Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Rynoto posted:

Hope you kept your defense up to date! Now enjoy years of non-stop raids.

Only just. Some of them broke through and managed to down one of my colonists.

Best bit is that I finally get to put my recently built super jail to good use!

I mean I have no desire to recruit any more colonists and a few of my dudes have some nasty injuries... guess it's time to do this organ harvesting lark I hear so much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What are the species mods you're using?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

vandalism posted:

I love this game. I am taking a writing workshop class and played a game of rimworld, made some comments and recorded my experience, and then wrote a short story based on what happened. It was really fun, actually. I got some really cool characters. I took the first 3 random ones I got and also picked a spot on the map at random. I altered what happened a little bit, but the storyteller part of this game has so many cool events that can shape what happens. I tried to incorporate their backgrounds and their traits into them as characters. I think it turned out really well and I enjoyed it a ton.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah I’m working on a Rimworld inspired story as well.

You two should definitely pick up Psychology if you haven't already. It's basically made specifically for people like you.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Anticheese posted:

What are the species mods you're using?

In this colony I currently have the following additional species:

Orassans
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180673498
Please ignore how blatanty furry this is it's a good species based on cat people that are faster but weaker than humans and have a greater tolerance for the cold due to being... well... furry. It also has some cool weapons and some less than cool buildings.

Androids
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1386412863
They don't sleep and come in different flavours!

Crystal
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1338611415
Rock people! Honestly not that different from humans except they have an ability to make a big circle of diamonds appear around that act as a weak wall.

Lizardman
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1380836542
I really like this one. As they are cold blooded they don't handle the cold well at all. I think they have a minimum comfortable temperature of something like +12C so be sure to wrap them up before sending them outside!

Mantodeans
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1294507772
These guys are super rad. Insect based race that doesn't eat veg (they eat kibble though, generally do that to provide food for them) and tend to cause a lot of cuts in melee combat! Their anatomy is very different from the usual so can be difficult to replace organs/limbs.

In addition to these I also have another species loaded but I haven't encountered any of them yet.
Tree People
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1403998409
They are highly flammable!

Jarf fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 16, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Orassans is blatantly furry but also blatantly OP (intentionally, it's a point of pride) and the mod author is a weirdo.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Orassans is blatantly furry but also blatantly OP (intentionally, it's a point of pride) and the mod author is a weirdo.

The technology that comes with them is OP so I tend to avoid it except for the pew pew laser guns. They're rare enough that I used the hell out of the one rifle I stumbled across.

As for the actual species I put bionic legs on my cat hauler and now I want to paint him blue and rename him "Sanic" cos he is fast af.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like the Orassans because they're pretty much the only faction that regularly starts off at least tolerating me. Last time I played I got attacked by the GDI, NOD, and the FBI all in a row within the first month

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I did a paper for an undergraduate behavioral economics class where I attempted to do just what you are suggesting, finding a way to quantify social constructs and their 'value' in society. The game would need a much more robust reputation system to keep track of the various dimensions of social interaction, quantify them, and add them to the 'value' of your colony when it comes to how it triggers events. You could ultimately boil ethics down to a colony wealth value if you really tried. What is lost in such a translation is left as an exercise to the reader.

I don't imagine you could completely quantify it or at least, I think trying to do so would make the game annoying and make people disagree with how you did it. But, I think there's room for a more broad strokes approach that helps to give people a push towards roleplaying a little bit more. As it stands the game just doesn't give a poo poo what you do with your colony, it has absolutely no impact on anyone else unless you start killing people from other factions, it doesn't exist in a society at all. But if people come to visit and you're all wearing human leather coats and eating funny meat then you'd expect some kind of reaction, I guess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Danaru posted:

I like the Orassans because they're pretty much the only faction that regularly starts off at least tolerating me. Last time I played I got attacked by the GDI, NOD, and the FBI all in a row within the first month

RimWorld is literally the best toybox since Lego.

Me? I am playing as a Vampire Coven that worships Nyarlathotep with the hospitality mod. Just your usual spooky hotel.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 16, 2018

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm trying to start a game with the Lord of the Rim stuff, also orcs, kobolds, mantis people, vampires, werewolves, and lizardmen. It keeps crashing on world gen though, trying to figure out what's causing it. I took out all the tech mods since I'm using the Third Age limits.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I wanna try the lizard men.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I'm finally trying the vampire mod and I can't tell if I just have a grody vampire or it interacts badly with the hygiene mod. The vampire in my colony never washes herself unless I manually direct her to, which has a negative stat impact : /

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shirec posted:

I'm finally trying the vampire mod and I can't tell if I just have a grody vampire or it interacts badly with the hygiene mod. The vampire in my colony never washes herself unless I manually direct her to, which has a negative stat impact : /

Your vamp might be more Nosferatu than Dracula.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Traditionally the undead have issues with running water.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Go all Deadlands and have her drink a few bottles of whiskey every day to stave off the rot/cover the smell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ok, here we go. Randy Intense, Permadeath, and instead of doing anything akin to planning, I picked a random spot and picked the first three pawns on the list in a "Colonization Crash Course" scenario. RF Scenarios for reference. The map I landed on had this rather nice, if a bit wet, structure already built, so I figured I'd just move in. The fact that none of my colonists know how to cook (all 0 Cooking skill) makes this a pretty good approximation of that first time you were living on your own in college.

At least they can grow rice.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jarf posted:

Only just. Some of them broke through and managed to down one of my colonists.

Best bit is that I finally get to put my recently built super jail to good use!

I mean I have no desire to recruit any more colonists and a few of my dudes have some nasty injuries... guess it's time to do this organ harvesting lark I hear so much about.

What mod adds those nice jail doors, turrets, fences, barbed wire and toilets? I always thought my bases look a bit too "clean" and if I were a crash landed survivor I would sure be having some barbed wire around, and proper jail doors. And vanilla turrets kind of suck.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

1.0 has an unstable build now.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.0

Edit: Somebody in the discord said "Yes there is a 64bit version. Get over it."

The General fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 17, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The General posted:

Some major nerfs to the starting game in there.. as well as general anti-fun nerfs.

quote:

-Research
--Colonies start game with passive cooler research.
--Colonies no longer start game with batteries and solar panels and nutrient paste research.
-Changed "Beds" research to "Complex furniture" which is now required to build things like end tables and dining chairs

-Growing trees now requires research and you can now only grow trees which grow naturally in the local biome
-No humans now spawn with charge rifle. Charge lance is now usable by humans and craftable. Mechanoids now always destroy anything they drop (including minigun, which was previously recoverable)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
growing trees is stupid as gently caress anyway so that change is more confusing in terms of why it was done than anything else.

the power grid nerfs are the ones that are gonna hurt the most. passive cooler is whatever, but not being able to get a freezer going on day 2 is going to be a real issue. i think it's a fair question what an early game build is going to look like now, which I'm sure is the point.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

quote:

-Frag grenades are no longer a valid hunting weapon

Kinda disappointed by most of the changes, honestly, and there's nothing in there that really adds to the game and couldn't just be modded in.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

growing trees is stupid as gently caress anyway so that change is more confusing in terms of why it was done than anything else.

the power grid nerfs are the ones that are gonna hurt the most. passive cooler is whatever, but not being able to get a freezer going on day 2 is going to be a real issue. i think it's a fair question what an early game build is going to look like now, which I'm sure is the point.

I would like more options for preserving food. I've always found it kinda dumb that the most important thing to do is get a freezer up ASAP to make sure you can have enough food to survive. Refrigeration is relatively new to us, and it's not like before that all anybody ate was pemmican.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Patch notes posted:

-Trained animal skills and tameness now decay over time. Animals can revert to the wild, depending on their natural wildness.

....Why? :psyduck:

EDIT:

Oh, yeah also:

Patch notes posted:

Mechanoids now always destroy anything they drop (including minigun, which was previously recoverable)
Mechanoids now always die on downed
Removed scyther blade

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 17, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You should see the pain the Cataclysm goes through every time it comes back to life. :negative:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Warg OP, please nerf.

It is probably a time and resource tax on maintaining wild beasts.

Or people having fun with pet dinosaurs goes against Tynan's vision.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hmmm, what do I like and not like...

Skill decay frustrates me so I'll have that modded out immediately, especially for animals.

A lot of these tweaks seem redundant thanks to the mods I have installed.

"-Mods page now has a search bar so you can easily find one mod in your list of hundreds" aha, good.

"-Enemies no longer use single use rocket launchers during caravan ambushes" ahahahahah was this an option???

"-Fixed issues with animals sometimes randomly opening doors in combat and allowing enemies in" THANK GOD I had to create zones for animals so they wouldn't go near doors during combat

...huh. All in all I'm generally happy with the changes, a lot of these tweaks seem like they'd be stuff I'll enjoy. It helps a lot that I know modding will happen so I can just erase the stuff I don't like. Caravaning seems a lot more viable, bridges sans-mods is neat, and there's just a lot of little changes that feel good.

The real question: can I finish the game I'm playing now before 1.0 drop?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patch Notes posted:

-Frag grenades are no longer a valid hunting weapon

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The General posted:

I would like more options for preserving food. I've always found it kinda dumb that the most important thing to do is get a freezer up ASAP to make sure you can have enough food to survive. Refrigeration is relatively new to us, and it's not like before that all anybody ate was pemmican.

Yeah, like the ability to build some sort of granary to store some foods during the winter doesn't seem unreasonable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress
THAT
poo poo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Don't worry, there's a silver lining to this.

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1008292322432385024

Our backgammons were devastated.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

TorakFade posted:

What mod adds those nice jail doors, turrets, fences, barbed wire and toilets? I always thought my bases look a bit too "clean" and if I were a crash landed survivor I would sure be having some barbed wire around, and proper jail doors. And vanilla turrets kind of suck.

Jail doors and the big gates are added by "Doors Expanded"
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316188771

Turrets are added by "Vanilla Warfare Expansion" and "More Vanilla Turrets"
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1300947757
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1206853119

Barbed Wire
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=811181658

Toilets added by "Dub's Bad Hygiene"
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836308268

The General posted:

Oh wow, nice changelist. Looks like quite a few popular mods have made it into the base game. Notably the ability to craft prosthetics and bionics. Excited!

quote:

-New scenario: Naked Brutality - start naked with no items

This is how I will kick off 1.0.

I also cannot stop adding new factions.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Been messing around with mods... there are a ton of them that seem required for fun gameplay. So many quality of life things like circuit fuses and pick up and haul and search agency and hauling construction delivery...

On the downside, why the gently caress does two colonists wearing the same outfit give a mood malus? Oh hey, our outfits match, I am now super unhappy. loving stupid

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Ambaire posted:

On the downside, why the gently caress does two colonists wearing the same outfit give a mood malus? Oh hey, our outfits match, I am now super unhappy. loving stupid

^ this.

You're on a god damned rimworld where every day is a struggle for survival. You're fortunate enough to be in a colony with food, medicine and beds and yet you're upset because that other guy is wearing the same jacket as you. Get your priorities straight mate.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jarf posted:

^ this.

You're on a god damned rimworld where every day is a struggle for survival. You're fortunate enough to be in a colony with food, medicine and beds and yet you're upset because that other guy is wearing the same jacket as you. Get your priorities straight mate.

And it's universal for every single loving colonist. I'd have it be a part of the negative traits jealous and whatever else, not for every single loving .. arglblarglargl

e. when I had my first and only colonist do a psychotic eating break, I just drafted someone else and shot them into a coma. Ended the psychotic binge right quick. I don't have time for your stupid poo poo.

e2. VVVVVVVV thanks

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 17, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's added by Psychology and you can turn it off in the mod options. I imagine it's to try to give you a reason to actually use different clothing types but it just gets in the way more than anything.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is the text for the Work Tab addon not staying aligned with the columns on 1.25x+ gui scale for anyone else?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If that’s from Psychology, go into mod options and disable something like, “independent thoughts” and that gets rid of it

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So when is the .9 mod out?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pharnakes posted:

So when is the .9 mod out?

It's not, he skipped to 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It was my way of trying to be fumy and ask when the mod will be out that undoes all of Tynans ~vision~