Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Should we include gyro aiming tips in the OP? It would be a good resource for people who are learning them, and we've been getting a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The vitrol between Pearl and Marina during the splatfest announcement was loving intense. :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cannot stop hearing “PUSSY, PUSSY, DROWN YOURSELF IN PUSSY” in the music that’s playing during the Octo endgame bit

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I cannot stop hearing “PUSSY, PUSSY, DROWN YOURSELF IN PUSSY” in the music that’s playing during the Octo endgame bit

Pearl and Marina are dating, so,

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Escobarbarian posted:

Shark Bytes is the best song in Splatoon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Acid Hues is the best song in Splatoon.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Finally managed to beat the secret boss earlier today, after spending at least 10 hours running my head against it. It's still a really neat fight, and I wish there were more fights like it in the single player, both Octo Canyon and Deep Sea Metro.

Takoluka posted:

Shark Bytes is the best song in Splatoon.

I don't know if I'd say it's the best song in Splatoon, but it's definitely the best song in the expansion.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Just chiming in to say I love the Octo Expansion and everything about it. The story, the challenge, the length and the music. It's all literally great thanks for reading

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

g0lbez posted:

Just chiming in to say I love the Octo Expansion and everything about it. The story, the challenge, the length and the music. It's all literally great thanks for reading

I think it may be the best dlc Nintendo has done and that’s saying something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do you change Motion Controls sensitivity? And what do you recommend for a beginner?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

RatHat posted:

How do you change Motion Controls sensitivity? And what do you recommend for a beginner?

Just keep setting it higher and higher as you get used to it. I have mine set to max when I'm using handheld mode and around 3-4ish when I'm on TV mode (so I don't get motion sickness)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alongside all the Octo Expansion hype I just wanna say that Wahoo World is flipping sweet, now that I've got to play it on most of the modes. I especially like rainmaker on it, the rotational shifts can be huge in individual firefights which makes matches pretty dynamic, beyond just like binary decisions on routes to push the rainmaker.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
First time using the sloshing machine online, first time with octoling girl online, first time losing with this combination, naturally:

:negative:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Losing a handful of matches in X Rank produces an unrecoverable slope for me. Idk why, but after losing like 3 matches, suddenly, I go on a losing streak where none of the matches are fun losses and every game just sucks poo poo, and I'm probably gonna get knocked out of TC X. But I play like crap in SZ X but because I'm still in a high enough rank everyone else is godlike and it doesn't matter. The people in like 1900-2050 in X Rank are worse than the people in S+5-9, it's interesting.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
So what would happen if there's an octoling who's a good person and isn't in the army but doesn't like the Inkantation? Would Cuttlefish still have them killed? I mean magic song or no not everyone's into J-pop.

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress grizzco slosher

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh poo poo is Tentacle Difficulties. Nintendo throwing out every curveball rn

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

This thing sucks

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The last hour of the DLC was so good :derp:

Also this Salmon Run set sure is something.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

grizzco slosher verdict: Very Bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Weird rear end weapon

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

In Training posted:

Losing a handful of matches in X Rank produces an unrecoverable slope for me. Idk why, but after losing like 3 matches, suddenly, I go on a losing streak where none of the matches are fun losses and every game just sucks poo poo, and I'm probably gonna get knocked out of TC X. But I play like crap in SZ X but because I'm still in a high enough rank everyone else is godlike and it doesn't matter. The people in like 1900-2050 in X Rank are worse than the people in S+5-9, it's interesting.

The way the ranking and matchmaking system is set up tends to match you with people who are on a similar winning or losing streak. So if you're on fire one day and decide to stop playing, when you start the game up again the next day you'll be at the same rank playing against the same "on fire" players even if you're not playing as good that day.

You end up dropping ranks, maybe get frustrated and stop playing, pick up the game the next day and you're up against people who were probably on a similar losing streak meaning you curb stomp until you rank up and start the cycle over again.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also the grizz slosher can kill flyfish

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Okay I just discovered there's a ride the squeegee level. I take back everything I said about the expansion and I'm uninstalling it and issuing a chargeback immediately.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

g0lbez posted:

Also the grizz slosher can kill flyfish

Omg

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Harrow posted:

I can't wrap my head around the gyro aiming for the life of me. Only using it to move up and down just feels super awkward to me, especially because it disables the right stick's ability to move the camera up and down.

That's not how it works. You're only supposed to aim with gyro, both vertically and horizontally. The stick is for broad movements, not for aiming.

Your stick sensitivity should be pretty high cause it's only meant to let you turn around without flailing your arms like a crazy person. So for instance if there's a guy to your right you'll want to turn that way with the right stick and then, once you're looking in their general direction, you can aim with the gyro.

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 17, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Octo Expansion Opinion Roundup:

Extremely to Unbelievably Good DLC. Blasted through the whole thing in a day and a half, which I didn't really mean to do, but I was just having so much fun and didn't want to stop.

Most of the levels were pretty good, and a few of them were hella excellent. There were, however, a few absolute irredeemable stinkers. Everyone involved in Defend the Orb should never work in videogames again. Also the no-checkpoint ride-rail target-sniping missions can die in a fire. I'm also not really sure what they were thinking with the complete an entire multiplayer map by yourself rooms but they weren't too bad in the end.

8-balls and datapoints on weird rotating stages were the highlights from the test chambers. A couple of the boss remixes were pretty fun too. The IM logs were gold. All of the music was great. Iso Padre looks like Dr Eggman. Why am I the only one who sees this.

It rules when the standout high-point of a game is the ending, and the standout high-point of Octo Expansion absolutely is the ending. Holy poo poo. I grinned like a big dumb idiot for the entire last hour of the game. It was fun, inventive, and climactic, and also an enormous, prolonged Metal Gear Solid 2 reference.

The bonus boss is an enormous rear end in a top hat and they're lucky the BGM is so bangin' because otherwise I would have become one with the incandescent rage.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

what are you guys talking about, i just blew up a drizzler and flyfish through their armor with the grizzco slosher, this thing is awesome

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, after playing with it more I take back my previous statement. Piercing boss armor is huge

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I believe it goes through Steel Eel barriers, too, but it's hard to confirm because of all the chaos. The slow projectile just makes it hard to aim from a distance, you need to anticipate where things will be waaaay in advance to take them out.

I think I've found one issue with the Octo Expansion: Octolings are too drat quiet. I can barely hear them over the cacophony in Salmon Run, but Inklings can be heard just fine.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Woah that bonus boss was absolutely brutal especially considering the hardest phase BY FAR was the fifth and final one. I really enjoyed it though that's probably because I beat it in about 10 mins and didn't have time to rage out

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gonna be frank with this Splatfest’s choices; if you choose pulp over no pulp there is something physical, quantifiably wrong with you. Like your brain is wired so unpleasant tactile things feel good to you like feeling pulp in your mouth or rubbing your face with sand paper

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

g0lbez posted:

Okay I just discovered there's a ride the squeegee level. I take back everything I said about the expansion and I'm uninstalling it and issuing a chargeback immediately.

I feel you, but it actually works way better than those parts in the base single-player

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Man, gently caress that superboss. It's not like being faster and having infinite dodge rolls with no penalty and having infinite specials and a longer range weapon and Wolverine's healing factor aren't enough, I'm pretty sure it also has a gently caress-you button that breaks your shield and covers your screen in vaseline with a single shot. Threw myself at that piece of poo poo for like 2 hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat the super boss on my first try.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

well la-dee-da

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The little boxes or whatever in the arena are your friend. Use them for cover like constantly, they block splashdowns and autobomb explosions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, I can get to the fifth phase pretty consistently, just that every goddamn time he breaks my armor in like one shot and then starts super jumping and I'm hosed because I can't move fast enough to get out of range.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel you, but it actually works way better than those parts in the base single-player

Yeah, the industrial Squee Gees are awful in Hero Mode 2, but they're really not that bad in Octo Expansion. They only show up once, and there's not much room for them to go utterly off the rails and not listen to you at all. And the game points out this time, bombs are a much more effective way of controlling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

raditts posted:

Yeah, I can get to the fifth phase pretty consistently, just that every goddamn time he breaks my armor in like one shot and then starts super jumping and I'm hosed because I can't move fast enough to get out of range.

Exactly why you stay near cover. The entire battle I didn't have any particular strategy but on the fifth phase you need to be right next to something to duck behind at pretty much a moments notice.