Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
note that i don't handle money in my job, we have a dedicated cashier so i pretty much only handle the credit card machine if she's too busy or put sick or something, so i barely know how to do this thing because this thing is not my loving job, ok

so tonight i stayed an hour late, after everyone else had gone home, because this dude called up and said he'd bought a battery from us yesterday and had paid $18 for a core charge because he didn't have the old battery to exchange; now he had it ready and he wanted the core charge refunded and he insisted the only possible chance would be tonight because he's going on vacation so he specifically asked me to stay until he showed up (which seems mind-blowingly entitled to me in the first place -- i could never call and ask someone to work an hour late for my convenience tbh!) then when he finally showed up he had the loving gall to give me poo poo for making him wait literally two minutes while i texted somebody to find out how to do a refund on the credit card machine and he will probably complain to the business owner about me for being insufficiently fast and grateful for his existence while i did him a loving favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

note that i don't handle money in my job, we have a dedicated cashier so i pretty much only handle the credit card machine if she's too busy or put sick or something, so i barely know how to do this thing because this thing is not my loving job, ok

so tonight i stayed an hour late, after everyone else had gone home, because this dude called up and said he'd bought a battery from us yesterday and had paid $18 for a core charge because he didn't have the old battery to exchange; now he had it ready and he wanted the core charge refunded and he insisted the only possible chance would be tonight because he's going on vacation so he specifically asked me to stay until he showed up (which seems mind-blowingly entitled to me in the first place -- i could never call and ask someone to work an hour late for my convenience tbh!) then when he finally showed up he had the loving gall to give me poo poo for making him wait literally two minutes while i texted somebody to find out how to do a refund on the credit card machine and he will probably complain to the business owner about me for being insufficiently fast and grateful for his existence while i did him a loving favor

gently caress that dude.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
The hotel I work at as a manager won't hire older folks, instead hiring 20-year-olds, cos cheaper, which also means zero-experience, ultra-flaky BS people, which means my anxiety is in the stratosphere and there's nothing I can do about it. Also i'm depressed, medicated, underpaid and overworked.

Why can't I do anything about it (besides just quit, but that ain't an option, cos super-broke)? Cos it's owned by a squabbling couple in their 70s, basically "we've always done it this way", personified. Also, frugal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

I was in retail for a decade, you won't get in trouble for telling someone that they'll have to come in during your normal hours so long as you're not rude about it. Customers complaining carries almost no weight. They paid a lot to train you, you'll be fine unless you get complaints all the time. Seriously.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah, my fatal weakness is my tendency to assume that if somebody acts like it's important it's important; I need to get over that because people absolutely take advantage

e: and i know the owner will have my back on this; I'm not afraid of the consequences of the jerk's complaint, it's just an additional layer of jerkass behavior from him, y'know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom got a great new job with great benefits that she SORELY needed and decent pay a month ago! She started three weeks ago. Two days ago they hired a new CFO. Yesterday the new CFO as his first action eliminated the entire section of the company that includes my mom's position.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
My dog is a good girl, but she has issues. They don't seem to have an obvious trigger and now she has been banned from daycare because she's had her three misbehaviour strikes. It's sadness all round because they love her, she loves them but she is just too unpredictable and they have other dogs to care about.

So now she doesn't understand why she's no longer going to daycare and seeing her friends and it's killing me

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
God drat it I fell for the banner ad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought a phone on ebay (as per tradition, every two years or so instead of buying new) and this is the first time the one I bought was stolen/collections, so I've got to return it.

Was bound to happen eventually but dang it's annoying.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I complained so much to so many people already that I can’t complain anymore.

I had the worst day ever at work because my area manager is a piece of poo poo moron.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Work was a poo poo show, not limited to:

A person I asked to not be operating a carnival ride because she keeps breaking safety protocol was put in there and continued to break safety protocol. She also doesn't understand that you don't touch people's kids and when you tell her to stop she ignores you.

Another coworker gave a driver's license back to the wrong visitor, both parties involved were tourists but we gladly had contact info and they were all still in town so were able to clear up the mix up but holy gently caress how incompetent can you get.

Magpies tried to kill a baby bunny in front of a bunch of kids. We rescued it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

pride was fun but as a trans gay it was pretty disheartening how many people would approach me only to lose interest as soon as i spoke and my voice outed me

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So far Taskrabbit has promised me someone would be at my house to do something only to say "sorry it turns out we can't find anyone!" twice (at the last minute), and hasn't responded to my request to get something pinned down and concretized.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

lmao i crashed a work car :allears:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

So far Taskrabbit has promised me someone would be at my house to do something only to say "sorry it turns out we can't find anyone!" twice (at the last minute), and hasn't responded to my request to get something pinned down and concretized.

I may have to use Taskrabbit again soon because the guy I was using for handyman stuff just texted me asking for a personal loan, and now I don't feel comfortable going back to him. :/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's so much high school levels of drama going on at work right now, I am going to lose my mind.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My country's being run by a xenophobic fascist piece of poo poo and I couldn't even vent at dinner IRL because one of the people I was having dinner with (who is also someone who pays my bills) is also a xenophobic fascist piece of poo poo.

Seriously, ACTUAL VERBATIM QUOTE -- "The more I go around the world, the more I'm convinced it's divided into three parts: brown apes, yellow monkeys, and a proper Race. Personally I think our moustachioed friend from Germany had the right idea."

I'm not even kidding when I say I could hear him capitalise the R in "race".

And I had to grit my teeth and bear it, no matter how much I wanted to throw my drink into his face and GTFO :negative:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Mikl posted:

My country's being run by a xenophobic fascist piece of poo poo and I couldn't even vent at dinner IRL because one of the people I was having dinner with (who is also someone who pays my bills) is also a xenophobic fascist piece of poo poo.

Seriously, ACTUAL VERBATIM QUOTE -- "The more I go around the world, the more I'm convinced it's divided into three parts: brown apes, yellow monkeys, and a proper Race. Personally I think our moustachioed friend from Germany had the right idea."

I'm not even kidding when I say I could hear him capitalise the R in "race".

And I had to grit my teeth and bear it, no matter how much I wanted to throw my drink into his face and GTFO :negative:

If he falls down the stairs it's easy to make that seem like an accident, just saying....

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Had a job interview on Thursday of last week. It went really well, the woman basically had me believing I had the job before I left ("I'm going to put you on this shift, I think you'd be great there"). She said she'd call me back the next day or Monday at the latest.

It's 3pm on Wednesday now. I called yesterday and today and left messages for her since she was busy seeing patients. Just call me and let me know what's up, even if you aren't done with background checks or whatever. How hard is that?! I hate this feeling of anxiety and feeling like I'm babysitting my phone.

I just hope one of my references didn't say anything to gently caress me over. And my former boss literally just retired last month so I'm out my best reference. Gah. I just wanna get paid.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I can’t loving fall asleep and I’ve tried every trick in the book. I’m 100% sure it’s due to anxiety but it won’t go away no matter how many times I talk to my brain not to worry. I have prescribed sleeping pills but I don’t want to be stupid and mix medications (took anti anxiety pill earlier). I can’t just get up and do stuff because my body is sooo tired and is in severe pain. This really sucks.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Jun 21, 2018

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

There are privately-run concentration camps in the US right now.

To paraphrase that other famous H.L. Mencken quote, it's time to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and slit some (metaphorical) throats.

I am also having to explain why I'm not in favor of goddamn motherfucking concentration camps and at this point I wish entropy would hurry the hell up and negate this failed universe.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

queserasera posted:

There are privately-run concentration camps in the US right now.

To paraphrase that other famous H.L. Mencken quote, it's time to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and slit some (metaphorical) throats.

I am also having to explain why I'm not in favor of goddamn motherfucking concentration camps and at this point I wish entropy would hurry the hell up and negate this failed universe.
Global warming, just give it a minute or two.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

The sequel to this? I decided to use another similar service (Handy), scheduled for 9 in the morning on Friday (today). Everything looked fine, had a person assigned to my task, and all seemed hopeful. At around 8:00am this morning, I'm awakened to a standard notification sound on my phone. "Oh, great, they sent me something saying the person'll be there soon".

Nope. Turns out it was a message basically saying "sorry, the guy who was supposed to show up couldn't make it, we rescheduled for monday. Here's a ten dollar credit for your next booking!"

It took me bitching on Twitter for their CS folks to get the ten dollar credit applied to my existing booking, pointing out that if they are going to reschedule something an hour before it's supposed to happen, I'm not going to use your service a hypothetical next time. I know it's only ten bucks, but christ alive, I took a half-day off my job today so that I could finally get this poo poo done.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

A guy I was good friends with in high school (...a decade and a half ago, Christ how time flies...) has always been a bit crazy about "The Man stealing out money and giving nothing in return", and he's pretty vocal on Facebook about his membership in a secessionist group.

Then today he posted a status on how our current Minister for the Interior is 100% justified in racially profiling Roma people, since "it's historically proven their presence in a region leads to an increase in crime and decrease in social stability."

I genuinely liked the guy way back when we hanged out on the reg, but nope. This is the fastest I've ever hit the unfriend button. But it still ruined my evening :(

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

the gig economy is exploitative towards the workers, mr bibs, try directly hiring a person next time instead of going through an app that will eat most of your fee; the person you hire will be more invested in the work then

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Dare I ask what you are trying to hire somebody on Taskrabbit to do, MrBibs?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jeza posted:

Pre-chew hot dogs

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Tonight I found out my porch isn't high enough to keep me from posting. :smithicide:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Assemble a whole bunch of furniture we bought that me and my partner looked at the assembly instructions for and immediately noped out of the possibilliy / willingness to try ourselves.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I found out one of my coworkers who started 3 months ago has been poo poo talking about me behind my back, endlessly complaining about how I refuse to do certain jobs and make her do it instead.

I don't do heavy lifting because I have severe hypermobility and subluxation issues in my elbows and shoulders in addition to an illness causing chronic pain, mostly in my joints. Everyone knows it. Everyone but her is okay with it. Other workers often offer to help me even if I'm managing okay. My manager accommodates me any way I need and everyone has been so kind and supportive as my body falls apart in front of their eyes. I was fine 2 years ago and a lot of them have witnessed what I've been going through and are really sympathetic and understanding.

So it was just a surprise. I've described what these jobs do to me to her before too, and she still needs to complain about how I'm lazy. She also poo poo talks about everyone else too, though, so it's not personal, she's just a whiny, petty, miserable person.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Picnic Princess posted:

I found out one of my coworkers who started 3 months ago has been poo poo talking about me behind my back, endlessly complaining about how I refuse to do certain jobs and make her do it instead.

I don't do heavy lifting because I have severe hypermobility and subluxation issues in my elbows and shoulders in addition to an illness causing chronic pain, mostly in my joints. Everyone knows it. Everyone but her is okay with it. Other workers often offer to help me even if I'm managing okay. My manager accommodates me any way I need and everyone has been so kind and supportive as my body falls apart in front of their eyes. I was fine 2 years ago and a lot of them have witnessed what I've been going through and are really sympathetic and understanding.

So it was just a surprise. I've described what these jobs do to me to her before too, and she still needs to complain about how I'm lazy. She also poo poo talks about everyone else too, though, so it's not personal, she's just a whiny, petty, miserable person.

What up my apparent doppelgänger :(:respek::(

Hyper mobility and AS here myself and it really does suck when people get in their head that it’s just a choice instead of a horribly depressing fact of life that your body will always be holding you back from being well and doing what you’d like.

People also have no idea how much chronic pain can absolutely change a person. Hang in there, given how supportive your coworkers have been so far one can only hope that they talk their way out of a job. Still stings having someone backstab all the same though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Okay, so that's nothing anymore. My family is disowning me! Although it was inevitable, but tonight the deal was sealed because I told them I did not want to engage in slapfights about things that happened over 20 years ago, because I am severely ill and all that negativity makes me worse to the point I could be forced to stop working, or end up in a wheelchair, and I just can't do it anymore.

Good thing I have a (better) back up family. My in-laws are saints.

I should see them this weekend.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Comcast poo poo the bed in our area today, and now two out of the three smart bulbs we use will no longer connect to our wifi and, thus, unsuable. :(

They were amazingly convenient. Turn them on or off from wherever, adjust the power and color at the push of a button...

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Went to my parent's place to do laundry and found out that one of their cats that was a part of my life for 8 years had a stroke a few days ago.

He survived and is recovering but gently caress, he has trouble walking, lost an entire god drat pound of weight (For those that don't know that's a LOT for a cat to lose,) and likely has some short-term memory issues now.

I just held him most of the time I was there and now I'm tearing up writing this, gently caress. :smith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My sister told me to gently caress off forever because I'm condescending and think I'm better than everyone because I said I have moved on and left my past behind me, and I refuse to get involved in a bunch of slapfights over poo poo that happened 25 years ago. Apparently choosing to surround yourself with positivity makes you a massive bitch.

I can live with that.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The support team at work is letting people go home early on annual leave but only if they finish 2 hours before close. I have the close shift.

Edit: they offered extra day off for tomorrow. I didn't get it. Now I'm just real mad that i basically got teased time off.

Intoluene has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Jul 5, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My dad is a glowing black sphere of pure negativity. Whenever he speaks nine times out of ten it's to complain about something, generally taxes, laws, the government, and so on. It's seriously exhausting being with him, and since I work with him I have to suffer it for eight-ten hours per day.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I hit a fuckin dog on the way home from fireworks last night.

Driving down a back road with a 45 mph speed limit from a friend's house, the dog bolted into the road in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes, my speed got down significantly, but still hit her pretty hard and she went tumbling. She got up and went running imto the darkness, I pulled over and helped the owners who were running towards the road look for her. We found her after not much time, she was standing up, bleeding from her mouth a bit, but at least 1) alive and 2) no broken legs.

There were three people, a guy and two women, I'm assuming a couple that owned the dog and a friend. The woman who owned the dog was absolutely hysterical, and understandably so. I was in shock and just telling them how sorry I was, offered to drive them to the vet, we were in a pretty rural area, but they said they lived just up the hill. The guy picked up the dog and carried him towards the house, the first woman was in tears and my girlfriend was hugging, apologizing, and consoling her, and the second woman and I exchanged information.

We got home, and not too long after I got a text that they were at the vet, and that they had gotten x-rays and there wasn't any severe damage, some serious bruising, but no broken bones or internal injuries. I apologized again and told them to tell me what their vet bill was. They told me that they appreciated that we stopped and helped them, and that it was their fault and should have had the dog on a leash or lead. I said that regardless of fault I felt terrible and to let me know whatever they need.

I've never experienced anything like that. Holy poo poo. The split second of seeing an animal run out into the road, then realizing it's wearing a bright pink collar and is someone's pet. I can't imagine how the owners are feeling. I'm just glad that it wasn't too serious and the dog is going to be alright. If I killed that dog, holy poo poo I don't even know. I feel like I handled the situation as best as possible, and I've still felt like a piece of poo poo for the last 24 hours. I definitely didn't have the shittiest day of all parties involved, but my god I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

om nom nom posted:

I hit a fuckin dog on the way home from fireworks last night.

Driving down a back road with a 45 mph speed limit from a friend's house, the dog bolted into the road in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes, my speed got down significantly, but still hit her pretty hard and she went tumbling. She got up and went running imto the darkness, I pulled over and helped the owners who were running towards the road look for her. We found her after not much time, she was standing up, bleeding from her mouth a bit, but at least 1) alive and 2) no broken legs.

There were three people, a guy and two women, I'm assuming a couple that owned the dog and a friend. The woman who owned the dog was absolutely hysterical, and understandably so. I was in shock and just telling them how sorry I was, offered to drive them to the vet, we were in a pretty rural area, but they said they lived just up the hill. The guy picked up the dog and carried him towards the house, the first woman was in tears and my girlfriend was hugging, apologizing, and consoling her, and the second woman and I exchanged information.

We got home, and not too long after I got a text that they were at the vet, and that they had gotten x-rays and there wasn't any severe damage, some serious bruising, but no broken bones or internal injuries. I apologized again and told them to tell me what their vet bill was. They told me that they appreciated that we stopped and helped them, and that it was their fault and should have had the dog on a leash or lead. I said that regardless of fault I felt terrible and to let me know whatever they need.

I've never experienced anything like that. Holy poo poo. The split second of seeing an animal run out into the road, then realizing it's wearing a bright pink collar and is someone's pet. I can't imagine how the owners are feeling. I'm just glad that it wasn't too serious and the dog is going to be alright. If I killed that dog, holy poo poo I don't even know. I feel like I handled the situation as best as possible, and I've still felt like a piece of poo poo for the last 24 hours. I definitely didn't have the shittiest day of all parties involved, but my god I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

It never feels good but understand that your quick reaction saved that dogs life. You're an awesome person for stopping and helping too. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You didn't hit the dog on purpose and did what you could to help said dog. Don't beat yourself up over it. Accidents happen.