Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

food court bailiff posted:

the only one that's actually a term in the game is fal'cie

the game also mentions l'cie

both are fully explained

two words and people ~~lost their minds~~

Theres Cieth too, thats 50% more words than you said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a unpopular opinion: When FF7 came out I turned my nose up and laughed because Fallout and Ultima were far, far superior RPGs (Well until EA poo poo the bed with 8-9). I also grew up on Gold Box games and Bard's Tale.

Final Fantasy felt like an RPG for babies when I tried it comparatively.

Is it only popular as a franchise because consoles were desperate for a playable RPG? Is it basically Halo?

ED: To be honest I'd put any 80s Gold Box game, esp. the XXV games as heads and shoulders above the Nintendo era FFs.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

FF13 wasn't bad because it was mostly tutorial, it was bad because it was 99% made up nonsense nouns and verbs.

After like 30 hours I realized I didn't know who the Fal'cie going to the Kre'nah were or why the Fremulons hated the Franbulons and needed a Gersore Finlow to Rebloon the Mergacarpals

FF13: I've heard of corridor on rails light gun shooters before but never an RPG until that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
yes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

The only Final Fantasy I have is that they stop making these awful Final Fantasy games and other JRPGs.

Good idea. Imagine if they teamed up with From soft to make platformers with Souls gameplay.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As long as it means eliminating these abominations one by one...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nope, soon Ubisoft and EA will see how much money they make and those will be the only games ever

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know about other realtime final fantasy games but FFX-2 and FF12 blew rear end. having to hurry through menus while combat is going on is not fun.

FFX is probably the best game on the PS2 though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
FF7 was a groundbreaking game though. I'm told that it was shocking that they actually killed off a major character in a JRPG. Wow

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

signalnoise posted:

FF7 was a groundbreaking game though. I'm told that it was shocking that they actually killed off a major character in a JRPG. Wow

It also had neat movies to watch between units of gameplay

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

signalnoise posted:

uh, spoilers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I really like that one FF with Bartz and Faris and Galuf and the girl character

to me that's classic FF

FF5 is indeed really good.

If you liked it you might like Bravely Default on the 3DS, which has the same job system and general tone but with a slightly different battle system that involves storing up bonus turns to use in a big burst later. Although instead of unlocking new jobs by finding crystals, you unlock them by beating up a side-villain who has that job.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Harrow posted:

FF5 is indeed really good.

If you liked it you might like Bravely Default on the 3DS, which has the same job system and general tone but with a slightly different battle system that involves storing up bonus turns to use in a big burst later. Although instead of unlocking new jobs by finding crystals, you unlock them by beating up a side-villain who has that job.

I also liked Bravely Default but stopped playing once the game "restarted"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I also liked Bravely Default but stopped playing once the game "restarted"

Ah yeah that's fair

I just turned off random encounters completely and enjoyed all the boss refights at that point. They get pretty fun after a couple loops because they bosses start teaming up, eventually forming full parties of four that can be tricky to deal with

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sardonik posted:

I don't know about other realtime final fantasy games but FFX-2 and FF12 blew rear end. having to hurry through menus while combat is going on is not fun.

FFX is probably the best game on the PS2 though.

X-2 ios probably one of the best FF games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I only played up to XII, but of that Final Fantasy VII was the best Final Fantasy by far.

I also didn't care too much about Final Fantasy VI.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dunno if unpopular but Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a legit good game, just finished the remaster, never played it before.

The newer ones are weak af compared to this one

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

all of these jrpgs are bad and dumb. there has only been one good one and it's called pocket monsters

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I think MGS3 is the only well told video game story ever written

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RTS is a boring genre. Only worse genre are MOBAs.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

:same:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Meme Emulator posted:

this is the unpopular opinions thread

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

punk rebel ecks posted:

RTS is a boring genre. Only worse genre are MOBAs.

Yeah, but people can turn it into fun anyways aka wc3.

Probably not an unpopular opinion though. They seem to have a small die hard audience. See blizzard branching out into other stuff and every other big rts company having gone under decades ago.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
MegaMan 7 has the best music and graphics of the series.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Far Cry 4 is actually the best Far Cry game and every top ten list putting Far Cry 3 at the top is crazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Far Cry 4 is actually the best Far Cry game and every top ten list putting Far Cry 3 at the top is crazy.

I don't know why anyone would rank Far Cry 3 over 4. Far Cry 4's whole thing is "everything Far Cry 3 did, but better, and there are elephants."

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil and anyone who even mentions 4 is cucked by FPS games

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil and anyone who even mentions 4 is cucked by FPS games

Resident Evil 3 is the best because Jill is wearing a tube top

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Meme Emulator posted:

Resident Evil 3 is the best because Jill is wearing a tube top

gently caress

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mechanically the best Resident Evil is 5.

For all other purposes 3 is the best.

4 is really really good but doesn't stand out to me in any appreciable way other than maybe sheer length and how Leon becomes Dante-lite.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Vanillaware games have good gameplay.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Twelve Batmans posted:

Mechanically the best Resident Evil is 5.

For all other purposes 3 is the best.

4 is really really good but doesn't stand out to me in any appreciable way other than maybe sheer length and how Leon becomes Dante-lite.

Five was definitely the best. Game play was fun, co-op, and a hot African girl you can put in a bikini with a bow that was practically a rocket launcher in power. Also, CHRISSSSSSSSSSSS boulder punching to stop complete global saturation.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Vanillaware games have good gameplay.

They do but their games are often bogged down by lots of grinding/crafting or backtracking.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ChazTurbo posted:

They do but their games are often bogged down by lots of grinding/crafting or backtracking.

I don't recall ever grinding in Odin Sphere PS4 or Muramasa. Backtracking is also good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Dunno if unpopular but Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a legit good game, just finished the remaster, never played it before.

Yeah, the original Cod mw is a legit classic.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MW definitely earned its reputation. loving game changer in 07 - probably the real start to that generation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The first Modern Warfare is like the Platonic ideal of a modern military shooter.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Let me explain why as someone who had an actual front row seat to this right before the poo poo hit the fan.

To back up, we must start at 2015, Inc. and Medal of Honor. You see, EA started squeezing blood from a stone and.. 2015 no longer was 2015, Inc. anymore because they left... to form a company called Infinity Ward.

Fast forward a few years and you have the new Infinity Ward butting heads with Activision, who wants to put a game out every year and is flailing about with Treyarch trying to make it happen. IW actually had to send people to Treyarch to whip them into shape and help them start to make competent games, instead of 2nd tier console ports.

Along the way, Activision decided they didn't want to pay the contracts (HUUUUGE amounts of money contracts) and royalties to the core of Infinity Ward and got a technician to start spying on them. (ED: I have my suspicions that the guy wasn't as much of a dick traitor as he seemed but I'll leave them off this post for reasons). This involved hacking their emails and trying to find anyway to get them out of the contract; scary point, Microsoft was extremely happy to help them break into private emails here.

This ultimately lead to the climax of a massive raid on Infinity Ward by Activision hired security that kicked everyone out of the building and went over the place like a crime scene trying to find that contract out, while firing the lead developers and the ones who kept the place together. Activision's behavior would make them lose this lawsuit HARD and go down in flames on the whole thing.

Now, finally, we get to Respawn. Maybe with this context, you'll understand the metajoke of the company being CALLED "Respawn." Because over the following year after the raid every single person of importance quit Infinity Ward, and the vast majority joined Respawn, which is really the old Infinity Ward, which is really 2015, Inc. I was laughing when I heard the new company name though I suspect very few people get it.

Meanwhile, "Infinity Ward" Kept like a couple sound guys and a producer at best was re-staffed with lesser employees from Treyarch; some of the interns there during the post MW2 era were allowed to stay, and not just allowed, but being showered in money and promotions to not quit by a desperate studio (Pre-MW3).

Thus Respawn is Infinity Ward and Infinity Ward is Treyarch and Treyarch is largely rebuilt. The "Infinity Ward" name is just a shell of what it was now, kept on by Activision so the general public won't realize that the place was gutted.

ED: EA beat the Medal of Honor horse until it was turned into glue after they left too. History repeats itself.

--

At this point I have to say EA just made the hilarious mistake of buying Respawn and everyone is predicting the death of the company. I agree, the end is coming for Respawn.. but history will repeat itself once more and they will just form company #4. At this point it's nearly trolling big publishers and I only have respect for that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Jesus gently caress that sounds illegal as all hell

And Activision still exists with all responsible out of jail?

Death to America

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Blighttown is one of the best areas in Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Let me explain why as someone who had an actual front row seat to this right before the poo poo hit the fan.

To back up, we must start at 2015, Inc. and Medal of Honor. You see, EA started squeezing blood from a stone and.. 2015 no longer was 2015, Inc. anymore because they left... to form a company called Infinity Ward.

Fast forward a few years and you have the new Infinity Ward butting heads with Activision, who wants to put a game out every year and is flailing about with Treyarch trying to make it happen. IW actually had to send people to Treyarch to whip them into shape and help them start to make competent games, instead of 2nd tier console ports.

Along the way, Activision decided they didn't want to pay the contracts (HUUUUGE amounts of money contracts) and royalties to the core of Infinity Ward and got a technician to start spying on them. (ED: I have my suspicions that the guy wasn't as much of a dick traitor as he seemed but I'll leave them off this post for reasons). This involved hacking their emails and trying to find anyway to get them out of the contract; scary point, Microsoft was extremely happy to help them break into private emails here.

This ultimately lead to the climax of a massive raid on Infinity Ward by Activision hired security that kicked everyone out of the building and went over the place like a crime scene trying to find that contract out, while firing the lead developers and the ones who kept the place together. Activision's behavior would make them lose this lawsuit HARD and go down in flames on the whole thing.

Now, finally, we get to Respawn. Maybe with this context, you'll understand the metajoke of the company being CALLED "Respawn." Because over the following year after the raid every single person of importance quit Infinity Ward, and the vast majority joined Respawn, which is really the old Infinity Ward, which is really 2015, Inc. I was laughing when I heard the new company name though I suspect very few people get it.

Meanwhile, "Infinity Ward" Kept like a couple sound guys and a producer at best was re-staffed with lesser employees from Treyarch; some of the interns there during the post MW2 era were allowed to stay, and not just allowed, but being showered in money and promotions to not quit by a desperate studio (Pre-MW3).

Thus Respawn is Infinity Ward and Infinity Ward is Treyarch and Treyarch is largely rebuilt. The "Infinity Ward" name is just a shell of what it was now, kept on by Activision so the general public won't realize that the place was gutted.

ED: EA beat the Medal of Honor horse until it was turned into glue after they left too. History repeats itself.

--

At this point I have to say EA just made the hilarious mistake of buying Respawn and everyone is predicting the death of the company. I agree, the end is coming for Respawn.. but history will repeat itself once more and they will just form company #4. At this point it's nearly trolling big publishers and I only have respect for that.

I never played the call of duty games at the time because they had a “game for Jock bros”, “lowest common denominator” reputation etc.

I sort of remember all this stuff in games press but very tangentially, I figured MW was great because of Raven being involved somehow? Their logo shows up at the beginning.

anyway, yeah, good game and I should’ve played it earlier