Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Aethernet posted:

It also makes playing one of the badboi races rather liberating. Devouring Swarms should be able to get uncapped +growth from food though, rather than being capped at +2 per planet. Would make devouring as powerful as it's meant to be, rather than a nice benefit if you can be bothered to wait for all the other pops to be eaten before populating conquered worlds.

Devouring swarms get -50% resettlement cost though, and can get another -50% from the Purity tree for free resettlement (assuming non-sedentary species). So you can grow a lot of pops in parallel with +2 from food if you're processing a lot of pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Wild Horses posted:

"so we repair the dyson sphere so we can get energy to build matter replicators everywhere so we can get more minerals to buy another dyson sphere and keep going like that?"

"yes"

Whoever asked this is a gecko spy. Unless you are geckos, then he is a lobster spy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Duodecimal posted:

Long after victory - gardening continues. The blue dot in the middle of red in the south is the location of that nearest L-Gate from which I turned the tide. My borders in the outermost arm (around 3:30ish) is still the original south border of my 10-star constellation. The big red blob in the east? Only one habitable planet left in there.

And this kind of story is why Stellaris really rocks and is only getting better :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Barring the whole tech fallen empire being beaten into being religious zealots, the highlight of my game was running into a robot admiral at the start of the game. In the end he hasn't been anything special but he has been around since the start of my empire and due to some weird luck he has served two non consecutive turns as my leader. Also it is amazing just how quickly you generate threat when you start taking territory in a total war.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Is there like some way to do limited corraling of friendly spacebornes? I feel like I'm still lucky to just have a herd of tiyanki by midgame without the neighborhood space khan deciding to kill them for the giggles and I'm not sure even AI types that should take the option of pacifying actually do it, so just about anything that moves in my empire tends to eventually shoot my amoeba buddies.

Also an ascension perks for pacifist or xenophile types that extends it to the creature leviathans (so the matriarch, dragon and voidborne at least) would be kinda cool.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fortresses providing FTL inhibitors is straight up horseshit by the way. Good luck destroying the tile, go roll the dice!

Especially when offensive army activity provides serious war exhaustion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah its fine. Otherwise you can just skip over everything and clear out all their spaceports before going back to take out the planets themselves.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
FTL inhibitors do a better job of defending territory than all the defense platforms in the world. Whether or not the game needs another reason to drag out the endgame is another matter entirely.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's because I always bring massively overkill armies but I've never noticed taking planets to have that bad an effect.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just make their silly planet go kaboom. A planet cracker is the solution to most problems as I recently discovered :v: Total war has never been so much fun!

Edit: I almost killed the contingency, I just have to destroy their last planet (and grab the ringworlds that the defenders guys who spawned should leave behind once that's done, I already positioned myself to take advantage of that) then the Galaxy goes back to hating me for being a huge warmongering assshole; I own half the Galaxy, have claims on like another third, at this point even the awakened fallen empire is inferior to me, and every other normal race is straight up pathetic. Did I just... win my first game? :ohdear:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 17, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

And this kind of story is why Stellaris really rocks and is only getting better :allears:

yeah, this kind of thing is what this game is for. good stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenaero posted:

Fortresses providing FTL inhibitors is straight up horseshit by the way. Good luck destroying the tile, go roll the dice!

Especially when offensive army activity provides serious war exhaustion.

I must be lucky or something because it feels like the Fortress tile is one of the first to get cratered whenever I have to bombard one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

I must be lucky or something because it feels like the Fortress tile is one of the first to get cratered whenever I have to bombard one.

I'm feeling a weird sense of déjà vu, because I swear I saw this exact line of discussion already in the past, down to the exact same word use.

Also I solve this conundrum by planting armies on the planet. It also means I don't have to rebuild the fortress later after the war is over!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

The description of selective bombardment says that it prioritizes military targets, I've never paid enough attention to see if that's just fluff or if it actually kills fortress tiles first but that may be why.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With the new war system can you fight a war to vasilize two allied empires at the same time?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there something very wrong with ship upgrade costs right now?

For one of my Starbases, the cost of a new platform is 300. Upgrading an existing platform? 1747 Minerals. The time to upgrade increases as well. It's so strange.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JerikTelorian posted:

For one of my Starbases, the cost of a new platform is 300. Upgrading an existing platform? 1747 Minerals. The time to upgrade increases as well. It's so strange.
There's something funny going on with platforms specifically but I think regular ships are fine.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

JerikTelorian posted:

I've had this issue and IIRC it went away after I disbanded at least one platform. Might've been some other interaction with them, though.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
As a person adverse to "fun", are there a mod to reduce the number of genocidal manics like purifiers or exterminators?

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

Those new missiles are very expensive!

As was mentioned disbanding a platform correctly changed the upgrade cost.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Those new missiles are very expensive!

As was mentioned disbanding a platform correctly changed the upgrade cost.

Wow.

Disbanding did help me too, thanks for the info. I'm playing on ironman so I was a bit cautious about messing with it till I got more info.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

As a person adverse to "fun", are there a mod to reduce the number of genocidal manics like purifiers or exterminators?

I don't know if there is a mod that directly affects that, but there are a couple options:

1) Use a mod that adds a bunch of empires, like the Awful Friends. There are some Purifiers and Exterminators, but the ratio is not in their favor so you'll get fewer of them.

2) Create a bunch of empires that fit what you want to see. Same general idea as #1.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So in my current game the year is around 2480 and the end game crisis has not shown up yet. My current theory is that whatever was supposed to come took one look at the burning mess that the galaxy was turning into and quickly decided that they wanted no part in the hot mess that it was becoming. Right now there are four major players operating in the game. My empire with its one vassal, once a much loved member of galactic community, eventually become so terrifying in terms of military might and the victories earned from total war that now almost everybody else in the galaxy hates me. This has proven to be a bit of a headache as the federation that formed when the great khan died now incorporates about 1/3 of the galaxy due to the fact that everybody is terrified that they are going to be next. This would be more of an issue if this was not due to the third faction, the religious awakened empire that managed to snuff out the techno fallen empire before they could also awaken and made them their vassal. They have been busy carving up a decent portion of the galaxy and despite being right next to them, they have yet to try and subjugate me. In fact right now they are busy fighting the ex horde federation and while I have no idea how all that is going to turn out it does allow me to deal with the final major player, a federation that used to be my friend since I spent so much time beating up on a common enemy. I want to quickly subjugate them but since there were only two members of the federation I was scared of taking out one empire as that would most likely drive the other one right into the arms of the horde. However they have just added a new empire to the fed which only composes of a single planet so I am all set to finally deal with them. In the midst of all this past, current, and future bloodshed there is another relatively tiny federation that seems to be counting their blessings that everybody else has seemed to have forgotten them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rincewinds posted:

exterminators et al are fantastic to have because you can just pilfer their territory at your leisure, why would you want less of them!!!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's pretty absurd when random chump AI declares a war of independence against the fallen empire overlord, brings ten allies in... then peaces out as the only one getting independence. Why the gently caress am I going to join their war if I'm not going to get independence myself?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

isndl posted:

It's pretty absurd when random chump AI declares a war of independence against the fallen empire overlord, brings ten allies in... then peaces out as the only one getting independence. Why the gently caress am I going to join their war if I'm not going to get independence myself?

This happened to me in my most recent game, too. It definitely feels like an oversight!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Captain Invictus posted:

exterminators et al are fantastic to have because you can just pilfer their territory at your leisure, why would you want less of them!!!

They keep purging xenos before I get them for my zoos!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It would be nice of the bio-engineering path allowed you to create life, or at least resurrect previous races for you to use. I'm sure nothing would go wrong trying to play God like that; it worked for John Hammond and it'll work for us.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Is the eating the Titanic Life project... supposed to let me also take them as military units? That seems kinda broken for xenophobe empires then

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man planet cracker vs. pacifier is really odd. The pacifier just removes the planet from the game, gives good soc research and everyone doesn't get mad at you vs. the cracker resulting in everyone being super pissy.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Balance it by adding a new crisis that can fire where residents of the shielded world who were off-planet at the time of shielding return in a precursor flagship and forge a massive alliance against you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sio posted:

Balance it by adding a new crisis that can fire where residents of the shielded world who were off-planet at the time of shielding return in a precursor flagship and forge a massive alliance against you.

Gonna have to reskin the Unbidden too, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I understand why they did it, but shielded worlds being permanently shut off as a planet is kinda dumb. It's planet cracker in all but name, since the denizens are effectively erased as there is no way to save them. Make releasing them require a lengthy unshielding process with a manned science ship if need be(much longer than fallen empire shield worlds due to it being a "fresh" shielding), a weakness to the pacifier method, but allows for later release of citizens. Planet crackers could have the mineral amount from destroyed worlds increased to compensate for this buff to shielded worlds.

Natural 20 posted:

Man planet cracker vs. pacifier is really odd. The pacifier just removes the planet from the game, gives good soc research and everyone doesn't get mad at you vs. the cracker resulting in everyone being super pissy.
extremely appropriate avatar post combo

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Captain Invictus posted:

I understand why they did it, but shielded worlds being permanently shut off as a planet is kinda dumb. It's planet cracker in all but name, since the denizens are effectively erased as there is no way to save them. Make releasing them require a lengthy unshielding process with a manned science ship if need be(much longer than fallen empire shield worlds due to it being a "fresh" shielding), a weakness to the pacifier method, but allows for later release of citizens. Planet crackers could have the mineral amount from destroyed worlds increased to compensate for this buff to shielded worlds.

extremely appropriate avatar post combo

Yeah, if the pacifier worked this way I might actually be tempted to build Colossi. As it is I don't want to waste an ascension perk on the ability to deprive myself of land for no benefit.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
See, this is why you just use Neutron Sweep.

Or Nanobot Diffuser, if you're playing the correct empire type.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This discussion reminded me that this mod exists: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=909547945

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I get that they added fleet size limits to reduce the amount of blobbing. Which is basically what the AI does now. But is there some hidden downside to me sending 5 capped out fleets at the same thing? It's like the end result is the same.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I get that they added fleet size limits to reduce the amount of blobbing. Which is basically what the AI does now. But is there some hidden downside to me sending 5 capped out fleets at the same thing? It's like the end result is the same.

Admiral buffs.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The Shrines to the Old Gods event chain has marked some systems I already control as "likely shrine locations" but there's no special project, and moving science ships into and out of it doesn't seem to do much. Is this... normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Phobeste posted:

The Shrines to the Old Gods event chain has marked some systems I already control as "likely shrine locations" but there's no special project, and moving science ships into and out of it doesn't seem to do much. Is this... normal?

Yeah I am getting the same thing, researched the initial spot but going back and forth between 2nd and 3rd probably 50 times and nothing triggering.