Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wyvernil posted:

Was going to start playing Saint's Row 2 again, any advice that isn't already on the wiki?

I'm also trying out the mod recommended on the wiki, what does that add besides general bug fixes and extra customization options? Are any of the "optional" parts of the mod worth using?

1) Ignore the gang order lines on Before I Play. Do the missions in whatever order feels right to you, whether or not that means jumping between gang plotlines. I know it blargs about difficulty if you already destroyed other gangs but I don't actually remember that being a thing? I guess I'd page IdolNinja to see if this is actually the case, since he's the driving force behind Gentlemen of the Row, but he might be limited in what he can tell now that he works at Volition.

2) There are no bonuses or penalties for the game difficulty, at least on Windows. Choose whichever feels right to you.

3) The timing issues with the Windows port of Saints Row 2 (running too slow or fast) only exist in Windows 7. The GOG version is frame-limited, ostensibly so the in-engine cutscenes don't go off the rails, but can otherwise be treated like Steam version 1.2 for GotR purposes.

4) As for optional parts of Gentlemen of the Row, I dunno, maybe being able to alter your wardrobe clothing colors without having to buy new clothes? (Section 5, option 3) (They'll still default to the colors you bought though, and you can't change the style from there. If it feels cheaty or something to you, then don't I guess.)

Also GotR changes a few of the unlockable bonuses, but usually favorably, and the GotR Reference gives you the details. I don't think they're spoilery but :shrug:

A lot of it you might have to feel out for yourself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, mouse aiming in Saints Row is what the video game community officially considers "imba hax" and you can switch between controller and KB/M at any time, or even use them in play simultaneously, in all of the Saints Row games on PC. This will probably help you with the tow truck the one time you have to use it during the story (it's early in SR2 and easy).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Okay, cool. I guess the gang order doesn't really matter much (not sure how doing the Samedi last would make the game harder). When I first played, I went with Samedi first followed by Brotherhood and then Ronin last.

From reading the information on the mod, one tip I can give for the PC version would be to save as often as possible, since the port seems to be very buggy and prone to crashing at random. I guess the mod fixes a lot of the issues, but I still got a crash when looking through clothing on the first mission it became available.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My first playthrough of SR2 I went Samedi, Ronin, and then Brotherhood cause it seemed right due to their colors: green->yellow->red.

The second time I played I alternated, in the same order probably, so it sorta all came to a head at once.

Honestly either works and makes sense in my opinion, so do whatever feels right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Nioh, specifically regarding character builds?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

anilEhilated posted:

You can respec through some items that go up in cost each time, so dont worry too much about loving up your build early. Pick a couple of weapons to specialize in but don't be afraid to use a weapon not in your chosen classes if it's good. You get skill points for using weapons of various classes so you can pick up some free points that way.
For the initial mode you don't really need to min/max your build specifically, but keep some gear around in case you need to swap out what elemental resists you're using as it can make certain boss fights less of a brutal rear end gently caress if you're like me and you don't have the hands to avoid everything flawlessly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any idea how much I can spread my stats? I understand they make you choose two weapons, but then there's the ninja stuff, ranged weapons, magic and spirits - is it any viable to have a hybrid or should one just stick with one of the four?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

anilEhilated posted:

Any idea how much I can spread my stats? I understand they make you choose two weapons, but then there's the ninja stuff, ranged weapons, magic and spirits - is it any viable to have a hybrid or should one just stick with one of the four?

At very high levels you can max two and get a third very high. Realistically, at least early on, you want to spread kind of wide because you'll need enough stats to activate the bonuses on your armor and stuff, though those breakpoints are pretty low. There are also diminishing returns, if I recall, so going from 100 to 110 in a stat isn't worth as much as going from 40-50, even though they're both 10 levels.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Putting a few points into Ninja for the elemental consumables is an excellent idea early on. There's nothing particularly strong to elements for the first chunk of the game and having a reliable source of fire damage makes tackling the larger oni a far more surmountable prospect while you're still learning the ropes. Even later on, being able to pop a consumable for a bit of extra power will save your life.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The poison and paralysis removal pills are also worth the couple of points they cost to unlock.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Right, thanks. Something on a slightly different note - anyone got anything for Sundered?

Monsters spawn in waves, unlike other metroidvanias. It's sometimes better to run than to fight. When you die, the maps individual rooms shuffle around, but landmarks and the overall layout of the map does not change.

The upgrade tree costs more the deeper you go. Pick out some powers to aim for, before you buy random things. But, beeline for the parry missiles power, it will save you a lot of pain.

You unlock new powers through shrines, you find shrines by exploring. Shards are your primary means of upgrading or transforming those powers. Mini-bosses drop a shard fragment (it takes 3 fragments to make a shard), while main bosses drop a full shard. With your shards, you can either "resist" or "embrace," i.e. burn them in the furnace found in the first area, or sacrifice them at shrines. Resisting gives your power a significant boost. Embracing transforms the power into something different, but better.

You can mix and match embracing and resisting for one ending of the game, or go all in one one path for two other endings.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Get a few points in the charm or whatever that slows down enemies you throw it at. It's absurd and trivialises most of the game (so don't use it all the time but there will be bosses who make you cry)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anything for Resident Evil 7?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brightman posted:

My first playthrough of SR2 I went Samedi, Ronin, and then Brotherhood cause it seemed right due to their colors: green->yellow->red.

The second time I played I alternated, in the same order probably, so it sorta all came to a head at once.

Honestly either works and makes sense in my opinion, so do whatever feels right.

After having played through (most) of Saints Row 2, I can definitely say that I would've liked it more if everything came to a head at once, or if some of the missions were staggered so the really heavy poo poo from each branch doesn't start until you've done all the new gang member missions. It's just a tiny bit jarring to go from tricking a methed-out biker into crushing his girlfriend with his monster truck to "yo boss! this yakuza punk looked at me wrong, let's go TP his house!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What can you tell me for Vampyr?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What can you tell me for Vampyr?

-It is possible to permanently lose out on clues by pissing people off. It's not usually a huge deal, but it's a good idea to choose your words carefully.

-Unlocking all clues for a character (specifically the pillars of community) can offer you alternative ways of solving main quests relating to them. However, those unlocked ways are not automatically guaranteed to be the ideal solution. Use your judgement.

-Many sidequests have two ways of solving them, which can in turn determine whether you get certain clues. Always check the questlog for your options before turning one in.

-Your Mesmerise ability, which gates what people you can chomp down on, is automatically leveled up at certain points in the story.

-Killing a named NPC will always lower the stability of a district in the short term, even if they were total assholes who had it coming.

-Any time you rest to spend XP, time will advance and people may get sick, which lowers district stability. Make sure not to rest too often, or the new sicknesses may get over your head. Waiting until you've banked a couple thousand XP is usually a good idea.

-Endurance is probably the most important stat for combat. Make sure to invest into it early on.

-It's a good idea to have all four types of damage (Melee, Ranged, Blood, and Shadow) available, since most enemies tend to have resistances against some of them.

-Bite is very powerful. If you find yourself struggling with combat, improving Bite damage and using a stunning weapon is a strong option.

-Don't bother buying Milton's shotgun, it's kind of a downgrade from the regular shotgun.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 16, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think the less you know about RE7 the better the experience. It's fairly straightforward. Just don't forget you have a guard move.

I will say I think it's worth it to play the demo first. If you choose not to it won't ruin your game or anything, but it's a neat demo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It doesnt seem like it, but blocking will reduce huge amounts of damage even from things that seem like they should not be a good idea to block. Its not totally impervious, there are some maneuvers that will kill you through block but theyre telegraphed and boss related.

Early on, youll shake the guy chasing you and gain access to the upstairs of the house. Do not inspect thr bathroom until youve done everything else. Thats the progression trigger and its annoying to be unable to collect anything until you basically finish that level.

Safe rooms truly are safe.

The end of the game is just as bad as you think it is, enjoy the excellent variety from the DLC

Please appreciate the potato chip bag in the game. Some artist did their research and they should be respected

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m not playing RE7 any time soon but I gotta know more about that bag

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not playing RE7 any time soon but I gotta know more about that bag

While there are things in the game that are wrong like the species of centipede used, and things which are insane like a basement in louisana, the art for the bag of chips is a specific satire of a louisiana local chip company not just a generic chip replacement.

The other good art direction is absolutely everyone is obssessed with college, not pro, football and the colors are correct for the college theyre paroyding.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A good tip for Resident Evil 7 would be "the combat is horribly clunky and unfun, prepare to load your save and break immersion multiple times".

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

A good tip for Resident Evil 7 would be "the combat is horribly clunky and unfun, prepare to load your save and break immersion multiple times".
welp

horses for courses :shobon:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are the tips on wiki page for Planescape Torment all valid for the Enhanced Edition or are there different things I should consider/different mods reccomended for that?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything for Cryptark? The wiki has absolutely no mention of it.

edit: Nevermind, I couldn't make any progress in it so I returned it and I'll get something else once summer sale starts tomorrow.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 21, 2018

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Looked at my Steam library and it turns out I have both Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Is there one that's better than the other or do you need to play both really?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I have not got around to playing hong kong and only played a bit of returns but the overwhelming consensus is the two games after returns are much, much better.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Looked at my Steam library and it turns out I have both Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Is there one that's better than the other or do you need to play both really?

Hong Kong is dramatically better than Returns (they'd gotten almost all of the kinks worked out, in addition to the writing improvements.) It's to the point where if you are at all interested in returns you should play it first because going back after the later games is pretty rough.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 21, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They're all good, and there's also Dragonfall Directors cut between Returns and Hong Kong.
They tend to get more polished as you go. Returns is definitely the roughest of the three, and opinion in the thread in the past is split between "skip it" or "play it but mostly for the story". If you're only going to play one of those two, I'd personally say Hong Kong by a fairly large margin.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hong Kong full stop.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There is one thing Returns does best and that's acting as an introduction to the setting, it was clearly designed from the start for people who don't know anything about Shadowrun. It goes over a lot of the terms and themes and purposefully throws in most central Shadowrun tropes in the mix during its events.

But yeah, as a game it is clearly the weakest of the three, though not by any means terrible. It only noticeably drops the ball at the very end with its bad final dungeon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

There is one thing Returns does best and that's acting as an introduction to the setting, it was clearly designed from the start for people who don't know anything about Shadowrun. It goes over a lot of the terms and themes and purposefully throws in most central Shadowrun tropes in the mix during its events.

But yeah, as a game it is clearly the weakest of the three, though not by any means terrible. It only noticeably drops the ball at the very end with its bad final dungeon.

This is a good point, but I'm of the opinion that reading a quick primer on the setting would be a better use of time, and let you get to the good games faster.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kanfy posted:

You say that, but as someone who was pretty familiar with Shadowrun from the start the climax of Returns was pretty much one-thousand-percent pure grade-A fanservice. It does serve great as an introduction but it also is full of Easter eggs and stuff (such that the final dungeon has more buildup if you're familiar with the lore and is kind of a cool reveal.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

i hope you took lots of levels in rifles, and not pistols, or magic, or melee <imagine the :black101: emote here but he looks sad like :eng99:>

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kanfy posted:

It also is the best entry point to understand the mechanics: How point distribution "builds" work in the system, why the archetypes are all crap and why ARs are overpowered as gently caress, that they had to triple their prices in the later titles to balance them out.
Later games are a lot more strict with money and equipment purchases, not a lot of room to fumble with the basics.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i hope you took lots of levels in rifles, and not pistols, or magic, or melee <imagine the :black101: emote here but he looks sad like :eng99:>

Eh, you can beat that game fine with anything since it's not particularly hard, though melee is indeed pretty bad.

Or if you mean the final dungeon specifically, the main gimmick of that place ignores all weapon skills altogether.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

Or if you mean the final dungeon specifically, the main gimmick of that place ignores all weapon skills altogether.

I thought the gun in question used Rifles and can only be equipped by the player character, so if you took anything else, you'd constantly whiff everything

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The story and atmosphere in Returns are pretty good, but the gameplay is blah. Leave the difficulty at the default so you can zing through it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I thought the gun in question used Rifles and can only be equipped by the player character, so if you took anything else, you'd constantly whiff everything

It's classified as a shotgun (though it always ignored the skill) and while I believe in the past it did take your Quickness and Ranged Weapons into consideration, in some patch or another since they made it so that everyone's equally alright with it. There are two other characters who carry one as well, one of them optional, though even with three it's not exactly fun.

Gynovore posted:

The story and atmosphere in Returns are pretty good, but the gameplay is blah. Leave the difficulty at the default so you can zing through it.

You should do this anyway as the higher difficulties are bugged. They're bugged in Dragonfall as well, though not as dramatically and only to the favor the player. Basically if you start Dragonfall on Hard or especially Very Hard, your companions are quite a bit stronger than they should be because the permanent stat bonuses applied to all NPCs on higher difficulties also gets applied to them as they also start off as NPCs before joining the party. The only way to play it "fair" on higher difficulties is to have the game be on Normal (Easy probably works too) before loading an area where you meet a companion for the first time (namely the beginning, the end of the opening mission and before entering the top floor of the hotel in the second mission).

No such bug in Hong Kong though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 21, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
In order to avoid getting much on the Steam Sale I've installed Distant Worlds (which I got on another Steam sale and never played).

Help? I know that the game has a lot of automation, but I'd rather play and understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fat Samurai posted:

In order to avoid getting much on the Steam Sale I've installed Distant Worlds (which I got on another Steam sale and never played).

Help? I know that the game has a lot of automation, but I'd rather play and understand it.

Here ya go.