Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AnEdgelord posted:

This seems like a very good card just on its face. Pumps up dudes (potentially out of range of those late chainwhirlers), reanimates your weaker creatures (that may have been killed by the early chainwhirlers) and despite his ultimate making 1/1s the fact that it makes new ones every turn means they can't ever deal with your boardstate pemanently.

We're headed to Ravnica, so

Illness in the Ranks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sickening posted:

If Tom Ross tells me a card is good, I believe him. I don't know if this is him telling us its good or that he tried to make the card work because its a very tom ross type card.

I like that it needs early drop support but can add to the board whether your early drops lived or not.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Matsuri posted:

New Ajani looks good. Not exciting by any means, but good.

This seems to be my reaction to most new Walkers. They seem to rapidly be running out of ideas for new unique abilities.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

keratinous scutes posted:

We're headed to Ravnica, so

Illness in the Ranks

I doubt we see more token hosers with Chainwhirler in the format. Plus that card was printed to kill lingering souls which is far and away better than every standard token generator.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Needless to say my kid got saucer eyed at that ultimate. :3:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Needless to say my kid got saucer eyed at that ultimate. :3:

If I somehow open any out of prize packs your kid can have them.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

This seems to be my reaction to most new Walkers. They seem to rapidly be running out of ideas for new unique abilities.

I think we'll start seeing reprint Plansewalkers in Standard by the end of next year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Maybe it's a form of caution.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

I think we'll start seeing reprint Plansewalkers in Standard by the end of next year.

3 of the original Lorwyn 5 would be good enough for just about any standard (Garruk, Jace, Ajani). Liliana has about 5 better versions, although she did see standard play a couple of times. Original Ajani is probably not the best in any format with chainwhirler, but gently caress chainwhirler.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Catching up on GP Vegas videos...someone gets 2 Hollow Ones and a Jackal in play on turn 1...and lost.

Modern is good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boco_T posted:

Play Design is going to be cool if we get to see tweets like this going forward:
http://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/1008123913812037632

Okay this Ajani definitely costed 1WW at some point. The card isn't strong enough at 4 mana with those abilities - that -2 isn't particularly impressive for a four mana planeswalker and the + only really matters if you've already established a board presence.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
That round 14 time walk match had a weird moment in game three, a player picked up the wrong cards (different color sleeves) while resolving a burning inquiry and looked at them as though they were his hand after his opponent had put the picked stack in the graveyard. They called a judge and he just got a warning. That seems a little crazy considering how much advantage in a match you would get from knowing exactly what is in your opponent’s hand. I don’t think it was intentional but I feel like that is a situation where a warning is not enough.

Thoughts?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

That round 14 time walk match had a weird moment in game three, a player picked up the wrong cards (different color sleeves) while resolving a burning inquiry and looked at them as though they were his hand after his opponent had put the picked stack in the graveyard. They called a judge and he just got a warning. That seems a little crazy considering how much advantage in a match you would get from knowing exactly what is in your opponent’s hand. I don’t think it was intentional but I feel like that is a situation where a warning is not enough.

Thoughts?

What did the player have to say? "I thought it was my hand", "I thought it was my discarded cards", or "I thought it was my opponent's discarded cards"? Only the first two are valid - they should not be handling the opponent's cards even if they're the discarded ones, so...

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

What did the player have to say? "I thought it was my hand", "I thought it was my discarded cards", or "I thought it was my opponent's discarded cards"? Only the first two are valid - they should not be handling the opponent's cards even if they're the discarded ones, so...

Downside is that it was time walk so we have zero information - would be interesting to hear specifics though, seems like a really ridiculous / silly judge call to have.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellsau posted:

Okay this Ajani definitely costed 1WW at some point. The card isn't strong enough at 4 mana with those abilities - that -2 isn't particularly impressive for a four mana planeswalker and the + only really matters if you've already established a board presence.

I doubt that just because there's already a 1WW Ajani with the same +1.

If it ever did cost 1WW, the first ability must have either been exactly the same or completely different.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ajani buys back snapcaster. :getin:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want to put Ajani in an Abzan constrictor list and make big dumb dudes and reanimate sneks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnEdgelord posted:

This seems like a very good card just on its face. Pumps up dudes (potentially out of range of those late chainwhirlers), reanimates your weaker creatures (that may have been killed by the early chainwhirlers) and despite his ultimate making 1/1s the fact that it makes new ones every turn means they can't ever deal with your boardstate pemanently.

It doesn’t do anything unless you have creatures out and even then only gets full value if you have multiples. The minus does nothing unless you have a specific type of creature in the yard. It doesn’t seem good to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

Ajani buys back snapcaster. :getin:

There’s already an instant that does that and other things for the same CMC and it’s stone unplayable.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

It doesn’t do anything unless you have creatures out and even then only gets full value if you have multiples. The minus does nothing unless you have a specific type of creature in the yard. It doesn’t seem good to me.

I think you are overstating how restrictive the minus is as there are plenty of decks that would be perfectly fine working within this restriction (like a theoretical Abzan Constrictor), but I see your point about the plus. It feels like something that wants to be slotted into an existing deck rather than something you build around if its going to be played at all.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

There’s already an instant that does that and other things for the same CMC and it’s stone unplayable.

Ok but nothing could make me hornier than saying "-2 Ajani targeting Baleful Strix" please don't take this from me.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
T2 baleful, trade w/ their idiot nerd, T4 start rubbin on my junk and get my strix back and do it all again.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I don't get it either, it feels worse than Ajani Goldmane as the top end of your aggressive white deck. If I was a slower midrange deck, I'd rather have Karn. I don't see what niche this fills. Also the -2 isn't exciting at all. Claim//Fame has had that ability for B in standard and it hasn't seen any play whatsoever. If it was the Unearth/Sun Titan 3 cmc ability I could see it bringing back some jadelight rangers, but it just doesn't feel powerful enough. Also for an ability I expect never to get to, the ultimate isn't even that powerful.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the 8 whack dream is dead. i am dead. cannot believe how badly channel fireball conspired to ensure i would not win.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the 8 whack dream is dead. i am dead. cannot believe how badly channel fireball conspired to ensure i would not win.

quick give all the other players one million dollars each to drop

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

black potus posted:

Ok but nothing could make me hornier than saying "-2 Ajani targeting Baleful Strix" please don't take this from me.

Baleful Strix in M19 to go into Bolas.dec.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/TheManaSource/status/1008155688856535040

No worries. (why were those tweets censored, it's not like Wedge isn't a well-known name here and it's publicly posted lol)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 17, 2018

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So Humans is pretty good

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Does anyone know if there's an official ruling about whether you can have multiple Rat Colonies in your deck in a singleton event? Consensus seems to be that it's permitted in Commander, but I don't know if that carries over to "regular" singleton.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Krark-Clan Ironworks is a cool deck, and I already have most of it from when I played Trading Post and another large chunk because I built a bad Tron deck years ago. Now to look up how much four Mox Opals will cost me and sprain my neck from a comical double-take!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

Now to look up how much four Mox Opals will cost me and sprain my neck from a comical double-take!

Gonna guess roughly $320-480, depending where you buy it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I think you guys are undervaluing the new Ajani. I'm not saying it's like bonkers or anything but it's very reasonable for a 4cmc walker imo

Anyway who wants to beat up on the reddecks in standard all day? I do:

4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Kitesail Freebooter
2 Walking Ballista
4 Ammit Eternal
4 Dread Shade
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
1 Josu Vess, Lich Knight
1 Ravenous Chupacabra

2 Karn, Scion of Urza
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty

3 Fatal Push
2 Cast Down
2 Vraska's Contempt
1 Mastermind's Acquisition

21 Swamp
4 Cabal Stronghold

Side
3 Duress
1 Doomfall
2 Aethersphere Harvester
1 Ravenous Chupacabra
1 Noxious Gearhulk
1 Torment of Hailfire
1 Cast Down
1 Fatal Push
4 Knight of Malice

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Jaqk posted:

Does anyone know if there's an official ruling about whether you can have multiple Rat Colonies in your deck in a singleton event? Consensus seems to be that it's permitted in Commander, but I don't know if that carries over to "regular" singleton.

The card text always wins, hence why Gleemox is banned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The new Ajani seems bad. There are going to be situations where you play him out and he does literally nothing... You can't have a planeswalker that could do that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ajani is yet another card that's almost good enough for Death and Taxes but just isn't because nothing is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Ajani is yet another card that's almost good enough for Death and Taxes but just isn't because nothing is.

Isn't Gideon 4 seeing sporadic D&T play?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

The new Ajani seems bad. There are going to be situations where you play him out and he does literally nothing... You can't have a planeswalker that could do that.
He seems entirely like a sideboard card for a different Standard format. That's not a bad thing, I guess.

But then, yeah, why not Karn?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

'Cause the bar is so high, and/or because the deck sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Isn't Gideon 4 seeing sporadic D&T play?

He's not very good but people put him in their sideboard to beat Miracles which is a deck they never really needed a planeswalker to beat anyway.