Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

How about linking the patreon/donation button more visibly (or, in the case of the patreon, linking it at all); it seems like every time this comes up a few more people are totally unaware they even exist.

Even changing it to a red font or something eye-catching that stands out would maybe help. Also is it possible to rename the patreon "Gaming Garbage/SA" so it's more obvious it's dual purpose when people visit it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lowtax posted:

I'm not sure about that... I specifically remember a lot of people asking for that feature a few years ago when I made a thread asking what new features people would want to see implemented on the forums. I mean, I can disable it if it's universally loathed, but I recall a lot of people saying that was something they wanted.

If my recollection is correct the request was more for something like continuous loading of new posts in near realtime if they happen when you're at the end of a thread. I'm sure that's a taller order.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hoping the next upgrade makes my posts better.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Well, poo poo. It didn't work.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If my recollection is correct the request was more for something like continuous loading of new posts in near realtime if they happen when you're at the end of a thread. I'm sure that's a taller order.

Literally impossible with the current software :rip:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That's why I'm on board with moving to new software with the bare minimum necessary, and working with that in situ.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm a big fan of https://www.discourse.org but it's radically different in look and feel. It reminds me more of how twitter and facebook works than a traditional forum.
It has all those neat live update functions though and feels very modern, you can see when someone is writing a bad post and it will pop up at the bottom without having to refresh anything. It could be a fun experiment to move a single subforum over to a different engine to see how people like it.

It supports SSO so you could probably just make it piggyback on top of the existing forum login if you tell one of the yospos nerds to write a small sso provider for SAVB
https://meta.discourse.org/t/official-single-sign-on-for-discourse-sso/13045

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ok how do i turn off this bookmarks auto refresh thing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

How about linking the patreon/donation button more visibly (or, in the case of the patreon, linking it at all); it seems like every time this comes up a few more people are totally unaware they even exist.

Even changing it to a red font or something eye-catching that stands out would maybe help. Also is it possible to rename the patreon "Gaming Garbage/SA" so it's more obvious it's dual purpose when people visit it?

Here's a suggestion: make Platinum an annual $5 sub instead of a one-off $10. The people who buy plat are either heavy users who want the extra features or dedicated users who want to throw a little extra cash SA's way. It's a model that works for MMOs, and since SA is the Notepad MMO (complete with 13 year old edgelords and weedlords in the General chat) it wouldn't seem unfitting.

An interesting alternative would be to make plat a $10 sub instead of $5, but have it include a slot for a self-selected avatar that overwrites your regular av. So if you bought plat you'd get a free av for as long as you stayed subbed, and you would be immune to malicious changes.

(One change I would like to see if SA did go to a sub model is a method of payment other than card. As a UKian, I get charged a fee by my bank every time I make a payment in dollars. Being able to pay by PayPal would be fee-free for the user.)

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hooooly poo poo, shipping to australia for a city name sports team shirt is $80.00 wtf

is that because of our new GST rules or something? am i getting hosed by gerry harvey?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

It's just a generic catch-all account so I wouldn't have to make three different ones.
Too much effort or what? I think more people might give money specifically to a forums Patreon. I really have no interest in those other things the "catch-all" encompasses.

Lowtax posted:

Okay, the only reason I added it was because people have been asking for it for over a decade now. Chill out, nothing is permanent.
:psyduck: Who were these people? I'm sure there's a browser plugin they could have just used. Implementing something like that just seems like a lame way of trying to get more page views, I'm glad you removed it.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 16, 2018

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can we get a third up arrow? Perhaps have it move around a little to make it a challenge to nab it. Or better yet, have it be placed right above or below the Log Out link to help provide useful life guidance.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Aardark posted:

Implementing something like that just seems like a lame way of trying to get more page views, I'm glad you removed it.
That's really the last thing I need... average page view consumption per user is over 30.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

It reminds me more of how twitter and facebook works than a traditional forum.

please don't

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I added a link to buy merchandise up top right. I'll try to fit in a Patreon link, but I'm still trying to figure out how to write a CSS class that scales down the text in that element when the user's window is too small to hold all the links.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Lowtax posted:

I changed it to 30 seconds, and I'll work on fixing it so it doesn't have to reload cached stuff. I have also added a sharing icon to the top right of the first post, so you can send threads to your friends / enemies on other social media platforms.

Can't wait for all my relatives to read my posts in the It Owns To Use Your rear end To poo poo Turds MEGATHREAD

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 16, 2018

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Also I've been tweaking a lot of the cache settings, and I think I found a way to decrease the average page load time by 70%. Let me know if you guys are seeing a notable increase in speed / loading time.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
i havent really noticed on the PC, but browsing on my phone feels a bit quicker especially in image heavy threads.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Wouldnt the twitter thing be good to get more exposure?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Lowtax posted:

I added a link to buy merchandise up top right. I'll try to fit in a Patreon link, but I'm still trying to figure out how to write a CSS class that scales down the text in that element when the user's window is too small to hold all the links.

Font locks are what you need if I'm understanding you: https://css-tricks.com/math-css-locks/

Edit: also I think it looks ok to break to 2 lines, which is what it does on my screen. :shrug:

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 16, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Piggy Smalls posted:

Wouldnt the twitter thing be good to get more exposure?

depends how much is locked behind the paywall

following a link only to get a "register to see" notification, is dumb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How about a button that links to the trans section of Chaturbate?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what are the updates to make SA GDPR compliant?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lone Goat posted:

ok how do i turn off this bookmarks auto refresh thing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

what are the updates to make SA GDPR compliant?

It already is, and he can make a case for having a legitimate business usecase for keeping the small amount of customer data that he does to track down permaban reregs

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm a big fan of https://www.discourse.org but it's radically different in look and feel. It reminds me more of how twitter and facebook works than a traditional forum.
It has all those neat live update functions though and feels very modern, you can see when someone is writing a bad post and it will pop up at the bottom without having to refresh anything. It could be a fun experiment to move a single subforum over to a different engine to see how people like it.

It supports SSO so you could probably just make it piggyback on top of the existing forum login if you tell one of the yospos nerds to write a small sso provider for SAVB
https://meta.discourse.org/t/official-single-sign-on-for-discourse-sso/13045

I dont think yospos goons will agree to work with anything made by Jeff Fatwood of Snack Overflow

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

mike12345 posted:

depends how much is locked behind the paywall

following a link only to get a "register to see" notification, is dumb

Wouldnt it be better to just open the forums to view? It may get someone excited enough to want to post and have to pay to do it or angry enough to want to post and pay to do it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i dont like the back to the top button, clicking it accidentally means you get a ride you don't want and can't stop

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teikanmi posted:

i dont like the back to the top button
Which one?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It already is, and he can make a case for having a legitimate business usecase for keeping the small amount of customer data that he does to track down permaban reregs

But SA tries to place 6 trackers that i haven't explicitely opted in to, i've seen no screen declaring these partners.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hirayuki posted:

Which one?

bottom right corner of the page

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lowtax posted:

Also I've been tweaking a lot of the cache settings, and I think I found a way to decrease the average page load time by 70%. Let me know if you guys are seeing a notable increase in speed / loading time.

Seems pretty snappy so far, anecdotally.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teikanmi posted:

bottom right corner of the page

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Let anyone browse GBS. I could understand the other forums but GBS should be wide open to view

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Was pretty easy in uBlock Origin to remove the new features so you'll get no complaints from me.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Was pretty easy in uBlock Origin to remove the new features so you'll get no complaints from me.

Okay, I'm just going to remove that then. Also I'll remove the auto refresh since nobody seems to like either.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

i dont like the back to the top button, clicking it accidentally means you get a ride you don't want and can't stop

:laffo: holy poo poo you were right, it takes more than 30 seconds to scroll up a long page like a Let's Play for example https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852351&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

fe: Oh and it's suddenly gone. Thanks Lowtax! I actually liked the auto refresh on bookmarks page but I agree it could be implemented in a cleaner way if you had a programmer to do some AJAX

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TalkLittle posted:

fe: Oh and [the big arrow]'s suddenly gone. Thanks Lowtax!
Yes, thank you, Lowtax!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Hirayuki posted:

Yes, thank you, Lowtax!
Not a problem, I was just trying to add features that people asked for in the past, but I guess they aren't wanted anymore, so it's no skin off my penis to remove them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm sad my friend the arrow is gone. I'm old and I liked the leisurely stroll back through the posts of old.

• Locked thread