Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh, characters can drop from boxes? Maybe I should hold off blowing all my green coins then.

Game's fun in any case! Tried out Doomguy when he was free and punching people to death was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I also liked Doomguy a lot but I just couldn't get used to the double jump in Quake. It was like trying to ride one of bicycles with the backward steering wheel.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Finally got to try some TDM with some goons and it was a lot of fun!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

What exactly caused this surge in popularity? I've seen patches that fix netcode for other games in the past and it didn't lead to a surge in playercounts like this at all...

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Love Stole the Day posted:

What exactly caused this surge in popularity? I've seen patches that fix netcode for other games in the past and it didn't lead to a surge in playercounts like this at all...

The free2play announcement that happened at E3 a few days ago.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I thought that screen meant the servers were down.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Checked out game because of the free promo. Sure has heck feels like quake. Kinda tempted to buy the early access back so I don't have to worry about unlocking the other champs but also wondering if I'll even end up using half of them. :v:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Oxyclean posted:

Checked out game because of the free promo. Sure has heck feels like quake. Kinda tempted to buy the early access back so I don't have to worry about unlocking the other champs but also wondering if I'll even end up using half of them. :v:

I liked getting to try them all, even though I mostly use only a few. And I like the game, so I was happy to pay a little to help development.

EDIT: I can tell you that I wouldn't have found out that Doomslayer is far and away my favorite if I hadn't been able to try them all.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 17, 2018

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When did they change all the armour and health values to be the same across the board? Last time I played certain characters were tankier than others.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
They did that a couple times actually, especially with Clutch. He got a lot of tweaking after every patch. Right now, he's great.

I do like how they super charged health/armor for each character indavidually while keeping their default values. Helps a lot getting things going and not die immediately from one rocket.

Speaking of rockets, both rockets and lighning rays got the right sort of tweaking to keep every gun viable. Couple patches back people didn't even want to use tri-bolt even if their life depended on it. That thing was uber trash.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I actually got a lot of tri-bolt kills in my games today. Amazing. The weapon went from useless to great.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I liked getting to try them all, even though I mostly use only a few. And I like the game, so I was happy to pay a little to help development.

EDIT: I can tell you that I wouldn't have found out that Doomslayer is far and away my favorite if I hadn't been able to try them all.

Said gently caress it and threw my money away. Doomguy is pretty rad, did a solo match and made someone complain in chat.

I guess I can spend all my favor on backpacks now?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wait, you guys got to try all of them? :argh:

Months ago I got a Steam key for the pre-F2P version from Humble Monthly that only included Blowjobovitz and Quake Guy. My roster options didn't expand this weekend except for getting Scale-bear-guy for playing the tutorial.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Wait, you guys got to try all of them? :argh:

Months ago I got a Steam key for the pre-F2P version from Humble Monthly that only included Blowjobovitz and Quake Guy. My roster options didn't expand this weekend except for getting Scale-bear-guy for playing the tutorial.
They're talking about having bought the Champion's Pack. I believe they just opened the doors to the F2P version on Steam, only giving people Ranger, Scalebearer and the Free Guy Of The Week Or Month Or Whatever.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gunder posted:

When did they change all the armour and health values to be the same across the board? Last time I played certain characters were tankier than others.
This very patch they classified all champs as light/medium/heavy. Everyone has the same health pool (spawn 125, anything over 100 ticks down, 175 max overheal from mega or abilities).

Armor pools vary by "class:"
Light 0 spawn, 50 max, 125 "overstack" cap
Medium 50 / 100 / 175
Heavy 100 / 150 / 225

Champions by class:
Light: Anarki, Nyx, Slash
Medium: BJ Blazkowicz, Doom Slayer, Galena, Ranger, Strogg, Visor
Heavy: Clutch, Keel, Scalebearer, Sorlag

Armor or health over the "max" value for your class ticks down towards your max.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Looking forward to CTF, as I think having the different characters will make for some interesting strategies and plays.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have picked up this game thanks to the free giveaway and am very much enjoying shooting people's feet with rockets while bhopping at them. Look forward to more exciting updates when I learn how to aim with the railgun.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Tace Vim posted:

Looking forward to CTF, as I think having the different characters will make for some interesting strategies and plays.

:agreed:

For me, though, Instagib Freeze Tag and Rocket Arena will be all I ever do in this game when they come out.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Tace Vim posted:

There was definitely some cool stuff when sacrifice was still alive. You would see scalebearer and doomguy on offensive a lot capping the soul because of their active ability. Lot's of slash and galena's on defense. I miss it and can't wait for a real team mode to return!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Important update: I'm still poo poo with the railgun and I think I probably will be for the rest of time. Game's still fun though! I got second place in a deathmatch!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Important update: I'm still poo poo with the railgun and I think I probably will be for the rest of time. Game's still fun though! I got second place in a deathmatch!

Protip: vote corrupted keep during the map vote because it doesn't have the rail gun. You can't be poo poo with a gun that doesn't exist right? :smug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm loving this game way more than the UT alpha so far. Honestly I could keep playing ranger forever, telefragging people is fuckin awesome.

I've had some good games too, there must be a bunch of arena virgins playing because I'm actually winning.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm loving this game way more than the UT alpha so far. Honestly I could keep playing ranger forever, telefragging people is fuckin awesome.

I've had some good games too, there must be a bunch of arena virgins playing because I'm actually winning.

The player count jumped from around 500 to 15,000 so there are definately more newbies in the mix

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Tace Vim posted:

:hai:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why are abilities on in instagib

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why wouldn't they be?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Play IG with strogg, press F, collect tears

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am loving this game too, but I am concerned that it is too thin to hold my interest for long. It needs more modes for sure.

Is there a roadmap I can read somewhere? Do you know when to expect CTF?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am loving this game too, but I am concerned that it is too thin to hold my interest for long. It needs more modes for sure.

Is there a roadmap I can read somewhere? Do you know when to expect CTF?
They talk about stuff they're working on on developer livestreams every couple of months or so.

As far as stuff we know about, whether due to developer comment or leaks:
  • CTF is planned for sometime this year.
  • The PTS had a bunch of unfinished weapon skins that weren't supposed to be attainable, like the Quake 2 Super Shotgun, those'll probably be gradually released in patches.
  • Two more characters are known to be close to release, Athena and Death Knight. The latter was teased for like one frame at the end of the E3 trailer.

I'd be surprised if QuakeCon in August didn't at least give a first look at CTF. Athena will probably be released alongside it, since her power is a big reference to Quake 2 CTF. If they're teasing Death Knight now, he'll probably be released reasonably soon?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My red smear at the bottom of the Sunday night scoreboard already misses the influx of players from the past few days. Steam says there's 10 hours left on the free weekend, but it seems to be dropping back down to people unlike me who can actually track targets constantly.

Makes me cry: "Bads, join me at the bottom so we can accidentally kill each other!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

Play IG with strogg, press F, collect SUKA BLYATS

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IG with abilities feels a bit goofy. I got a few nice streaks with Doom guy but I think that was mostly because I was playing with people who couldn't aim well. I got stomped pretty hard a match later where I became the person who couldn't aim.

They should add the heretic guy (Covus) and make tome of power his ability.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

They should add the heretic guy (Covus) and make tome of power his ability.

As cool as that would be, Heretic and Hexen were developed by Raven Software (which was later acquired by Activision).

Commander Keen occasionally gets mentioned in rumors but I don't really want to imagine how badly they would butcher his look with all the alternative costumes.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Galena is not-explicitly Heretic-based. So probably not going to see any characters from those games but there might be more like her.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, figured id might have the rights but according to wikipedia it sounds like they're basically contested by Activison and neither company can actually do anything with them.

Just give me the Tome of Power as a powerup or ability.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
As long as they add the only character that matters (Orbb), I'm happy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

As long as they add the only character that matters (Orbb), I'm happy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
orbb aint in this game? cmoooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lmao yeah I was thinking about mentioning Orbb in my last post but figured i'd just be told off that his hitboxes would be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Which was worse, playing quake 3 as orbb or bones, or playing goldeneye as oddjob?