Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Labyrinth Lord all in one book up on Kickstarter. It's for a print on demand version, so I assume you pay rpgnow too.

Advanced Labyrinth Lord, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895361773/advanced-labyrinth-lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
That's been a long time in the making.

I wonder if the text is getting a clean-up. I started with LL, and I found it a bit clumsy at times in terms of wording.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

alg posted:

Cool, got both your addresses. Will send on Monday

Thanks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tenkar is now promoting Macris' new Kickstarter and deleting comments about his views

alg fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 18, 2018

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
extremely apolitical. "Information on that topic, and arguments on it's validity or lack thereof, is readily available in many places already. There's no reason it needs to be covered again here." thanks comment-poster, it's important that the neutrality of tenkar's tavern not be violated by mentioning that the promoted work is by the ceo of literally "milo inc"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

extremely apolitical. "Information on that topic, and arguments on it's validity or lack thereof, is readily available in many places already. There's no reason it needs to be covered again here." thanks comment-poster, it's important that the neutrality of tenkar's tavern not be violated by mentioning that the promoted work is by the ceo of literally "milo inc"

Tenkar just made an insane manbaby rant podcast about it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the fuuuuuuck

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Just pulled the trigger on buying the Dark of Hot Springs Island. This will be the first hex crawl I've ever run - any tips or resources y'all would recommend for hexcrawl sessions? Any crucial ways they diverge from other adventuring structures?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lexicon of the Throne

Verdict? Still reading, but I'm impressed so far. There's a whole lot of design notes, which I appreciate. He does a good thing where he urges GMs to be very careful with the (new) Word of Desire, too.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I created an Excel 2016 sheet a while back that allowed a DM/GM to generate random HP totals for creatures based on their HD and track them as combat progressed. It only works I think with Excel 2016 since it uses VBA Macro script, but I figured I'd post it here since I had posted it in one of the DCC Facebook groups.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1Kl9PFcmpDI6CJ72aW9P85fsMFxw-O9No

I am an Excel Newbie so apologies if it breaks suddenly.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Just pulled the trigger on buying the Dark of Hot Springs Island. This will be the first hex crawl I've ever run - any tips or resources y'all would recommend for hexcrawl sessions? Any crucial ways they diverge from other adventuring structures?

The main thing about hexcrawls is that they take the general old-school idea of player-directed adventuring to its limit. You absolutely need to make sure your players are aware that they are the ones driving the game, and that if they sit around waiting for "stuff to happen" or some NPC to tell them what to do, there mostly won't be a game. Some hexcrawls have regional events, often time-tracked (e.g. "on day 20, Zorgnar finishes assembling his horde and begins to move south"), but generally the "module" is out there in the hexes, waiting for the players to come to it. You need players with initiative, but even then they need to be aware of the structure of what you're giving them.

As for you, the GM, it's on you to have thoroughly read the crawl in order to understand the factions at play, so that you can dynamically improvise content once the players do start exploring. Something like Hot Springs Island is good about providing info on how to do this with each hex; others are a bit vaguer. But you need to be thinking of things like, "The players have now clearly allied with faction X; what is faction Y's response going to be?"; "They've drained the rejuvenation pool in Hex 14; who's pissed off by that?", etc.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I created an Excel 2016 sheet a while back that allowed a DM/GM to generate random HP totals for creatures based on their HD and track them as combat progressed. It only works I think with Excel 2016 since it uses VBA Macro script, but I figured I'd post it here since I had posted it in one of the DCC Facebook groups.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1Kl9PFcmpDI6CJ72aW9P85fsMFxw-O9No

I am an Excel Newbie so apologies if it breaks suddenly.

Just tried this on Excel 2013 and it works great. Thanks!

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Xotl posted:

Just tried this on Excel 2013 and it works great. Thanks!

Excellent! I tried my best to keep references in the code as detailed as possible, especially with ranges.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

dwarf74 posted:

Lexicon of the Throne

Verdict? Still reading, but I'm impressed so far. There's a whole lot of design notes, which I appreciate. He does a good thing where he urges GMs to be very careful with the (new) Word of Desire, too.

I appreciate the similar sidebar on the Madness word, which more games that touch on that sort of thing could use.

And yeah, Lexicon's interesting. I like the concept words. I suspect one of my players may take Faerie Queen and my own homebrewed Goblin Word and just play David Bowie as Jareth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Our group rolled up characters in Roll 20. That took a while . The DCC game is gonna be our go to game when someone is going to miss that weeks session possibily so we can still game that night.

Could I have a suggestion for a easy to run and very fun 0 level module.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sailors on the Starless Sea is really the best

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Hollismason posted:

Our group rolled up characters in Roll 20. That took a while . The DCC game is gonna be our go to game when someone is going to miss that weeks session possibily so we can still game that night.

Could I have a suggestion for a easy to run and very fun 0 level module.

Seconding Sailors on the Starless Sea, but i've also run Portal Under the Stars from the core book a few times now when I needed a funnel that runs shorter. Sailors seems to take my groups two sessions minimum, but Portal has always been a one and done. It is simple, but polishes up nicely if you add ties to your campaign world.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

alg posted:

Sailors on the Starless Sea is really the best

Yeah, it's this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Godbound Talk!

So we finished up the first ... well, it's a sandbox, can I really call it an adventure? I will do it anyway. Adventure ... of our Godbound campaign. And because Lexicon of the Throne just came out, I told my players they could change things around to take one of the new Words so long as it was adjacent to their character concept.

* Our Fire/Earth/Luck godbound dropped Luck and is now a Dragon. He very much likes being a dragon, to a rather surprising extent. It's a really, really good Word, though I explained to him that there's not much miracle possibility.
* Our Health/Passion/Sky peace-loving godbound dropped Sky and switched to Protection, which is way more his 'thing' anyway.
* Finally, our Knowledge/Endurance/Bow godbound decided to drop Bow and pick up the Luck that the new dragon just dropped.

We're more or less retconning everything.

ANYWAY! They saved the village they were in by - in effect - giving a horde of Uncreated an entire ruined/abandoned city. Which solved their immediate problem but created another big one. They are not sure they can handle an Uncreated of the Shackled Court due to their 3-point Cold Breath, so they went off to find an artifact that can suppress the Cold Breath. I have a vague outline (thanks, Kev, for those random tables) where a Knight Glorificant has set (something) against a Zealot of some sort, but it has turned back on him with dire consequences. I guess I will fill in those blanks today.

Godbound good so far.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Can you explain Godbound? I keep hearing "Exalted" raised when people talk about it, which is pretty much the polar opposite of old-school style, but it keeps being raised in an OSR context, so I'm really curious as to how it squares that circle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xotl posted:

Can you explain Godbound? I keep hearing "Exalted" raised when people talk about it, which is pretty much the polar opposite of old-school style, but it keeps being raised in an OSR context, so I'm really curious as to how it squares that circle.
"OSR Exalted" is pretty close, actually.

The rules are free. Check em out. Be sure to read the (short) rules section, though, because hit points mean something different than you might expect.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/185959

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's OSR in that it uses the same rules framework as Crawford's other games, and it's explicitly designed for hexcrawls.

Practically speaking, the power level of the characters precludes most logistical concerns, if that matters to you, and more crucially, you cannot just send a Godbound party off to White Plume Mountain if you want White Plume Mountain to remain standing.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just played my first game of DCC. The level 0 funnel was hard for me to get into. I didn't like the idea of playing four characters at once. It made role-playing difficult.

Is that something I just get used to? When it was described to me I imagined you rolled four characters and introduced them to the party after another character expired.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

lemonslol posted:

I just played my first game of DCC. The level 0 funnel was hard for me to get into. I didn't like the idea of playing four characters at once. It made role-playing difficult.

Is that something I just get used to? When it was described to me I imagined you rolled four characters and introduced them to the party after another character expired.

Your characters are nobodies until they make 1st level. You're not really supposed to get attached to them until they level up and become someone.

I suppose you could roleplay them in the funnel but they are basically shitfarmers thrust into a bad situation, not heroes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

lemonslol posted:

When it comes to 0 Level Funnels you actually don't want to put too much effort into role-playing as most of your characters will probably die during the adventure, you'll be putting your focus on the character who survives that to become a Level 1 character with an actual class

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks yall
So if I were running DCC for a group of people who had never played before, the first session would be to get used to the system?

What happens after the first adventure and the players are left with one character each? How does the actual picking of a class take place?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

However you want, you just level up to 1 in the class you desire

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
DCC is not a game designed for serious role-acting. Heck; I think the game's intro says as much, if I'm not mistaken.

This is not to say you can't do it, but you really shouldn't during the Level 0 funnel.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol I mean it's good to give some personality to your pawns, that will make it a little funnier or more horrifying when they're brutally killed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
gotta look forward to that sniveling baker getting his just desserts

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Treat your stable of 5 level 0s like the seven dwarves. Give them like one or two fun traits just to keep the story interesting. Then when you pick the character to play as after the funnel, flesh them out more.

I would also recommend having your players play their five characters like a "squad" with a leader. Having all characters act totally independently will take forever.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Speaking of Dungeon Crawl Classics, I just picked up the rulebook and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of GM advice in it. What would be a good resource for things like dungeon and wilderness creation and stocking for a DCC game?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This might be a weird question, but here seems like the best place to ask.

Is there a lite version of AD&D I can use to run 2e modules without having to make my players learn AD&D or converting the module into PF or whatever?

I'm specifically thinking of something like how MET boiled WoD rules into Rock Scissors Paper, for example. Just a quick, abbreviated engine that converts more-or-less on the fly.

I'm currently leaning towards Shadow of the Demon Lord, but if there's something more suited I'd love to know about it.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Lumbermouth posted:

Speaking of Dungeon Crawl Classics, I just picked up the rulebook and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of GM advice in it. What would be a good resource for things like dungeon and wilderness creation and stocking for a DCC game?

Just discovered DCC recently (thanks to this thread), and I'm currently listening to the back catalogue of the Spell Burn podcast during mini painting time. They seem to have a lot of good tips for DCC and RPGs in general. They design a monster from scratch every episode. I haven't heard an episode specifically dealing with hex crawls yet but there's probably one in there somewhere.

As someone just starting to delve into OSR in general and Dungeon Crawl Classics specifically I have no idea if some of the people involved eventually pull a heel turn into chud-land. But its certainly inspired me to sign up for some DCC events at GenCon this year.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Adventurers Almanac, monster and dungeon alphabet contain a lot of stuff for DCC (and any OSR game really) as does Writing Adventure Modules That Don't Suck. But I use the wildernessrl rules from Rules Compendiumif I need them.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

moths posted:

Is there a lite version of AD&D I can use to run 2e modules without having to make my players learn AD&D or converting the module into PF or whatever?

I'm specifically thinking of something like how MET boiled WoD rules into Rock Scissors Paper, for example. Just a quick, abbreviated engine that converts more-or-less on the fly.

AD&D 2e is pretty modular; you can cut out a solid 3/4 of the rules (NWP, initiative, multi/dual-classing, multiattacks, all of the special magic stuff) and it still ticks along just fine. In fact, so long as you have the class tables and the THAC0/Saves handy you can pretty much run any adventure using the Basic/RC rules. At higher levels it gets more complicated but don't be afraid to cut out what doesn't work for your group.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It didn't even occur to me to use Basic/RC! But yeah that's more or less perfect, thanks.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

moths posted:

I'm currently leaning towards Shadow of the Demon Lord, but if there's something more suited I'd love to know about it.
I'm currently reading Heroic Fantasy, a very D&D-like fantasy game based on The Black Hack. It was designed to emulate old versions of D&D and it has super-simple monster rules; A monster is one line containing name, HD, HP, and potential damage with minor and main attacks. Then another line describing the monster i.e. "Grelkin warriors usually attack twice with their blades for 1d8, but if they hit with both attacks they'll groinkick for an addtional 1d6 damage".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That also sounds fun. Well there went $6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

alg posted:

Tenkar is now promoting Macris' new Kickstarter and deleting comments about his views

alg posted:

Tenkar just made an insane manbaby rant podcast about it.

Stop. Please.

Anyway, I just pledged to said Kickstarter. Sakkara is an excellent KotB clone, and this should be good too. Threw in for Advanced LL but I might just drop that and get S&W instead...I hate Descending armor class.

There was a post here about LotFP's new rules.

I'm conflicted on them. There's nothing wrong with changing poo poo up, LotFP is a pretty "old" system and Raggi's admitted he's bored of it a little bit. There's a lot of ODD in it, but I dunno how much I like some of the changes