Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stare:

That's beyond plinking territory I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There are air rifles that seriously compete with firearms for power, all the way up to .50 caliber. Remember that the Girandoni fired a .46 caliber round at 500 FPS and was used in warfare.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As the owner of a .22 Benjamin in CT. I’d recommend it over a bb gun anyday. No spring, Pump action, no silencer. Still quiet and easily takes out squirrels. I’d love to upgrade it to a more modern gun with a silencer though.

I’ve also got a .177 tank fed anschutz but that’s a wholly different beast.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:stare:

That's beyond plinking territory I think

Looked for a youtube review of it and saw a dude headshotting wild pigs and killing them dead.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That sounds amazing except I don't hunt. I guess it's a good option if you want to hunt/target shoot if you're a convicted felon or living somewhere that makes it difficult to own firearms.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

M_Gargantua posted:

As the owner of a .22 Benjamin in CT. I’d recommend it over a bb gun anyday. No spring, Pump action, no silencer. Still quiet and easily takes out squirrels. I’d love to upgrade it to a more modern gun with a silencer though.

I’ve also got a .177 tank fed anschutz but that’s a wholly different beast.

Any good places in Central CT? I was gonna go check out Hoffman's on the Berlin turnpike.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

Well, err, air rifles have sure gotten different since I was a kid.

.45 caliber rounds doing 850 fps, holy moly.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_Hercules_QE_Air_Rifle/4160/7950

jesus thats the fps of a 1911 i think

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve been contemplating a Gamo whisper in .177 for plinking Brown basilisks in my backyard. Invasive fuckheads poo poo on my pool deck all the time, and scare my nearly-blind dog.

:argh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Any good places in Central CT? I was gonna go check out Hoffman's on the Berlin turnpike.

Hoffmans is the go to for a big store with a big selection. Blue trail in Wallingford is a fine 100yrd range with a small store attached that will gladly custom order whatever you could (legally) ask for. Hoffman’s has a small indoor range for handguns that’s always packed and you pay by the hour. Blue trail also has a bigger indoor range, but that only allows .22. Their outdoor and trap range iirc are both pay for the day rather than by the hour.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Went up to Medicine Bow and it was still very much snowed in.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Got some new .500 loads off of Gunbroker and they're very pleasant to shoot. 300gr JHP rounds doing only about 1350fps
In other news, my reloading setup came in (Dillon 550) and I'm deffo ready to start cranking rounds out. I fully expect to become a fat old man in six months.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

New optic :toot:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Got some new .500 loads off of Gunbroker and they're very pleasant to shoot. 300gr JHP rounds doing only about 1350fps
In other news, my reloading setup came in (Dillon 550) and I'm deffo ready to start cranking rounds out. I fully expect to become a fat old man in six months.

lol "only" 300gr bullet doing .357mag velocities. :stare:

I really want a .44mag revolver of some sort.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

lol "only" 300gr bullet doing .357mag velocities. :stare:

I really want a .44mag revolver of some sort.

Well, I mean the alternative is 350-450gr rounds doing 1500+ FPS and lol at that

Then you have the weirdos who shoot giant 700gr rounds at those velocities. It’s a minor miracle that people don’t break their wrists with those.

It just kills people, occasionally
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearingarms.com/bob-o/2013/11/07/negligent-suicide-with-a-500-smith-wesson-revolver/amp/

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, I mean the alternative is 350-450gr rounds doing 1500+ FPS and lol at that

Then you have the weirdos who shoot giant 700gr rounds at those velocities. It’s a minor miracle that people don’t break their wrists with those.

It just kills people, occasionally
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearingarms.com/bob-o/2013/11/07/negligent-suicide-with-a-500-smith-wesson-revolver/amp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzyqiT1FFA

lol 300gr @ 2,000 FPS

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did my first hike of the year with a starting elevation of 9k-ish feet. Lungs definitely need more time at altitude. Was sucking today. Only got a couple shots before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

The Rat posted:

New optic :toot:

What's the doodad at the top end of the rail?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

The Rat posted:

Did my first hike of the year with a starting elevation of 9k-ish feet. Lungs definitely need more time at altitude. Was sucking today. Only got a couple shots before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Dude, 9k feet is serious business for thin air. I think pilots are required to have oxygen on board at around 12k, and they sure as hell arent trudging up the side of a mountain.

Ie. Sucking is normal.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Water777 posted:

What's the doodad at the top end of the rail?

Are you talking about the 45° offset BUIS, or the DBAL?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

not caring here posted:

Dude, 9k feet is serious business for thin air. I think pilots are required to have oxygen on board at around 12k, and they sure as hell arent trudging up the side of a mountain.

Ie. Sucking is normal.

Oh yeah it's definitely normal, but also eye-opening when you haven't had that altitude in a while.

Speaking of sucking, I did :medicore: on most of the 3-gun stages yesterday, but did all right on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1idRG_makY

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Rat posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely normal, but also eye-opening when you haven't had that altitude in a while.

Speaking of sucking, I did :medicore: on most of the 3-gun stages yesterday, but did all right on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1idRG_makY

Is the goal on that last swingy-bit to get it to one 180° rotation, or score some fixed number of hits? Pretty cool either way.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, you have to get the spinner to flip over. Not too hard with a shotgun, much harder with a pistol. It's timing in addition to accuracy and speed.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there a good website for finding maps for hiking in a national forest?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Is there a good website for finding maps for hiking in a national forest?

Look up the particular forest? The Seminole State Forest nearby has its own map that they publish on their website.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Look up the particular forest? The Seminole State Forest nearby has its own map that they publish on their website.

Yeah I am but the website is kinda poo poo

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

REI’s National Parks app is pretty good

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I hear the app gets a great virtue signal out in the sticks.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MAD ABOUT MAH CAMELBAKS

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Re: maps

If there are any National Geographic maps of the forest in question, that's my first choice. They're UTM/MGRS marked and very tough. (One of these types: https://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Nati...3e-3c98a5523bbd ) It can sometimes help to check them out before buying though. Usually the scale is fine, but I once got one (North Cascades) that was laughably small, like grid squares were the size of my pinky nail small.

If those aren't available, I'll find the area in question on this site here and print something out in MGRS for myself: https://mappingsupport.com/p/coordinates-mgrs-google-maps.html

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you have access to a plotter or other large-scale printer (like for architectural drawings), you can squeeze a few 1:24K map sheets onto one large sheet of paper, then separate and laminate them. It takes a bit of effort, but it's a neat way to get a whole bunch of adjoining maps of an area for cheap. I think one high quality color sheet out of the plotter at my school was about $13, which I could fit three maps on. Add in the cost of a roll of stick-on laminate, like the same kind that you'd have used in the Army, etc. and each map only winds up costing a few bucks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not what you're looking for, but NatGeo has most or all of the country's topo maps available free in PDF format. Can't remember the scale, but it's pretty far-in.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did a moderate hike up to some glacial lakes I haven't visited before.

Michigan lake.

Saw these flowers facing the lake and thought I'd try one of those artsy shallow DOF shots.

Snow lake.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

It's okay. I didn't like my wrists, anyway

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
700 grain what in the gently caress did they grind down a piece of rebar

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This is a chunk of polymer-coated lead that fills up every millimeter of the cylinder. A comparable size of rebar would actually be lighter

I will shoot it this weekend. Pray for me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

not caring here posted:

700 grain what in the gently caress did they grind down a piece of rebar

I lold

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
What the gently caress

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:stare: That's even heavier than any of the bullets I have for ~*~MY BARRETT~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

The Rat posted:

:stare: That's even heavier than any of the bullets I have for ~*~MY BARRETT~*~

Post photos please so I can live vicariously through you :)