Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Moth is pretty great if you're worried about evidence since Moth Exalts are the only way to reach 10 moth on a follower. Hoodwink is kind of nice but a 10 moth can just eat evidence without a care and pretty much always succeed.

Lantern is one of the easiest modes if you just want a victory without much muss or fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

skeleton warrior posted:

Cool, thank you! Either rng hated me or I did the wrong things, but Way In The Wood never showed up in my last run.

The Wood spawns when you dream with passion + lantern/knock lore. Or maybe any sort of lore? I forget the specifics, but the point is it's not random at all.

e: Destroying evidence is capped at 70%, so there's not much point in a moth cult. You're much better off just summoning raw prophets.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I didn't actually know that evidence destroying was capped like that. That kind of puts a damper on being a moth cult if that's the case and especially once summons start getting involved.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Dragonturtle posted:

I didn't actually know that evidence destroying was capped like that. That kind of puts a damper on being a moth cult if that's the case and especially once summons start getting involved.

Yeah, it's total bullshit. Not only can they fail, but if they do they are gone permanently.

You can at least send them off on cult business to get loot, which I believe cannot fail. Not sure how that compares to Key or Forge.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What about Winter?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Wood spawns when you dream with passion + lantern/knock lore. Or maybe any sort of lore? I forget the specifics, but the point is it's not random at all.

Lantern/Knock/Moth. All the Ways (except the Stag Door) can be accessed with Lantern or Knock or one other, Moth for the Woods, Winter for the White, Grail for the Spider, Edge for the Peacock.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What about Winter?

Next time I play I'm going to try a Winter cult. My suspicion is that by the time you can Exalt a follower there's not really much point to zombies since you can reliably summon bigger and nastier things, but being able to spit them out on demand (sort of, ~90 seconds for the body, 60 seconds for the rite, normal chance of failed summon) instead of fishing for the right influence in the Mansus might come in handy.

You can get a 10 Winter influence from the Stag Door, which can Exalt a winter follower with a third-level Lore, so that's reasonably mid-game. I foresee the major problem being that, from memory, the Rites that can accept bodies as components are all from Expeditions rather than Morrland's or Auctions, so it might be hobbled by the RNG until lategame.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 17, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

60 hours in and I just realized the Watchman's Mirror is not a mirror with a big swipe of blonde hair, but a mirror partially covered by a cloth.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well now I'm gonna see it with the hair, thanks.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pretty ironic that this is the first game I kind of want to 100% the achievements for, and I can't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Okay gang, we've got a ritual that involves stabbing someone, someone to stab, and a reason to stab them. What are we missing?'
'A knife?'
'Fuuuuuuck'

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I wasted hours trying to get to 36 heart for a power victory before realizing it wanted forge.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
gently caress, my bad. I hate fever dreams.

Nightgull fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 18, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do you think Alexis Kennedy will be proud that his game has actually driven someone insane?

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I thought I heard my brother, but it was just Ysabet, doing Ysabet things. I found her in the Sage Knight’s Study. I can’t tell what she’s doing but the rain is very quiet here so I think I’ll sit and stay. I know I’m not really here - she hasn’t commented on my gross nakedness - but it’s comforting to have found someone.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else assume like I do that the suppression bureau is(wittingly or unwittingly) in service to an hour or perhaps the worms? I don’t imagine there are just a bunch of people with higher order knowledge about the Mansus (enough to identify its signs in others and combat and resist even creatures summoned from it) who just managed to neither go insane or be tempted to involvement one way or another. Perhaps its the egg unhatching, escaped and determined that humans stop getting all up in the glory and ruining it for everyone. Or the high level officials are just skin sacks full of worms cutting off new reinforcements to the cohort of the hours since new gods-from-stone no longer come into being so any new powers seem implicitly rooted in ascension by humanity

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think about them as investigators in Arkham Horror. People who are out of their depth, but have seen something they shouldn't have and just can't stop poking.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can definitely see that for the guys who are actually investigating you, someone higher up though has the knowledge to make the call on what evidence demands a conviction and enough power/influence to be operating as an officially empowered shadow arm of the government. And is also presumably discreetly covering up the corpses and the summoned demons and the misshapen knows who have begun to manifest physical marks instead of immediately screaming omg look at this crazy loving poo poo to the world at large

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a meddler here. He's been eating all my mystique cards.

He's been doing this a long time. He's going to pop damning evidence from nothing isnt he?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only erratic investigators can create evidence from no notoriety (mystique doesn’t count ever) but I believe even erratics won’t create damning from nothing, they still have to step up from tentative evidence

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Re: the bureau of suppression, I can't help but wonder if there might be a fully victory type for them in store for the future, with what you've put to thought up there.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

NewMars posted:

Re: the bureau of suppression, I can't help but wonder if there might be a fully victory type for them in store for the future, with what you've put to thought up there.

My single wish list is a competing cult

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Erratic investigators are easily one of the biggest threats to a successful run if you let them get out of hands. You have a couple options of handling investigators but some of the options are far more dangerous than the others.

If you ended up with someone like Connie or someone else with the tenacious trait take it very slowly and try to manage your notoriety by having your heart cultists working to remove it until you can manage to get her under control either through Hiring the 5 edge muscle from explorations over and over until she finally gets killed by him or Tell the investigator about your highest level of winter lore and if that fails and they gain a buff from it, tell them about your highest lantern lore.

Note that if you end up with an erratic investigator you will want to kill that jackass immediately because if RNG goes sour he will ruin your run.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I sat with an erratic investigator from start to finish with my grail ascension, admittedly I didn’t get rnged on baseless evidence too often and that was also balanced by gettin if none out of some heavy notoriety, but i had no problems conjuring up a raw prophet to just deal with evidence as soon as it became damning

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So how many ways are there to deal with investigators? So far I've found you can:

- Kill them with an Edge minion, though some of them are Tenacious which makes it much harder, and some can be warded against summons as well.
- Poison them with poison, obviously, which has always worked when I've tried it.
- Talk to them with Dread, Winter lore or Lantern lore to drive them insane although being an Idealist seems to make them immune.

Is there anything else? The tooltip for Idealist suggests you can turn their ideals against them but I can't figure out how.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I think the tooltips for grim/idealist just means that the respective lore types have either a bonus success chance against inspectors with those buffs or it becomes a straight lunacy one-shot.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Fascination works like Lantern does when talking to them. I've also noticed higher levels of lore are more likely to succeed than lower levels. You can see the text change if you swap the card between a level 2 and a level 10 lore, for example.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do you imprison hirelings again? I've done it before but I can't remember which card combinations make it happen.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do you imprison hirelings again? I've done it before but I can't remember which card combinations make it happen.

That’s what your Headquarters is for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pirate Radar posted:

That’s what your Headquarters is for.

Oh well that's something i had not thought of recently

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I noticed that there is an upside to having tons of Mystique lying around. While it does make investigators investigate longer, they'll always suck up Mystique first before sucking up Notoriety, so you could just keep generating Mystique and stay away from notorious acts to obfuscate your cult and wait for the Notoriety to time out.

Physician start is my favorite so far, he's got a steady job that doesn't ever decay (does he have tenure?) and pays better than most day labor. Anybody who needs to keep their head down and just concentrate on surviving for a while does well to be a physician.

I got *pretty* close to my first victory. I was heavy into an Enlightenment ending, regularly grabbing prisoners and sucking their brains dry, until a series of disasters had all my kidnapping-able cultists die and I fell into a death spiral where I got mind-hungry again and couldn't recover. drat.

Synthbuttrange posted:

'Okay gang, we've got a ritual that involves stabbing someone, someone to stab, and a reason to stab them. What are we missing?'
'A knife?'
'Fuuuuuuck'

Haha. Nice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
They won't always suck up mystique if there's notoriety on the board -- sometimes they'll leap straight for the notoriety, they seem to roll randomly to take whatever is available. If you can keep them busy long enough you can "time out" the evidence though.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Speedball posted:

I noticed that there is an upside to having tons of Mystique lying around. While it does make investigators investigate longer, they'll always suck up Mystique first before sucking up Notoriety, so you could just keep generating Mystique and stay away from notorious acts to obfuscate your cult and wait for the Notoriety to time out.

Physician start is my favorite so far, he's got a steady job that doesn't ever decay (does he have tenure?) and pays better than most day labor. Anybody who needs to keep their head down and just concentrate on surviving for a while does well to be a physician.

I got *pretty* close to my first victory. I was heavy into an Enlightenment ending, regularly grabbing prisoners and sucking their brains dry, until a series of disasters had all my kidnapping-able cultists die and I fell into a death spiral where I got mind-hungry again and couldn't recover. drat.

Haha. Nice.

you can also get prisoners via recruiting hirelings from the "explore" verb, then tossing them in your hideout.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

On the topic of eating people, I get that the Sensation path has you physically devouring people and Enlightenment has you eating minds, do you consume people on the Forge path to Power too?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Speedball posted:

I like the idea of a demigod, terrible in his splendour, taking time in between devouring the essence of mere mortals and exploring places mankind has forgotten about to take a look at Mrs. Wheatley's gout.

On a more serious note, I feel like I've really messed up by making my cult Grail-based. In general, the availability of aspects doesn't seem equal at all, Lantern seems to be just about anywhere, meanwhile I haven't seen a single Grail artifact and had to resort to using summons to promote my followers past believer.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Speedball posted:

On the topic of eating people, I get that the Sensation path has you physically devouring people and Enlightenment has you eating minds, do you consume people on the Forge path to Power too?

No, you consume funds to fuel your self immolation.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Capilarean posted:

I like the idea of a demigod, terrible in his splendour, taking time in between devouring the essence of mere mortals and exploring places mankind has forgotten about to take a look at Mrs. Wheatley's gout.

On a more serious note, I feel like I've really messed up by making my cult Grail-based. In general, the availability of aspects doesn't seem equal at all, Lantern seems to be just about anywhere, meanwhile I haven't seen a single Grail artifact and had to resort to using summons to promote my followers past believer.

Restlessness has 3 grail/lantern/forge

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The game really feels like it was designed around Lantern with other stuff added. It has good, easy to access summons, it's one of the two types of Lore required to progress, it has one of the only Aspect victories, and it does feel like there's a little more in the way of books/artifacts, especially early game. Even the overarching lore seems like Lantern is the canon way for the character to ascend.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The default start also gives you the Lantern ambition and a Watchman's Secret.

e: It might give you an Occult Scrap too, I don't remember.

e2: Oh yeah, and one of the early expeditions has a guaranteed Lantern artifact as a reward.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 18, 2018

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I guess maybe think of a Lantern cult as an easier difficulty setting? They seem pretty set on adding new content and things they didn't get time for, so hopefully the benefits of other cults will be fleshed out down the line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I've found plenty of artefacts with Lantern, but in several games so far (bar my first one, by some coincidence) I've had basically no luck finding Lantern lore except the first level 2. I even went Lantern cult in about half of them. Annoyingly, in most of them the riddle's answer was Lantern.

e: That said, it's not as insanely rare as Edge lore. I mean, come on. I don't think I've ever managed to finish an Edge commission.