Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Barreft posted:

e: I'm sure this was posted, maybe even by me, but here's the opening with Farouk's Farsi subtitled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Such a brilliant scene.
I'm satisfied with the ending although the 'turn' was very sharp - and because Farouk's intentions and influences are so thoroughly muddy I can't blame anyone for getting confused or having a different interpretation of the ending. From one perspective it does seem like Farouk is just using the idea of a future David threat to leverage his own power, freedom and influence. As soon as it became clear to him that future Syd felt differently about David, he seems to have done everything he can to accelerate the transition.

And that battle scene makes Division 3's actions clearer; whatever it takes, the world cannot have such immensely powerful creatures wandering around wreaking whatever havok their own emotions demand, particularly if they're insane and unpredictable.

Really looking forward to an unhinged David potentially loving with the entire world in Season 3. I was never down with the idea of a relatively stable & 'good guy' Legion. The guy is meant to be irreparably broken, crazy and scary - in the comics he's altered world history just to get his way.

It would also be interesting if Farouk had such a bad time trying to stop him that he came to regret ever messing with David's head. As much as I love his character, it's about time he was taken down a peg.

My ideal season 3 would be David wins, but it's terrible for everybody. Also Patrick Stewart cameo.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

In the comics, David has been portrayed as very sympathetic and not evil or irreparably broken. I can't really think of an arc where he is actually treated like he can't be helped. Even his biggest moment came out of a misguided attempt to help his father.

So I think the TV show has been pretty faithful to his character. Well-meaning, naive, crazy, prone to screwing up, and just searching for approval and validation.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Y'know, thinking back on Season 1, I am kinda saddened that despite how good the Alternate Timeline episode, Dance Battle scene, and Farooq song-fight was in S2, neither of them really hit the same high notes hit by the Bollywood, Burlesque, and Bolero scenes in S1. Hell, I've probably watched that Bolero scene like two dozen times I love it so drat much but the only part of S2 I'd rewatch is the Farooq fight and even then, maybe a couple times before I'm good. It just didn't get me as goosebumpy.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Am I the only person who heard Vermilion at the end of the credits song saying that none of this is real? We never got any resolution to Amy dreaming that she was Vermilion, I think that a big chunk of this season or possibly all of it is part of some sort of simulation. Plus we had that flashback at the beginning saying that this was Chapter 10 again, 3 years later. I'm not saying that none of the events count, but there is a lot of evidence that what we've seen isn't what's actually happened.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Emerson Cod posted:

Am I the only person who heard Vermilion at the end of the credits song saying that none of this is real? We never got any resolution to Amy dreaming that she was Vermilion, I think that a big chunk of this season or possibly all of it is part of some sort of simulation. Plus we had that flashback at the beginning saying that this was Chapter 10 again, 3 years later. I'm not saying that none of the events count, but there is a lot of evidence that what we've seen isn't what's actually happened.

The only voice I'm hearing in the credits is male.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

night slime posted:

The only voice I'm hearing in the credits is male.

Yeah I just listened with headphones and it's not Vermilion but it definitely says "this is not real" and it's distorted with computer sounds. Still, I think they threw in something for people waiting for the end after they put that scene in at the end of the first season. I think that him breaking out Lenny was meant to be that scene but they realized that so many people missed it last time that they put it in before the credits.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the computerized male voice perhaps Ptonomy?

night slime
May 14, 2014
Those are the song lyrics to Cornflake Girl by Lenny Busker

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Is the computerized male voice perhaps Ptonomy?

drat.

And count me in as one who not only loves this episode, but fully embraces the ambiguity of everything that’s happened.

A note about when David’s Delusion Egg hatched, I really think it started when he first saw Syd and decided he “deserved” her. I think that’s his delusion, the idea that people deserve things in life like love, happiness, etc... There ain’t no “deserve” in this world, poo poo just is as it is.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I loving love this show cause we're all sitting here typing bizarre thoughts and it's all accepted because this show can go anywhere and we embrace it. I think Noah Howley is loving with our minds.

ENTER RANDOM COW

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

drat.

And count me in as one who not only loves this episode, but fully embraces the ambiguity of everything that’s happened.

A note about when David’s Delusion Egg hatched, I really think it started when he first saw Syd and decided he “deserved” her. I think that’s his delusion, the idea that people deserve things in life like love, happiness, etc... There ain’t no “deserve” in this world, poo poo just is as it is.

It always seemed weird to me in the first episode how David just asked this random girl to be his girlfriend and Syd accepted.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Farouk wanted his son to have a mutant gf since hes into eugenics

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Finale was cool, I am looking forward to season three

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's pretty great and it's a lot better than "and then a Pokeball got him."

well, a bigger pokeball got him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chadzok posted:

The guy is meant to be irreparably broken, crazy and scary - in the comics he's altered world history just to get his way.

i hope they go for this at some point. we've seen a lot of wild things but we're still nowhere near the potential of how terrifying david's powers can be to create a completely new world.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The thread title and Hammy interludes remind me of an experiment I read about. Subjects are presented with two glasses of water: The glass on the left is clean, and filled with clean water, but before the test it was full of dog poo poo. The glass on the right is clean, but the water is tainted with two drops of bleach. It won't kill anyone but it might make them vomit. Can you guess which glass subjects chose the most?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Y’all, it’s Farouk, not Farooq. Farooq is a shitposter who constantly gets banned and makes new accounts that constantly bait people into fights...hey wait a minute!

night slime
May 14, 2014
Reddit is bizarre https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionFX/comments/8r6mac/visual_clues_to_shadowkings_control_over_everyone/

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When 9 people agree, the 10th is declared insane yadda yadda, echo chambers are bad.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Emerson Cod posted:

These are just the lyrics to the song playing at the end. It actually starts before the final credits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Batmasterson posted:

These are just the lyrics to the song playing at the end. It actually starts before the final credits.

They are, but I would avoid using the word “just” when describing any part of the show. As we’ve seen, the music (and their attendant lyrics when applicable) has almost always been deliberately relevant to the show, so I would not be surprised in any if it‘s the case here.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The most important connection in this season that no one is making:

Farouk says he tried to make David love him when he was in his head

+

Farouk sends a mouse to deliver a message to Syd

=

In the Dead-End-Job David timeline, Farouk sent David a mouse to keep his lil buddy entertained at his desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitVPugX3q0

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Proteus Jones posted:

They are, but I would avoid using the word “just” when describing any part of the show. As we’ve seen, the music (and their attendant lyrics when applicable) has almost always been deliberately relevant to the show, so I would not be surprised in any if it‘s the case here.

Even if they are a hint, the next lyric after that is "YOU BET YOUR LIFE IT IS" :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv29vC7ojM8

e: Also just generally, Cornflake Girl is a song about being betrayed by someone you trusted and not wanting to believe it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 16, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wowww gently caress

night slime
May 14, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The most important connection in this season that no one is making:

Farouk says he tried to make David love him when he was in his head

+

Farouk sends a mouse to deliver a message to Syd

=

In the Dead-End-Job David timeline, Farouk sent David a mouse to keep his lil buddy entertained at his desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitVPugX3q0

I thought he sniffed glue to do that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So no-one has mentioned how Farouk rose from the dead and wore a crown of thorns

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

So no-one has mentioned how Farouk rose from the dead and wore a crown of thorns

Farouk is totally controlling and manipulating all of this.

e: Oh you're meaning a jesus thing. well actually yeah thinking about it now. He looked badass in that crown though. Well he always looks badass but yea

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I think the implication is he's an anti-christ figure.

Also, I really hope David and Lenny aren't gonna be an item now, given whose body Lenny is in and whose mind is still in there somewhere

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Also, I really hope David and Lenny aren't gonna be an item now, given whose body Lenny is in and whose mind is still in there somewhere

At some level I was still aware of it, but that particular horror hadn’t bubbled up as a possibility.

That would be... yeah... :stonk:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Barreft posted:

The whole season was about David. He was warping reality around him. I agree there were WAY too many random shits showing up, it's like they just wanted to Twin Peaks it up. But overall I like where it ended.

Hawley said in an interview that season 2 was specifically not about David and instead was supposed to explore the supporting characters. He’s also said multiple times in many interviews and contexts that what you see is what you get, there’s no “it was all a dream” fuckery going on.

I’m fully supporive of Death of the Author and whatever allows you to enjoy the show, just in the future maybe hedge your assertions or explain where you’re coming from.

I’d normally be interested to hear your “headcanon” but that interpertation has been done to death, and it doesn’t seem like you’ve put a ton of thought into it. That said, never stop posting, so let’s hear it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season was bad with interesting parts sprinkled throughout, so exactly like season 1.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Rewatching the first season and when David is asked by his shrink what the stars said, it shows a memory flash of two people, one who seemingly looks bald. Hmm

https://imgur.com/a/b42l3zw

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

When 9 people agree, the 10th is declared insane yadda yadda, echo chambers are bad.

It's better than them endlessly wondering if such and such character from the comics was going to be in the next episode. As if this is just a normal hero tv show like agents of shield. They thought Jon Hamm was going to be playing Mr Sinister.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Hawley said in an interview that season 2 was specifically not about David and instead was supposed to explore the supporting characters. He’s also said multiple times in many interviews and contexts that what you see is what you get, there’s no “it was all a dream” fuckery going on.

I’m fully supporive of Death of the Author and whatever allows you to enjoy the show, just in the future maybe hedge your assertions or explain where you’re coming from.

I’d normally be interested to hear your “headcanon” but that interpertation has been done to death, and it doesn’t seem like you’ve put a ton of thought into it. That said, never stop posting, so let’s hear it.

This would make more sense if the entire season hadn't been hosed up. If David isn't warping reality then why was there a cow? Where did the delusion eggs come from? How did they manifest as actual monsters in the real world? Why was there a desert where everything is hosed up with a giant hole in it and a big pink plug? Why did a hook fly out of it and catch Syd in a very literal metaphore? Why was there a maze with a minotaur in it?

It might not be David's dream become reality but it's someones. Farauks presumably. I think when the characters in question can make their thoughts into reality the definition between "all a dream" and "actually happening" have become blurred.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 16, 2018

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I was half expecting David to retcon reality back to the mental hospital. Staring at the drooling guy, thinking everything's ok, then Lenny pops up behind him with a bag of Twizzlers. "Hey friendo."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At2OMimezOk

Kinda spells it out early how Farouk is going to manipulate him, and everyone else. Also says they can both control reality which is true. So no idea why you got hostile at me for thinking David or Farouk, or both have been completely messing with everyone and warping the world around their two personalities.

e: Also the place is literally called Fortune Teller: Witness your Future, but whatever.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how the show has been consistent with everyone getting high by using drugs that they vape from animal shaped vaporizers.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the show has been consistent with everyone getting high by using drugs that they vape from animal shaped vaporizers.

Yeah, I vape, I'd love a golden elephant bong thing or whatever the gently caress that is.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Season 3 is just David going on Reddit to figure out why he didn't do anything wrong

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The show doesn't sell the characters well. I feel like most of them are extremely empty surface level characters who seem to not react strongly to anything and just kind of go with the flow - which is extremely dull

The standout character is Farouk, who is loving amazing. The actor sells every line and I enjoyed every scene with him. More Farouk please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barreft posted:

Yeah, I vape, I'd love a golden elephant bong thing or whatever the gently caress that is.

I like Lenny's portable crocodile one.