Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Just had some of the Kirin 6% beer(red can). It's not very good. I have had much stronger beers that didn't taste of alcohol as much (up to 9% that still taste like a good craft beer).

Not sure how asahi premium manages to taste much better at the same percentage.

The premium malts "master's dream" was pretty good though (I would say fantastic but it might just be in comparison though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you're a breakfast lover like me I've got two recommendations.
World Breakfast Allday in Omotesando. A cosy little hole in the wall that specializes in serving breakfasts from around the world. I ate a Malaysian breakfast there in May which was pretty good.
And Egg in Ikebukuro. Specializing in, you guessed it, eggs. They also have a paper tablecloth and a glass of crayons on every table. My friends drew a bunch of dicks on my spot while I was in the bathroom.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

-If a man in a Buddhist monk robe tries to give you a medallion, don't take it
Could someone explain this to me? I don't recall hearing about it before.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bofast posted:

I was in Harajuku walking with my six month old son in one of those chest carriers and one of these "monks" offered me a token. The boy was grabbing at it so I was like OK sure. He then asked for my address, and I was like, hell no you can't have my address. He proceeded to rip the token away from my boy and started yelling at me. I smiled, but if I hadn't had a baby strapped to me, holy poo poo.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I was in Harajuku walking with my six month old son in one of those chest carriers and one of these "monks" offered me a token. The boy was grabbing at it so I was like OK sure. He then asked for my address, and I was like, hell no you can't have my address. He proceeded to rip the token away from my boy and started yelling at me. I smiled, but if I hadn't had a baby strapped to me, holy poo poo.

Oh. Yeah, sounds like something to avoid.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Basically, if you're approached by one and feeling froggy, just curb stomp them and no one will mind and everyone will feel they had it coming.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pththya-lyi posted:

Lonely Planet guides are pretty good for that sort of thing because, while they do talk about tourist stops, they also deal with places to hang out and things to do that aren't specifically for tourists, like bars and nightclubs, concert venues, neighborhood parks, etc. They also have general information that's useful - the local legal system as it might relate to you, history of the city or region (including recent history up to the time the current edition's been published), different ways to get around, culture and etiquette stuff, how to place a call out of the country, where to get help if there's an emergency, etc. I recommend them.

E: And tips, in no particular order:

-Convenience stores like 7/11, Lawsons, and Family Mart are a good source of cheap prepared meals that are not only edible, but actually pretty good
-Breakfast places are rare, so plan accordingly
-7/11 ATMs let you withdraw money using your bank card; this isn't true of all ATMS IIRC
-Trains are efficient and clean, just avoid rush hour
-Don't feel like you have to eat at "recommended" restaurants all the time, you'll most likely be fine if you pick a place that looks good to you
-Karaoke parlors are not like in the West, you rent a private room by the hour
-If a Nigerian man starts telling you to go to a club or a bar, say "no thank you" and walk away
-If a man in a Buddhist monk robe tries to give you a medallion, don't take it
-Business hotels are good if you want a budget-friendly option and are not comfortable using AirBnB for whatever reason. Rooms are like closets, but amenities and service are good and prices are relatively low. The APA chain puts Japanese nationalist propaganda in their rooms, so you maybe want to avoid them
-Visiting a sento or onsen can be a rewarding experience as long as you're cool with being naked in front of strangers and following rules to keep the bath clean

The quoted post led me back to this, and congratulations, that's as comprehensive a tourist list as I've seen. You are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Were they Chinese tourists? I recently saw a bunch of sketchy scammers and they are the same gimmicky scammers as the ones you find in mainland China

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just use wiki travel or whatever basic internet guide.

TOO TOURISTY?? Omg guess you aren’t cool enough to find cool places on your own because tourists probably wanna do touristy things when they go to x foreign country the first time

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m actually broke brained because I fly across the sea to meet people for dinner

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Stringent posted:

The quoted post led me back to this, and congratulations, that's as comprehensive a tourist list as I've seen. You are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

I'll add these:

- get a SUICA or PASMO card, not just for easier public transport use, but also for konbini and drinks machines
- said drinks machines are everywhere
- not all of them take SUICA cards, so have a ton of coins (you will anyway)
- free and usually clean public toilets are everywhere
- konbini are also good places to get rid of your trash as there are few public trashcans other than directly on train platforms beyond the ticket gates

For eating out, we checked Google Maps for nearby places with a good score and mentions of an English menu as we don't speak Japanese. Some places also have pictures or plastic displays of the food so you can just point.

Hope not all of this is far too obvious to mention.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Those are all helpful. Also the most commonly used food app in Japan that isn't tabelog is Foursquare so you may have some luck there. Don't use Yelp.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh yeah please bring your atm card and take out cash, don't expect to use a credit card anywhere but hotels. Cash is good and fun.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
All the tips are good. I used convenience stores for breakfast extensively. And vending machines as a dumping ground for coins. They don't take 1 or 5 coins usually, so use them in stores to get better change. Or be smarter than me and use your metro card at the store and have no change :).

I stayed near Asakusabashi Station in Tokyo. It was pretty convenient, one seat from Haneda was nice when jetlagged.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gschmidl posted:

- konbini are also good places to get rid of your trash as there are few public trashcans other than directly on train platforms beyond the ticket gates

Oh yeah, I've carried the remains of my Pocari Sweat bottles for what felt like miles! Usually there are some next to the machines but not guaranteed.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh yeah, absolutely no tipping, and no opening taxi doors by yourself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are a bunch of really good bakeries, so that's an option for breakfast that isn't Mr Donut.

As someone pointed out earlier, don't get Honkirin (red can Kirin).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Phone posted:

There are a bunch of really good bakeries, so that's an option for breakfast that isn't Mr Donut.

As someone pointed out earlier, don't get Honkirin (red can Kirin).

Just go to a store and get one of every alcoholic drink, then sit down on the side of a major commercial area (without blocking traffic) to people watch, and boom, best day in Japan.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bofast posted:

IIRC they try to extract a "donation" of several thousand yen from you in exchange for the "gift" of a cheap plastic medallion. They show you a book with "donor names" as proof that they're legitimate - if all these other people donated, it must have been for a good reason, right? Real Buddhist monks will happily take donations if you go to them, but they don't go out hustling for money, and they don't just target foreigners.

A man tried to give my husband and me a medallion at Sanja Matsuri last year, but I'd read about the scam, so we knew to refuse him. He looked like such a nice old man, too! :(

Stringent posted:

Aw, thanks! :blush:

gschmidl posted:

I'll add these:

I forgot to mention the cards! Yeah, it's way easier than buying a ticket every time you use the train, and there's even a tiny discount for using a card. You can turn in the card at the end of your trip to get your remaining cash and deposit back, or you can keep it as a souvenir!

Other tips people have posted are also good.

E: One more thing: write down and/or print out the address(es) of your hotel(s) in English and Japanese so you can show it to people if you get lost and/or need to take a cab. Do the same thing for your country's embassy or consulate. Always have your embassy's information handy when you travel abroad!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 15, 2018

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Osaka has a lot of breakfast places, if you go make sure to get those fluffy soufflé pancakes and also omu rice

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

gschmidl posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely no tipping, and no opening taxi doors by yourself.

except when you have 3 people and one person sits at the front. The front door doesn't open by itself.

Btw I expect to use a credit card everywhere except at restaurants who are small and sometimes minshuku. About like 3 years ago all of the credit card systems were unified and things became a lot better.

also I'm brokebrained like caberham, so much that the immigration dude this time while entering had to flip through like 16 pages of Japan tourist stamp + visas and was like "drat you come to Japan a lot".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Okaeri~

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

-Breakfast places are rare, so plan accordingly

Someone tell me why Japan is so bad at breakfast when p much all other parts of Asia are very to extremely good at breakfast.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Breakfast is v good here but cafes don't open until 10am lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I started a bunch of places for Tokyo

Good food in tokyo

https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1tLjJSa6MpiuIeWTBsF1RwPSjynQ?hl=en

Hope this helps

Magna Kaser posted:

Someone tell me why Japan is so bad at breakfast when p much all other parts of Asia are very to extremely good at breakfast.

We need to spend a romantic night in an onsen and wear matching yukata for some grilled fish and rice.

I do like the salted fish and seaweed. Also Japanese rice porridge, the consistency is different.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is going to japan they really should see some Tokyo goons.

Yes there are a lot of them and they are fun but they are busy city folk with their own social schedule.

Just make lots of repetitive posts like me and PM people and badger them to hangout and bring souvenirs.

People like to dunk on stringent and all but he’s a super cool guy and when he gets drunk that twinkle in his beady eyes look super cute. And of course shout out to my Tokyo goons who always help me out with translation stuff and food suggestions.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So my a super cool Melbourne goon is accompanying her girlfriend for some academic conference.

We plan on being in Tokyo from July 6 - 10. They will be on their way to OSAKA so I’m just there for a weekend. Who wants to hang out?

Hamburger time!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Do you use the metro debit cards on bullet trains or just local city metro?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Do you use the metro debit cards on bullet trains or just local city metro?

you technically can, but usually it's better to either A. get the JR pass as a foreign tourist or B. just directly by the tickets/fare you need from the kiosk/ticket office.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

peanut posted:

Oh yeah please bring your atm card and take out cash, don't expect to use a credit card anywhere but hotels. Cash is good and fun.

I'm not sure how true this is anymore, over the past few years I've tried to go all in on credit cards to take advantage of rewards and was surprised at how easy it is now. I think the whole "you can't survive without cash" is an outdated tip. For sure smaller local stores will be cash only, but more or less all chains and mid-sized restaurants seem to have credit card support these days. You should still definitely carry a decent amount of cash though!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That's accurate yeah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Always have cash, I know people who are act like they're allergic to cash and every single one of them ends up with a story of their card being declined on vacation and being hosed. Don't be one of those idiots. But yeah Japan doesn't stare at credit cards like some sort of weird alien artifact the way they did the first time I went all the way back in the depths of 2012. Smartphones had even become the majority over flip phones the last time I was there. :eyepop:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

That's accurate yeah.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

caberham posted:

So my a super cool Melbourne goon is accompanying her girlfriend for some academic conference.

We plan on being in Tokyo from July 6 - 10. They will be on their way to OSAKA so I’m just there for a weekend. Who wants to hang out?

Hamburger time!
I will also be visiting with MY GIRLFRIEND, but we arriving at NRT on the 10th.

We'll probably be in Tokyo a week or so, then we'll set off riding our bikes North-ish for two months. I'm up for meeting up or some bike riding if anyone wants to accompany us while we try to navigate a way out of the city. Is following a river the best way for me to get out of Tokyo without getting ran over or having to stop to look at a map every block?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CopperHound posted:

I will also be visiting with MY GIRLFRIEND, but we arriving at NRT on the 10th.

We'll probably be in Tokyo a week or so, then we'll set off riding our bikes North-ish for two months. I'm up for meeting up or some bike riding if anyone wants to accompany us while we try to navigate a way out of the city. Is following a river the best way for me to get out of Tokyo without getting ran over or having to stop to look at a map every block?

I'm happy to meet up with you. There is no good way out of Tokyo unfortunately.

You should check the forums out here: https://www.tokyocycle.com/bbs/portal/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Always have cash, I know people who are act like they're allergic to cash and every single one of them ends up with a story of their card being declined on vacation and being hosed. Don't be one of those idiots. But yeah Japan doesn't stare at credit cards like some sort of weird alien artifact the way they did the first time I went all the way back in the depths of 2012. Smartphones had even become the majority over flip phones the last time I was there. :eyepop:

Yep, this is the right strategy. It's nice that card are supported more, but having cash on hand* is always the way to ensure you're fine.

*how much cash? I would recommend at least 10,000 yen. I usually carry at least that much. 10,000 can cover dinner, or some drinks, or a taxi without needing another ATM run. Sometimes all of the above.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

harperdc posted:

Yep, this is the right strategy. It's nice that card are supported more, but having cash on hand* is always the way to ensure you're fine.

*how much cash? I would recommend at least 10,000 yen. I usually carry at least that much. 10,000 can cover dinner, or some drinks, or a taxi without needing another ATM run. Sometimes all of the above.

Getting some of those into 1000 yen notes ASAP is also helpful because a lot of kiosks will only take 1000 notes, maybe 5000.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There's a handful of caves around Yamanashi that my buddies and I would like to get to, but have no idea about the area. Are there tour buses that would get us around the Saiko bat cave, Narasawa ice cave, Motosu wind cave and Caverna de Omu? Theoretically we could walk the entire thing but that wouldn't leave us a lot of time in each cave most likely. I can't imagine public transport is super regular around there. They're all in the area of Aokigahara foest, which I've been told is an interesting place outside of all the suicides. I really don't fancy snuff tourism as it seems kinda disrespectful, but if it's worth visiting for other reasons and am in the area, I might like to squeeze that in too.

Also, one of our group seemed pretty excited about some ninja-themed experience near Akame 48 waterfalls. Their description sounds like it would either be a fun day out or definitely something designed for 6 year olds and we'll look like a bunch of weirdo creeps, but I'm not sure which. Anyone done it?

edit: I was surprised that last time I visited in 2016/2017, I barely had to use cash - so many restaurants and shops were able to take card. Life became so much easier when I didn't need to worry about having so much money on me at all times.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I mean, anything with ninja activities in it probably was originally designed for kids, but possibly could be cheesily fun in a 'company offsite' kind of way. Pics below.

http://www.akame48taki.com/asobu/ninjanomori.html#tuite

For Yamanashi, if you are going to places without public transportation you might as well rent a car. There are two ways to do this:

1) Rent car in Tokyo, drive to Yamanashi and then drive and return in Tokyo (calculate tolls, compare them to taking public transportation, and note that if it's your first time driving in Tokyo can be a little confusing)

2) Train out towards Yamanashi, rent car there and return there and take train back.

I personally enjoy driving out of Tokyo, but some people hate it.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Question Mark Mound posted:

There's a handful of caves around Yamanashi that my buddies and I would like to get to, but have no idea about the area. Are there tour buses that would get us around the Saiko bat cave, Narasawa ice cave, Motosu wind cave and Caverna de Omu?

The Bat Cave, Ice Cave, and Wind Cave are all serviced by busses operating out of Kawaguchiko. I don't know about Caverna de Omu, Google isn't turning up anything.

This page is pretty useful: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6911.html

The Wind Cave and Ice Cave are close together, Bat Cave is a bit further north. Hiking from Wind/Ice to Bat will take about an hour, and you can get a nice view of Fuji from Koyodai.