Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Our Brave Land Commissioner doesn’t support this, but also it’s the Democrats’ fault

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1007686570059673600?s=21

A regular Profile In Courage, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dameius posted:

There is a Parks and Recreation episode, wherein at a public forum there was an old white lady who opposed the idea of a new park javing a basketball court because basketball courts attract certain undesirable people.

She is the living embodiment of Dallas.

More like the living embodiment of the Dallas suburbs.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This looks like it does a good job in discussing the negative population growth in Austin during the decade where the city otherwise experienced a 20% population boom.

North Dallad gives off the impression that they are better than the rest of Texas because money, while a lot of Austin breeds the same mindset, but because they are some liberal bastion frontier post holding back the scourge of moustache twirling Texas redneck conservatism.

Either way, they are full of themselves and riped to be mocked.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1008394156585160704

Woke Beto. A couple other congressional candidates showed up to this but I'm not sure who besides Julie Oliver (US-25)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dameius posted:

Either way, they are full of themselves and riped to be mocked.

"If I were to choose one example of the Texas penchant for ludicrously overestimating local achievement, my example would certainly be the city of Austin." --Larry McMurtry

Lotta history that Austin has yet to reconcile (pretty much the story of Texas at large) and I can't help but want to stay here and be a part of moving it forward.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

"If I were to choose one example of the Texas penchant for ludicrously overestimating local achievement, my example would certainly be the city of Austin." --Larry McMurtry

Lotta history that Austin has yet to reconcile (pretty much the story of Texas at large) and I can't help but want to stay here and be a part of moving it forward.

It will never not be true: the best and worst parts of Texas are the people.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm already here - you will find that there is very little here. It's an uglier, less humid version of East Texas
Amarillo, I am in you. I just tried the tap water because of this thread and holy lol y'all ain't kidding.

It's cool and breezy outside. That's nice.

I also saw a fabled Toot N' Totum. My mother grew up here and she said they always called them Fart N' Fetchum.

Edit: My mother informs this water is also full of flouride and good for your teeth. Bottom's up!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 18, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am now in the Waffle House. There are two really old white people here and a friendly waitress.

Edit: More exciting updates as I get them! This place, the Panhandle, is mysterious and I intend to uncover its secrets.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 18, 2018

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ted Cruz won that basketball game against Jimmy Kimmel? How the hell does that guy win any physical contest of any kind what the gently caress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Comrayn posted:

Ted Cruz won that basketball game against Jimmy Kimmel? How the hell does that guy win any physical contest of any kind what the gently caress

Trump beats Hillary and we're still surprised when some useless full-of-themself liberal gets owned by one of the worst people in the world?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Trump beats Hillary and we're still surprised when some useless full-of-themself liberal gets owned by one of the worst people in the world?

Trump win may have ushered in an era of incomprehensible stupidity but I thought the laws of physics would still apply and I just don’t see how blobfish man manages to make a basket let alone beat a normal human.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Comrayn posted:

Trump win may have ushered in an era of incomprehensible stupidity but I thought the laws of physics would still apply and I just don’t see how blobfish man manages to make a basket let alone beat a normal human.

He practiced and Kimmel didn't - no fadeaway Js but his layup was reliable. It's wild how much free time Senators have when they're reducing & dismissing the concerns of their constituents.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Amarillo, I am in you. I just tried the tap water because of this thread and holy lol y'all ain't kidding.

It's cool and breezy outside. That's nice.

I also saw a fabled Toot N' Totum. My mother grew up here and she said they always called them Fart N' Fetchum.

Edit: My mother informs this water is also full of flouride and good for your teeth. Bottom's up!

This weather is unusually pleasant, enjoy it while it lasts.

I would recommend going somewhere but uh... enjoy Amarillo.

The food's not as bad as you'd think, given the location. Decent Mexican and BBQ if you're there for another day.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

This weather is unusually pleasant, enjoy it while it lasts.

I would recommend going somewhere but uh... enjoy Amarillo.

The food's not as bad as you'd think, given the location. Decent Mexican and BBQ if you're there for another day.
Thanks. Yeah I'm hitting up a Mexican place tomorrow I think and also possibly the city's lone gay bar -- the town seems like it needs it.

It smells like cowshit in parts.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Accurate and evergreen.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I went to a brewery there around Thanksgiving and enjoyed it. Don't remember the name though. The sunsets are gorgeous.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Thanks. Yeah I'm hitting up a Mexican place tomorrow I think and also possibly the city's lone gay bar -- the town seems like it needs it.

It rained really heavily last couple days, so it shall smell of poo poo all over!

My favorite Mexican place is El Manantial, but I've heard good things about Tejavan and Bracero. Also heard that the gay bar is poppin' from college students, not sure how accurate that is.

EDIT: And yelp has a manantial $10 for $20 coupon, FWIW

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 18, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gay bars are always the liveliest places. Anyone remember Charlie's next to the capitol building?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Manantial it is!

I remember Charlie's. That place was fun in that they didn't skimp on the liquour in mixed drinks and it was sketch. Saw a trans girl totally jack a straight woman's broach by getting in her face: "Did you touch my rear end!? Because I'm going to start some poo poo on a bitch!" which put the woman on the defensive before the trans girl switched to a faux look of regret and "Oh no I am SO sorry I got the wrong person I am really really sorry" and then leaning in for a hug and *knick* she grabs the broach and books it. The other woman didn't notice it was gone for several minutes.

Also was greeted by the doorman once who said "Did you hear Ellen Degeneres died?" Oh my God no ... what happened? "She drowned going down in Ricki Lake!"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Manantial it is!

I remember Charlie's. That place was fun in that they didn't skimp on the liquour in mixed drinks and it was sketch. Saw a trans girl totally jack a straight woman's broach by getting in her face: "Did you touch my rear end!? Because I'm going to start some poo poo on a bitch!" which put the woman on the defensive before the trans girl switched to a faux look of regret and "Oh no I am SO sorry I got the wrong person I am really really sorry" and then leaning in for a hug and *knick* she grabs the broach and books it. The other woman didn't notice it was gone for several minutes.

Also was greeted by the doorman once who said "Did you hear Ellen Degeneres died?" Oh my God no ... what happened? "She drowned going down in Ricki Lake!"

loving lol, oh my god i miss Charlie's

in like 2005 i hit a bong out on the back patio while already drunk and projectile vomited running to the back port-a-potty, and nobody gave a poo poo

that was the last place i remember having dollar pints, too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds like Charlie's.

I met Rick Perry's gay butler there once too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I bet he's the guy who did Tarot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bill DiBlasio touting the "Texas Model" of top 10% acceptance into colleges right now on NPR

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JosefStalinator posted:

It rained really heavily last couple days, so it shall smell of poo poo all over!

My favorite Mexican place is El Manantial, but I've heard good things about Tejavan and Bracero. Also heard that the gay bar is poppin' from college students, not sure how accurate that is.

EDIT: And yelp has a manantial $10 for $20 coupon, FWIW

My favorite Mexican place up in the Panhandle was Montelongo's, but that's in Lubbock which is a bit of a drive for food (even if Amarillo and Lubbock are "close" by Texan standards). Metal bars in the windows/doors. Directly across the street from the steel mill/railroad. Menu was printed out pictures of the food with a cheap, plastic billboard announcing prices. You had to order and pay before you sat down.

After I graduated Texas Tech my mom wanted to take me to the fine dining places around town (a few, there's plenty of rich white people with kids attending TTU). When we ran out of places that looked halfway decent in Texas Monthly I took them there and was promptly publicly embarrassed by my mom throwing a fit about eating at such a dive and having to stand up to order. After my dad and I dragged her in via asking if she'd rather eat at Subway I got my revenge: as we left she quietly muttered that out of all the places she'd taken me they had the best food and best service by a mile. :smug:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Bill DiBlasio touting the "Texas Model" of top 10% acceptance into colleges right now on NPR

Genuinely curious because I don't know much about it - is the model bad? I always thought it was a decent way to backdoor in underrepresented communities because Texas is basically segregated so top 10% of all schools means a higher portion of Hispanic/black students are accepted from majority non-white schools.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Genuinely curious because I don't know much about it - is the model bad? I always thought it was a decent way to backdoor in underrepresented communities because Texas is basically segregated so top 10% of all schools means a higher portion of Hispanic/black students are accepted from majority non-white schools.

I don't know if it's changed since I was in high school, but it was hated by white people. Because the people out in the loving sticks had high school classes of 20 kids, so barely anyone benefited. Then the kids in the hyper-rich suburbs went to school with a bunch of type A climbers, so getting top 10% there meant having a 4.3 gpa.

Also I'm sure they weren't too keen on having more minorities in colleges.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Quandary posted:

I think there was a study in the Tribune or something that said it mostly benefited white women and Hispanics but I can’t find it at the moment. It doesn’t help as much as you would think, if I remember correctly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Badger of Basra posted:

I think there was a study in the Tribune or something that said it mostly benefited white women and Hispanics but I can’t find it at the moment. It doesn’t help as much as you would think, if I remember correctly.

see also, how white women have been affirmative action's biggest beneficiary while simultaneously being among its fiercest opponents

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I wonder if Abby is still mad. I hope so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Duh, but Uresti announced his resignation, due to crimes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ted Cruz wants to fix the family separation crisis by deporting all of them faster :thunk:

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/18/ted-cruz-immigrant-families-together-border-texas

quote:

"It will include provisions that mitigate the problem of family separation while improving the immigration court process for unaccompanied children and families apprehended at the border," he said. "To the greatest extent possible, families presenting at ports of entry or apprehended crossing the border illegally will be kept together while waiting for their court hearings, which will be expedited.”

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Badger of Basra posted:

Ted Cruz wants to fix the family separation crisis by deporting all of them faster :thunk:

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/18/ted-cruz-immigrant-families-together-border-texas

He's also staring his own separate "Trump needs to stop these crimes against humanity" bill. You know...completely separate from the Dem one that is only a few votes short of being brought to the floor? Almost as if he's actually starting to run scared and wants to do be seen doing something, anything without actually doing something, anything constructive.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My Panhandle trip continues. :iiam:

Went with Tejavan, which also led me into identifying the local Bandidos supporters club, the Sicarios (i.e. Assassins) who were eating inside wearing Bandidos colors but no bottom rocker patches, as the Bandidos allow supporter groups to operate as long as they adopt similar colors, do not wear a Texas bottom rocker, and have supporter club tags on their bikes like so:

It was okay -- they were inside and couldn't see me taking a pic. :mmmhmm:

Edit: Even spotted a few yuppies in downtown Amarillo. Geeze -- they're everywhere!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1009074399683727360

That ought to do it

e: This is getting re-tweeted a lot by national reporters who are like "This is the REPUBLICAN speaker of the House btw". He doesn't really have a constituency anymore.

e2: lol
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1009112549713989632

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 19, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/delawareonline/status/1009412858063405056

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

They just removed the "America is a Christian Nation" billboard in Dallas due to complaints. The Dallas Baptist pastor went on Fox News to complain about liberals. Guess you cant be Christian and also a democrat. Here's a dallas morning news article about it from yesterday:

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/faith/2018/06/18/first-baptist-dallas-america-christian-nation-billboard-removed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RisqueBarber posted:

They just removed the "America is a Christian Nation" billboard in Dallas due to complaints. The Dallas Baptist pastor went on Fox News to complain about liberals. Guess you cant be Christian and also a liberal. Here's a dallas morning news article about it from yesterday:

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/faith/2018/06/18/first-baptist-dallas-america-christian-nation-billboard-removed

Oh is that news to you?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh is that news to you?

Yes. It was published yesterday and no else here has posted it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RisqueBarber posted:

Yes. It was published yesterday and no else here has posted it.

I should have just quoted the "guess you can't be Christian and a liberal" bit :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I should have just quoted the "guess you can't be Christian and a liberal" bit :thejoke:

Oh my bad. I just really hate the "you're either with us or against us" mentality. It makes even the worst people(Trump) look good because "at least he's not a democrat". Being liberal is the worst thing you can be in their minds. Which is really sad.