Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The remaster looks like poo poo and makes the cool grungy Xbox graphics look like Reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

It's a fine URL. The phrase "(Let's) Make American Great Again" has existed for decades before Trump, used by both republicans and democrats, and will be used again in a decade or two by someone with no real ties to him beyond perhaps being in the same nominal party. The original game used "Mech America Great Again" as a parody of the phrase too. That it now has more cultural baggage than it had a decade ago when the game launched doesn't besmirch the phrase really; it's just a phrase. Devolver are almost certainly leaning in to it since outrage tends to increase sales, but I really can't see why there'd be a problem with the phrase given it's history.

No.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would buy it regardless of advertising or current political environment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i honestly think the phrase is fine for basically this reason

DKD posted:

It's a game in which the manly alpha POTUS, finding himself betrayed by his own administration and slandered by a hostile media, personally blows up Washington and destroys the traitors (including Our Troops who are insufficiently loyal to him personally) who come after him, to the rapturous applause of Real Americans. Trump is cosplaying this game 24/7, it's impossible not to make that kind of connection. This game will still be best played drunk, but now for a different reason than previously.

the POTUS in it was originally intended to be Bush, but in hindsight he's basically what Trump's fans think he is. if you're going to release the game at all in America in 2018 this is sort of an elephant in the living room, and making jokes about it instead of trying to dance around it seems like a fair choice.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's better than #AllMechsMatter

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of video games, Marvelous Entertainment is coming out with a new mecha game for the Switch, Daemon X Machina. It's got a bunch of Armored Core people working on it. You can steal weapons from the robots you destroy. You can walk around your robot hangar and all the robot weapons you stole from defeated foes will be displayed on the hangar walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPlBdk4HXY

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's got a bunch of Armored Core people working on it.

I was getting extremely AC vibes from it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shuichi Ikeda is also voicing a character called "Crimson Lord" that pilots a red unit and Shoji Kawamori is doing the mechanical design.

Edit: Apparently Tohru Furuya is in it voicing a character named "Diablo something", or possibly "Something Diablo" too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 14, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wish sandlot would make another remote control dandy.

gently caress I loved that game so much.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

tsob posted:

Shuichi Ikeda is also voicing a character called "Crimson Lord" that pilots a red unit and Shoji Kawamori is doing the mechanical design.

Edit: Apparently Tohru Furuya is in it voicing a character named "Diablo something", or possibly "Something Diablo" too.

Source?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

They were playing it at a the Treehouse Live event during E3 about an hour ago and you could hear those voices during the play as well as their names being referred to. The recorded stream will presumably go up on Youtube soon if it's not already up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of video games, Marvelous Entertainment is coming out with a new mecha game for the Switch, Daemon X Machina. It's got a bunch of Armored Core people working on it. You can steal weapons from the robots you destroy. You can walk around your robot hangar and all the robot weapons you stole from defeated foes will be displayed on the hangar walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPlBdk4HXY

Yusuke Kozaki is doing the character art, too. The more I hear about this game, the more interested I get.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's a poo poo URL because in the current cultural context the phrase it's parodying is associated with an orange rear end in a top hat responsible for reinvigorating conservatives and white supremacists. Context matters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mech America Great Again is a dumb pun based off of a Presidential slogan than ran on a 'America, gently caress Yeah!' platform.

I cannot think of anything more 'America, gently caress Yeah!' than Metal Wolf Chaos, so this seems appropriate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It was more of a "America is broken right now (Because we've let brown people into the country and they've taken your jobs) but I will fix it by building a wall and returning to a former era of white dominance" platform that Trump was running on.

If Metal Wolf Chaos embodies that spirit in 2018 then gently caress Metal Wolf Chaos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
no good could have come from this post

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 25, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems strange that you'd be OK with it's premise but think think that joking about Trump is too far.

Bush and Cheney weren't overt white nationalists.

This is the incredibly obvious difference that a bunch of people in this thread seem to have managed to miss somehow.

Hellioning posted:

Mech America Great Again is a dumb pun based off of a Presidential slogan than ran on a 'America, gently caress Yeah!' platform.

If this is your take on the platform that Trump ran on, I don't think you were paying any attention to his campaign.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bush and Cheney weren't overt white nationalists.

This is the incredibly obvious difference that a bunch of people in this thread seem to have managed to miss somehow.

I honestly don't see how making a pun based off a presidential slogan for a silly action game is awful because the president that used that slogan is awful, but okay.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I honestly don't see how making a pun based off a presidential slogan for a silly action game is awful because the president that used that slogan is awful, but okay.

Because if you're not loudly yelling about how evil Trump is 24/7, even when the conversation had moved to another game and seemed like it wouldn't be repeating literally every other thread on the subject since 2016, you're basically supporting Trump, who is Hitler.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
How weird is it that I spilled my Alphabits this morning and they spelled out the full text of the Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union guess I found the title for my new Armored Core dating sim

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hellioning posted:

Maybe you could figure it out in one of the political forums, please.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Because if you're not loudly yelling about how evil Trump is 24/7, even when the conversation had moved to another game and seemed like it wouldn't be repeating literally every other thread on the subject since 2016, you're basically supporting Trump, who is Hitler.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AIDS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

How weird is it that I spilled my Alphabits this morning and they spelled out the full text of the Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union guess I found the title for my new Armored Core dating sim

Yes hello I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Make Zeon Great Again.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Make MechZeonGreatAgain.(com)

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

GimmickMan posted:

Make Zeon Great Again.

Everyone has tried to do that, but none have succeeded! It's almost like a family tradition.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Artum posted:

I was getting extremely AC vibes from it.

It's extremely AC4/V if nothing else.

Which is a real shame.

LamesDoc
May 18, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's extremely AC4/V if nothing else.

Which is a real shame.

I just bought AC4, is it not a good game? I thought game play looked interesting

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

LamesDoc posted:

I just bought AC4, is it not a good game? I thought game play looked interesting

4 was a very different game to the earlier ones with a very different style of mecha. ACs in it are pretty much super robots rather than the very limited machines you can build in 2/3.

4 was good but 3 and the other games built on that engine are probably the series at its best.

That said I was extremely pleased when i built an AC in 4 that could overboost indefinitely.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LamesDoc posted:

I could literally talk about AC for hours, so I'll try to keep myself in check, but the PS2 generation of games focused on being a careful balancing act between speed, energy, managing lockons, and manipulating enemy FCSes all in service of trying to make sure your shots landed on-target while evading enemy fire. AC4 though went in a different direction and the name of the game was quick boost evasion and automatic lockons.

I'm still waiting for a game to come out as an Armored Core successor that really 'gets' what made the old gameplay fun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
zoidswild trailer

https://twitter.com/takaratomytoys/status/1011782918593826816

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I've been watching Tekkaman Blade with some friends, and while the first chunk was incredibly boring and we were tempted to drop it, the second half has been really entertaining so far. Shaking up the status quo and sending everyone on a road trip was exactly what this series needed. Focusing on side characters and letting them take centre stage instead of D-Boy's constant moping also helps. Turns out they had a pretty solid cast, they just needed to shuffle the main characters off to the side for a bit.

We also started Zambot 3, and watching it at the same time as Turn A Gundam is interesting. They feel very similar, even though they're like 30 years apart and made by pretty different Tominos. Looking forward to seeing where Zambot goes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I tried watching Tekkaman Blade about a decade back and just could not make it past about episode 5. All I ever saw people talking about was how serious and dramatic it was, and then the first couple of episode is some Saturday morning cartoon tier poo poo with someone naming the main character "Dangerous Boy" with no apparent irony, villainous military guys who just want to use the main character and don't care about them as a person and a secondary character who hates D-Boy for no real reason but then learns what a good person he is in a cheesy fashion and starts being nice to him. I think I made it as far as an episode where the love interest takes the tiniest tap to the head and gets knocked comatose and just couldn't cut it anymore. I might try and go back and force through it some day, but it broke me when I first tried at the very least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did anyone stick through with Tiramisu? It just ended and the last episode probably had my favorite gag in the series.

MarsDragon posted:

We also started Zambot 3, and watching it at the same time as Turn A Gundam is interesting. They feel very similar, even though they're like 30 years apart and made by pretty different Tominos. Looking forward to seeing where Zambot goes.
I'm not sure how far you're into either of them, but I think Zambot and Turn A are very different works by the end.

FWIW I liked Zambot better between the two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I watched all of it, yea. Loved it too. The few people aware of it before the anime started airing seemed to have a fairly pessimistic view of the manga, and I wasn't really feeling it during the first 2 or 3 episodes but I got in to it about episode 4. Subaru is just such a dork, and seeing him constantly freak out over minor poo poo while in the midst of battle or instead of concentrating on battle at all is great. What's better is that it's not just Isuzu who's that way, but his brother and his clone are just the same too. The final episode being Subaru freaking out over a misplaced screen protector while Isuzu freaks out over a tear in his jacket and both being so busy trying to fix these minor problems they completely fail to notice they're falling in to the atmosphere is great. Tiramisu takes a lot of obvious inspiration from Gundam, but just runs the ideas completely over the line and in to the next field in a silly but enjoyable way. The newtype moments all being Subaru talking with a sentient pubic hair he may be imagining is a good example. Some nice mecha design too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 27, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved how in the final episode when they were riffing on Atmospheric Rentry episodes in Gundam, Subaru's big plan was to fuckin' ask the internet "Hey how do I not burn up in the atmosphere!!!?????" and he just gets shitposts in response.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

tsob posted:

I tried watching Tekkaman Blade about a decade back and just could not make it past about episode 5. All I ever saw people talking about was how serious and dramatic it was, and then the first couple of episode is some Saturday morning cartoon tier poo poo with someone naming the main character "Dangerous Boy" with no apparent irony, villainous military guys who just want to use the main character and don't care about them as a person and a secondary character who hates D-Boy for no real reason but then learns what a good person he is in a cheesy fashion and starts being nice to him. I think I made it as far as an episode where the love interest takes the tiniest tap to the head and gets knocked comatose and just couldn't cut it anymore. I might try and go back and force through it some day, but it broke me when I first tried at the very least.

No I'm pretty sure people who like Tekkaman Blade like it because it's sopping wet unironic pulp. It commits to it and doesn't look back. You have to at least respect it.

e: my personal overall Blade rating moves with the tides (doubly so for Blade II)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 28, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Zambot is one of my top Tomino series. The first half hasn't aged well, but to me the fact that it came out before MSG makes the second half that much impressive. It's some very powerful stuff that I don't think he ever quite pulled off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah considering stuff of that era was still kind of in the Mazinger Z monster-of-the-week mold, I think that first half is still pretty good and the whole developing refugee crisis during those episodes is one of the strongest parts of Zambot 3 imo, and makes the show feel oddly relevant in regards to issues going in the real world at the moment.