Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is the origin story of FF4’s Octomammoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The twist is that there is no twist. It keeps having allies act in a suspicious manner, but nothing actually happens.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Everybody's just really edgy and nobody is comfortable calling anyone else out because they're no better themselves. They're all super dependable but a bunch of tiresome sumbitches.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the twist is that at the end, instead of saying 'The End' it says 'The End?' :lost:

alternatively I already figured it out

Your Computer posted:

I've already datamined the secret

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
How can I wait an entire month for this game!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just did Ophilia's intro. It sounded more interesting in the character blurb, but hey, maybe it'll be cool in the final game. Also okay, the faux archaic English is pretty bad

I think it's weird that the game doesn't include a lot of the good QOL changes from Bravely, since that's one of the thing that set the series apart from other JRPGs. In particular the encounter rate settings, but also stuff like the auto-advancing cutscenes and small stuff like that.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 17, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Since the characters together form OCTOPATH, the villains form TRAVELER.

Or something like that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
When I try out the demo, I'm probably obligated to do Tressa first, aren't I.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

That depends.

Do you enjoy fun?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

you're free to pick whoever you want, friend

as long as pick Tressa

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 17, 2018

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

SpaceDrake posted:

Feel free to start with whomever you want, but if you’re questioning whether you want to play as a cute merchant girl who wants to go on adventures, I’m going to have to seriously question your tastes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I don't know, "Doctor with an axe" is also a powerful option.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Not Operator posted:

Letters dissolve to reveal the true title

OCTOPATH TRAVELLER
pcTOpatH travELLer
TO H ELL
[b]TO I just realised the game is using the american spelling and my fun joke is loving ruined

It effectively pulling a Live a Live/Live a eviL? Hmm. Well, it's been long enough since it's been done, maybe it's that time again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default and Second both did it, so it's to be expected, really.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I was bored and started planning out who I want to give which subclasses to now that we know what skills each class gets, with an unspoken rule of no repeats and no reciprocal subclasses (So nothing like Hunter/Warrior and Warrior/Hunter). It mostly went well with stuff like Scholar Ophilia as an omnicaster and Thief Cyrus so he can steal SP for himself and have bossfight utility, but I ran into a small issue: are there any skills in Merchant that are any good as subclass options? I ended up wanting to double up on Warrior for both Therion and Tressa (TRESSA SMASH), and not sure who to put Apothecary on. Someone sell me on Merchant and who it would be good to slap it on.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was bored and started planning out who I want to give which subclasses to now that we know what skills each class gets, with an unspoken rule of no repeats and no reciprocal subclasses (So nothing like Hunter/Warrior and Warrior/Hunter). It mostly went well with stuff like Scholar Ophilia as an omnicaster and Thief Cyrus so he can steal SP for himself and have bossfight utility, but I ran into a small issue: are there any skills in Merchant that are any good as subclass options? I ended up wanting to double up on Warrior for both Therion and Tressa (TRESSA SMASH), and not sure who to put Apothecary on. Someone sell me on Merchant and who it would be good to slap it on.

I honestly think that if you wanted to go full support Ophilia, you could subclass her as a merchant just for the BP donation ability. It’d also let you get the support ability that lets you have a 25% chance to use items for free, so you could just have a heal/BP donating/item chucking/ buff giving support monster that’s facilitates the rest of the fighters. I wonder if the item support ability from Merchant could also be useful for Alfyn’s concoct ability’s, though I have my doubts about that. You can also subclass Merchant to Cyrus and have him have fire/water/earth/wind attacks and while I didn’t pick them, I’m sure Rest or the one that lets you 100% dodge the next hit would be useful on characters too.

EDIT: I checked the subreddit and someone mentioned something that was really cool. No matter who you start with, if you collect characters clockwise or counterclockwise, the first 4 characters you get will always have unique path actions therefore letting you have access to all of them relatively easily from the beginning of the game. Just thinking about the amount of thought and planning that must’ve gone into this game is really staggering and it just makes me love this game more. :allears:

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 17, 2018

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Oh man. 1 minute into Tressa and now I can't imagine her not being on my team.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

jimmydalad posted:

I honestly think that if you wanted to go full support Ophilia, you could subclass her as a merchant just for the BP donation ability. It’d also let you get the support ability that lets you have a 25% chance to use items for free, so you could just have a heal/BP donating/item chucking/ buff giving support monster that’s facilitates the rest of the fighters. I wonder if the item support ability from Merchant could also be useful for Alfyn’s concoct ability’s, though I have my doubts about that. You can also subclass Merchant to Cyrus and have him have fire/water/earth/wind attacks and while I didn’t pick them, I’m sure Rest or the one that lets you 100% dodge the next hit would be useful on characters too.

EDIT: I checked the subreddit and someone mentioned something that was really cool. No matter who you start with, if you collect characters clockwise or counterclockwise, the first 4 characters you get will always have unique path actions therefore letting you have access to all of them relatively easily from the beginning of the game. Just thinking about the amount of thought and planning that must’ve gone into this game is really staggering and it just makes me love this game more. :allears:

You could even pick characters on one path, then decide that no, you want characters that are on the other end, and no matter how many characters you ended up recruiting on the clockwise path, going counter-clockwise still gives you a full party that contains all path actions before you get to the duplicates. Or even if you zigzag and recruit everyone close to you first, you can still get a full party with all types of path actions. It's extremely well planned.

Also, apparently, while boosting does boost it, some say that Tressa's Hired Help does not scale when you level her up, which means the ability will lose it's luster later on as a means of getting her all kinds of weaknesses with good damage (but still works for just hitting elemental weaknesses to get you that much closer to whittling down an enemy's shield points).

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'd imagine there has to be some kind of scaling. It might not be that every level it gets stronger. There could be breakpoints based on the level or even tied to progressing her story.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I don't think anyone got the joke :smith:

Your Computer posted:

you're free to pick whoever you want, friend

as long as pick Tressa

The most convincing argument

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

On reflection, one of the things that I didn’t appreciate at the moment until now was the bosses. While not incredibly difficult, you couldn't just rush at them without a strategy and hope to win. Strategic healing, quickly finding their weakness and exploiting their shield levels all felt rewarding and were necessary towards winning. It didn’t feel like I could just grind and HP sponge my way to victory, which is refreshing in a JRPG.

Also, I’m just trying to think of things I’ve overlooked and I believe items were one of them. Maybe it’s because I started with a Tressa, but you get a lot of access to not only restorative items, but quite a few status inflicting and elemental damage items. With her ability to sometimes use items for free, I wonder if you could really go full item slinger and take advantage of the utility that items can provide. Granted, you’d need to grind up money with Tressa and steal items with Therion to sell, but it does open up avenues to pursue.

There’s something about theorycrafting with this game that is really exciting and not knowing a lot about the larger story is really cool as well. I can’t believe how much I’m in love with a game that hasn’t been released yet. It feels like there’s so much potential.

Also I fully admit I’m a member of the cult of Tressa because young merchant girl is the best JRPG protagonist. I will always appreciate the more lighthearted start of her story. Let’s go on adventures!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SpaceDrake posted:

I got it after re-reading your username :downs:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Please explain it to me like I’m 5 because I’m a self-admitted bag of rocks for brains.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

jimmydalad posted:

Please explain it to me like I’m 5 because I’m a self-admitted bag of rocks for brains.

He’s one of the people that brought over Recettear.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

He’s one of the people that brought over Recettear.

Ohhhhhh, I didn’t know that. That’s cool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay what on earth is going on with the faux old English. It's like they sort of try during some dialogue and then mid-conversation they'll just start addingen en to everyen worden. :psyduck:

Like, I've played enough Dark Souls to be used to the typical "doest thou even'st" type fantasy language but what is it with all these -en endings

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah that's one of my major gripes too. lovely half baked faux old English isn't a deal breaker for me though. I just set voices to Japanese and read quickly so I can get to the good parts of the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
"Capitalism, ho!"

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
As far as I've seen the super thick Ye Olden Englishen Dialogueen is only in H'aanit's village, everyone else talks normally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide whether to start with Alfyn or Therion in the final game. I really like Alfyn's general story setup and attitude, but Therion is really fun from a gameplay perspective (a boosted HP Thief is a full self-heal and a ton of damage, it's awesome).

Though I think I like Alfyn's voice acting better so he's probably the one I'll start with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can play all 8 origins when the party's assembled, so choosing isn't that important for the full game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Afaik your first character will be the only character you can't just swap out of the party?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like there's gotta be some level of importance for who you pick first, given that they're introduced with "you" pronouns and everyone else is third-person. Like whoever you pick first is supposed to be "you." I have no idea if that will actually matter at all but it seems like it will.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Does anyone seem like an objectively bad choice for first char?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Not really. Helps that their stats and skillset are all optimized to excel in the role of their primary class.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Played the demo; went north and grabbed the mage dude and cleric girl after starting with merchant girl.

I think the only main thing I don't like so far is there doesn't seem to be much interaction between characters at this point? Hopefully it gets better later but nobody says anything when they join and there's no banter or anything; it makes the party feel a bit sterile.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RoyalScion posted:

I think the only main thing I don't like so far is there doesn't seem to be much interaction between characters at this point? Hopefully it gets better later but nobody says anything when they join and there's no banter or anything; it makes the party feel a bit sterile.

It’s not just sterile; it’s weird as hell. It feels like one character is just silently tagging along for somebody else’s loner origin story. It’s like they’re not actually together, but in some weird parallel dimension with their actions overlapping.

It’ll be weird if we reach the end of the game and they’re like “Wow, we’ve been through so much together!” without having previously acknowledged each other.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I just want to discover cool ways to defeat enemies using different abilities. Most rpg stories are cliche and hamfisted anyways. So I am completely ok with merchant girl wants to go on adventure to see the world and along the way meets cleric girl who must light fires or some poo poo to keep evil at bay.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm still slowly working on the 3D model but unwrapping and texturing is a pain in the butt and I'm out of practice :negative:

at this rate it'll only be a few years until I've made lovely models of the entire cast

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The recent interview with the developers suggest that the reason why there's little to no conversation at the beginning of the game is because you can straight up not recruit characters and still beat the game.

Also bee lining the game takes 50 hours which what the gently caress.