Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IIRC it's also an estus speed breakpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's not like levels in DS2 are hard to come by, anyway. In other Soulsborne games level 100 is endgame territory for NG; in DS2 level 100 is appropriate for the midgame when you first reach Drangleic Castle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

NGDBSS posted:

It's not like levels in DS2 are hard to come by, anyway. In other Soulsborne games level 100 is endgame territory for NG; in DS2 level 100 is appropriate for the midgame when you first reach Drangleic Castle.

I’m not saying it’s arduous to get, it’s just weird, bordering on pointless.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

skasion posted:

I’m not saying it’s arduous to get, it’s just weird, bordering on pointless.
I was responding more to the sentiment that it was arduous, but you're right that it is still weird. Ideally From would stop putting in weird options like Luck/Adaptability/Resistance for which there is no use that is both obvious and correct in their next game, but until then we're stuck warning people about this or that oddball mechanic because of Miyazaki. (Of course Miyazaki himself wasn't much involved with DS2 but his general design ethos was.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'd say luck is pretty obvious and it does exactly what it says in both games it's in. Most players will instantly and correctly interpret that this isn't a stat you increase unless you really know what you're doing and have a build in mind.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any tips for the smelter demon in the DLC?

I think he is pretty easy but the run up to him is hard I keep dying. I am going through the shortcut where you pull the levers but it is 50/50 each time if I get through.

The only attack that is annoying is the downward slash he does because it has insane tracking on it but I notice if you dodge right into him it dodges it everytime. Also what is the thing where he like stabs himself and gets blue flames on his sword. Is that just a buffing thing and can you interrupt it? The first smelter demon fight was ruined for me by a sunbro who like 4 shot him. I didn't realize the boss was so close.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Morality_Police posted:

Credit to the complainers, they ARE right about the stat system, I am having a little trouble figuring out what buffs what.

If you go to the status screen you can highlight any of the stats to see what they do. When you level up, it will show you which derived stats are affected by the levelable stats (iirc a dark outline over them), which ones are increasing with that level up (blue #s), and how much they're increasing by.

One of the unusual aspects of DS2 is that scaling on your weapons and spell tools is based on derived stats (the ATK stats), and then scaling rates from that weapon are multiplied by the relevant ATK stat to determine the scaling bonus. It's not a function of the weapon's base damage the way it is in the other games. There's some more complicated stuff regarding on/off element infusion and how that affects scaling rates as well, and str scaling tends to produce higher numbers to offset dex weapons having higher DPS due to the nature of their movesets. Spell power scaling works just like regular weapon scaling, with the spell power being calculated from the catalyst's AR in the element of the spell being cast. This allows for catalysts to be pushed in the direction of certain elements over others via infusions, multi-school casting implements, and weapons that serve as catalysts getting improvements to both aspects as you reinforce them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

I was responding more to the sentiment that it was arduous, but you're right that it is still weird. Ideally From would stop putting in weird options like Luck/Adaptability/Resistance for which there is no use that is both obvious and correct in their next game, but until then we're stuck warning people about this or that oddball mechanic because of Miyazaki. (Of course Miyazaki himself wasn't much involved with DS2 but his general design ethos was.)

Don't worry, they fixed that problem in their next game. It doesn't have any stats :haw:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ulio posted:

I think he is pretty easy but the run up to him is hard I keep dying. I am going through the shortcut where you pull the levers but it is 50/50 each time if I get through.

The only attack that is annoying is the downward slash he does because it has insane tracking on it but I notice if you dodge right into him it dodges it everytime. Also what is the thing where he like stabs himself and gets blue flames on his sword. Is that just a buffing thing and can you interrupt it? The first smelter demon fight was ruined for me by a sunbro who like 4 shot him. I didn't realize the boss was so close.

He's the only boss in all 3 dlc packs that can reliably be poisoned. It actually deals fairly decent tick damage against him, too.

Alternatively don't bother with the gank squad, blue smelter, or twin tigers because there's no good reason to do any of them.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

^^The gank squad is a white-knuckle terror of a fight and I love it for that. Also the DLC Smelter Demon guards the Pharros Mask, real good for additional fire protection against NG+ regular Smelter Demon or the Ancient Dragon. Twin tigers are skippable, though, I'll grant you that.

Ulio posted:

Stack magic resistance from anything you can get, including (Great) Magic Barrier. Not only will it help you against the aura at 3/4 health, but it will hilariously blunt the gut-stabbing buff that puts blue flame on his sword. The way that buff works (and this is true for regular Smelter Demon as well except with fire instead of magic) is that it doesn't add magic damage to his attacks, but rather changes all physical damage into magic damage. Which is a lot easier to stop once you're paying attention, since resistance to status effects and elemental damage gives you a percentage of "damage" blocked while resistance to physical damage just reduces it by so many points in an additive fashion. In the former case, that value is ([Defense] + 100) / 1000, so the effective cap on elemental damage resistance is 890 -> 990/1000 = 99% of damage blocked. (For status effects you can hit true immunity, but for damage the game forces you to suffer chip wounds.)

Also yes Iron Passage is plenty dumb. It's not half as long as Frigid Outskirts, but unfortunately you can't just run by everything as in Cave of the Dead. You may want to summon the NPC phantoms just as meatshields to get you through and then Black Crystal them out before the fog door, but keep in mind that they will take the enemy-infested path over the track-and-field path. And apparently Soul Appease will blast the Ashen Warriors through the doors? If you're already working with Faith then it can't hurt to try.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

^^The gank squad is a white-knuckle terror of a fight and I love it for that. Also the DLC Smelter Demon guards the Pharros Mask, real good for additional fire protection against NG+ regular Smelter Demon or the Ancient Dragon. Twin tigers are skippable, though, I'll grant you that.
Stack magic resistance from anything you can get, including (Great) Magic Barrier. Not only will it help you against the aura at 3/4 health, but it will hilariously blunt the gut-stabbing buff that puts blue flame on his sword. The way that buff works (and this is true for regular Smelter Demon as well except with fire instead of magic) is that it doesn't add magic damage to his attacks, but rather changes all physical damage into magic damage. Which is a lot easier to stop once you're paying attention, since resistance to status effects and elemental damage gives you a percentage of "damage" blocked while resistance to physical damage just reduces it by so many points in an additive fashion. In the former case, that value is ([Defense] + 100) / 1000, so the effective cap on elemental damage resistance is 890 -> 990/1000 = 99% of damage blocked. (For status effects you can hit true immunity, but for damage the game forces you to suffer chip wounds.)

Also yes Iron Passage is plenty dumb. It's not half as long as Frigid Outskirts, but unfortunately you can't just run by everything as in Cave of the Dead. You may want to summon the NPC phantoms just as meatshields to get you through and then Black Crystal them out before the fog door, but keep in mind that they will take the enemy-infested path over the track-and-field path. And apparently Soul Appease will blast the Ashen Warriors through the doors? If you're already working with Faith then it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ya I haven't been human so I haven't bothered with summoning anything but it might make the regular path easier instead of playing archery simulator.

I might wear or use magic defensive buffs if I can. But I am mostly gonna use the roll for defense. I feel like he is pretty straightforward but I have made it to him maybe 5 times and die like 10 times before reaching the white fog.

Anyway loving the dlc so much. It is a lot harder than the base game and levels/enemies are better designed. I knew it was gonna be good but not this good. Fromsoft dlcs are truly amazing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NGDBSS posted:

you can't just run by everything as in Cave of the Dead.

No, you absolutely can. Every once in a while you might get caught by a stray lightning projectile from the mages, but it's quite possible to consistently run through without fighting anything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NGDBSS posted:

The gank squad is a white-knuckle terror of a fight and I love it for that. Also the DLC Smelter Demon guards the Pharros Mask, real good for additional fire protection against NG+ regular Smelter Demon or the Ancient Dragon. Twin tigers are skippable, though, I'll grant you that.

I struggled to beat the regular Smelter Demon, even with the help of phantoms, so I can't imagine how tough the blue one is. The two tigers I've heard are a major pain to fight.

Morality_Police posted:

I'm about a dozen hours into SotFS, and I am pretty sure this is my favorite Souls game now. :ohdear: Only been invaded twice so far, and both were hackers who one-shot me/cursed me/broke all my gear, but aside from that, I am seriously digging this.

I've encountered a few invaders, though I've been lucky enough not to have any that were cheating as far as I can tell. I ran into the same invader twice while going through Aldia's Keep during my most recent session. I wasn't able to beat them in either instance, though. The first fight wasn't too great, and I ended up dying while trying to retreat. I didn't die on the second encounter, but rather they just dropped out (either there was something wrong with the connection, they timed out, or they just got tired). The fight was pretty drawn out. They were using Warmth (I assume) to heal themselves, but I picked up on the fact that it will also heal you if you get into the vicinity. It got to the point where most of my armor was broken, so I just sort of gave up and surrendered. However, they gave me time to change gear, so that was pretty nice of them.

I compiled a video of the two fights if anyone's interested in watching. I edited in some music to make it seem more exciting than it actually is.

Morality_Police posted:

People talked a lot of poo poo about DS2 when it came out, and I don't get why. Did SotFS clean up a bunch of stuff or what??

I didn't take to DS2 when I first started playing it, but I've come around on it. I still don't like it as much as DS1, but from the little I've seen of DS3, DS2 seems like it tried experimenting a bit.

Scholar of the First Sin I've been told revamps some areas in terms of enemy placement. I didn't play the original DS2, so I don't really know how it differs. If you new to it, Scholar is fine, but I think people who bought DS2 originally were upset that Scholar required a separate purchase.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 14, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My God, I did it, I got a smart host.

First I gained his trust by showing him the hidden Bonfire in Earthen Peak, in front of which I had put my sign. Then he complied to open the next illusory wall; then I told him not to go into the poison he had not drained. He obediently followed me back (all enemies were dead because he didn't know about the Bonfire, so they had been on his way!), I showed him the third illusory wall, he was so grateful. Then I lit the Torch, got him to do it as well, and he burned the windmill.

Now I feel like I've truly won at Dark Souls 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still stuck at blue smelter. I am using a magic ring for some defense but mostly relying on rolls.

I see in the wiki it says he is weak to dark but when I go to felkin he doesn't talk to me so I can't buy dark resin from him. Do you have to complete dark chasm missions to be able to buy from him?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ulio posted:

Still stuck at blue smelter. I am using a magic ring for some defense but mostly relying on rolls.

I see in the wiki it says he is weak to dark but when I go to felkin he doesn't talk to me so I can't buy dark resin from him. Do you have to complete dark chasm missions to be able to buy from him?

Do you have 8 FTH and 8 INT? If not, he won't train you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sup skeletons, I just started DS2 for the first time last night. Got as far as Majula cuz I just wanted to dip my toe and it was super late. First impressions so far:

• Intro was pretty cool
  • Movement feels both smoother and clumsier at the same time, somehow. I think it's the deadzone issue I've seen mentioned here and there.
  • Wow does the game completely kill its own momentum and mystique. Things Betwixt was kinda neat and atmospheric, then I got to this hut with a bunch of crones cackling at me which I don't mind, but I very much mind that they took forever to do what was basically a bookend to character creation. Stop fuckin cackling at the fact I'm gonna die a bunch and let me go die a bunch already
  • In fact, I've barely even started this game and it's extremely noticeably more cutscene-heavy than the first one. I'm not too thrilled about that, part of what I loved about DS1 was how much story it told with almost no cutscenes or freezing you in place to belch exposition. But from what I understand of the series, this is just part of it now, so I'll deal with it. It was just annoying to notice.
  • Majula is really cool. I dunno why I like it so much but the environment has so much character and a feel of ancient history to it that it's probably one of my favorite-looking/feeling locations in the games so far.
  • How have I gotten to two bonfires and haven't encountered a single challenge yet. I remember dying to one of the very first DS1 hollows the first time I played because I hadn't learned respect for the game yet and was moving through it like any other third person action RPG. I went from casually jogging to carefully creeping forward with my guard up always. DS2 has been the opposite--carefully creeping through the first few rooms, but now I'm just jogging around looking for the next objective.

All in all a weirdly mixed beginning but I'm super excited nonetheless. Can't wait to see what this game brings.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I really liked your bossfight videos for DS1 and your impressions of the game, so I'm quite happy that you're continuing here with the sequel! Do you want to hear some common tips that the DS2 fans usually give new people, or are you more into having your experience be as blind as possible?

As for your points:
- there will be less cutscenes
- movement will always feel a little clumsy, I think it has more to do with the animations being motion-captured though. Like you have to extend a foot backwards for balance sometimes, get up by pushing with your arms, turn around with a little footwork and so on. You'll get used to it.
- Majula is wonderful, I think even DS2 naysayers agree on that.
- the beginning of DS2 is infamously rough especially without any advice, so you'll get your challenge soon enough!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I also started DS2 last night, but not for the first time. It's been a couple years though, and most of my memories of playing are not from SotFS.

My number one impression is that you start off deficient in pretty much every sense. You don't just start with base stats, you start out with complete trash stats. The first hour of the game is a tedious slog of getting stun-locked to death by Hollows and doing no damage. The game doesn't really start to open up until a couple of bosses in and you can start to pump your stats. And holy poo poo does Adaptability (raising AGI stat) make a huge difference in being able to dodge attacks. I think I neglected that stat in my previous playthroughs, not realizing how important it is. I just hit 96 AGI and I finally feel like I can dodge the same way as in Dark Souls 1.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

I really liked your bossfight videos for DS1 and your impressions of the game, so I'm quite happy that you're continuing here with the sequel! Do you want to hear some common tips that the DS2 fans usually give new people, or are you more into having your experience be as blind as possible?

Thanks! Also for the info :) And I'm down for some common/general tips, but I do still want to experience any surprises the game has in store for me

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks! Also for the info :) And I'm down for some common/general tips, but I do still want to experience any surprises the game has in store for me
You just read the most common tip: don't neglect Adaptability. Getting your Agility to 96 is a huge boon to make rolls far better, something the game never explains.

A thing to try out once your stats get higher: Powerstancing! You need a weapon in both of your hands, and you need to have 1.5x the Strength and Dexterity needed for both of them (e.g. if one needs 10/10 and one needs 8/12, you need 15/18 before you can powerstance them). The weapons should be somewhat similar in size/model. Hold down the two-hand button. If it worked, your character will raise their hands a little. Press L1 and L2 for fun surprises.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

You just read the most common tip: don't neglect Adaptability. Getting your Agility to 96 is a huge boon to make rolls far better, something the game never explains.

A thing to try out once your stats get higher: Powerstancing! You need a weapon in both of your hands, and you need to have 1.5x the Strength and Dexterity needed for both of them (e.g. if one needs 10/10 and one needs 8/12, you need 15/18 before you can powerstance them). The weapons should be somewhat similar in size/model. Hold down the two-hand button. If it worked, your character will raise their hands a little. Press L1 and L2 for fun surprises.

:unsmigghh: I picked Swordsman as my starting class because dual-wielding sounded tempting as gently caress. I'm stoked that my decision has been validated so hard

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Another thats not super important but useful thing is equip load %. Try keeping it at 50% since it affects your endurance regen. After 50% you start getting big hits to it. It also affects dodge distance so being able to dodge long ways can be useful too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

• How have I gotten to two bonfires and haven't encountered a single challenge yet.

Because you've gone through DS1 and are used to its mechanics and general level design (re: you gotta look around every corner for a jump scare). DS2's initial difficulty is relatively low-key compared to DS3's, since DS1 was more of a cult classic and DS2 was banking on that success to draw in a larger audience that hadn't played the first yet. The difficulty starts picking up after the initial two opening areas (Forest of Fallen Giants and Heide's Ruins).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

:unsmigghh: I picked Swordsman as my starting class because dual-wielding sounded tempting as gently caress. I'm stoked that my decision has been validated so hard
Swordsman can't powerstance his starting weapons so that's kind of an...odd decision on the developers' part. If you replace the Scimitar with e.g. another Shortsword (there's one to be found fairly early on), you only need two more points in Strength to try it out.

Iretep posted:

Another thats not super important but useful thing is equip load %. Try keeping it at 50% since it affects your endurance regen. After 50% you start getting big hits to it. It also affects dodge distance so being able to dodge long ways can be useful too.
I have never gone below 69.9% (the sole "normal"/fatroll breakpoint in DS2, btw) and that has also never been much of a problem.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Swordsman does start with +1 weapons though which is very nice for the first boss or so.

e: I have gone over a list of all DS bosses and I have decided that DS2 has the most best, which is perhaps unfair since it also has the most in general.

My votes -- new guy dont look:

quelaag
o&s
gaping dragon
gwyn
butterfly
sif
arty

last giant
pursuer
dragonslayer
ruin sentinels
siunner
skelly lords
executioner's chariot
scorpioness najka
looking glass knight
velstadt
vendrick & giant lord
throne of want gamut
fume knight
alonne
burnt ivory king

gundyr
greatwood
wolnir
yhorm
aldrich
gundyr 2
nameless king
soul of cinder

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2018

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Swordsman can't powerstance his starting weapons so that's kind of an...odd decision on the developers' part. If you replace the Scimitar with e.g. another Shortsword (there's one to be found fairly early on), you only need two more points in Strength to try it out.

I have never gone below 69.9% (the sole "normal"/fatroll breakpoint in DS2, btw) and that has also never been much of a problem.

It makes certain attacks easier to dodge if you can dodge a longer distance. Thats about it. Like i said, it doesent come up super often but in a few situations you might want to roll a longer distance.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Iretep posted:

It makes certain attacks easier to dodge if you can dodge a longer distance. Thats about it. Like i said, it doesent come up super often but in a few situations you might want to roll a longer distance.
Less fashion choice is unacceptable, and I'm super into heavy armor. And weapons.

why does everything cool weigh so much

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Do you have 8 FTH and 8 INT? If not, he won't train you.

Ya I don't have that. I need to level up I guess.

Still loving stuck on Blue Smelter Demon. I am starting to get him really low. I actually had him almost 20% hp before he even did his powerup. I think if I get the dark resin I will probably be able to burst him down. The loving tracking on some DS2 attacks is so annoying.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ulio posted:

Ya I don't have that. I need to level up I guess.

Still loving stuck on Blue Smelter Demon. I am starting to get him really low. I actually had him almost 20% hp before he even did his powerup. I think if I get the dark resin I will probably be able to burst him down. The loving tracking on some DS2 attacks is so annoying.

Yeah, you can't rely on either Smelter Demon missing you if you anticipate-roll their attacks. You gotta wait for the actual tell for the attack starting and dodge as it's coming down.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

My beginner advice:
Do a lot of poking around in Majula, there's a good amount of secret poo poo hidden there.
The "intended" route is down from the bonfire, but the whole game is more loose in structure, so feel free to poke along in any direction you find.
Weapon degradation happens way faster now, but resets at bonfires.
You can get hurt a lot more, but you've also got a lot more healing items.
Instead of whacking them with a weapon, hidden walls now are activated by walking into them while pressing A. No, I don't know why, except for KIGNS FEILD!!!!!!
Curse and petrify are two different things now. Curse increases your hollowing, petrify is DS1-style instant death.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, you can't rely on either Smelter Demon missing you if you anticipate-roll their attacks. You gotta wait for the actual tell for the attack starting and dodge as it's coming down.

It's kinda hard to tell how fast the attack is with the camera but ya I am trying to last minute dodge. It is really last minute or it hits no matter what.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sup skeletons, I just started DS2 for the first time last night. Got as far as Majula cuz I just wanted to dip my toe and it was super late. First impressions so far:

• Wow does the game completely kill its own momentum and mystique. Things Betwixt was kinda neat and atmospheric, then I got to this hut with a bunch of crones cackling at me which I don't mind, but I very much mind that they took forever to do what was basically a bookend to character creation. Stop fuckin cackling at the fact I'm gonna die a bunch and let me go die a bunch already
  • Majula is really cool. I dunno why I like it so much but the environment has so much character and a feel of ancient history to it that it's probably one of my favorite-looking/feeling locations in the games so far.

I was also kind of annoyed with Things Betwixt witches laughing at you and going, "Oh, you'll die and lose your souls over and over again!" It's like it's hitting you over the head with the game's concept. Yeah, I know you die a lot in these games; I played the first one. The characters don't need to bring it up in dialog. :nallears:

However, I also really like Majula, and while I might get hate for it, I think it's a much better hub than Firelink Shrine. Compared to something like The Nexus or The Hunter's Dream, it actually feels like a little refuge, and it's fun to see it get populated with NPCs as you meet them on your adventure. I'm not saying that Firelink Shrine is bad, but it felt like it lacked that separation from danger that other hubs did (mind you, I haven't played DS3 yet, so I don't know what that's like). Then again, the one thing I like about DS1 that none of the other games did was allow you to level up at any bonfire.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I was also kind of annoyed with Things Betwixt witches laughing at you and going, "Oh, you'll die and lose your souls over and over again!" It's like it's hitting you over the head with the game's concept. Yeah, I know you die a lot in these games; I played the first one. The characters don't need to bring it up in dialog. :nallears:

Even though it is a bit of a meta joke, it's much more that the central theme of the whole game is about losing yourself/your memories to the curse. The opening cutscene talks about it, almost every NPC talks about it, and so on all the way to Vendrick, so lost in the curse that he does nothing but wander in circles for eternity.

In my opinion, Dark Souls 2 has the best NPC cast of the series, even without a Sieg.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 17, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So yeah. I'm at Heide's Tower of Flame, been trying to get past the second enemy (with the gigantic metal club/mace thing for at least a dozen and a half attempts or so. It feels like I have to re-learn everything about movement and combat. Also, I'd seen people post about the "enemies on turntables" thing but now I see it for myself and it's kinda bullshit.

Ah well, just gotta git gud.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Those mace guys are serious loving assholes, don't feel bad for getting clowned on at first. It helps to internalize the turntable: roll just a bit later than you think you should, because then he's finally committed. Alternative, if you have a shield to not eat poo poo for every time you try it: a lot of overhead swing attacks can be dodged by just walking sideways - their turning speed isn't quick enough/they are locked into a position early enough that you can stroll away. It's crazy how little you actually have to roll once you get used to their moves/range.

Which weapon are you using? Have you tried going another way than Heide?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simply Simon posted:

Alternative, if you have a shield to not eat poo poo for every time you try it: a lot of overhead swing attacks can be dodged by just walking sideways - their turning speed isn't quick enough/they are locked into a position early enough that you can stroll away. It's crazy how little you actually have to roll once you get used to their moves/range.

The mace hits do surprisingly little stamina damage, so just shield-tanking that guy is a perfectly valid strategy. And the straight sword versions don't need to be rolled at all, you just walk in to bait an attack, back off slightly, circle to your left and in, make sure they're not doing the follow-up stab, then get a couple hits in.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

The mace hits do surprisingly little stamina damage, so just shield-tanking that guy is a perfectly valid strategy. And the straight sword versions don't need to be rolled at all, you just walk in to bait an attack, back off slightly, circle to your left and in, make sure they're not doing the follow-up stab, then get a couple hits in.
Pro strat: walk around the straight sword knights for their first attack, hit them, roll the second, hit them, back off, check if it's sweep or overhead; if overhead, you can get another hit in. After sweep, they might have a fourth hit, it's rare.

I fought way too many Old Knights.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Make sure you're using a blunt weapon like the club or mace. It'll do about twice as much damage.

do this for the whole game against armored fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Those mace guys are serious loving assholes, don't feel bad for getting clowned on at first. It helps to internalize the turntable: roll just a bit later than you think you should, because then he's finally committed.
Thanks! I'll try this tactic out. And that first armored guy with the sword has been super easy, haven't died to him once, which makes his mace-wielding friend that much more aggravating

quote:

Which weapon are you using? Have you tried going another way than Heide?
1. Swordsman starting weapons
2. Heide is the only path out of Majula I've found so far. I actually wasn't sure if there WAS any other path out of there. Based on your question though I'm gonna creep around Majula some more and examine it more carefully.

I just finished all of Witcher 3 + DLCs, so I need to readjust my gameplay habits again lol. No Witcher vision to help me here!

Bogart posted:

Make sure you're using a blunt weapon like the club or mace. It'll do about twice as much damage.

do this for the whole game against armored fuckers
Thanks! I'll try this once I find a club or mace. Can I powerstance clubs/maces?