Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Should I make the hidden UP box links at the bottom of the page be more visible? I don't think a majority of people here even know they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I just click the scroll bar to the top, it's not like it's hard to do it on my own at all. I always thought that thing was just a Chrome feature, I didn't even know it was part of the forums. I'd probably never use it even if it was bigger.

Also sorry if this was asked before but is there ever going to be some kind of reddit/facebook-like notification/red envelope thing when someone replies or quotes us, or is that only possible with xenforo, it seems like having some notice would help spur discussion and it's kinda nice to know immediately if there's someone trying to talk about something we say

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Teikanmi posted:

Also sorry if this was asked before but is there ever going to be some kind of reddit/facebook-like notification/red envelope thing when someone replies or quotes us, or is that only possible with xenforo, it seems like having some notice would help spur discussion and it's kinda nice to know immediately if there's someone trying to talk about something we say
Not under the current codebase, no. I would love to have a feature like that, but the hack would be messy as hell and would require a bunch of poo poo to be constantly refreshed for every user.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, checked the stats and the pageload time has definitely decreased:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowtax posted:

Presumably using less resources. :nice:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Should I make the hidden UP box links at the bottom of the page be more visible? I don't think a majority of people here even know they exist.

When ZDR added them ages ago, people complained about them being too visible. So he made them hide until the mouse gets near. :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lowtax posted:

congrats op

please do not make the Up box more visible

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

congrats op

please do not make the Up box more visible
Well I'd like there to be some way to communicate to the average user that this function / button exists.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's cool that it's there i guess but if i was running a forum i'd only really be looking to popularise it if i'd had people complain about the scrolling experience. if they haven't been doing that, then, well, gently caress 'em.

that said, can you make it pop up if you hover over the whole righthand side of the screen, not just the bottom right corner? more people would see it, although it might interfere with quote buttons

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe make them pop up when you're scrolled all the way down?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that said, can you make it pop up if you hover over the whole righthand side of the screen, not just the bottom right corner? more people would see it, although it might interfere with quote buttons

It's also on the bottom left because people were fighting over which side it should be on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Please add a giant up arrow in the top and a down arrow on the bottom in the center so I can pretend my computer is a phone

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Geemer posted:

It's also on the bottom left because people were fighting over which side it should be on.
Yeah, that's the difficult thing about adding features, half of the people hate them, half of the people like them, and half of the people want them changed

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, that's the difficult thing about adding features, half of the people hate them, half of the people like them, and half of the people want them changed

Make the little arrows do what the big arrow did, and make it play comforting elevator muzak on the way up.

e: And just to be clear I'm not being sarcastic. I legit loved the slow ride to the top.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lowtax posted:

Okay, I'm just going to remove that then. Also I'll remove the auto refresh since nobody seems to like either.

I wasn't trying to criticize I just thought I'd let folks know if they don't like it that it's trivial to remove it. I'm sure there are folks who like it just fine. Also, I appreciate you trying to actively improve the forums.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It already is, and he can make a case for having a legitimate business usecase for keeping the small amount of customer data that he does to track down permaban reregs

uh excuse me i cannot find a detailed cookie policy anywhere

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I wasn't trying to criticize I just thought I'd let folks know if they don't like it that it's trivial to remove it. I'm sure there are folks who like it just fine. Also, I appreciate you trying to actively improve the forums.
Nobody was really voicing their support of it, so I didn't have any issue with disabling it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Opp if you decide to implement some cyber times future tech forum system, I would be ok with losing everything in my account except name and regdate, but only on the condition that the forums as they are now are locked and cryogenically preserved as a timeless monument to our collective retardation.

Buy new-archives to get to log into to the old forums system and you also get current archives

New forums shouldn't even have smilies people could re buy the ones they want so bad. Some I bet get used once a year max

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Opp if you decide to implement some cyber times future tech forum system, I would be ok with losing everything in my account except name and regdate, but only on the condition that the forums as they are now are locked and cryogenically preserved as a timeless monument to our collective retardation.

Buy new-archives to get to log into to the old forums system and you also get current archives

New forums shouldn't even have smilies people could re buy the ones they want so bad. Some I bet get used once a year max

I agree, shove the forums inside Walt Disney's skull, so in the far future he can rise as an abomination that only knows how to quote Marx and shitpost, ironically.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ps someone was bitching about trying to sift thru smilies to find the one they wanted. On PC the best way to do this is to shrink the window down so that it only shows a few per line, like three, and only have like six lines. Makes it comprehensible to scroll through them. If you try to do it full screen its sensory overload imo

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
re: Up arrows

I'm of the mind that less obtrusion is always better and you should always see as much of the user-content of the forums as possible and not buttons or other stuff

less is more imho and we all have scroll wheels

and yeah while we're on it, the smiley page is just chaos and i know it's not really important but if there was a way to sort by color, that would be pretty nice considering I can't remember the names of some icons at all, just what they look like, because goons are morons who name poo poo weirdly

maybe impossible to code that, or would take forever, but just an idea

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 16, 2018

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ps someone was bitching about trying to sift thru smilies to find the one they wanted. On PC the best way to do this is to shrink the window down so that it only shows a few per line, like three, and only have like six lines. Makes it comprehensible to scroll through them. If you try to do it full screen its sensory overload imo

That's something I could definitely fix, but before I start working on it, I'd like to read more feedback from you guys about the ideal way to optimize and implement a fix.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

That's something I could definitely fix, but before I start working on it, I'd like to read more feedback from you guys about the ideal way to optimize and implement a fix.

I'm not sure if this really helps, but having someone sort through them to stick them into more categories might help. Currently a lot of them are mixed in really weird ways.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have no idea how they should be categorized. Some are obscure and some are used differently than the original I guess. And some would belong in multiple catagories. :smith: :smithfrog: :frogout:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Nurge posted:

I'm not sure if this really helps, but having someone sort through them to stick them into more categories might help. Currently a lot of them are mixed in really weird ways.
If somebody wants to organize a goon group effort to categorize them, I can implement it. I'm not going to even bother trying to do it myself, because I know I'll invariably be told I did it the wrong way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nurge posted:

Even just a simple alphabetical sort would be a quick fix until a different sort is thought up

This would require he run the current massively expensive system plus a new system and would cost more money lol

Lowtax posted:

If somebody wants to organize a goon group effort to categorize them, I can implement it. I'm not going to even bother trying to do it myself, because I know I'll invariably be told I did it the wrong way.

I think I’ve done something like this for BroBot (my discord bot with all the smilies). On Monday I’ll post how they’re organized and we can maybe implement it like that

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 17, 2018

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This would require he run the current massively expensive system plus a new system and would cost more money lol

I can only assume you misread what he said. He's saying that there is a work around that YOU can do to make the smilies easier to see, by just shrinking your browser window. Otherwise I have no idea what your sentence is referring to.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm not 100% positive on this: Lowtax, do you know there's already a ctrl+home shortcut on Windows and a Command+up arrow on Mac that immediately puts you at the top of the page without lag? It is much more reliable to press keys than to aim for a button with a mouse. I think most goons do already know this and are already in the habit of pressing it all the time while they use a web browser, since there are plenty of sites where it's helpful to do so often (Wikipedia is a major one).

On phones there's a built-in way as well and it's even easier; for iPhone just tap the empty area at the status bar (top of the screen) and you're instantly at the top.

I don't think there is anyone out there who knows how to use technology who is having a hard time with the forum scrolling experience. If the average person needs to hear anything, it's the above information (making them better power users of their device on any page) rather than any announcement about features that are only helpful on this page.

In short, don't waste any more time fretting over whether people are able scroll this site well enough - it's a solved problem built in to the browsers already. Whoever requested the feature was either uninformed or their request was misunderstood.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Some goon once made this neat GreaseMonkey script that created a searchbox at the top of the smilies page and then searched in the name, code and description of the smilie showing a dropdown with the title and also the picture.

It unfortunately broke with a GM update a while ago, but implementing something along those lines and making sure all the smilies have a semblance of a decent description would be fine. Maybe you could even (get someone to) fix it and just make it part of the page as is? I don't really know much web dev code stuff.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm not 100% positive on this: Lowtax, do you know there's already a ctrl+home shortcut on Windows and a Command+up arrow on Mac that immediately puts you at the top of the page without lag? It is much more reliable to press keys than to aim for a button with a mouse. I think most goons do already know this and are already in the habit of pressing it all the time while they use a web browser, since there are plenty of sites where it's helpful to do so often (Wikipedia is a major one).

On phones there's a built-in way as well and it's even easier; for iPhone just tap the empty area at the status bar (top of the screen) and you're instantly at the top.

I don't think there is anyone out there who knows how to use technology who is having a hard time with the forum scrolling experience. If the average person needs to hear anything, it's the above information (making them better power users of their device on any page) rather than any announcement about features that are only helpful on this page.

In short, don't waste any more time fretting over whether people are able scroll this site well enough - it's a solved problem built in to the browsers already. Whoever requested the feature was either uninformed or their request was misunderstood.
I don't think a majority of users know or use this.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Nurge posted:

e: And just to be clear I'm not being sarcastic. I legit loved the slow ride to the top.

I also enjoyed the smooth action of the big arrow and lament its passing.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Why does everyone want to go to the top of the page anyway?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

luchajones posted:

Because apparently I'm the only one who uses the jump box in the bottom left hand corner.

The up button is useful if you want to go back to the top from half way through a page without having to scroll up or down, though.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

luchajones posted:

I have no idea, but the people who do are very vocal about it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lolie posted:

Because apparently I'm the only one who uses the jump box in the bottom left hand corner.

If that’s the drop down menu with the forum list, every app user uses it too. You’re not alone!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can only assume you misread what he said. He's saying that there is a work around that YOU can do to make the smilies easier to see, by just shrinking your browser window. Otherwise I have no idea what your sentence is referring to.

poo poo I quoted the wrong thing, that was wrt making posting in the current forum impossible but still being able to navigate to it from the old forum

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Without a quote I'm not sure which person is saying that now but that conversation has repeated a few times already.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, no migration. Start anew with empty forums and subforums. A blank slate. All threads start from scratch.

I'm not joking; keep the links to the old threads working but don't bother listing them on the new platform. Now the migration challenge is gone and the only challenge is to choose a generic forum software and host and configure it to your liking.

Grump posted:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Same, it's nice to see not only effort and progress but also some reaching out for advice, considering we have entire subforums full of resident career programmers to whom this stuff is a piece of cake compared to what they normally help each other with
Then you’d be hosting 2 sites and you’d be paying for an exponential amount more for all that new server traffic.

What we should do is have everyone memorize their posts and be sure to remake them on Xenforo.

I had a response already but again by not quoting the right person, no one could tell what I was referring to. To top it off Grump quoted the wrong post of mine too. This entire conversation topic has been a big comedy of errors.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If there were a new forum platform called "the new SomethingAwful location" hosted somewhere with a ton of completely empty subforums laid out in the same way, they'd fill up pretty fast with new threads and people from here would pretty much know what to do. Having the existing threads there wouldn't add much value, even less so over time (they might as well slip into archives once the new place is filled up with new threads).

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yeah you'd still be paying to host the old software at the old links concurrently with the new but you're paying to host the old stuff right now anyway. Traffic would split between them as people either want to see an old thread or a new one, they wouldn't do both simultaneously. I don't know what this "exponential increase" nonsense is with the traffic costs of running both platforms concurrently for a little while.

All the more reason to move to a completely new platform where quoting works in a more modern way -- more integrated with the viewer, harder to misinterpret, and harder to miss notifications of.

There's something to the "branching tree" nested replies model that helps capture some of the cases where conversations can go in circles unbeknownst to people, but the reddit model sure as hell should not be imitated for a number of reasons.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 17, 2018

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

All the more reason to move to a completely new platform where quoting works in a more modern way that's more integrated with the viewer and harder to misinterpret or miss notification of!
But the thing is, nested inside nested inside nested inside nested quotes suck.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

poo poo I quoted the wrong thing, that was wrt making posting in the current forum impossible but still being able to navigate to it from the old forum

By far most of the activity will be in the new system, though, in that scenario. Lowtax can possibly gauge the relative traffic by comparing current to archives traffic, and I would be shocked if archives make up more than 10% of it, and surprised if over 5%. Once everyone copies over their super important megathread mega-OPs and the new system populates with enough threads, traffic on the then-old forums will drop off to approximately the same level archives use currently.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Lowtax posted:

Yeah they do suck. There's no right answer. Both the "nest replies infinite times" and "nest replies zero times" models make different tasks hard to do in a conversation. I've been racking my brain for a better solution for a long time. One of the projects on my backburner is a prototype for a forum visualizer that groups posts both spatially and chronologically -- turning each record of a post quoting another into an edge in a graph, and rearranging where the posts are drawn such that it minimizes average edge length. Somehow draw that while still clearly marking where the tail of the conversation currently is - the most recent posts. Not sure what it will be like but I'll try it soon.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lowtax posted:

Ya I agree. Nested quoting becomes unreadable at point as well. I haven't really had a problem with SA quoting, and the reading by clicking someone name to go back a quote doesn't really bother me.

• Locked thread