Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Farecoal posted:

confession: i hate war in all paradox games

Extremely good and correct opinion tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I do kinda wish EU4 let you hand over control of your armies to the AI to finish up the boring wars or chase down the pesky little armies. You can already automate your armies for rebel suppression, and there's already general war-fighting orders for vassal armies (aggressive, defensive, siege, etc.). It would be nice if you could just apply those orders to your own armies for the times you don't want to do it all manually.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh yeah, but past that is when it starts to get ridiculous. I've never taken a game all the way to the end date because it's just so tedious.

In fairness so's HOI because past 43-ish there's just an insane amount of divisions so you never do anything and the game slows to a crawl. I can't think of many paradox games that're fun near their end dates. Sometimes CK2 if you didn't blob too hard?

The main thing is at the START of the game in HOI you have 20+ "armies" and you will often expand more than ten or twentyfold that number. Likewise with your 200 fighters or factories or whatever. Some automation is at that point desireable, and it's definitely not the optimal way to play the game. "HOI plays itself" always smacks of being a grudge statement by someone who wanted to make everyone spend three hours tweaking orbats before they could start the game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

spectralent posted:

"HOI plays itself" always smacks of being a grudge statement by someone who wanted to make everyone spend three hours tweaking orbats before they could start the game.

HoI3 suffered from this same philosophy of desiring players to let the AI control everything, yeah, it's a shame they decided to keep that going with HoI4.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

spectralent posted:

In fairness so's HOI because past 43-ish there's just an insane amount of divisions so you never do anything and the game slows to a crawl. I can't think of many paradox games that're fun near their end dates. Sometimes CK2 if you didn't blob too hard?

The main thing is at the START of the game in HOI you have 20+ "armies" and you will often expand more than ten or twentyfold that number. Likewise with your 200 fighters or factories or whatever. Some automation is at that point desireable, and it's definitely not the optimal way to play the game. "HOI plays itself" always smacks of being a grudge statement by someone who wanted to make everyone spend three hours tweaking orbats before they could start the game.

What I really enjoy about HoI combat is that I can automate the front lines and be reasonably sure that the AI will be pushing when they can and shoring up the lines with infantry. I can then take control of whatever special units I want (tanks, special ops, whatever), and go ahead and punch through lines with specialized targeted attacks without faffing about with the tedium of moving the rest of the battle line forward. And if the enemy nation is small enough or inconsequential enough, I can just surround them with divisions, draw a battle line, and leave the AI to it while I go work on something else, like factory assignments, or research, or whatever.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dirk the Average posted:

What I really enjoy about HoI combat is that I can automate the front lines and be reasonably sure that the AI will be pushing when they can and shoring up the lines with infantry. I can then take control of whatever special units I want (tanks, special ops, whatever), and go ahead and punch through lines with specialized targeted attacks without faffing about with the tedium of moving the rest of the battle line forward. And if the enemy nation is small enough or inconsequential enough, I can just surround them with divisions, draw a battle line, and leave the AI to it while I go work on something else, like factory assignments, or research, or whatever.

This is nice when it works, but way more often when I order encirclements, the AI proceeds to cancel my order and shift units around so there's holes in the line. Then I just back off and watch the AI push forward by itself, and note the game once again reminded me I should just let it play itself, it doesn't want interaction.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

vicky 1 is good for zero dollars and if you install wiz's total conversion mod.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • Europa Universalis 4
  • Hearts of Iron 4

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

uPen posted:

• Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • Europa Universalis 4
  • Hearts of Iron 4

this guy gets it

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Beamed posted:

HoI3 suffered from this same philosophy of desiring players to let the AI control everything, yeah, it's a shame they decided to keep that going with HoI4.

and while we're at it what's with these multiple selections anyway, players should have to click every token and individually order them all to a target province.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'll just settle for the AI not running around like a scalded beaver all the time.

spectralent posted:

and while we're at it what's with these multiple selections anyway, players should have to click every token and individually order them all to a target province.
And battles should be quick time events where failing one prompt means you don't deal any damage that phase. Every battle should assign five or ten new completely random buttons on the keyboard to use, assuming the swedish layout of course. Better hope you know where ö is located.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Poil posted:

I'll just settle for the AI not running around like a scalded beaver all the time.

And battles should be quick time events where failing one prompt means you don't deal any damage that phase. Every battle should assign five or ten new completely random buttons on the keyboard to use, assuming the swedish layout of course. Better hope you know where ö is located.

Hitler teaches typing?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Hitler teaches typing?

Paradox Grand Strategy: Hitler teaches typing

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beamed posted:

This is nice when it works, but way more often when I order encirclements, the AI proceeds to cancel my order and shift units around so there's holes in the line. Then I just back off and watch the AI push forward by itself, and note the game once again reminded me I should just let it play itself, it doesn't want interaction.
This is a fair complaint but the game by no means plays itself. I've stopped playing EU4 because I am sick and tired (after at least 1k hours of playing it) of manually controlling each and every single army to occupy every single one of the my direct enemy and his five allies' land just to end a war that is over one province. Its not just the fact that I have to manually control each army, but it is also the fact that if I leave ONE province unoccupied, mercs will pop up there the second I pan my screen away and un-siege a bunch of provinces that will then spew more mercs and undo hundreds of clicks of mine. The worst part about that is that it does not change the outcome of the war *at all*, its just annoying to the player because we are not omniscient and we have limited APM. On top of that, the AI's refusal to surrender in a war when it has zero armies, zero navies, is 100% occupied, and has had 2 of its 4 allies knocked out of the war via the player destroying 100% of said allies' armies and navies its mindbogglingly stupid. "Okay so Ragusa is in a trade league with Riga....Riga has no Navy (because I sank it) and has 2k men to my 50k....they are on the other side of Europe and it is 1475, a time when traveling from Riga to the Adriatic was no small task. Oh, I have to wait three more years before Riga will white peace out or Ragusa will surrender? Okay".

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a fair complaint but the game by no means plays itself. I've stopped playing EU4 because I am sick and tired (after at least 1k hours of playing it) of manually controlling each and every single army to occupy every single one of the my direct enemy and his five allies' land just to end a war that is over one province. Its not just the fact that I have to manually control each army, but it is also the fact that if I leave ONE province unoccupied, mercs will pop up there the second I pan my screen away and un-siege a bunch of provinces that will then spew more mercs and undo hundreds of clicks of mine. The worst part about that is that it does not change the outcome of the war *at all*, its just annoying to the player because we are not omniscient and we have limited APM. On top of that, the AI's refusal to surrender in a war when it has zero armies, zero navies, is 100% occupied, and has had 2 of its 4 allies knocked out of the war via the player destroying 100% of said allies' armies and navies its mindbogglingly stupid. "Okay so Ragusa is in a trade league with Riga....Riga has no Navy (because I sank it) and has 2k men to my 50k....they are on the other side of Europe and it is 1475, a time when traveling from Riga to the Adriatic was no small task. Oh, I have to wait three more years before Riga will white peace out or Ragusa will surrender? Okay".

yeah, I'm having trouble picking EU4 back up too, the tedium of the midgame is just a grind. Maybe I'll see if Stellaris is fun yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EU4 feels like a lot of waiting to me compared to something like Ck2 which covers a similar length of time

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How can anyone say CK2 has less tedium than EU4? I'd rather move around all of my armies always than pick the education for my 13th bastard's 12th daughter

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CK2 is a much more coherent whole compared to EU4. Besides, you can ignore educating your thirteenth kid; you can't ignore moving your armies around to siege every last province.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, a new teaser image from Johan's twitter for tomorrow's Imperator dev diary:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1008382061189746688

I really just want to keep talking about this game. Is there any interest in a pre-release thread for it? This thread has been okay but there is just so much chat about EU4 mechanics and Hitler tutorials that any Imperator Rome stuff tends to get lost.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's like 2 pictures a week, not much to talk about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There isn’t anything preventing you from starting a thread but there isn’t much to talk about yet so it will probably die

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, a new teaser image from Johan's twitter for tomorrow's Imperator dev diary:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1008382061189746688

I really just want to keep talking about this game. Is there any interest in a pre-release thread for it? This thread has been okay but there is just so much chat about EU4 mechanics and Hitler tutorials that any Imperator Rome stuff tends to get lost.

Is that the cities skylines twitter birb in the top center there??

e: wait it's not there in Johan's pic, clever

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I've been telling everyone since before EU4 came out that the game should stop some time in the mid 18th century, certainly before the US Declaration of Independence at any rate and around 1750 would be fine.

The game should not attempt to simulate the French Revolution or Napoleonic warfare, or (to a lesser extent) colonial independence movements.

This also avoids issues with "Europe should be able to crush India like a bug" since large scale European conquests in India didn't happen until the latter half of the 18th century. Though the game is currently constructed so that this doesn't usually happen anyway.

It does feel like Paradox might realise this also; Imperator has a much more clearly defined scope and a full game will run for ~300 years avoiding going past the very early Roman Empire period.

Eh... I think Victoria should go from 1789 to 1920. No need to go back further than that.

EUV should be 1399 to 1789

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Victoria should definitely never hit Full Mechanization imo. I zone out at tanks and fighters and bombers.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

1748-2048 :colbert:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Victoria already having all the Latin American wars of independence over is extremely useful.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Victoria 3: Empire Earth

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

uPen posted:

There's like 2 pictures a week, not much to talk about.

2 pictures a week and a dev diary with absolutely no new information in it! :v:

Though they are supposed to be talking about pops next week which might be interesting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

reignonyourparade posted:

Victoria already having all the Latin American wars of independence over is extremely useful.
That depends on what your goal is.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-4-18th-of-june-2018.1106133/

Today’s dev diary, not much info particularly but seems to confirm its EU combat with more focus on countering opposing unit types.

Not sure what units being able to Assault means, maybe attacking cities.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Victoria 3: Empire Earth

Warlords and captains

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

2 pictures a week and a dev diary with absolutely no new information in it! :v:

Though they are supposed to be talking about pops next week which might be interesting.

I dunno, I think there might be something to chew on here. Like, everyone gets to build archers- is there any point to light infantry in that scenario? Do archers fight worse on the front row? Chariots also seem sort of pointless, and from what we're given I don't know if light cavalry have enough of an identity to be worth a split.

My experience with strategy games is that "worse but cheaper" is only ever worth using for the first war or two, and then only if you're a relatively poor faction. Actually, it seems to me that the effect of this design is to give large, rich empires a quality advantage on top of the quantity advantage they already have.

Idk it seems like this unit system is going to end up mostly ignored.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've never been particularly interested in the specifics of army compositions in paradox games, just give me the optimum allocation of infantry vs cavalry vs artillery so I can ignore it and focus on other parts of the game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm hoping the combat is more about managing multiple smaller stacks, especially with how granular the provinces are and the focus on having characters like generals play a major role. Maybe bring over the Stellaris 2.0 mechanics where armies take so long to cross the map that you need a lot of smaller ones covering various border points, commanders with limits on how many troops they can handle having under their command in a single stack, etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I find it very concerning that Camels are not noted to be good against horse cav...

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

No warpigs. Not buying.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I've never had huge problems getting people to peace out of wars in EU4. Two marches will take a lot of the random sieging off your hands tho while you chase the main enemy stack. Gotta have some lil helpers. You could take Diplo + Influence + Expansion for three extra relations and go march swarm

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

aphid_licker posted:

I've never had huge problems getting people to peace out of wars in EU4. Two marches will take a lot of the random sieging off your hands tho while you chase the main enemy stack. Gotta have some lil helpers. You could take Diplo + Influence + Expansion for three extra relations and go march swarm
The problem with this is that it requires you play a very certain way doing specific things with subjects and idea groups. I dont like playing that way and I should not have to, in addition to the fact that playing that way may not always be an option.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It really, really should. Lvl8 Forts being around every bend and needing a massive stack of artillery and bonuses to siege quickly do not simulate how Napoleonic Warfare worked at all.

Yeah Cadiz Badajoz and Lisbon were a breeze.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dunno, I think there might be something to chew on here. Like, everyone gets to build archers- is there any point to light infantry in that scenario? Do archers fight worse on the front row? Chariots also seem sort of pointless, and from what we're given I don't know if light cavalry have enough of an identity to be worth a split.

My experience with strategy games is that "worse but cheaper" is only ever worth using for the first war or two, and then only if you're a relatively poor faction. Actually, it seems to me that the effect of this design is to give large, rich empires a quality advantage on top of the quantity advantage they already have.

Idk it seems like this unit system is going to end up mostly ignored.

Chariots being useless is historically accurate :v:

Light cavalry should be vital for scouting and helping with attrition (they go ahead of the army, they forage and loot, they take a look around and skirmish enemy light cavalry, otherwise your dumb rear end gets lost in the middle of Arabia or surrounded by Hannibal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

Yeah Cadiz Badajoz and Lisbon were a breeze.
Spain+Portugal was a slightly different story though. Napoleon clobbered the Austrians, Italians, Germans, Prussians, and Russians without needing to do any protracted sieges as compared to how EU4 works. Meanwhile in EU4 you would have to take multiple years each to siege down every single prince in the HRE as well as the 5+ forts in Austria just to get them to come to the table.