Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The idea that Ted Levine is in this as a Great White Hunter is making me want to see this piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The idea that Ted Levine is in this as a Great White Hunter is making me want to see this piece of poo poo.

I like JA Bayona, too. The Orphanage and Penny Dreadful are both good stuff

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Impossible was also good, despite itself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

I like JA Bayona, too. The Orphanage and Penny Dreadful are both good stuff

Written by Trevorrow though.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 16, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Impossible was also good, despite itself.

I avoided that and AA,SB guy’s movie about a white family in turrible danger in exotic indochina for the same reasons, I’ll give it a shot. Did you see A Monster Calls?

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not at all because I never saw it come to any streaming service I had.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It really feels like they're overstating things at the end when they say that we now live in a completely new 'Jurassic' world. There's what, maybe 15-20 large creatures already fitted with tracking chips somewhere in a forest, most of which are the sole examples of their species and wouldn't be able to breed even if they did miraculously stay hidden. Which they obviously won't - the T-Rex's first stop is a zoo - that's the last place it wants to be! It just doesn't feel like that big a deal.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2018

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I knew I was in for a wild ride right from the start when the dude got his tablet stomped and it turned out that this super-big-keep-dinosuars-out-of-the-outside-world security door required a constant connection in order for it to finish closing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

glad she is dead posted:

It really feels like they're overstating things at the end when they say that we now live in a completely new 'Jurassic' world. There's what, maybe 15-20 large creatures already fitted with tracking chips somewhere in a forest, most of which are the sole examples of their species and wouldn't be able to breed even if they did miraculously stay hidden. Which they obviously won't - the T-Rex's first stop is a zoo - that's the last place it wants to be! It just doesn't feel like that big a deal.

100% yes. I felt like they were going for a Planet of the Apes "we can never go back" vibe but that poo poo would be dealt with in days, unless they all immediately laid a shitload of eggs and did the frog DNA thing.

But having the movie end on Jeff Goldblum saying the name of the film while staring directly into the camera was so worth it. :allears:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

I think colin trevorrow has said that this scenario is basically the set up to his end game but is absolute nonsense. I think if you were being very generous you could make the argument that the threat isn't the dinosaurs but the proliferation of genetic manipulation but I guess its more like he wants to set up the flintstones.

The real terror of the original Jurassic Park is that humans had the access to easily control and destroy the dinosaurs and had that taken away from them due to their own arrogance and were trapped on the island as it reverted to its natural state.

Even within Fallen Kingdom a group of mercenaries were able to subdue all the creatures without much difficulty. It's hard to imagine getting to the point where man and dinosaur are forced to coexist.

For a dinosaur movie to really work you have to remove man from society - either through geographic isolation or time travel.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even nuPotA had to kill off 99% of humanity to make it work

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So is that "welcome to Jurassic World" line any less contrived in context than it seems in the trailer?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

I think colin trevorrow has said that this scenario is basically the set up to his end game but is absolute nonsense. I think if you were being very generous you could make the argument that the threat isn't the dinosaurs but the proliferation of genetic manipulation but I guess its more like he wants to set up the flintstones.

I guess the real problem is that the militarised dinosaurs plot is going nowhere. Even without resorting to tactical realism poo poo it seems really obvious that incredibly expensive monster dinosaurs on the battlefield (that have a habit of going nuts and eating their handlers) is a complete non-starter. The one in this film would have been killed instantly if Owen had had more than two drat bullets in his gun.

The real existential threat in the movie is Maisie and they skim over her reaction to finding out she's a clone pretty quickly. Probably would have been better if they'd made the character slightly older, had her discover more about how she was engineered (maybe that she's 'improved' over her Mum and that she's a patented corporate product) and I dunno, rip off Alien: Resurrection and have her find a room full of failed Maisies. Also, make her part dinosaur because c'mon if you're being this silly then really go for it.

If they've got any sense Jurassic World 3 should be Gattaca meets the Flintstones. Lean into the ridiculousness hard and have people genetically modifying themselves, bringing back the dead, designing their own weird freak pets and so on.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

I guess the real problem is that the militarised dinosaurs plot is going nowhere. Even without resorting to tactical realism poo poo it seems really obvious that incredibly expensive monster dinosaurs on the battlefield (that have a habit of going nuts and eating their handlers) is a complete non-starter. The one in this film would have been killed instantly if Owen had had more than two drat bullets in his gun.

The real existential threat in the movie is Maisie and they skim over her reaction to finding out she's a clone pretty quickly. Probably would have been better if they'd made the character slightly older, had her discover more about how she was engineered (maybe that she's 'improved' over her Mum and that she's a patented corporate product) and I dunno, rip off Alien: Resurrection and have her find a room full of failed Maisies. Also, make her part dinosaur because c'mon if you're being this silly then really go for it.

If they've got any sense Jurassic World 3 should be Gattaca meets the Flintstones. Lean into the ridiculousness hard and have people genetically modifying themselves, bringing back the dead, designing their own weird freak pets and so on.

Yeah, you even had the laughable exposition about animals being used in warfare like elephants and horses, ignoring that the reason we don't anymore is that technology has superseded them. Dinosaurs are literally only viable as tourist attractions. I'd be more interested in a work place comedy about the PR effort to rebrand Jurassic Park after yet another disaster than trying to stretch the premise to a different field. Unless we straight up get into dino-riders territory.

And like you say as soon as we're into the territory of viable human cloning the moral and social issues that opens up blows dinosaurs out of the water.

It's a franchise that has really lost track of what it wants dinosaurs to be and represent.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
as dumb as the premise is
nobody seems to have noticed that they did at least make their Indoraptor bulletproof. those three bullets Owen fired didnt fall to the floor without leaving a mark.
Sure the guns impact still seems a problem, and I am sure an elephant gun could do the trick.

at least it seems this WAR direction is gone for good now
(also the method to track them by chips was destroyed in the movie)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeafNote posted:

as dumb as the premise is
nobody seems to have noticed that they did at least make their Indoraptor bulletproof. those three bullets Owen fired didnt fall to the floor without leaving a mark.
Sure the guns impact still seems a problem, and I am sure an elephant gun could do the trick.

at least it seems this WAR direction is gone for good now
(also the method to track them by chips was destroyed in the movie)

Fair enough on the gun thing, I didn't notice the bullets falling to the floor. But even with the system gone the dinosaurs are still emitting radio signals, I figured the importance special system on the island was that allowed them to track individual dinosaurs so they could catch Blue.

Why was Blue so important anyway if they had this trained superdinosaur ready to go?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Because the Indoraptor was literally a supervillain and the only thing they managed to teach it was that "if this dot is pointed on someone kill 'em". I mean that is useful, but the problem is that once it has killed whatever got pointed at, it will probably turn on you. And since the idiots made it bullet proof, resistant to tranquilizers and whatever else, getting it back under control is pretty hard. They needed to train some indoraptors that would actually stay under control, instead of going all murder spree on you the moment you hosed up even slightly, and they were hoping that Blue would give a good example to next generation of indoraptors.

This plan is of course ignoring the fact that Blue is also ridiculous levels of intelligent, except instead of being a malicious supervillain its just a raptor that wants to be left alone for the most part. Giving Blue a pack of indoraptors would have turned out badly in a completely different way.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The inevitable sequel should be about Blue assembling a special team of skilled dinosaurs to pull off a heist against the InGen corporation. Since the whole film is told from the point of view of the dinos, all humans speak gibberish.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh yeah, one thing that bothered me about this film that I just remembered.

When Bryce Dallas Howard goes to the big mansion for the first time the film does this weird visual reference of the Brachiosaur reveal in Jurassic Park: she gets out of the car and gazes up at the building in wonder before it's revealed in a wide shot. I guess they're saying that the old money and power is equal to the majesty of the dinosaurs... or is as potentially dangerous? Anyone got any thoughts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

The inevitable sequel should be about Blue assembling a special team of skilled dinosaurs to pull off a heist against the InGen corporation. Since the whole film is told from the point of view of the dinos, all humans speak gibberish.

I was thinking more of a Blue solo stealth mission. Basically Hitman but with a raptor. You can even keep the costumed disguises which somehow work.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blue/Rex buddy cop movie

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Paragon8 posted:

The real terror of the original Jurassic Park is that humans had the access to easily control and destroy the dinosaurs and had that taken away from them due to their own arrogance and were trapped on the island as it reverted to its natural state.

Even within Fallen Kingdom a group of mercenaries were able to subdue all the creatures without much difficulty. It's hard to imagine getting to the point where man and dinosaur are forced to coexist.

For a dinosaur movie to really work you have to remove man from society - either through geographic isolation or time travel.

If they want to do that, the template is the Monsters films, where the aliens become too entrenched in the ecosystem to eradicate. With dinosaurs, that means something like compies competing with coyotes and racoons as urban scavengers, I guess, and the big dinos relocated to parkland.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

No, THIS is where you break out the "Dinos with guns" script.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was thinking more of a Blue solo stealth mission. Basically Hitman but with a raptor. You can even keep the costumed disguises which somehow work.

AceOfFlames posted:

No, THIS is where you break out the "Dinos with guns" script.

Jurassic World Rampage Edition sounding good

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

If they want to do that, the template is the Monsters films, where the aliens become too entrenched in the ecosystem to eradicate. With dinosaurs, that means something like compies competing with coyotes and racoons as urban scavengers, I guess, and the big dinos relocated to parkland.

I think that's a really interesting concept - who doesn't love stuff like dinotopia or the flintstones - but its just hard to see how they get there from this unless they do a bananas 10 year time skip and don't really explain it. I wish there was more space for dinosaur movies that aren't attached to the jurassic park brand.

This movie is still gonna do like 800m world wide at the box office which is really outrageous.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If the next movie isn't Mad Max: Dinosaur Edition that takes place 'ten years later,' I'm going to be very disappointed. Bryce as some Furiosa/Alice amalgam, Chris Pratt as Max. And I just loving *knew* that when she decided - rightly - to let the dinosaurs die, that the little girl was going to act on behalf of Amblin Entertainment and Universal Studios and let ~life find a way~...to make another few billion dollars.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 22, 2018

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They took all the dumb things about the first Jurassic World and made them WAY dumber. This was garbage. Poor J.A. Bayona being saddled with such a lovely script.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They took all the dumb things about the first Jurassic World and made them WAY dumber. This was garbage. Poor J.A. Bayona being saddled with such a lovely script.

This is exactly what I told my friends. Jurassic World had some faults, but it was a fun popcorn movie. This movie legitimately made me angry at how bad it was.

I'm so sick of evil corrupt military conspiracies, and so sick of the hero of the film being able to take on multiple trained military personnel in hand to hand.

I did tear up a bit when the Brachiosaurus died at the dock, as he was waving goodbye and telling us to be good.

I also said "gently caress you" audibly to "They're alive.... like me"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wanted to see way more of Daniella Pineda's character. She was *criminally* underused in this movie and had better on-screen gravitas and presence than Bryce.

Oh, and hydrogen cyanide is rated a 4 for flammability on the NFPA diamond - and if there was something that ignited the hydrogen gas, surely turning the electricity back on would have ignited the HCN as well, which is *ridiculously* explosive in air at the level of concentrations implied/shown on screen. Yay, convenient plot holes!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 22, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I cannot wait to see this big dumb loving movie in a few weeks because all this terrible schlock sounds terrible and I don't care. DINOSAURS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glad she is dead posted:

Oh yeah, one thing that bothered me about this film that I just remembered.

When Bryce Dallas Howard goes to the big mansion for the first time the film does this weird visual reference of the Brachiosaur reveal in Jurassic Park: she gets out of the car and gazes up at the building in wonder before it's revealed in a wide shot. I guess they're saying that the old money and power is equal to the majesty of the dinosaurs... or is as potentially dangerous? Anyone got any thoughts?

I think she looked up in awe for a fraction of a second (no really, it is that brief) because it’s a legitimately impressive mansion. About the only thing it has in common with the Brachiosaurus reveal is that it’s a character acknowledging that something is visually impressive. The mansion doesn’t have the sweeping music, the long camera hold, the characters staring in disbelief at something that should be impossible. It’s a big mansion, and she’s acknowledging that through body language rather than saying “that’s a big mansion” out loud.

For comparison, Fallen Kingdom has a literal brachiosaurus reveal that’s handled a lot differently from the mansion (and very similar to how it was handled in JP).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This movie has the series' only completely successful jaunt to the island

Does anyone die during the roundup, at all?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Movie should have gone full gothic horror, the "gently caress dinosaurs are scary" scenes were miles stronger than the generic flirting/island stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Brachiosaurus is the franchise's metaphor for "Maybe this power can be used for innocent and good purposes"

The mansion shot was just to establish that it's big enough to be Act 2 and to ostensibly have a secret underground zoo and auction hall that were added without disturbing the man who's always home

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I think she looked up in awe for a fraction of a second (no really, it is that brief) because it’s a legitimately impressive mansion. About the only thing it has in common with the Brachiosaurus reveal is that it’s a character acknowledging that something is visually impressive. The mansion doesn’t have the sweeping music, the long camera hold, the characters staring in disbelief at something that should be impossible. It’s a big mansion, and she’s acknowledging that through body language rather than saying “that’s a big mansion” out loud.

For comparison, Fallen Kingdom has a literal brachiosaurus reveal that’s handled a lot differently from the mansion (and very similar to how it was handled in JP).

That is one big pile of mansion.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not a great film, but better than JW in nearly every way. Which is surprising because the trailers for it were absolutely terrible. It's got some really drat good set pieces and visuals, coupled with it's decent pacing I was entertained the whole way through and not bored like I saw JW in theaters (I think I might have fallen asleep for parts of it), or any subsequent rewatches of JW. A ton of the stuff in the film is recycled or nods to things from the other films which wasn't necessary but whatever.

It doesn't have anything as good as the Indominus vs T-Rex battle though, which is a shame.

If the next film isn't just post-apocalypse with dinos they've hosed up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

s.i.r.e. posted:

If the next film isn't just a Dino Riders reboot they've hosed up.

Ian Malcom on Gattling Rexy Action Figure

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Probably hands down the worst movie I've ever seen in my whole life from start to finish. Even worse than Ready Player One, which is loving impressive.

Suspension of disbelief is nearly impossible. I really *really* tried to convince myself "it's a dumb summer action movie, just enjoy it." But, every choice, every line, every consequence was just manufactured BS to lead into another CGI action sequence, which were rendered poorly anyway and not satisfying in the slightest bit whatsoever.

The best way I can compare why a crowd-pleasing big-budget movie like Jurassic Park knocked it out of the park while dumb crowd-pleasing big-budget Jurassic World 2 makes an embarrassment out of everyone's career is when humans in each film encounter dinosaurs for the first time. In JP, they really focused on how awe-inspiring it was. In JW2, disenfranchised tweens look at the dinosaurs for a second and go "cool" and the movie goes on.

Candidate for silliest horse poo poo I've ever seen in a movie goes to Blue running away from an explosion and jumping through a window to safety. Sub in The Rock, Jason Statham, or the ghost of Paul Walker and you have the same scene.

There were a few well-timed jokes that made me chuckle, but it had very little heart or pulse whatsoever.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Someone earlier said that blue read the "explosive" sign and ran but I'm pretty sure she sniffed the air and ran because it smelled bad. Also they one upped JP4 with not 1 but 2 dilophosaur shoutouts but they're never gonna have those fuckers in the actual movie again are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There was a TON of setup for a "The girl has Dino DNA" reveal in this movie. What the gently caress was even the point of her?

Also, this was such an homage to The Lost World that I have to imagine the entire audience went through this:

"The plane left for the island. Hey, where's Maisie? Maisie where are you? Maisie seems to be missing from the manor!"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that stupidass kid is gonna be a stowaway on the plane and make things More Complicated on the island

"There's Maisie, hiding right over there, still in the manor!"

Oh

• Locked thread