Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I haven't counted my hours because I'm sure it's up there as well. I know that between DS3 and Bloodborne I must have at least 500 hours but it's probably more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FuzzySlippers posted:

I never beat this on release and coming back I am so incredibly bad at Souls games now. Any suggestions for a build especially good for terrible players?

Strength. Endurance. Great Club.* Heavy armor. Smash everything.

*Vordt's works nicely as well, but you need to know where to get Demon Titanite.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I just noticed I've played over 640 hours of Souls games. I haven't even played Bloodborne. What the hell.

I'm clocking around 350h of DS1 across three releases (xbox360, PC and PS4). 250ish of DS2 on PC, 300h of DS3 between PC amd PS4 and 400h in Bloodborne. :shepface:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Dan Didio posted:

There is a Carthus Curved Greatsword, though.

Mmm mmm mmm :discourse:

I slapped a raw gem on that baby and I love the crap out of this weapon. I couldn't even really tell you why. I just love the look and the moveset and it's never done me wrong all the way up through NG+6? or something along those lines and all the DLC areas and bosses. I love that thing with a passion.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Paracelsus posted:

*Vordt's works nicely as well, but you need to know where to get Demon Titanite.

I would have suggested Vordt's, the moveset is less fun than the Greatclub, but frost is no joke. As they use different upgrade materials, scale off the same stat, and are available early, why not both?

Also, you mean Titanite Scales. Enjoying the remaster? ;)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I never beat this on release and coming back I am so incredibly bad at Souls games now. Any suggestions for a build especially good for terrible players?

Can't go wrong with a STR build and the biggest weapon you can find. Vordt's Hammer is an amazing weapon and you get it very early in the game.

You could also try a DEX build with anything that isn't comically oversized like a Katana, Rapier, or Curved Swords.

Or just do a quality build (STR+DEX hybrid) and use whatever weapon you want with a refined gem infusion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’m doing my first playthrough and am definitely not good at this game and have been doing fine with a fairly standard quality build. Start with knight, pump VIG to 27 to get like 1300hp, then add some VIT/END, then pump STR and DEX. I got the Deep Axe early on which was fine to get up to Vordt’s Hammer, then I used that for a while, and now I’m using a greatsword. The longsword you start with is also very good.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Alternatively use Raw an fire weapons an pour levels into vig,end, an vit. A friend did this an very early like lv 20 starting as deprived he has almost 1k hp, shrugs off back stabs an ripostes an does reasonable damage with raw long sword, wood hammer, an poison arrows.

Dude takes 500+ dmg ripostes an just laughs at invaders.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Like others have said for a first time build, you can't go wrong with throwing fire (starter item) or raw on something, then stacking up your stamina and hp. You can get a katana at Firelink and even a starter sword is fine for minimize early stat investment, if you do a knight starter.

If you still want easy mode through the back half of the game, high strength and equip load for great shields is the way to go. Have a dark sword and whatever fuckoff huge weapon that you enjoy, so you can either chip away between fast attacks or lay on heavy damage when you can use a slower attack. Curved greatsword and ultra greatsword with big sweeping attacks are amazing for groups of enemies.

Guillermus posted:

I'm clocking around 350h of DS1 across three releases (xbox360, PC and PS4). 250ish of DS2 on PC, 300h of DS3 between PC amd PS4 and 400h in Bloodborne. :shepface:

Been considering a ps4 just for Bloodborne, knowing I'll dump hundreds of hours into it. I have 200-300 hours in each of the Dark Souls on PC. And I'd have already done this if Shadows Die Twice was announced as ps4 exclusive.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

There is something so satisfying about the great hammers in this game. They just got the gravity of the hit so 'just right'. It really does feel like you're hitting someone with a tree trunk. I'm playing a strength build and I brought up a gargoyle flame hammer to +6 just for fun and it's a hoot to smash things with.

Also, I'm around SL85 and every single person I've tried to summon to help with Dancer has been terrible. For some reason, solo, I get her down to like 2 more hits and always lose it right at the end so I spend some embers (that I never use) and everyone I've brought into the fight has been...terrible. I don't usually like to criticize, but c'mon...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dancer is just really hard to co-op. She has a wild flailing combat style and massive range, meaning it can actually be harder to dodge her moves when there's the unpredictable element of a second person sprinkled in.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So armor is worth it in this one? All my Souls knowledge is squished from all the games and I was remembering armor being only for fashion. I also recall crush damage weapons like maces being godly but I think that was DS2. Magic/Pyro/Prayers not worth bothering with? So far I'm just pumping health + stamina and quality seems like a good idea to not have to commit to anything. Looking out for a big weapon.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

FuzzySlippers posted:

So armor is worth it in this one? All my Souls knowledge is squished from all the games and I was remembering armor being only for fashion. I also recall crush damage weapons like maces being godly but I think that was DS2. Magic/Pyro/Prayers not worth bothering with? So far I'm just pumping health + stamina and quality seems like a good idea to not have to commit to anything. Looking out for a big weapon.

Armor is basically just for fashion but make sure you keep a piece in every slot or you'll take loads more damage.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raposa posted:

Armor is basically just for fashion but make sure you keep a piece in every slot or you'll take loads more damage.

the fashion penalty is the worst thing about DS3 :sigh:

You take a flat damage increase (around 10% per slot?) if you don't have armor equipped. That's on top of the armor you lose by not equipping anything in that slot, obviously.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Armor makes a difference if you get your absorption numbers high enough.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Armor also makes a difference if you can squeeze enough poise out of it while wielding a large weapon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Please, think of your local struggling Darkmoon, wear 'Way of the Blue' when you're in that fabled city on the hill.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You know you've played too much DS3 when you can full clear all the way through to the Undead Settlement in one go with out death and in less than 30min

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Pplease, don't make me grind Silver Knights, I need my Concord fix.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I finally loving did it, I beat DS3. I hate that last boss with all my heart, gently caress this game....starting journey 2 now...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

pro starcraft loser posted:

I finally loving did it, I beat DS3. I hate that last boss with all my heart, gently caress this game....starting journey 2 now...

Which last boss?

Soul, Gael, Freida or King?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Gridlocked posted:

Which last boss?

Soul, Gael, Freida or King?

Old demon king?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

asio posted:

Old demon king?

I wouldn't count the Old Demon King as a "last boss" considering he's accessible earlier then the above bar Freida if you're a pro and pyromancer builds go after him as early as right after the Watchers.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

asio posted:

Old demon king?

Surely he meant the Nameless King

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Left Curse-Rotted Greatwood for last

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, seriously, if anyone wants to give me thier Proof of a Concord Kept at this point, I'm not above begging.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you cant trade covenant items so its not really about how hard you beg. if youre on pc just use cheat engine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Iretep posted:

you cant trade covenant items so its not really about how hard you beg. if youre on pc just use cheat engine.

I am not on PC, so I guess I'm just going to have to do a whole nother Faith based character to get the final 'get all miracles' trophy, because I forgot to get my Proofs early on before I outleveled people using Way of Blue and made it impossible.

Why on earth did From take out the Blue Eye Orb.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I'll be honest, I had to do the same and I ended up just farming the knights because even being in the best level range to be summoned i never got any hits. Or if I did get summoned the host would die to the level before I found the invaders.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I got summoned pretty consistently around Undead Settlement/Farron Keep levels as a Sentinel and that's mostly where I enjoy playing the PvP the most, so it's not a big deal, I'm just a little frustrated I'll have to go through and do pretty much all the bosses again because my dumb rear end forgot I shouldn't do Darkmoon blade last.

I might just farm the knights, though. They're super easy to slaughter, so it's not a big deal, either way.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

The real problem is the DM requires a player to be in range, have way of the blue on an some people don't even find it, have proper weapon level, get invaded an not die fast, and not be capped on friendly phantoms.

That is a lot compared to Aldritch or Fingers.

Blue eye orb was the better method.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It all adds up, but I think the biggest problem is people not having Way of Blue on past a certain point and being invadeable. I bet there's a pretty thin crossover between people who are consistently embered up and playing online and people who aren't comfortable being invaded past say, Farron's Keep.

It'd be interesting if they made either everybody invadeable, or made solo hosts of embers as likely to get invaded as groups, but made the benefits of Way of Blue inherent for them. Not that it really matters at this point.

At the very least they should have made it so that Aldrich's Faitful and Blade of the Darkmoon auto-invade each other within Anor Londo, and gain the benefits of defeating one another regardless of wether they're summons/invading at the time.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 17, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I want an area where people who have invaded an killed just have hordes of Dark Moon hunting them.

Basically Anor Londo but just constant warfare. All Dork Moons all the time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

For_Great_Justice posted:

I want an area where people who have invaded an killed just have hordes of Dark Moon hunting them.

Basically Anor Londo but just constant warfare. All Dork Moons all the time.

In 2 this actually happenend everywhere if you became a wretch. Basically if you kill too many hosts as a red your invasion timer for blue cops dissapears and you just keep getting invaded by them until your sin goes down enough. I loved that system and im sad 3 didnt bring it back.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Just another reason why Dark Souls 2 was the best of them all.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The main problem with the wretch system is its tedious to get cracked orbs so its pretty hard to reach 100 sin normally. Only reason i reached it constantly was i cheated in cracked orbs with cheat engine. They had a good idea going on but they ruined it by limiting the amount of invaders. I almost never saw normal invaders in my games because i imagine it was too annoying to farm for cracked orbs.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Gridlocked posted:

I wouldn't count the Old Demon King as a "last boss" considering he's accessible earlier then the above bar Freida if you're a pro and pyromancer builds go after him as early as right after the Watchers.

Nah he's the last boss coz he's a pain in the bum and it's better to just cheese him with an endgame build (and you can still get the cuculus set).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Old demon king is a joke. Just poison him and stab his butt.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Just another reason why Dark Souls 2 was the best of them all.

I'm sorry you fell down and hit your head today. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

And Tyler Too! posted:

Old demon king is a joke. Just poison him and stab his butt.

Dark Souls III: Just poison him and stab his butt.