Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

can't believe the slave uprising involved killing the slavers

John Brown was America's Greatest Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Your guess is correct! From what I've seen, there are lots of "Where's the evidence???" and "This #metoo stuff has gone too far" cropping up in the comment sections of related articles.

I think Hardwick will just realign himself with the Gamergaters and become alt-right anti-sjw spokesman in a bid to cling onto his crumbling fame.

i am curious how Wheaton would react if that happen. if hardwick is empty as i hear, he will probaly go alt right to keep the fame.

Horseshoe theory posted:

yeah. he is.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

can’t wait for the Owen Benjamin/Chris Hardwick standup tour

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bioshock Infinite starts and you think this game could go anywhere, but as the game progresses it gets dumber and dumber, squandering everything the game does right to progress its incoherent story

Don't bring up 18th century racism and class oppression so you can just use it as window-dressing in a shooter

Don't have a literal goddamn revolution in the second act, and then treat it as totally meaningless

Don't constantly pretend like choices matter when the entire goddamn game is on rails like Half Life

(Also don't have a expansion pack that follows the exact same pattern: set up things so that it seems like anything to happen, only to strangle the whole thing through your desire to emotionally gently caress with the player and retconning the series so that you are the prime mover, not others)

My personal idea for fixing all of this (like we were in the middle of production and could see the problems): make it a comedy

Make the villain a 19th century American like Andrew Jackson or General Custer, who through shenanigans gains the ability first to see the future, and then to alter it. He sees where we are today: No Slavery! Race mixing! An aristocracy of wealth rather than of breeding! and is appalled. So, through shenaigans and probability he becomes like a person playing an RPG or Hearts of Iron or something: he can save and load at will, allowing him to alter the timeline into ever more improbable states while he tries to protect the values of a 19th century aristocrat. As he protects this center the rest of the world makes less and less sense, and you get hauled in to stop him - even though he has this unlimited saving and loading power which makes him invincible. If some of the Genuinely kickass people who caused positive change in America to be your Allies, that'd be good. John Brown and Fredrick Douglas come to mind, as do U.S. Grant, Harriet Tubman and William Tecumseh Sherman. Also if boss fighters were the most reactionary assholes in American History, that'd be very satisfying to riddle with bullets/blow up.

And you could keep your (admittedly awesome) old timey covers of modern songs, have your Eliza be the new Alyx, etc

If you wanna examine 19th/early 20th century American history, DIVE THE gently caress IN, don't just use it for texture. It is filled with gaping prolapsed anuses and incredible heroes, and sometimes odd mixtures of the two

(Also don't have the heroine casually murder the super big-daddy now that he's no longer useful)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

John Brown and Fredrick Douglas come to mind, as do U.S. Grant, Harriet Tubman and William Tecumseh Sherman.

Holy poo poo this has to be the party of characters I make in the next RPG I play.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Bioshock Infinite starts and you think this game could go anywhere, but as the game progresses it gets dumber and dumber, squandering everything the game does right to progress its incoherent story

Don't bring up 18th century racism and class oppression so you can just use it as window-dressing in a shooter

Don't have a literal goddamn revolution in the second act, and then treat it as totally meaningless

Don't constantly pretend like choices matter when the entire goddamn game is on rails like Half Life

(Also don't have a expansion pack that follows the exact same pattern: set up things so that it seems like anything to happen, only to strangle the whole thing through your desire to emotionally gently caress with the player and retconning the series so that you are the prime mover, not others)

My personal idea for fixing all of this (like we were in the middle of production and could see the problems): make it a comedy

Make the villain a 19th century American like Andrew Jackson or General Custer, who through shenanigans gains the ability first to see the future, and then to alter it. He sees where we are today: No Slavery! Race mixing! An aristocracy of wealth rather than of breeding! and is appalled. So, through shenaigans and probability he becomes like a person playing an RPG or Hearts of Iron or something: he can save and load at will, allowing him to alter the timeline into ever more improbable states while he tries to protect the values of a 19th century aristocrat. As he protects this center the rest of the world makes less and less sense, and you get hauled in to stop him - even though he has this unlimited saving and loading power which makes him invincible. If some of the Genuinely kickass people who caused positive change in America to be your Allies, that'd be good. John Brown and Fredrick Douglas come to mind, as do U.S. Grant, Harriet Tubman and William Tecumseh Sherman. Also if boss fighters were the most reactionary assholes in American History, that'd be very satisfying to riddle with bullets/blow up.

And you could keep your (admittedly awesome) old timey covers of modern songs, have your Eliza be the new Alyx, etc

If you wanna examine 19th/early 20th century American history, DIVE THE gently caress IN, don't just use it for texture. It is filled with gaping prolapsed anuses and incredible heroes, and sometimes odd mixtures of the two

(Also don't have the heroine casually murder the super big-daddy now that he's no longer useful)

my ideas for the backstory is closer to what i think they intented orignaly. somehow a bunch of rich fucks and the government fund a giant air city to make show Americas power/culture around the world. what no one knows is that columbia is also basicaly a flying dreadnought. everything goes well for a while until the boxer rebellion happens. the reactionary party of columbia led by comstock wins a vote to intercede and proceeds to bomb the poo poo out of peking with no cares of what he hits, so he ends up killing all the people the allies were supposed to rescue. the world goes nuts and the US called them to return, comestock says gently caress off but a bunch of people get mad and try to vote him out, he launches a coup supported by fink who would be promised full monopoly of industry or some poo poo. they leave america and kinda gently caress around. conditions slowly deteriorate. resistance movements start cropping up but there is lots of infighting over ideals and poo poo. the founders start going full conferderate fascist type which starts up various little sub groups like the crows. you could even keep the booker/comstock/elizbeth stuff but flesh it out more. also flesh out the factories and finkton and pretty much everything. add more side villains. the tears could still work but all the doctor Manhattan dimension hopping and smashing gets dropped.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Jun 18, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What is this,ancap twitter u fcking nerds

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ken Levine should have been ran out of AAA games development after Infinite, but it sold over 11 million copies which is 'can do nothing wrong' territory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tokamak posted:

Ken Levine should have been ran out of AAA games development after Infinite, but it sold over 11 million copies which is 'can do nothing wrong' territory.

He basically has been. He hasn’t made anything since then and doesn’t work for 2k anymore. He apparently has a tiny studio and is making something but I haven’t heard anything.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The process of getting Infinite out the door was such a total chore that 2k didn't want to work with him again afterwards.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Actually, he works for 2K and built a new studio out of the corpse of Irrational. You can burn people and good will as long as the money comes in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Epic High Five posted:

I really didn't think I'd get to the end and have "science ghost haunts busted up techno graveyard" be not even in the top 3 dumbest things

the ending of that game was the dumbest poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gab got kicked off coinbase and can’t convert crypto to fiat anymore

https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1007382915217612800?s=21

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:qq:

what got them banned?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

collocation posted:

I registered specifically for the purpose of passing along this info after lurking this thread for ages, but I may chime in from time to time in the future.

I know we’d all rather talk about video games, but have you considered writing the article(s) yourself? if you’re trying to shop this around, appeal to the writer’s laziness. Do a snarky write-up in the authors’ voice, and source your evidence adequately. They may be a bit reticent to follow your trail themselves, especially since they don’t know you. But if you drop a good article on their lap, sometimes they’ll just slap their name on it, hit “publish” and hit a happy hour.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am curious how Wheaton would react if that happen. if hardwick is empty as i hear, he will probaly go alt right to keep the fame.

I remember seeing a bit that he did on stage lamenting that nerd culture was being taken over by hipsters (chads) who were only doing it because it was suddenly cool to like comics and videogames without even a whiff of irony. I should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

FCKGW posted:

gab got kicked off coinbase and can’t convert crypto to fiat anymore

https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1007382915217612800?s=21

So they're cool with having an account until they get banned, at which point the website is cancer?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I remember seeing a bit that he did on stage lamenting that nerd culture was being taken over by hipsters (chads) who were only doing it because it was suddenly cool to like comics and videogames without even a whiff of irony. I should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Chris Hardwick or Whil Wheaties?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hardwick I assume. Wheaties isn’t a chud.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It gets even worse in the expansion, because they backpedal on Daisy Fitzroy being a bloodthirsty childkiller by showing that she knew in a deterministic sense that threatening to kill the capitalist's kid and getting merkd by Elizabeth would realize the best outcome. Because the twins showed it to her.

:negative:

glad I passed on the DLC lmao

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the best incredibly moronic part of bioshock infinite was the grand conclusion: "because you have the potential to become megahitler, Kill You Are Self"

every poo poo-stupid cliche about liberal white guilt made manifest in one moment. there is no choice. there is no ability to use what you have been granted by the whims of quantum technobabble fate for good. because you might, in one future, become the bad guy, the only way forward is to off yourself.

swear to god if any of the chuds could analyze media beyond the most superficial aesthetic bullshit, that game, and not Insert Girl Who Made Someone Mad Here, would have been the locus for their whole 'sjw conspiracy against the west' schtick

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's also stupid, and doesn't make sense.

friend, welcome to Bioshock: Infinite: Science Ghosts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the whole loving game is stupid. its sad. i love Bioshock 1 and 2 is pretty good on its own right, but lol at infinite. it has some cool ideas but the dimension poo poo ruins it, not to mention all the other stuff. I am just gonna wait for cyberpunk 2077 so i can shred corporate fucks with gun arm/blades.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ze Pollack posted:

the best incredibly moronic part of bioshock infinite was the grand conclusion: "because you have the potential to become megahitler, Kill You Are Self"

every poo poo-stupid cliche about liberal white guilt made manifest in one moment. there is no choice. there is no ability to use what you have been granted by the whims of quantum technobabble fate for good. because you might, in one future, become the bad guy, the only way forward is to off yourself.

swear to god if any of the chuds could analyze media beyond the most superficial aesthetic bullshit, that game, and not Insert Girl Who Made Someone Mad Here, would have been the locus for their whole 'sjw conspiracy against the west' schtick

It basically hinges on the idea that Booker will become Comstock even after knowing he could become Comstock - which only happens because of a divine revelation after he's baptized. The only way to make it work is if the preacher baptizes him in the river, but his head is struck on a rock and he gets a concussion that makes him forget everything about Columbia. And even if the player character's Booker becomes Comstock, he'd still have to go back in time to found Columbia.

It just gets more infuriating the more you think about it. It makes sense to have a deterministic narrative, but just because you've removed the possibility of choice that doesn't mean the outcome has to be illogical.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Jun 18, 2018

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hardwick was the one I was referring too. Used to be a fan.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Hardwick was the one I was referring too. Used to be a fan.

Attractive, Successful White Man: boy it sure sucks to have all these normies start getting into nerd poo poo, right guys?

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
Stop talking about video games. Ty.

And just in case: anime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Water777 posted:

Stop talking about video games. Ty.

And just in case: anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:qq:

what got them banned?

Knowing Coinbase, they probably committed the worst possible sin of trying to actually withdraw cash from their account.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shuuuuuut the fuuuuuuck up about videogames

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Shuuuuuut the fuuuuuuck up about videogames

I don’t even hate video games but this person is correct

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

At the start there it looked like "Toes across the floor" by Blind Melon. drat.

Wish i could contribute more about nazis and alt-right jerks in my neighborhood. Very rarely do they stick their necks out in Calgary, but
sometimes i've seen posters on the street that have the header "What is anti-fa?" at the top and the rest is all ripped away. Only one real
skinhead i've ever seen was on the train during daylight trying to provoke people with eye contact and loud conversation at his skinhead
buddy about skinhead stuff.

Montana's just south so i'm not suprised. If it was coming from somewhere between the Tsuut'ina nations and the Blood reserves
in that area just above Lethbridge that'd be their proving grounds imho I'd also hear a lot of rumors about there being some
kind of nazi ranch style thing outside of Provost, AB. and something about a nazi birthday cake too but that's all ancient.

You'd see stencils of SHARP in a lot of places in Calgary during the 90's.

Sort of solidified my belief that the stereotype of Canadains is just that. We hate too.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

so the dudes on my street putting up “God Bless Our Police” and “Proud To Stand For The National Anthem” signs are basically telling black people to stay out of my neighborhood, right??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

so the dudes on my street putting up “God Bless Our Police” and “Proud To Stand For The National Anthem” signs are basically telling black people to stay out of my neighborhood, right??

they're just economically anxious and are worried people are not respecting are troo-

:thunk:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Water777 posted:

At the start there it looked like "Toes across the floor" by Blind Melon. drat.

Wish i could contribute more about nazis and alt-right jerks in my neighborhood. Very rarely do they stick their necks out in Calgary, but
sometimes i've seen posters on the street that have the header "What is anti-fa?" at the top and the rest is all ripped away. Only one real
skinhead i've ever seen was on the train during daylight trying to provoke people with eye contact and loud conversation at his skinhead
buddy about skinhead stuff.

Montana's just south so i'm not suprised. If it was coming from somewhere between the Tsuut'ina nations and the Blood reserves
in that area just above Lethbridge that'd be their proving grounds imho I'd also hear a lot of rumors about there being some
kind of nazi ranch style thing outside of Provost, AB. and something about a nazi birthday cake too but that's all ancient.

You'd see stencils of SHARP in a lot of places in Calgary during the 90's.

Sort of solidified my belief that the stereotype of Canadains is just that. We hate too.
To deep dive on any local groups would be to look up the Daily Stormer BCs and TRS "pool parties" to see how they meet / organize and where but their forums are all hosed up right now which has caused problems. Odds are there's one in Calgary but it's a chore accessing those sites now and they've become super paranoid lately.

Edit: The TRS posters fear their identities could be exposed in discovery during Mike Enoch's lawsuit. Doubt that will happen but that has provoked fear in the ranks.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Jun 18, 2018

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

To deep dive on any local groups would be to look up the Daily Stormer BCs and TRS "pool parties" to see how they meet / organize and where but their forums are all hosed up right now which has caused problems. Odds are there's one in Calgary but it's a chore accessing those sites now and they've become super paranoid lately.

Edit: The TRS posters fear their identities could be exposed in discovery during Mike Enoch's lawsuit. Doubt that will happen but that has provoked fear in the ranks.

I'm curious about the nature of these weirdos but i'm unsure if i want to emulate one of them to see the dark side of their inhumanity.

Thanks for the tips. Sons of Odin was so far the most press-worthy clowns up here. They leafleted an area of NE Calgary a couple years back, which is
predominantly east asian and central asian, and got in trouble for harassing some white dude activist that was acting on his own. Nothing happened and
it all got forgotten.

I'm sure they're seeing bugs in all the corners nowadays. Reading this thread alone puts the score at 2/10.

E: Maybe it was Soldiers of Odin. still assholes, they we're all over here according to wiki.

Water777 has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Jun 18, 2018

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD
As someone who has hated Hardwick since he got his big break as the milquetoast host of a lovely dating show in the early '00s, this latest news is pretty god drat sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyway my favorite video game is Fable, and while I haven't thought about its politics they're probably a disaster like the rest of the writing