Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

i love the happy music obscuring the hosed up consequences of people’s privacy, despite its security benefits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
now just make it display me as a giant neon skeleton and put it in a subway station

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i love the happy music obscuring the hosed up consequences of people’s privacy, despite its security benefits

google assassination drones will have speakers that play whimsical ukulele and glockenspiel music

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Krankenstyle posted:

actually, has there been any russian-styled cyberpunk stuff? that'd preserve the alienation of half of everything using another alphabet

yeah it's called russia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well this just gets less and less exciting the more i hear about it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

good.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the witcher people made it, so it should be no surprise

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

blend of deus ex just means it'll have less conspiracies than deus ex. boooo

just for that I'm doubling down with e.y.e.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not, i mean that article just describes the witcher but cyberpunk themed and also your horse is a car now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

it's not, i mean that article just describes the witcher but cyberpunk themed and also your horse is a car now

wouldn’t a Deus Ex preview in 1998 make it look like “cyberpunk thief”?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually thief didn't have skills/upgrades, so not really

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
still, stealth games are usually pretty disappointing and particularly so if the game is dependent on style

i mean, why bother creating big, visually interesting levels if the player is going to spend a significant portion of the gameplay crouched in a vent?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

actually thief didn't have skills/upgrades, so not really

:goonsay:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

still, stealth games are usually pretty disappointing and particularly so if the game is dependent on style

i mean, why bother creating big, visually interesting levels if the player is going to spend a significant portion of the gameplay crouched in a vent?

did you play any of the thief games? if so, how did they do in this regard?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i played the first two and i thought they did stealth quite well (they were the gold standard in fact), but the difference was you could be hidden and still be out in an environment, just in the shadows

most other stealth games the only way to be "hidden" is to break line of sight and the only way to do that is to be crouched in a vent

dishonored was a good successor to thief because instead of shadows you at least had verticality to provide a means to hide

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

i loved the first Thief, but i think I only played the first level lol. the second one you went into a cave and there was all these zombies. it was sorta scary and retarded.

but the stealth was really impressive, especially hiding in the shadows like it was mentioned

anyway i don’t think this reply was redeeming in any way and i’m sincerely sorry for that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically stealth was done well in the thief games because it was a core gameplay element, whereas games like deus ex encourage multiple playstyles which means either one method is demonstrably better than the rest or each are equally mediocre

stealth is the primary mechanic that gets corners cut and turned into vent crouching to avoid patrols

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

basically stealth was done well in the thief games because it was a core gameplay element, whereas games like deus ex encourage multiple playstyles which means either one method is demonstrably better than the rest or each are equally mediocre

stealth is the primary mechanic that gets corners cut and turned into vent crouching to avoid patrols

stymie, you are right enough to be worth quoting but you have also missed the flaw in the thief games

the games that integrate stealth as a choice make it more fun than the games that make stealth mandatory. each puzzle in thief 1 is basically a pres-butan cut-scene without the prompts -- there is only one way to proceed, with perfect timing

crouching in a vent, for all its flaws, is more exciting than counting down steps to launch a moss arrow to meet the puzzle requirements found by trial and error

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sure deus ex has a lot of vents, but then again you can still sneak without them its just a play style choice based on personal difficulty choices

look, either way im going to crush the windpipe of every person in the building after crawling through the shadows. it just depends on if i want to do it through vents our through disabling cameras and guards

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stymie, you are right enough to be worth quoting but you have also missed the flaw in the thief games

the games that integrate stealth as a choice make it more fun than the games that make stealth mandatory. each puzzle in thief 1 is basically a pres-butan cut-scene without the prompts -- there is only one way to proceed, with perfect timing

crouching in a vent, for all its flaws, is more exciting than counting down steps to launch a moss arrow to meet the puzzle requirements found by trial and error

i don't know if that was true in the later thief games, particularly the recent reboot, but that was objectively not the case in the first two

thief was the best stealth-focused game because the game was designed with stealth in mind and they actually created the levels such that multiple routes were available and equally viable, depending on your skill level

plus, they also used imperfect information to influence your play since you didn't have an automap or enemy radar to depend on to know when you needed to duck into a vent

nowadays most stealth-focused games are horror games which combine the thrill of crouching in a vent with occasionally crouching behind a rock or in a locker/closet/crate/whatever

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

istr in the Riddick game stealth was fairly well integrated, as you moved into shadows your ‘eye shine’ would activate automatically to let you know you were hidden. was a good game, maybe worth a revisit.

also the gold standard for me stealthwise were the earlier Splinter Cell games, they gave you a supremely capable protagonist able to traverse the environments and various stealth routes fluidly and entertainingly - you could totally ghost a level if you didn’t mind waiting on patrol timings etc, or you could be nonlethally proactive and hide ko’d guards in shaded corners.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

be honest, everyone hopes that amazon hq2 shows up near them

can't wait too be incorporated into an burbclave

gently caress that, concentrating more companies in DC like defense contractors did in the 90s just hastens our cyberpunk future
and in the meantime the traffic will be even more poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the riddick game was way better than it had any right to be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

oh yeah i liked the first one, didnt get around to the second. puttin that on my reading list!

yeah... i just read the second and third books. they are... less good.

to the extent that i'm left wondering how much i glossed over in the first one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol yea I just discovered that I actually started the second book but apparently didn't bother finishing it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
cyberspunk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rofl ur av

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean, it's a white guy from ohio writing about 22nd century islam, i don't know what i expected

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rad

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

i mean, it's a white guy from ohio writing about 19th century New Orleans, i don't know what i expected

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finished og dx and just started dx: invisible war

ugh. you can tell it's so console. and each save takes forever to load wtf

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chris Knight posted:

finished og dx and just started dx: invisible war

ugh. you can tell it's so console. and each save takes forever to load wtf

i thought it did something incredibly stupid like reloading all assets in each cell shift like from room to room or something, so the io load time is awful

oh, wait, so i looked into it a bit and there's some weird mix of being both simplified for xbox constraints while also being terrible on a full pc. maybe that's the loading thing I'm thinking of in that it had to fit into the limited ram profile of the system

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I will add im progressing through mankind divided right now and have mostly given up on a peaceful playthrough and that has made it both enjoyable and difficult since it pushes me into a lot of snap decisions on how to resolve situations

the flip is that it lends itself well to accidentally preclearing areas before finding the quest for it. ive had a few times where a small mob organization is already eliminated because of my nosy morality and poor impulse control and the game seems to handle this out of order decision making pretty well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
any suggestions for oldschool cyberpunk games on Amiga, Apple IIgs, or Atari ST? (or MS-DOS I guess)

we have “Neuromancer” for IIgs and a nice copy of “Syndicate” for Amiga is on its way

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eschaton posted:

any suggestions for oldschool cyberpunk games on Amiga, Apple IIgs, or Atari ST? (or MS-DOS I guess)

we have “Neuromancer” for IIgs and a nice copy of “Syndicate” for Amiga is on its way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(video_game)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
oh yeah we’ve got the Apple II (not IIgs) and Mac versions of “Hacker”

and the Mac version of “Hacker II”

would it be worth playing the Amiga or Atari ST versus for visuals or sound? I didn’t get very far playing it when the game was new…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

eschaton posted:

Beneath A Steel Sky

• Locked thread