Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

how many boxtops did it cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

how many boxtops did it cost

drat

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Just got this game West of Loathing. Narration-wise, it exactly like MSPA, not to mention the brutally simplistic b&w art, dialog structured in logs, and ridiculously detailed character stats. It also has great music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVrlS3_09Gw

Highly recommend

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 11, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was sure Kingdom of Loathing would be totally gone and forgotten by now. Kinda glad it's not though.

As a side-note, an album including songs from several music team favorites is coming out on 6/12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXumGLC3zAc
That's right! You can finally get the full version of that music that plays in the background of Michael Guy Bowman's infamous Radiation is Now on Youtube video!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
one day aranea will have a dedicated song

one day

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What did you do to your avatar?

Which MSPA composer would you most want to doi Aranea's theme?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

someone else bought it for me because i like marie antoinette nearly as much as i like aranea

i never asked for this

and tensei obvs

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bill Bolin

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Have there been any good albums from the music team since the comic ended? There probably are some that I missed.

Although I really lost my appetite for more stuff from Bowman after seeing him on Twitter explaining that depression isn't real and people should just get over it if they're sad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was reminded of Homestuck's deserts full of lovely artifacted Statues of Liberty in the wasteland today and that preceded the Vaporwave aesthetic of greek statue in a neon grid desert. Kinda wish Homestuck was around to keep satirizing bits of internet culture debris but I guess it's sort of of-its-era on those topics and we're under a new paradigm now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

homestuck is an integral part of the landscape it once tried to mock

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I remember back around the start of the comic that Hussie brought in SBaHJ so heavily so the kids would have a bunch of memes to reference without dating the comic by referencing real memes.

By the time Gamzee (and all the Miracles references) got put in, I guess Homestuck was a big enough phenomenon that there was no point trying to divorce it from the time period any more, and the topical meme jokes just kept on coming from there.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm glad it's of it's time
a nice little time capsule of internet culture

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I mean, Discord arrived and more or less rearranged the Messenger landscape. Trollian as a Trillian stand-in securely locks Homestuck into its time.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I reread some of the comic the other day, and I have concluded that the part between the kids landing in the new session and Game Over is probably the best part of the comic.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
One of the very first jokes in the entire comic is about Barack Obama's then-3-month-old presidency so I'm not really sure where this idea that "Homestuck was meant to not be dated" comes from.

Also Hiveswap Friendsim rather directly addresses vaporwave as a thing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The world ended on 4/13/2009 in this comic

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The Beta Universe did, the Alpha didn't. It's why they dressed up as the Terrible Ghostbusters Remake in Cohen's snapchats.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

One of the very first jokes in the entire comic is about Barack Obama's then-3-month-old presidency so I'm not really sure where this idea that "Homestuck was meant to not be dated" comes from.

there's a difference between referencing a contemporary event and memes

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

The Beta Universe did, the Alpha didn't. It's why they dressed up as the Terrible Ghostbusters Remake in Cohen's snapchats.

Right, that was his opportunity to break out some jokes relavent to 2011

Still got dated pretty fast with all the pauses

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Tunicate posted:

there's a difference between referencing a contemporary event and memes

In terms of dating a work and marking the era in which it was created and takes place, not really.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i would say that most the 'plot relevant' references will be fine (ICP, guy fieri) but stuff like the bad ghsotbusters is just a standout example of a poor choice

then again its in the "post canon" snaps which are not even on the website or possibly even canon so oh well

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 18, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Plom Bar posted:

In terms of dating a work and marking the era in which it was created and takes place, not really.
I think there's a huge difference between referencing Obama in a work set at the beginning of his presidency and referencing, say, le ragecomics.

Also, the album did come out, looks like it's basically Volume 10 part 2, but with, uh, more vocals.
https://casualsunday.bandcamp.com/album/p-s

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 18, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Also, the album did come out, looks like it's basically Volume 10 part 2, but with, uh, more vocals.
https://casualsunday.bandcamp.com/album/p-s

I'm on Track 2 and already in love holy poo poo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

i would say that most the 'plot relevant' references will be fine (ICP, guy fieri) but stuff like the bad ghsotbusters is just a standout example of a poor choice

then again its in the "post canon" snaps which are not even on the website or possibly even canon so oh well

It's been over a year since they updated and the guy in charge of them has been fired so I think it's safe to say the post canon snapchats have been memory holed out of existence and will never be spoken of again.

Which makes me, apparently the only person who liked and was interested in seeing where the fascist overlord Jane story-line was going, kinda sad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Does anyone actually know what happened with Cohen, or is it just rampant speculation that he was fired?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 18, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Does anyone actually know what happened with Cohen, or is it just rampant speculation that he was fired?

Just about everybody at What Pumpkin got laid off after Viz Media fully took ownership and presumably replaced everyone with their own people. Near as I can tell, the only holdovers are Andrew Hussie himself and lead artist Adrienne Garcia. I'm not even sure about the latter, just that she hasn't confirmed one way or another aside from claiming ownership of some art assets in Hiveswap Friendsim.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's been over a year since they updated and the guy in charge of them has been fired so I think it's safe to say the post canon snapchats have been memory holed out of existence and will never be spoken of again.

i will never forget. who is standing outside my house yelling to forget about cohen, show yourself coward

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dave Strider would've been a SoundCloud rapper today

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ThaumPenguin posted:

Soundcloud was launched in October 2008, it's entirely possible he was uploading his mixes there in canon.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

what if homestuck still on internet

john begin chatting dabe

john: what you doin man>
dabe: i am alchamizing iphne 8 and my iphone x to make iphone ix
john: damm that's basic
dabe: wtf john

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Spellman posted:

what if homestuck still on internet

john begin chatting dabe

john: what you doin man>
dabe: i am alchamizing iphne 8 and my iphone x to make iphone ix
john: damm that's basic
dabe: wtf john

john: *dabs*

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Remember when SoundCloud was in danger of going down not too long ago?

There’s no way Hussie would have missed the opportunity to go all in on that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The epilogue is a Dave Soundcloud EP about life in Can Town

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

in the homestuck universe, soundcloud was bought out by icp and became soundclown

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

in the homestuck universe, soundcloud was bought out by icp and became soundclown

this is excellent

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cloun

Spellman
May 31, 2011

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4820

Still one of the best pages

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Plom Bar posted:

Boy I sure look forward to seeing this friendsim thing as soon as my stupid broken eyes heal, because I am surprised to learn how after all this time I am still weirdly aggravated to think there is A Homestuck Thing out there that I can't access or incorporate into years-long theories and arguments.

Other things I am looking forward to: sleeping without pain, being outdoors, continuing my career, mental wellbeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

Boy I sure look forward to seeing this friendsim thing as soon as my stupid broken eyes heal, because I am surprised to learn how after all this time I am still weirdly aggravated to think there is A Homestuck Thing out there that I can't access or incorporate into years-long theories and arguments.

Other things I am looking forward to: sleeping without pain, being outdoors, continuing my career, mental wellbeing.

i dont know what it smells like or tastes like
but i sure as hell know what it looks like
like a fuckin symphony on my retinas
poo poo is beautiful like a little vermilion picnic on my hands
every day i open my eyes i find poetry in even the simplest things
just one of those little joys in life you take for granted you know
this miraculous gift of vision

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 27, 2018