Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MDKII/status/1007601534144794625?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I actually found that review on Steam and the dude's avatar is a "WHITE PRIDE" t-shirt.

The world's gonna feel really bad when it turns out s/he's just a huge fan of Breaking Bad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I actually found that review on Steam and the dude's avatar is a "WHITE PRIDE" t-shirt.

The world's gonna feel really bad when it turns out s/he's just a huge fan of Breaking Bad.

what added context could possibly make this guy not a shithead?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The fact that he played 8.8 hours is really good

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BattleMaster posted:

what added context could possibly make this guy not a shithead?

It was just a joke about how Breaking Bad's main character is Walter White. :v: I'm not actually defending a "white pride" dude, jfc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream it was kind of weird/funny seeing so much Todd Howard at e3 this year. I actually didn't even know who he was before your posts, even though I had played Fallout 3 and some Scrolls. So he's a fictional character as far as I know. I think he was acting "normal" to fit in, but you can tell it's an act, he's an eccentric madman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

skasion posted:

The fact that he played 8.8 hours is really good

And he's undoubtedly 14 years old so it all checks out here

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thread is missing air buccaneers for unreal tournament.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Cream it was kind of weird/funny seeing so much Todd Howard at e3 this year. I actually didn't even know who he was before your posts, even though I had played Fallout 3 and some Scrolls. So he's a fictional character as far as I know. I think he was acting "normal" to fit in, but you can tell it's an act, he's an eccentric madman.

I believe (in my heart of hearts) that the design of TES's Wood Elves was cribbed straight from T. Howard's visage. I'm not really willing to accept temporal paradoxes ("Wah, T. Howard didn't even work for Bethesda when they started making TES games!" etc.) or anything else that might refute these feelings/beliefs. T. Howard is some kind of elf and if you don't believe me, just listen to him speak about literally anything. He's not a human being.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

With regards to RAGE: I'm a huge sucker for punchy sawed-off shotguns, and I was disappointed to discover that even if you buy everything RAGE-related on Steam, you still won't have access to the game's sawed-off or "Fists of Rage". You'd have to track down a physical copy of the game that had the bonus content, but it's doubly frustrating because the content is already in the game. It's just locked up behind a config file.

Fortunately, following method #2 in this guide, I figured out it only takes about 20 seconds to get them added back into the game with a simple .txt edit. The sawed-off is actually a pretty nicely balanced weapon: It discharges both barrels when fired, and has an unsurprisingly short effective range. Fortunately, it hits like few other things in the game when you hit something within that range. The result is that both shotguns remain useful for different applications--especially if you end up loading them with different ammo.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Thread is missing air buccaneers for unreal tournament.

I played this way back in high school, but only with a few friends because there were absolutely never any servers up with players.

It was super cool and a ton of fun flying around loving about with friends, but somehow the few modern games (including the standalone version of the mod) that try to do the same thing just do not capture the same magic at all. I can't really pin down why, though, other than maybe because they tend to make it quite a bit more complicated in terms of mechanics.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know but at least with OpenAL, I don't think that handles the 3D sound reflection quite like A3D did.

You should look up Steam Audio or similar technologies. I think most of Creative's patents related to this kind of tech ran out about a year ago, at which point several companies (including Valve) started releasing some very cool audio tech. Most games just haven't had time to integrate it yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I used to have an N64 but never got into either Golden Eye or Perfect Dark. And I loved FPSs at the time. These games never came out for PC did they? I don't have an N64 and can't imagine playing an FPS without at least dual sticks, but i'm interested in checking these games out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Goldeneye really needs a dorm room or similar living arrangement to properly enjoy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chaosapiant posted:

I used to have an N64 but never got into either Golden Eye or Perfect Dark. And I loved FPSs at the time. These games never came out for PC did they? I don't have an N64 and can't imagine playing an FPS without at least dual sticks, but i'm interested in checking these games out.

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Additionally, there's an excellent port/remaster of Perfect Dark for the Xbox 360 if you have one of those.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I always hate it when I neglect to check the thread, because then something happens, and there's like 500 posts for me to catch up on.

Anyway, I've been on a Warhammer kick as of late, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any of the Warhammer FPS games. There's Space Hulk in 1993, Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels in 1995, and Fire Warrior in 2003.

I don't know if the first one is really considered an FPS, since it looks like it based around grid movement. I've seen video of it, and tried playing it myself, but it seems clunky as all hell. Soon as you start, aliens come and rip you to shreds. Vengeance of the Blood Angels looks a little more conventional based on the clips I've seen of it. Fire Warrior I just found about the other day.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these games?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

I always hate it when I neglect to check the thread, because then something happens, and there's like 500 posts for me to catch up on.

Anyway, I've been on a Warhammer kick as of late, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any of the Warhammer FPS games. There's Space Hulk in 1993, Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels in 1995, and Fire Warrior in 2003.

I don't know if the first one is really considered an FPS, since it looks like it based around grid movement. I've seen video of it, and tried playing it myself, but it seems clunky as all hell. Soon as you start, aliens come and rip you to shreds. Vengeance of the Blood Angels looks a little more conventional based on the clips I've seen of it. Fire Warrior I just found about the other day.

Space Hulk '93 is definitely grid based. It's more of a tactical real time squad commander game rather than FPS. I remember it being really hard. The Genestealers are super fast and very deadly. I never got to play Vengeance. Fire Warrior plays like a super generic sci fi shooter. I don't think they even take advantage of any of the your player character's faction, the Tau, lore. I played through it and can't remember a single thing other than, "Yes, I played the Warhammer 40K FPS on Playstation 2"

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Quake Champions is free if you download it this weekend on Steam. I think it'll be free eventually anyway, but the early access fee is waived for the weekend, or something.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

With regards to RAGE: I'm a huge sucker for punchy sawed-off shotguns, and I was disappointed to discover that even if you buy everything RAGE-related on Steam, you still won't have access to the game's sawed-off or "Fists of Rage". You'd have to track down a physical copy of the game that had the bonus content, but it's doubly frustrating because the content is already in the game. It's just locked up behind a config file.

Fortunately, following method #2 in this guide, I figured out it only takes about 20 seconds to get them added back into the game with a simple .txt edit. The sawed-off is actually a pretty nicely balanced weapon: It discharges both barrels when fired, and has an unsurprisingly short effective range. Fortunately, it hits like few other things in the game when you hit something within that range. The result is that both shotguns remain useful for different applications--especially if you end up loading them with different ammo.

Yeah that was complete bullshit, especially how you got literally the best suit in the game as well.

Other Bethesda games do the preorder exclusive weapon thing as well and it's always bs. Evil Within 1&2 and Prey did it and it kinda screws up all of them by giving you some powerful poo poo right at the start.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Convex posted:

Yeah that was complete bullshit, especially how you got literally the best suit in the game as well.

Other Bethesda games do the preorder exclusive weapon thing as well and it's always bs. Evil Within 1&2 and Prey did it and it kinda screws up all of them by giving you some powerful poo poo right at the start.

I remember that Dishonored dumped a bunch of DLC items in your apartment-roost, but it wasn't immediately obvious which items were mission rewards and which were just DLC freebies. At least in that case, I figured out which items I had "earned" and ignored the others so it didn't screw with the game's balance.

Then Bioshock: Infinite does something similar at the start of the game, but doesn't let you leave the area until you pick up every single bonus item. And most of the items imbued you with permanent stat upgrades, so you couldn't even just drop or ignore them. :wtc:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Max Wilco posted:

I've played firewarrior

You do not want to play firewarrior

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

chaosapiant posted:

... Golden Eye or Perfect Dark. ...I don't have an N64 and can't imagine playing an FPS without at least dual sticks

I can't remember 100% about Golden Eye, but Perfect Dark on the N64 let's you use two controllers and two Amelia sticks. Pretty good controller configuration options, as I remember.

I forget if Doom 64 allowed two controllers as well

Max Wilco posted:

Space Hulk in 1993, Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels in 1995, and Fire Warrior in 2003...

I don't know if the first one is really considered an FPS, since it looks like it based around grid movement... Vengeance of the Blood Angels looks a little more conventional based on the clips I've seen of it.
I've played Vengeance on the PlayStation, Saturn, and 3DO, and it's not really an FPS. You can walk around in first person and shoot, but you are supposed to position your team and let them hold corridors and you can jump between Marines for direct control.

It switches to a prerendred QTE that look pretty slick when the genestealers get too close.

The game sticks close to how the board game plays, rather than being an action game. It was actually disappointing to me to play it after seeing it in stores and magazines as a kid and thinking that it was the most killer thing ever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Convex posted:

I sure as hell didn't preorder or buy a physical copy of RAGE but I got that DLC so IDKWTF

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've mostly heard that Fire Warrior is just kinda there. It's a functional FPS but does nothing beyond that. If I remember right, the only really notable thing about it is that it was released around the same time the Tau themselves were, so it was kinda an introduction to the army.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I sure as hell didn't preorder or buy a physical copy of RAGE but I got that DLC so IDKWTF

what was this one again? give all keys?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

what was this one again? give all keys?

Give all keys and change all textures to FIREBLU.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Thqnkfully for RAGE, you can just mess around with with the text files and just get the preorder bonuses right off the bat. They're pretty sweet for early game.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

RAGE was a surprise with how much I enjoyed it, but man people were not exaggerating how hard that ending just comes out of nowhere.

I get the point you're making and I feel like yeah it's difficult to pull off, but it's not impossible. One person doing their vision and multiple people trying to carry out someone else's vision are pretty different. I don't think it's impossible, but I think it requires really good direction or you do get that mismatched or generic feel.

So I hit up a sale on GoG to play some older FPSes I've never gotten around to.

F.E.A.R.: Been putting it off for a while but it's really good. I always heard the AI was good but it really caught me off guard how they're aggressive without being suicidal. Wish some of the pacing with talky bits was a bit better, but that's not a big issue with me.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Shows its age but I kinda like it for that. Enemies don't really take cover so it's kind of fun just plowing through Nazis like a madman instead of plinking guys behind cover or doing forced stealth like modern WW2 shooters. Plays more like Wolfenstein than New Colossus did.

Outlaws: Only played a bit of it when it came out on my Grandpa's computer and I really like this one. Cool look, feel, and soundtrack. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played though. I can't remember the last time I died on an E1M1.

Kingpin: Woof this one is rough but a lot of fun. Definitely got that weird Quake 2 look with its lava lamp models. I did have to look at a Longplay real quick just to see what I was supposed to be doing at first but got the hang of it after that. The AI for friendly NPCs is surprisingly good especially for the time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:tviv:

Well, I was kind of half-planning to replay Quake 4 when I finished Prey:Mooncrash, but I might need to replay Perfect Dark instead.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Then Bioshock: Infinite does something similar at the start of the game, but doesn't let you leave the area until you pick up every single bonus item. And most of the items imbued you with permanent stat upgrades, so you couldn't even just drop or ignore them. :wtc:

I totally agree this is a weird way of doing it, sort of like how Dead Space’s free Xbox armor was one of the most powerful suits in the game and you can’t change it back, but I gotta say it makes replays a lot less tedious.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Plan Z posted:

Outlaws: Only played a bit of it when it came out on my Grandpa's computer and I really like this one. Cool look, feel, and soundtrack. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played though. I can't remember the last time I died on an E1M1.

You reminded me I haven't played this in 20 some years, got it for $2 on gog. It's practically unplayable with how horrible all the menuing and save/loading is. Every action gives me long black screens that minimize and go fullscreen again. :(

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think I remember Mass Effect 2 having some pretty powerful pre-order or whatever bonus armor/weapons.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
BJ could be in the new Wolfenstein since he has that synthetic super body which could be replaced or upgraded.

Also unless those sisters are twins I guess that answers the question of whether or not his new body had a dick.

I wasn't the only person wondering about that, was I?

Whoever is in it I can't wait. I'm belatedly playing through The Old Blood at the moment and I'm impressed by how much work went into it and how long it is. It's not just a cash in with reused assets, it feels like a full fledged game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The preview info for Wolfenstein Youngblood says BJ is "missing" in Paris and the plot of the game is his daughters looking for him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

joedevola posted:

Also unless those sisters are twins I guess that answers the question of whether or not his new body had a dick.

They are twins, it's mentioned throughout TNC.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

haveblue posted:

They are twins, it's mentioned throughout TNC.

Oh right.

...poor B.J :(

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

joedevola posted:

Oh right.

...poor B.J :(

He still has to have an son named Arthur at some point, unless they are completely disregarding all of the old lore. (They are.)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Old Blood has the best level design and pacing out of the Machinegames Wolfs. :colbert: I still love them all tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The Old Blood has the best level design and pacing out of the Machinegames Wolfs. :colbert: I still love them all tho.

Yeah, the narrative was weaker than the main game, but the action was a notch above.