Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

golden bubble posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters is cool, but Griddle Ice Hockey is cooler. It's like normal ice hockey, except the puck is a disk of ice around a tube of nitroglycerin and table is a hot metal griddle.

I assume Joey dies in this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think I've hit peak GM burnout.

My Sunday 4e Eberron game died due to a lot of scheduling conflicts and I feel kind of...done. I need a long, long break. Like, a year or longer. I feel like my GMing has gotten stale. I fall into too many of the same types of NPCs. I'm tired of player and scheduling problems. Tired of intergroup drama. Tired of adjuncting rules. Tired of improving. Tired of players not liking my ideas. Tired of players dropping out suddenly. Tired of games that don't get a proper ending. Tired of setting up maps. Tired of making NPCs. Tired of planning sessions. Tried of having to make up poo poo when I am too busy to plan.

I'm just tired of Game Mastering.

I think I need a long, long break from this hobby.

It also doesn't help that it feels like fun new games kind of just...stopped after 5e came out. Some still come out, but it feels glacial compared to how it was before.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maybe you should try Play By Post

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Seriously take a break, I'd been GMing nonstop from when D&D3 came out through Exalted, 4, Eclipse Phase, various small things, and through Eyes of the Stone Thief, and I've really enjoyed the last year or so only doing the occasional one-off. The itch to run campaigns comes back pretty fast, but I was absolutely burnt out and hadn't realised it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Maybe pick up something like Gloomhaven to scratch the dungeon crawling itch without putting the GM burden on anyone for a while.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tendales posted:

Maybe pick up something like Gloomhaven to scratch the dungeon crawling itch without putting the GM burden on anyone for a while.

Honestly, I'm much more into superheroes now. Which sucks cuz most superhero games suck and most people don't play them. And even when you can find people who do play them, a lot of them are toxic as gently caress because of comicsgate.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This is probably a mistake, but WTF is comicsgate?

Covok
May 27, 2013

golden bubble posted:

This is probably a mistake, but WTF is comicsgate?

A bunch of misogynists and bigots are attacking female, non white, and LGBT comic creators. They aren't even fig leafing it like gamergate. There stated motive is that there is too much diversity in Comic characters and comic creators and that there needs to be more straight white men characters & more Straight White Men creators.

Like, they're very open about the bigotry. Like one of the taglines is " if you think Kamala Khan should be deported." Kamala Khan is a Marvel character who is a native-born American citizen of Pakistani descent. She became very popular as her own superhero in 2014. She exploded in popularity and they're already hints that she will be added to the movies after Captain Marvel is added in as she is Captain Marvel's protege.

The main takeaway from all this though is that one of the taglines is that it is bad that there is a pakistani-american superhero and that she should be deported despite being native-born because she isn't a real American.

They also really hate these five Marvel editors who went out for milkshakes. They were all women and they use this as proof that they don't do their job. Even though it was just that upper management wanted them to go out for lunch as a team-building exercise.

It's all really frustrating. And I don't know if I can make it make sense and explain it all. See, the reality was there has been this toxic culture brewing in cape comics for a long, long, long time and comicsgate has had a lot of false starts where they literally go "and now it's comic gate" before it just dies. Hell, it technically never "started."

It really is just a bunch of bigots being assholes and wanting any excuse to kick out all the non-white cishet males from the industry.

What I can tell you is that their main leader is a YouTuber from Texas.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 18, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It really doesn't help that a lot Marvel's recent output has been pretty worthless too, resulting in people scapegoating crap like Captain America is Now A Nazi, UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ABOUT ISRAEL, and Gabby Rivera's entire run on America Chavez as being the result of "forced diversity and social justice warrior-ing" as opposed to Marvel just hiring and being awful writers. There are ways to make minority characters taking on the names/legacies of preexisting heroes go really well, (re: Jaime Reyes and Miles Morales), but in this case Marvel did a pretty awful job, leading to the aforementioned backlash/scapegoating.

And I'm sick of Cape-poo poo anyways which is why I just go in for stuff like Hellboy/BPRD, Beasts of Burden, Head-Lopper, etc.

And Sonic the Hedgehog comics.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 18, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah,

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
IN SUMMARY the best superhero comic is actually the Team Fortress 2 webcomic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

A bunch of misogynists and bigots are attacking female, non white, and LGBT comic creators. They aren't even fig leafing it like gamergate. There stated motive is that there is too much diversity in Comic characters and comic creators and that there needs to be more straight white men characters & more Straight White Men characters.

I hate people

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hate people

I made a typo.

The line should be "A bunch of misogynists and bigots are attacking female, non white, and LGBT comic creators. They aren't even fig leafing it like gamergate. There stated motive is that there is too much diversity in Comic characters and comic creators and that there needs to be more straight white men characters & more Straight White Men creators."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So it's like the Sad Puppies, who are all about the "canon" of the kind of crap Galaxy made fun of from its inception.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh,

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

So it's like the Sad Puppies, who are all about the "canon" of the kind of crap Galaxy made fun of from its inception.

Funny enough, Vox Daily, or whatever he was called, got involved in comicsgate. He planned to make a bunch of super racist comics. Like "Alt-Hero", a play on Alt-Right, about a woman dressed in the Rebel Flag beating up undocumented workers and sending them to ICE and "Captain Europe" who was literally just a guy going around beating up refugees.

This is his official preview for the Alt-Hero comic:

He ran that alt-right version of Kickstarter, that website they opened after Kickstarter refused to host their nazi stuff. He got a lot of money and...ran off with it. He canceled all the comics only a month after the campaign ended. I mean, it sucks he got money, but its funny to think of all the Nazis who got robbed.

Now, that Youtber from Texas did his own Indiegogo and made a lot of money too. Hoping he runs off with it too just to spite the Nazis who gave him money. But, I think he will actually make his comic since he was a failed comic creator who blames women, non-whites, and gay people for taking his job. Like, he tried to make comics, failed, and says its all because they gave his job to minorities because of virtue signaling. The dude got two Marvel artists, Ethan Van Scrier and someone else, who had previously lost their jobs for going on anti-semitic rants to do art of the comic. At least his book is just a really lovely book about secret agents stopping people from selling blood diamonds and not Nazi propaganda. So, you may be saying, where is the harm if the comic is just some lovely spy comic?

Well, one, the taglines for the Indiegogo campaign were "if you're tired of diversity in comics and thing Kamala Khan should be deported" and poo poo like that. And, two, he then doxxed a bunch of comic shop owners and sent his fans to harrass them -- one stole from the shop -- because they refused to stock his comic. Some because he is an open bigot, others because they believed the comic wouldn't sell because the comic looked like crap. Also, when the campaign funded, he posted a video saying racist, sexist, transphobic, and other offensive poo poo about people in the comics industry by name. This lead to his publisher dropping him. And now he's self-publishing his comic. Also, ya know, he ran and runs a lot of harassment campaigns from his youtube channel against non-white cishet male creators so the guy is a piece of poo poo. Like, there is this open trans woman artist that he hates and constantly says transphobic slurs about her and attacks her on twitter and, when pressed on it, says its okay because "there is no such thing as trans people and he isn't a woman and never can be."

Listen, I can go on and on about how D&C is a piece of poo poo. But that is probably enough for now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 18, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

I think I've hit peak GM burnout.

I joke sometimes about how the most accurate way to play out Knights of the Dinner Table is to use Dogs in the Vineyard rules. The in-game GM experiences injustice, which leads to grudge monsters, which leads to house rules, then homebrew, and eventually a TPK.

But the truth is that GMing is work. It takes effort to prep games, and it takes effort to run them, and even if it pays off that's still work to do getting there. If your life is in a place where it's getting worn down, GMing isn't going to help, it's just going to be another demand.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

Honestly, I'm much more into superheroes now. Which sucks cuz most superhero games suck and most people don't play them. And even when you can find people who do play them, a lot of them are toxic as gently caress because of comicsgate.

Non-rpg superheroes is tough.

RPG wise though Valor looks pretty promising for that kind of story, and I really like Strike! for Superheroics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Glazius posted:

I joke sometimes about how the most accurate way to play out Knights of the Dinner Table is to use Dogs in the Vineyard rules. The in-game GM experiences injustice, which leads to grudge monsters, which leads to house rules, then homebrew, and eventually a TPK.

But the truth is that GMing is work. It takes effort to prep games, and it takes effort to run them, and even if it pays off that's still work to do getting there. If your life is in a place where it's getting worn down, GMing isn't going to help, it's just going to be another demand.

That's a big mistake I've been making. I keep thinking that GMing will make me feel better because it's a social activity. But I'm so tired from work that additional work on my day off is just tiring. It really is just me adding an additional 3 hours of work to my work week and that's just not feasible.

Moriatti posted:

Non-rpg superheroes is tough.

RPG wise though Valor looks pretty promising for that kind of story, and I really like Strike! for Superheroics.

Funny enough, I was actually looking at over and considering it for a game and thinking it could work. But the problem is that no one ever runs those games. It's all D&D. And honestly, I kind of hate modern D&D. It's not really that fun to me. It's so Bland, like oatmeal. At least old D&D had character like rules cyclopedia.

And that's all anyone wants to run. And when they don't run those games they run them wrong and it's frustrating. Like you try to explain to the guy running World Wide Wrestling that NPCs never need to roll and that's fine. And that they should look at the GM section. But they don't like that cuz it's not the how D&D does it and they house rule it and then it sucks and then I just want to GM it so I can GM it right.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

Funny enough, I was actually looking at over and considering it for a game and thinking it could work. But the problem is that no one ever runs those games. It's all D&D. And honestly, I kind of hate modern D&D. It's not really that fun to me. It's so Bland, like oatmeal. At least old D&D had character like rules cyclopedia.

And that's all anyone wants to run. And when they don't run those games they run them wrong and it's frustrating. Like you try to explain to the guy running World Wide Wrestling that NPCs never need to roll and that's fine. And that they should look at the GM section. But they don't like that cuz it's not the how D&D does it and they house rule it and then it sucks and then I just want to GM it so I can GM it right.

This is super loving relateable to me.
Good news for you, is that in 5-10 years the industry will agree with you probably.
Bad news is that yeah, you're stuck with this.

Unless you live near my group, in which case, what's your mondays like?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Kwyndig posted:

This is the craziest thing I've heard of elfgame related.

Did you ever hear about the alt-furry who tried to sue for Battletech because it used one of his OCs?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Take the comicsgate chat to BSS!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's even a thread where people are chat about comicsgators every time they try to get a new outrage train rolling: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Darksaber posted:

Did you ever hear about the alt-furry who tried to sue for Battletech because it used one of his OCs?

I must know more

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Covok posted:

I'm trying to get a local weekly game going, but I'm adamant about running D&D 4E, and even the thought of just potentially running into your average modern D&D player exhausts me so much I don't bother writing the ad. I looked into an RPG forum to get a feel for the scene and that was a huge mistake because it was wall to wall 5e and posts about immersion and bragging how many combat-free sessions in a row people were up to.

Outside of that I run a roughly monthly 13th Age game, and I've started relying on premade adventures a whole lot. Sometimes I don't even read them very thoroughly in advance and just take it page by page. It works cause it's 13th Age, but I don't feel it's a great way to do things.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Covok posted:

Yeah, these days I find PBTA games and similar SO much easier to run. I don't have time, and don't really enjoy, hours of pregame prep, making tokens and maps, and trying to anticipate player choices. Infamously my 4e campaign a few years ago ended with everyone still having their starting gear because magic item stuff felt like homework. But PBTA is like being in an improv theatre group; it's great.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
DM has dangled the hook of all of us players running a session set somewhere in the world. We don't strictly have to keep it to 5e DnD, but the problem is getting people to play something else without dumping them in a huge pile of new systems.

But gently caress if I don't wanna play any other game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I must know more

It was mindbogglingly stupid but this is a pretty dry recounting of events, in that it tries much too hard to be fair-handed rather than roasting the ol' dingus for as many laughs as he's worth

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse_lawsuit

Note that the guy in question also ran for governor of Arizona once and according to a google trawl, also sued FurAffinity? I don't know why because im not clicking these fuckin links, I just get the feeling he has a deeply unfortunate litigious streak combined with a noticeable lack of self-awareness or sense of shame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anybody got a take on the Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops board game that's on kickstarter right now? I don't play enough board games to tell a bad one from a good one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Anybody got a take on the Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops board game that's on kickstarter right now? I don't play enough board games to tell a bad one from a good one.

I saw "dice-based push your luck" and immediately checked out tbh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse is fun times, and they recently released an RPG set in their, uh, multiverse. No idea about the system or anything though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Splicer posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse is fun times, and they recently released an RPG set in their, uh, multiverse. No idea about the system or anything though.

Wasn't it just using Mutants & Masterminds? Not that either of those things really necessitate the other in the first place, but unless you're already into Sentinels you might as well just get M&M by itself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

Wasn't it just using Mutants & Masterminds? Not that either of those things really necessitate the other in the first place, but unless you're already into Sentinels you might as well just get M&M by itself.
I'm putting forward sentinels as non-rpg superheroes with the added benefit of "and if you like it there's an RPG too!"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

That Old Tree posted:

Nah, it's using its own system that's sort of related to but not exactly the same as Marvel Heroic. Like a next gen descendant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/zarawesome/status/1008649290980495360

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd play it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I Am John's Cybernetic Pancreas

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: nah

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

If it's anything it's Marvel Heroic 2e - although significantly simplified from Cortex Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sentinels of the Multiverse can be fun, but it's an extremely fiddly board game, with lots of +1, +2, -1 modifiers everywhere. Also, you need to move to the advanced character decks as fast as possible. The simplistic character decks basically play themselves. Most of those players stuck with simply superheroes spent most of the game on their phones, and it didn't hold up the game because those decks were just that auto-pilot.