is it 1993

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you're an old and you get misty eyed when thinking about the good old days of Norton Commander on DOS then yeah by all means try midnight commander.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Total Commander still owns

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, my computer has recently been getting a non-insignificant number of "there's weird activity on ur network m8" google catpchas when i search in chrome through omnibar. whats a good way to monitor network activity of my computer in a comprehensible form?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tankakern posted:

Total Commander still owns

lol no

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

post must have got stuck for a few decades

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
and what of desktop commander

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

and what of desktop commander

giving the orders for fun

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Is anyone else seeing random system locking on Win10 1803? Even some reliable, stable systems, once brought up to 1803, are showing it. Clock stops, system totally halts. I tried reinstalling with some media that has 1803 slipstreamed in but I'm seeing the same thing. Hardware is a mix of mostly HP, ProBooks, 8300's, etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

netwerk23 posted:

Is anyone else seeing random system locking on Win10 1803? Even some reliable, stable systems, once brought up to 1803, are showing it. Clock stops, system totally halts. I tried reinstalling with some media that has 1803 slipstreamed in but I'm seeing the same thing. Hardware is a mix of mostly HP, ProBooks, 8300's, etc.
no what did you do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
using my computer mouse over the last week is causing pain in my right forearm. its seriously inhibiting my ability to do renders and I dont want to persevere coz its clear its bad

now I THINK the initial problem is that Ive been using the mouse on a low table so my wrists are essentially pulled back a lot, so I have immediately tried to address that part of it, by sitting on the ground so my arm is level with the coffee table I use as a table, but even then immediately it starts to hurt

this isn't happening with the mice at work

any ideas

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

try a an ambidextrous mouse instead of an ergonomic mouse, that helped me a lot with what sounds like similar pain
also learn to mouse with your left hand like some kind of freak, its a good party trick

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so, my computer has recently been getting a non-insignificant number of "there's weird activity on ur network m8" google catpchas when i search in chrome through omnibar. whats a good way to monitor network activity of my computer in a comprehensible form?

i'd start by eyeballing the processlist for anything i dont recognize. you can also fire up wireshark, tcpdump, or something, then filter it so you are only looking at activity on ports 80 or 443.

you could also check your router to see if there are any devices on your network you dont recognize. if you're sure something naughty is happening on your network, then it would make sense to check the processlist and tcpdump each device. but if you have an android device that got owned or something, IDK what to do with that.

but maybe you just inherited a dirty IP, which was previously used by another customer of your ISP to scrape google results or something. or maybe google is blocking large swaths of your ISPs ip space. good luck getting them to tell you anything. you might have to get on a VPN.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

using my computer mouse over the last week is causing pain in my right forearm. its seriously inhibiting my ability to do renders and I dont want to persevere coz its clear its bad

now I THINK the initial problem is that Ive been using the mouse on a low table so my wrists are essentially pulled back a lot, so I have immediately tried to address that part of it, by sitting on the ground so my arm is level with the coffee table I use as a table, but even then immediately it starts to hurt

this isn't happening with the mice at work

any ideas

you gotta start using the thinkpad nub! or maybe try a trackball. i wouldn't gently caress around with a repetitive strain injury tho. its good to step away from the computer instead of trying to power thru

i like Shaman Linavi's left-handed mouse idea. you can use your right hand to crank your hog and use your left hand for double-clicking the mouse

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got a vertical mouse for the office. idk if it actually helps but maybe?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

you gotta start using the thinkpad nub! or maybe try a trackball. i wouldn't gently caress around with a repetitive strain injury tho. its good to step away from the computer instead of trying to power thru

i like Shaman Linavi's left-handed mouse idea. you can use your right hand to crank your hog and use your left hand for double-clicking the mouse

yeah im not dumb enough to gently caress with it

whats amazing is how quickly its showed up after like 20 years of computer use, and now in the space of a week

Shaman Linavi posted:

try a an ambidextrous mouse instead of an ergonomic mouse, that helped me a lot with what sounds like similar pain
also learn to mouse with your left hand like some kind of freak, its a good party trick

I think so.. but better make sure that doesnt get hosed too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone made a driver to use a theremin as a mouse?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
first person to buy one uses his dick

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

first person to buy one uses his dick

That’s why Discovery World canceled my membership. :saddowns:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

now here is a comptuer problem

for like the last six months I find that various this, the sound just stops. VLC, just stops. if you gop to the audio menu and change the interface to the only audio output I have it fixes it

spotify stops the sound randomly

netflix too

its like something is happening in windows like the sound interface is loving up...

is there any way anyone has any idea of what I can do???????

hopefully its not a hardware thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

lol

now here is a comptuer problem

for like the last six months I find that various this, the sound just stops. VLC, just stops. if you gop to the audio menu and change the interface to the only audio output I have it fixes it

spotify stops the sound randomly

netflix too

its like something is happening in windows like the sound interface is loving up...

is there any way anyone has any idea of what I can do???????

hopefully its not a hardware thing
how many sound cards do you have exposed to your operation system? this would include onboard sound cards, expansion slot sound cards, usb headsets, bluetooth headsets, anything like that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just my internal sound card but I wonder if the hdmi connection to the tv/monitor is also one🙈

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'd start by eyeballing the processlist for anything i dont recognize. you can also fire up wireshark, tcpdump, or something, then filter it so you are only looking at activity on ports 80 or 443.

you could also check your router to see if there are any devices on your network you dont recognize. if you're sure something naughty is happening on your network, then it would make sense to check the processlist and tcpdump each device. but if you have an android device that got owned or something, IDK what to do with that.

but maybe you just inherited a dirty IP, which was previously used by another customer of your ISP to scrape google results or something. or maybe google is blocking large swaths of your ISPs ip space. good luck getting them to tell you anything. you might have to get on a VPN.

cheers

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

just my internal sound card but I wonder if the hdmi connection to the tv/monitor is also one🙈

have you ever installed an ASIO sound driver?

i have this thing that switches my soundcard to single-application only whenever I load up a program that supports asio sound, and it has the exact same impact on my system

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

probably some dumb hot plug detect/power saving thing making the hdmi sink randomly disappear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm there was like 4 hdmi sound outs in the sound settings that werent being used, so I disabled everything but the one I used lets hope it fixes it

what was weird was in VLC when the sound would cut out, the volume slider would only move between say 35-45 and nothing above or below #weird

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

hmm there was like 4 hdmi sound outs in the sound settings that werent being used, so I disabled everything but the one I used lets hope it fixes it

what was weird was in VLC when the sound would cut out, the volume slider would only move between say 35-45 and nothing above or below #weird
i don't think anyone in here's going to be able to make vlc suck any less, sorry

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

VLC is very bad. This is the wisdom of Pagancow (pbuh)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

If you're an old and you get misty eyed when thinking about the good old days of Norton Commander on DOS then yeah by all means try midnight commander.

the problem is that unix filesystems are more complicated and mc is too straight-up an adaptation of nc

if you just want a good file manager with an mc-like interface you probably want emacs dired mode. i am not kidding at all.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I'll second trackballs. I switched years back and once you find the right one for you it's amazing. I'd personally avoid thumb ball mice, but that's because they seem to just shift the strain to my thumb. there is on reddit (sadly) a very active trackball community with recommendations

I'm personally a fan of, of course, a discontinued model by logitech and my trackball left click is going, so I'm now going to have to start replacing parts

the starter logitech trackman marble is perpetually available, ambidextrous, and cheap so that's a safe starter if you don't feel like doing research into types and options

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
right so I just installed a unifi access point but I am a bit confused.

currently its running in standalone mode. it works i guess but all the features like multple SSIDs ya cant do

so I've worked out you need a controller to get the most out of it, and I have one on this laptop but this isn't at my place.

so what's a controller?

I'll tell ya what I hoped would happen : I would install this at persons house, and using the unifi app they can control it and choose SSIDs and turn off some and on some for kids and guest etc.

i saw something about cloud controllers? but this isn't a free service run by unifi? and youd have to get a cloud controller?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its actually immensely frustrating, I feel like I am making so many different logins. your UBNT account, usernames for the controller, admin names which need different passwords

if I had known all this I think I would have gotten a much simpler solution, just a high quality AP that has lots of features but works standalone

especially coz this isn't my house or money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

just a high quality AP that has lots of features but [isn't ubnt]

this does not exist in the consumer market