Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some FF games start at a decent pace and keep it up, like 4, 7, and arguably the NES games. But then just as many either start glacially slow (10, 12) or squander whatever momentum they have after awhile (13).

A shame all games can't be like Chrono Trigger and let you beeline through the game if you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Golden Sun is paradoxically fast paced and slow paced. The events themselves are quick and actiony, but you spend at least 5 minutes of exposition at the start and end of each one.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ROFL Octopus posted:

That’s because pretty much any spinoff severely misrepresents Cloud.

The original script for Star Wars had Han Solo as an ugly alien and Luke Skywalker Starkiller as a grizzled old war veteran.

Maybe we'll see what the Square of today would do with FF7 if they had no limitations and no Hironobu Sakaguchi (and 90% of the original dev team).

Attitude Indicator posted:

it's not just the voice acting in FF10, the cutscene direction is just really stilted in that game. You can almost hear the gears turning in the characters between lines and movement, as if they're automatons.

You'll notice a huge improvement in cutscene direction with FF12, especially when it comes to framing. In addition to better cutscene tools, Jun Akiyama was in charge of directing them. He already did great work with Vagrant Story on the PS1 with limited technology.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I think I'm about halfway through FF3 NES- I just killed that annoying boss you had to have like three Dragoons to beat.

For the most part I've been using a Knight/Black Belt/Black Mage/Red Mage set up. Am I better off switching the Red Mage to a White Mage? It seems like keeping dudes healed is becoming an issue now with boss fights.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lobster22221 posted:

Golden Sun is paradoxically fast paced and slow paced. The events themselves are quick and actiony, but you spend at least 5 minutes of exposition at the start and end of each one.

I hate Golden Sun, I just finished up Dark Dawn (My 3DS is broken, I don't have any other old DS games I haven't beaten, and I need something to do when out/on the toilet, and really, what better place to play Dark Dawn than the crapper) And... I hated it, it's so badly written it's so poorly paced, the whole game is a side quest to a 4th game that's never happening, everyone refused to stop REACTING to everything. Somehow there exist two party members with less personality than the character who doesn't talk...

And despite all of that I loved it and I'm still grinding away in it post-game despite beating all the bonus bosses and I want more. And there's really not anything quite like it. Yeah it's poorly written and paced and the battles aren't hard at all (The only time a character died was the final boss using his instant death attack) and the puzzles are all jump mazes... but something about it, I want to keep playing.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

I hate Golden Sun, I just finished up Dark Dawn (My 3DS is broken, I don't have any other old DS games I haven't beaten, and I need something to do when out/on the toilet, and really, what better place to play Dark Dawn than the crapper) And... I hated it, it's so badly written it's so poorly paced, the whole game is a side quest to a 4th game that's never happening, everyone refused to stop REACTING to everything. Somehow there exist two party members with less personality than the character who doesn't talk...

And despite all of that I loved it and I'm still grinding away in it post-game despite beating all the bonus bosses and I want more. And there's really not anything quite like it. Yeah it's poorly written and paced and the battles aren't hard at all (The only time a character died was the final boss using his instant death attack) and the puzzles are all jump mazes... but something about it, I want to keep playing.

I always thought of TLA as a JRPG comfort food. Yeah, its super easy, but (when they are not yapping their mouths off), you can just go out and mash A to kill some dudes. FF12 is better for this, but less portable. You certainly are not there for the story or the challenge.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Attitude Indicator posted:

it's not just the voice acting in FF10, the cutscene direction is just really stilted in that game. You can almost hear the gears turning in the characters between lines and movement, as if they're automatons.

Yeah that’s a good way to put it. It’s like they were new to figuring out how to do VA cutscenes and how to set them up and execute them

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You could have had the best va's and voice director in the world for 10 and it still would have been stilted and broken simply because of the constraints forced on them by the programming

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Auron's voice work is much better than everyone else's because he's got his stupid ronin collar covering his mouth most of the time so his VA didn't have to match lip flaps.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Also like the one cutscene later in the game where Yuna's disembodied voice is talking over a scene from early on as a flashback sorta deal has her sound WAY better than normal. Like, impressively good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Here's a good example of Tidus and Yuna's VAs interacting without the insane constraints of FFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrO2cKCtA3M

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Someone in WoR South Figaro says they're still doing well in spite of the world ending thanks to their leadership, who's been completely absent and all he did when he was in the castle was try to gently caress women

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Someone in WoR South Figaro says they're still doing well in spite of the world ending thanks to their leadership, who's been completely absent and all he did when he was in the castle was try to gently caress women

I assume you're talking about Edgar?

quote:

Edgar: I'd love to stay and chat, but the chancellor and I need to do some planning now. Being a king's not all tea and crumpets. If you'll excuse me...

Edgar was a good king. Trying to gently caress women was just his hobby.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Here's a good example of Tidus and Yuna's VAs interacting without the insane constraints of FFX.

Also 15 years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

I actually shuddered a little when she actually called him Tidus and not "hey you".

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Coughing Hobo posted:

You're going to post that, and NOT link Rikku?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-ychhu-cI

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 16, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I stayed up unreasonably late and powered through to the end of FF3 NES.

I appreciate that it introduced the job system into Final Fantasy but man that is a rough game in a lot of ways. Probably my least favorite of the three NES era games (Though FF1 and FF2 do benefit from me having played the PSP versions).

With Four Job Fiesta coming up I'll skip over FF4 to FF5 for the time being. Looking forward to finally playing through that game now, especially coming off of how rough FF3 was.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

god I love WoFF

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I saw a trailer(?) for WoFF and the little mascot character's verbal tic was so incredibly aggravating that I decided to never touch that game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't play ff5 for the first time with the five job fiesta rules

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

I saw a trailer(?) for WoFF and the little mascot character's verbal tic was so incredibly aggravating that I decided to never touch that game

I won't say it's for everyone, but the game has a ton of charm and it's my favourite one since IX, despite a few tedious parts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Instant Grat posted:

Fortunately you can just play it in Japanese instead

Mega64
May 23, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Don't play ff5 for the first time with the five job fiesta rules

People can and have beat the game doing so. It actually helps for some people since it takes away the analysis paralysis of having to choose between twenty jobs, plus the game's beatable with any four jobs, even four Zerkers (though obviously it's not recommended).

Plus it's an excuse to replay the game to try the other sixteen jobs you missed out on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Schwartzcough posted:

I assume you're talking about Edgar?

Edgar was a good king. Trying to gently caress women was just his hobby.

Hey that sounds just like the current Swedish monarch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

People can and have beat the game doing so. It actually helps for some people since it takes away the analysis paralysis of having to choose between twenty jobs, plus the game's beatable with any four jobs, even four Zerkers (though obviously it's not recommended).

Plus it's an excuse to replay the game to try the other sixteen jobs you missed out on.

OTOH if someone rolls GEO on their first time they're going to hate the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Eh. Geo's not THAT bad, just worse than everyone else and the field-based effects often mean you're hitting guys with elements that heal them. The worst thing I can see a newbie doing is following suit on the folks who go in on Berserker Risk. Dealing with Living Flame, Sandworm, Soul Cannon, or Ned with a majority-zerk team is quite frustrating.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Dealing with Living Flame, Sandworm, Soul Cannon, or Ned with a majority-zerk team is quite frustrating.

I like how these boss names are all intimidating. And then you get Ned.

I really need to get around to playing 5. And then maybe 8. maybe.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

On the flip side traversing the Trench dungeon and Meatfort with a Geomancer is really relieving. They're still not great on their own, but I did miss it when I ran through without.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hopefully one of those other three jobs will give Geo something to do.

hopefully

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bruceski posted:

Eh. Geo's not THAT bad, just worse than everyone else and the field-based effects often mean you're hitting guys with elements that heal them. The worst thing I can see a newbie doing is following suit on the folks who go in on Berserker Risk. Dealing with Living Flame, Sandworm, Soul Cannon, or Ned with a majority-zerk team is quite frustrating.

The first 4JF I finished was a team of WHM/WHM/BLM/GEO.

4 white mages vs liquid flame is tedious as hell. Thankfully its tornado(?) phase doesn't have a lot of MP so you can try to just keep it in that phase as much as possible to keep the incoming damage low (much like your outgoing damage).

Except for the earth crystal boss due to having to melee one of the phases the game was extremely smooth sailing after getting black magic (and rod-breaking) access.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My first run was Thief, Summoner, and then it literally didn’t matter what the last ones were because it was essentially a party of 4 summoners with the speed of a thief

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Don't worry guys, ff7r is still being worked on!

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-06-16-final-fantasy-7-remake-actually-in-development

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Basically no news. We read bunch of articles back in the day how Versus was this and that how it had this much done etc. when it was supposedly in development.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/12/control-every-cutscene-in-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/

Lol

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 17, 2018

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Nomura is a cool dude. He's like the kid who had an uncle that works at nintendo, while actually being that uncle that works at nintendo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nomura would have been fired from Nintendo.

Edit: Actually he wouldn't, he would just be a concept artist like the many nameless concept artists that work at Nintendo and they would not for some actually insane reason put him in charge of directing multiple projects at the same time, one of which without consulting him before announcing it publicly.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 17, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Final Fantasy 7 remake will be out just in time for my kids to be old enough to buy it themselves!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If Nomura got fired I wonder if there would be a big backlash like people had with Kojima/Konami or if people would just be like "yeah that makes sense"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have met people who think Nomura is a genius and the only thing keeping SE afloat and it’s not even worth trying to figure out why

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elentor posted:

Actually he wouldn't, he would just be a concept artist like the many nameless concept artists that work at Nintendo and they would not for some actually insane reason put him in charge of directing multiple projects at the same time, one of which without consulting him before announcing it publicly.

I have never understood this. Like, who on earth thinks this is a sensible thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I do believe that Nomura and S-E belong together. I can't ever get mad at them no matter which insane business decision they take or delay they cause by mismanagement. Whenever I hear the latest news I just raise my hands and go 'That's S-E!'

Of course, it helps that I never understood the need for a FF7 remake. I'll just play it when/if it comes out. But if it doesn't ever get a release date, I'm fine with that too. I still have the original, and it's fine, warts and all.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 17, 2018