Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Does arena include any stat tracking or is this another case of WOTC being bad at computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if this stupid deck that no one knows how to play against and only 1 guy can win with ends up getting Mox Opal banned.

I don't think they're going to ban a deck that can't beat a stony silence unless it takes 4 hours to combo off like eggs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't think they're going to ban a deck that can't beat a stony silence unless it takes 4 hours to combo off like eggs.

The deck is a pretty bad play experience... I'm not advocating a ban though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if this stupid deck that no one knows how to play against and only 1 guy can win with ends up getting Mox Opal banned.

I haven't been following Modern at all. Why'd the deck suddenly reappear? Something get printed (The Antiquities War?), or did they just figure out the right configuration?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

The deck is a pretty bad play experience... I'm not advocating a ban though.

Eh? If we are going to start talking about decks with bad play experience that pretty much comprises the entire tier 1 of Modern aside from poo poo like Jeskai, Mardu Pyromancer and Jund.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Rinkles posted:

I haven't been following Modern at all. Why'd the deck suddenly reappear? Something get printed (The Antiquities War?), or did they just figure out the right configuration?

Scrap Trawler and people figuring out the interaction with Chromatic Sphere/Star.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Scrap Trawler and Inventor's Fair. Eli Kassis was playing with the saga but Nass wasn't.

If they wanted to kill several birds with one stone, just get rid of Modern's best cantrip: Ancient Stirrings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnEdgelord posted:

Eh? If we are going to start talking about decks with bad play experience that pretty much comprises the entire tier 1 of Modern aside from poo poo like Jeskai, Mardu Pyromancer and Jund.

It's worse than most. But yes, I agree, modern sucks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's worse than most. But yes, I agree, modern sucks.

I still enjoy modern as a format but I can admit that most of the decks in it are pretty uninteresting and losing to any one of them causes a lot of feelbads.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
You guys keep saying "most" of the decks in modern are bad gameplay but I'm curious which specific ones you might be talking about because a quick look at the mtggoldfish meta breakdown suggests, to me at least, that there like maybe 2 decks in the top 15 that are actually bad and unfun: bogles and storm. I'll add Tron to the list I guess, although I've never really been bothered by Tron personally, I know a lot of people don't like it.

What is it about the modern meta that y'all find so objectionable?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

Well, it's not like it's just one guy that plays the deck.
There were two playing it in top8, and the 9th place finisher played it too.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

sit on my Facebook posted:

You guys keep saying "most" of the decks in modern are bad gameplay but I'm curious which specific ones you might be talking about because a quick look at the mtggoldfish meta breakdown suggests, to me at least, that there like maybe 2 decks in the top 15 that are actually bad and unfun: bogles and storm. I'll add Tron to the list I guess, although I've never really been bothered by Tron personally, I know a lot of people don't like it.

People tend to get pretty salty when you manage to hit a turn1 hollow one off a burning inquiry.

That said, playing a turn1 Burning Inquiry feels pretty good for the hollow one player. It's a super fun deck to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

If poo poo happens before I can possibly find or have an answer to it as a fair deck I find that objectionable.

If my only outs to a turn 3 Karn are a lucky Thoughtseize or a Counterspell that is a lovely state of play.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Competitive arena players seem to take slow play to a whole new level. Was able to do all the prep work and finish cooking a 10 egg breakfast casserole while playing 1 game of BO3 competitive draft this morning. I think my opponent was taking the current board state and factoring all possibilities during every single turn or something.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

mcmagic posted:

I really hope UW control makes a comeback cause thusfar i'm 4-0 against this deck in competitive on MTGO. Stony Silence and RIP is pretty much the game against this deck and I can get that online before they can get their KCI or trawler online.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Like I said I enjoy Modern but even I realize that the Turn 3-4 kills from a lot of decks means that stumbling even once on a land drop or simply not having the exact right card at the exact right moment can lead to a lot of non-games. Tbh I enjoyed modern more when Twin was the best deck because even though Twin met the criteria I just described it also demanded that every single other deck in the format have some meaningful way to interact with other deck's gameplans. Now its kind of devolved into two decks goldfishing at each other instead of really engaging with their opponent.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AnEdgelord posted:

What if it's actually all of modern???

AnEdgelord posted:

Like I said I enjoy Modern but even I realize that the Turn 3-4 kills from a lot of decks means that stumbling even once on a land drop or simply not having the exact right card at the exact right moment can lead to a lot of non-games. Tbh I enjoyed modern more when Twin was the best deck because even though Twin met the criteria I just described it also demanded that every single other deck in the format have some meaningful way to interact with other deck's gameplans. Now its kind of devolved into two decks goldfishing at each other instead of really engaging with their opponent.

You've got it exactly right.

Unban Pod.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

neonbregna posted:

Does arena include any stat tracking or is this another case of WOTC being bad at computers?

There's nothing of the sort and probably never will be, because the vast majority of players don't like to be confronted with their negative/stark average numbers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Jeff Menges will be at the Cat Draft, and he offered to do a token for the event. I asked him if he could do a spin on Black Knight, but a little happier and with cats. He'll be selling them for the price of a $1 donation to the Long Island Feline Adoption Center.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LifeLynx posted:

Jeff Menges will be at the Cat Draft, and he offered to do a token for the event. I asked him if he could do a spin on Black Knight, but a little happier and with cats. He'll be selling them for the price of a $1 donation to the Long Island Feline Adoption Center.

Should have had him do the Grizzly Bears art but with cats.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Entropic posted:

You have a bunch of cards in there that aren’t standard legal.

Standard is currently any cards that were printed in the sets Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan or Dominaria. You can use any card from those sets or any printing of a card that appears in one of those sets. E.g. you can use your Magic 2012 version of Llanowar Elves or you Battle For Zendikar printing of Gideon’s Reproach, but you can’t use borderland Ranger since it wasn’t printed in any of the above-mentioned sets.

They’ve seemingly gone out of their way to make standard legality more confusing lately — there’s supplementary products like the Explorers of Ixalan boxed game thing which sound like they’re legal ( Ixalan was just the last block! ) but are not, and they had the Planeswalker promo decks which include cards that only appear in those decks but that they’ve made a special exception for by saying those cards are technically part of whatever set the decks came out alongside.

When in doubt, look up a card at gatherer.wizards.com and check the “sets and legality” tab.

There’s also a few cards currently banned in standard. Smuggler’s Copter, Aetherworks Marvel, Ramunap Ruins, Felidar Guardian, Rampaging Ferocidon, Attune With Aether and Rogue Refiner.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look at what I have that's actually legal. With things getting reprinted from older sets I'll have a look if I have enough cards that are legal and vaguely coherent enough to make a deck. My local place does rares in after a draft and winner gets first pick, is that not the usual way of doing it? I've only done the one draft (why I have so few standard cards) and it was 9 euros. Killed a couple hours, got to play magic for the first time in years and tried drafting for the first time ever. Got the teferi guy out of it too!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

don't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

Actually that isn't why Modern sucks... Standard is MUCH more the "you miss and land drop and you just die" format right now. Modern sucks because it's too much of a rock paper scissors format.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

Should have had him do the Grizzly Bears art but with cats.

There's no Bear token in Dominaria or I would have!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ilmucche posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look at what I have that's actually legal. With things getting reprinted from older sets I'll have a look if I have enough cards that are legal and vaguely coherent enough to make a deck. My local place does rares in after a draft and winner gets first pick, is that not the usual way of doing it? I've only done the one draft (why I have so few standard cards) and it was 9 euros. Killed a couple hours, got to play magic for the first time in years and tried drafting for the first time ever. Got the teferi guy out of it too!

find another lgs imo

e: gently caress any store that does rare redrafting, don't give them your money for cards they say you don't get to keep

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

rare redraft is one of two ways of doing a draft and boy do people have opinions about it. for 9€ it's fine, don't worry about it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

not gonna lie, Rich Hagon's little Black Lotus bit was not bad

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

find another lgs imo

e: gently caress any store that does rare redrafting, don't give them your money for cards they say you don't get to keep

15 years ago I only really knew Redrafting and thought other stores doing it the normal way was kind of dumb, because people would just rare-pick. It also means that 1st place is pretty much guaranteed to be walking away with a good card.
I still kind of hold this sentiment, but the headache of doing redraft with people who you aren't familiar is a headache. Back then magic communities were much tighter so there were never any problems.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DangerDongs posted:

15 years ago I only really knew Redrafting and thought other stores doing it the normal way was kind of dumb, because people would just rare-pick. It also means that 1st place is pretty much guaranteed to be walking away with a good card.
I still kind of hold this sentiment, but the headache of doing redraft with people who you aren't familiar is a headache. Back then magic communities were much tighter so there were never any problems.

I knew none of these guys, and one of them took it super seriously. Got pissed when I beat him and left because he wouldn't get first pick for the expensive card. Other people were pretty chill though, I don't think any of us really knew what the cards were worth except the planeswalker so it was a relaxed redraft at the end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

If they wanted to kill several birds with one stone, just get rid of Modern's best cantrip: Ancient Stirrings.

My man.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

print aether vial in standard

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Heck, guys, quick, what's the play here??

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Be petty. Pop Bolas' ult.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Modern is the best for at at the moment, but making it better would be easy.

Unban the following
Pod
Twin
Ponder
Preordain
Punishing fire
Green sun's zenith
Stoneforge mystic

Print the following in standard
Force of will
Daze
Engineered plague
back to basics
Stifle
Wasteland
Price of progress

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Modern is the best for at at the moment, but making it better would be easy.

Unban the following
Pod
Twin
Ponder
Preordain
Punishing fire
Green sun's zenith
Stoneforge mystic

Print the following in standard
Force of will
Daze
Engineered plague
back to basics
Stifle
Wasteland
Price of progress

Add counterspell and this is unironically correct.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AnEdgelord posted:

Add counterspell and this is unironically correct.

I can get with that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Owlbear Camus posted:

Heck, guys, quick, what's the play here??

Wait 30 min to get more replies then do the chosen thread consensus.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

click random buttons, since I'm pretty sure that's a winning line

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Elyv posted:

click random buttons, since I'm pretty sure that's a winning line

*Teferi explodes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What other cards are there that tap an artifact for free or as a mana-less cost? E.g.; Clock of Omens