Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Leavemywife posted:

For animals in movies, how do they get paid? I mean, I'm guessing whoever owns the animal probably gets a check, but how does an animals rate of pay compare to a person's?

There was a bit in Alien 4, making of, (or maybe in the commentary) by the director Jean-Pierre Jeunet about when he really understood why big Hollywood productions are as expensive as they are. In his previous movie Delicatessen they needed a spider so he went to the attic of the building they were shooting in, caught one and they used it in the movie. In Alien 4, they also needed a spider for a pretty brief shot. In that production they had to hire in a professional spider wrangler for $50k per day, just for that. (If I remember correctly, but I'm not going and checking that right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

cyberbug posted:

There was a bit in Alien 4, making of, (or maybe in the commentary) by the director Jean-Pierre Jeunet about when he really understood why big Hollywood productions are as expensive as they are. In his previous movie Delicatessen they needed a spider so he went to the attic of the building they were shooting in, caught one and they used it in the movie. In Alien 4, they also needed a spider for a pretty brief shot. In that production they had to hire in a professional spider wrangler for $50k per day, just for that. (If I remember correctly, but I'm not going and checking that right now)

I pray to god that Spider Wrangler is his title on his business cards

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Spider wrangler is one thing, but it's no

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Why do the young punk villians in 80s B-movies laugh so much? Like, Death Wish 3, Escape from New York, I'm watching Savage Streets, same deal, endless maniacal laughter. Was it a depiction of drug use?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SimonCat posted:

Why do the young punk villians in 80s B-movies laugh so much? Like, Death Wish 3, Escape from New York, I'm watching Savage Streets, same deal, endless maniacal laughter. Was it a depiction of drug use?

It was the 80s. Have you seen what everyone was wearing? Shits hilarious.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

SiKboy posted:

It was the 80s. Have you seen what everyone was wearing? Shits hilarious.

Maybe it was side effect of all the hairspray?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It only indirectly answers your questions but I really liked this essay by Ezekiel Kweku a while back

quote:

“Decent people shouldn't live here,” says the Joker in 1989's Batman. “They'd be happier somewhere else.” Batman's Gotham — anything below 14th Street, according to Denny O’Neil — is a nightmarish, sunless New York: ugly, dirty, and violent. The very structure of the city is warped and disfigured by crime. “A city run by crime,” set designer Anton Furst called it. “It looks like hell burst through the pavement and kept on going,” said director Tim Burton. It is this hellscape that creates the film's hero, a vigilante haunted and driven by the death of his parents at the hands of a mugger. The Joker replaces the suit-and-tie mobsters who used to run the city with a gang of leather-jacketed henchmen with sunglasses and boom boxes. Their first move after consolidating power is to vandalize the city's art gallery, defacing the paintings with fluorescent graffiti. The only painting the Joker leaves untouched is Francis Bacon's Figure With Meat, a grotesque, hallucinogenic depiction of a seated man with an obliterated face, flanked by enormous slabs of raw meat. In Batman, it is civilization itself that crime seeks to raze, and the only structures it will leave standing are those that are already malevolent.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

morestuff posted:

It only indirectly answers your questions but I really liked this essay by Ezekiel Kweku a while back

There is something to that. Like the people in the 80s were terrified the new generation was literally going to go full on Road Warrior and that the "good" society of the 50s and earlier was going to be destroyed. Maybe it has its roots in the social upheaval and societal changes of the 60s?

I think it goes deeper than that though. If you watch The Wild One, which is the Ur-biker movie starring Marlon Brando, his gang is full of way too much wild exuberance, to the point of annoyance. Mainly they seem to act that way to piss off the squares, and the whole thing is incredibly cheesy, but it sets the template for roving gangs of non-sensical youths for decades to come. The movie is also best looked at as a man coming to grips with his homo-sexuality, but aren't all biker movies that in the end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsVogcZO9aY

You get this in lots of 60s biker movies, and then we move on to Jeff Goldblum's gang in Death Wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erm7QDCl-3s

Death Wish 3 goes for it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnetfIP9WE

Youth gone wild!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SimonCat posted:

You get this in lots of 60s biker movies, and then we move on to Jeff Goldblum's gang in Death Wish

One of my favourite "did you know this was Famous Actor X's first movie" examples. :D

See also: Jessica Lange in the 1976 version of King Kong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SimonCat posted:

I always felt like the idea was that if the people portrayed as violent psychopaths are enjoying it, you're a lot less likely to feel any kind of sympathy for them, and thus you're more likely to be happy to see Norris/Stallone/Bronson/Schwarzenegger/Eastwood gun them down.

I may be over analyzing it, but thinking about it, the idea feels like a lovely, really thinly veiled attempt at building a strawman. "These are the people the left want society to give a second chance to! They're the disease, this Magnum .357 is the cure!", etc.

What's weird is I like some of these movies. Commando and Escape from New York are awesome. Cobra and Raw Deal are good cheesy fun. But I sure as poo poo don't believe in violence as a solution. Although I do sometimes wish awful poo poo on scummy people.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite "did you know this was Famous Actor X's first movie" examples. :D

See also: Jessica Lange in the 1976 version of King Kong.

Also, Jim Carrey in Dead Pool, the 4th Dirty Harry movie.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Someone in the Alien thread linked this, which details a "lost" scene that a guy claimed to have seen in a very early cut: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/the-box-alien/

Anyone have any examples of more scenes cut from famous movies with basically no record left? Like material in the first cuts and screenings of a film that just get silently edited out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

morestuff posted:

Nowadays NY below 14th street is gentrified to hell and back and insanely expensive

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Someone in the Alien thread linked this, which details a "lost" scene that a guy claimed to have seen in a very early cut: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/the-box-alien/

Anyone have any examples of more scenes cut from famous movies with basically no record left? Like material in the first cuts and screenings of a film that just get silently edited out.

I don't have any specific examples, but back when novelizations of films were a big thing, they were often based on early shooting scripts so would have stuff that was either left on the cutting room floor or maybe not even shot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't have any specific examples, but back when novelizations of films were a big thing, they were often based on early shooting scripts so would have stuff that was either left on the cutting room floor or maybe not even shot.

The novella of E.T. had the alien eating M&M's. That's an important thing I remembered as a 10 year old.

Immersion ruined.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Low Desert Punk posted:

Any Kubrick film probably has a lot of that since he didn’t like to keep cut stuff around. Although with 2001 they recently uncovered the 17 extra minutes of footage used in the test screenings that Kubrick later removed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Not a scene, per se, but the earliest prints of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan omitted the "II" part from the opening credits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

The novella of E.T. had the alien eating M&M's. That's an important thing I remembered as a 10 year old.

Immersion ruined.

Spielberg pitched Mars on sponsoring product placement in the film, and they turned it down. Movie blew up using Hershey’s Reese’s pieces, so Mars came back and supposedly begged for M&Ms to be in the novel with bags of cash (can’t find evidence of amount)

In all fairness, product placement in film was very uncharted territory back then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I find it much likelier it was M&Ms in the script and they switched to Reese's when they couldn't get a deal with Mars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I find it much likelier it was M&Ms in the script and they switched to Reese's when they couldn't get a deal with Mars.

I think that’s compatible with what I said

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Any Kubrick film probably has a lot of that since he didn’t like to keep cut stuff around. Although with 2001 they recently uncovered the 17 extra minutes of footage used in the test screenings that Kubrick later removed.

The deleted footage for 2001 only exists because a set of 65mm color separation masters were created from the camera negative prior to the re-cutting after the premiere. That's how Spartacus was restored - the camera negative was cut to the shortest version, but the color separations were made prior to that. This was common because they'd make color separations from the negative prior to any prints being made so that they had a pristine source to make a duplicate negative from in case any shots in the camera negative was damaged in printing.

The "pie fight" ending of Dr. Strangelove survives, but I think it's only available to scholars at MoMA.

Some interesting ones...

Gone with the Wind's first preview screening was approx. 5 1/2 hours long, but zero deleted footage survived. Also, four shots were optically adjusted in the 1950s and cut directly into the negative.

The Wizard of Oz's premiere version was about half an hour longer. One scene survived (extended dance for Scarecrow's song), but nothing else did besides the soundtrack.

Son of Frankenstein had Technicolor test footage shot that was stolen from Universal Studios and never found again.

Doctor Zhivago was recut a month after its initial roadshow release. David Lean was rushed to make the premiere date, but MGM let him do a final cut. Edits were made on the negative, so unlikely the early edit survives. I don't think any scenes were cut - mostly just fine tuning.

The original opening scene to Sunset Blvd. survives only as stock footage trims. As studios often did, they edited all the deleted material of William Holden and vaulted the rest. A similar thing happened to the deleted scenes of the 1954 A Star is Born (in that film's reconstruction, you'll notice shots ending as soon as an actor is about to be visible on-screen when they're walking or something).

Not entirely related, but footage from London After Midnight was finally found last year. Two individual frames.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think that’s compatible with what I said

Nah, I think the book was just too far along to going to the printers for them to change it from what the original script said.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, the workprint of Star Trek II, which includes things like the dialogue establishing Saavik as half-Romulan, the full scene on the shuttle arriving at Enterprise (with Kirk telling Sulu that he just cut orders for him to become captain of Excelsior), some Saavik / David romance and other things, exists only in the archives at UCLA.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Possible, who knows

Low Desert Punk posted:

Greed (1924):

quote:

Originally almost eight hours long, Greed was edited against Stroheim's wishes to about two-and-a-half hours. Only twelve people saw the full-length 42-reel version, now lost; some of them called it the greatest film ever made. Stroheim later called Greed his most fully realized work and was hurt both professionally and personally by the studio's re-editing of it.

The uncut version has been called the "holy grail" for film archivists, amid repeated false claims of the discovery of the missing footage. In 1999 Turner Entertainment created a four-hour version of Greed that used existing stills of cut scenes to reconstruct the film. Greed was a critical and financial failure upon its initial release, but by the 1950s it began to be regarded as one of the greatest films ever made; filmmakers and scholars have noted its influence on subsequent films.

Forty two reels!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 15, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

cyberbug posted:

Thanks for the reply! I'd kind of forgotten I'd asked about that. It got lost in some other chat.

But it seems like being an animal handler could be a pretty lucrative career.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some day this discussion is going to be "they found the pre-composite raw greenscreen footage for Attack of the Clones on a hard drive backup" and folks are going to be so excited.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Possible, who knows

Greed (1924):

Forty two reels!

Les Vampires was made a decade earlier and is about the same length, though it was released as ten episodes ranging from 15-60 minutes each over the period of a year. But that was in France where serialized films were popular.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’ll never happen now but I like to imagine one of these eight hour films coming out on Netflix and watching it like a short season of tv

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I still hold out hope that one day, we'll find the lost footage from Freaks in a random insane asylum.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The weird thing is that there's deleted scenes from Casablanca that survived from the original negatives, but the sound was lost.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Actually, someone uploaded the deleted scenes with sound to YouTube in pristine quality.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want all the complete garbage television of the 50's that was lost to turn up pristine in a warehouse somewhere.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remembered another good one - the spider pit sequence from the original King Kong, removed after test audiences found it too horrifying. Only a few stills of it exist and apparently there’s no hard proof that it was even shot.

Peter Jackson & crew re-created it using 1930’s techniques as a bonus feature of the ‘33 Kong DVD releases so we have what it might have looked like, at least.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The two surviving frames of London After Midnight:

Some collector in the Canary Islands had a box with frame clippings and these were among them.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Why are Elliot & ET are linked together? I had thought it was when ET heals Elliot's finger but that happens after ET's behavior is already influencing Elliot's actions. I'm assuming I just missed it or didn't notice when they got connected.

Also, why does ET come back to life?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Why are Elliot & ET are linked together? I had thought it was when ET heals Elliot's finger but that happens after ET's behavior is already influencing Elliot's actions. I'm assuming I just missed it or didn't notice when they got connected.

Also, why does ET come back to life?

Because it's a movie.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i don't buy movies often but can someone explain the price difference here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Collec...m4383.l4275.c10

vs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0117V8BX8/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

4x on amazon vs. ebay. are the ebay copies fake somehow?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

vs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0117V8BX8/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Because Amazon are fuckers.
They are aware of trends and popularity of things, so increase prices to the increase of demand.
For example, I have been wanting to order the collected omnibus of The Preacher comic series for a few years now.
It was about 60-80 euros before the TV series started. Then when the show was trending it jumped up to 135+ euros.
Now its back down to 60-80.

Then again the Ebay ones could be second hand or as you say fake. But I would assume its my first thoughts above.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 17, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've definitely bought fake cds and dvds off Ebay before. But if the seller rating is solid then you're probably fine.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Molybdenum posted:

vs.

I think you found someones money laundering scheme. The average sold price is $100 in ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

vs.

All of those are being sold by 3rd parties through Amazon. So it’s essentially the same thing as eBay except they probably know the clientele is different so they’re trying to command a higher price.

It’s just as likely the Amazon ones are fake as the eBay ones.