Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got a ryzen 2700, pc3400 ram, and corsair h80 cooler. On the asrock 470 mobo on asrock auto oc it is already hitting 4.2ghz at 39c and shows a package wattage of 54w on hwmonitor. Is there better utilities to track this? Seems "optimistic".

Im really happy from my fx 8350 upgrade so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wondering if I sell my 6600k, nearly new asrock extreme 4 board, and palit gamerock 1080 it'd pay for a 2700x, some Asus AMD board with decent vrms and a 1060 6GB.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That seems like a losing proposition, losing the 1080. Let's not get crazy here, that's still a very good computer, what you have.

If I were in your position, I would seek to swap the 6600K out for a 6700K, and pick up the extra threads and clock, put those to good use.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That seems like a losing proposition, losing the 1080. Let's not get crazy here, that's still a very good computer, what you have.

If I were in your position, I would seek to swap the 6600K out for a 6700K, and pick up the extra threads and clock, put those to good use.

That's.. a plan, it really is. I've been doing video editing recently and thinking about threads.

I really do like the 1080, it's an awesome card. I just keep thinking how fast that 2700x would render video.

In games though, the current box is pretty good, I'm only running 2560 * 1080 so it's got spare juice.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unless I am mistaken, a 7700K is still a better choice because it's noticeably cheaper. It might require a bios update but at the very least you're saving 50$, if not 100$.

God pricing for ageing Intel CPUs is loving dumb, especially in the wake of Ryzen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh right, 7700K uses the same socket.

Yes, if the BIOS update allows for it, swap to a 7700K and sell off the old 6600K.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like this advice. Why not. Maybe it'll clock better then this chip (4.4).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
7700k get at least 4.8ghz in general. More if you add volts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401553520220?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=401553520220&rmvSB=true

So many alarm bells going off, but if it's legit....

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
This guys rating is all from buying and he only sells 1 product with free shipping to all over the world? It's fake crap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Either that, or someone meant to start a bid auction and flubbed the settings.

I mean, yours is entirely more likely the actual reason, but I have no compunctions about going for questionable ebay listings just to see where they pan out, because it's fun.

see previous: the mysterious new-looking MX518s long after they'd been discontinued!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
For the dopes here, what does that SKU mean?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's a legit AMD SKU.

https://videocardz.com/75337/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-and-ryzen-5-2600x-available-for-preorders

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh wow, I didn't even look at the price. Maybe you just get the box? 100% rating, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Listing seemed completely legit to me as well:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It’s a hacked EBay account.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
for $20 it's probably not even a Phenom or whatever other old crap that's been silkscreened to say "ryzen" on the lid

unless someone's been collecting all of the old CPUs that AMD was sending out for free to people who needed to flash their BIOS

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

bobfather posted:

It’s a hacked EBay account.

Or some processors fell off the back of a truck.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hacked account. Don't even think they had access to the Paypal account so I don't know what the end goal was.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xae posted:

Or some processors fell off the back of a truck.

Nah, even if you wanted a quick sale, they would move fine at $200, there's no reason to sell them at $20.

It's a hacked account, we see this all the time in the GPU thread. If you want to tie up your money for two months until Paypal gets around to refunding it then fine (their buyer-friendliness does tend to disappear somewhat when there is nobody to recover the money from) but there is zero percent chance the CPU will arrive. Not 1%, not 0.0001%, zero percent.

Stop making the Russian Mafia's job easier, morons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Listing deleted, money not transferred, no harm no foul. :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD are offering winners of Intel's 8086K giveaway the opportunity to exchange their 8086K for a Threadripper 1950X :lol:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm liking this legend of zelda tradeup quest

eames
May 9, 2009

:vince:

AMD's marketing team is hilarious

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
funny regardless but isn't this kind of apples and watermelons here (threadripper being the watermelon)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Last year's Threadripper, at that. You really want to turn this into something, make them Zen+ TRs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Seamonster posted:

funny regardless but isn't this kind of apples and watermelons here (threadripper being the watermelon)
It's basically the opposite of a car manufacturer commercial; it's intended to make people feel kind of bad about owning or wanting a (6C) Intel CPU when there's something else out there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh cool, a sweepstakes for 0.1% of people who win another sweepstakes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are these pre-releases or something? Maybe AMD just wants to see what Intel is doing and plans to crack them open.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Last year's Threadripper, at that.

Appropriate!

But they missed an opportunity for a real burn on intel by promising that the threadripper chips they send out would be pre-tested for a 300 mhz overclock.

pixaal posted:

Are these pre-releases or something? Maybe AMD just wants to see what Intel is doing and plans to crack them open.

people already have them, they're binned i7-8700K chips with twiddled turbo boost numbers.

every review basically says it's a bad value for anything other than the collector or extreme OCers looking for the best cherry-picked chips. it's like a limited edition car with a trivial horsepower boost and a fancy nameplate.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pixaal posted:

They're all the top ~20% of 8700k chips that intel took off the market silently over the past however many months, screwing anyone who bought it for a high clocked single core processor.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The best thing about the whole APU debacle is once Adobe implemented opencl, it turns out the best processor us an 8700k for premiere pro

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

They're all the top ~20% of 8700k chips that intel took off the market silently over the past however many months, screwing anyone who bought it for a high clocked single core processor.

you don't need that highly-binned an 8700K to hit 5.0 GHz single-core

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the verdict on best itx board for a ryzen 2700x?

Man the prices are quite good for these. I'm looking at the ASRock X470 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac Motherboard, but is there anything with better vrms out there?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MSI made an ITX B350 "Pro" motherboard with really great VRMs and then never sold it in the west, showing it at CES this year apparently just to rub it in people's faces. So yeah, the one you're looking at is the best alternative unless they make a B450 version and actually sell it this time.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Craptacular! posted:

MSI made an ITX B350 "Pro" motherboard with really great VRMs and then never sold it in the west, showing it at CES this year apparently just to rub it in people's faces. So yeah, the one you're looking at is the best alternative unless they make a B450 version and actually sell it this time.

The B350I Pro AC. They definitely sold it in the West (or in Aus at least :australia:), I bought one for a new build mini-pc back in the first week of March.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Afaik the only other itx with a 400 series chipset that you can easily find is the Asus Rog variant, but I've not seen a proper vrm overview of that. Buildzoid went over the other asus variants and wasn't impressed, but the itx version was not out by then.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f7GxFT/asrock-fatal1ty-x470-gaming-itxac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-itxac

Is this one bad?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

you don't need that highly-binned an 8700K to hit 5.0 GHz single-core
Yeah, but what about 5.1 or 5.2 or all core!!

The gimmick chip is also presumably using tim. So you do kinda need a decent bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Khorne posted:

I understand the principle behind the resentment, but there are only 50,000 units of the 8086K - is it actually a meaningful proportion of the total, let alone 20%?

And yes, the thermal interface is the same as the rest of the bunch - they aren't soldered or liquid-metaled.